Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

McGregor was just doing a Taz impression for Roadhouse and you can’t convince me otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Taz the wrestler or Taz the Warner Brothers whirlwind guy? Either one works for him being incomprehensible.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

A MIRACLE posted:

McGregor was just doing a Taz impression for Roadhouse and you can’t convince me otherwise

That is a perfect and perfectly apt description

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Yeah, when I was talking to my coworkers about Road House shortly after its release, I referenced A MIRACLE’s earlier post (below) as a perfect description of McGregor’s performance.

It’s honestly the only explanation that makes sense.

A MIRACLE posted:

I think the director told Conor to do his best Taz impression and he did a pretty good job from that perspective

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Last night I watched 1958's The Big Country, available on Tubi and Pluto and MGM+.

Wow. It's about a boat captain who goes out into the Old West to get married and gets dragged into a dumbass feud between two ranching families. The scenery is superb, the acting is on point, and there's some actual subtlety and nuance in the message and the storytelling, way more than most 50's westerns. Burl Ives, of all people, won an Oscar for his performance in this thing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Baby Raindeer is one of the most hosed up things I've seen on TV. Not sure if I regret watching it or not.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

mcmagic posted:

Baby Raindeer is one of the most hosed up things I've seen on TV. Not sure if I regret watching it or not.

I watched the first episode on the weekend while tripping

I had no idea how bad an idea that was lol

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I'm nearly halfway through Baby Reindeer, and so far it's one of the best shows I've seen in ages

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

mcmagic posted:

It was already on my list you don't need to keep selling it

Pepe Arnold
Mar 9, 2024
We just finished RIPLEY the other night and I thought it was excellent. My only real complaint plot wise was the big boat scene where he climbs back up on the boat via the rope after getting knocked out by the anchor that totally snapped me out of it from a realism perspective and reminded me we’re in TV land. Way more than the beard and wig which I didn’t hate. I love the way it was shot, the black and white and the crispness of everything from NYC, to Atrani, Rome, Venice. Everything looked absolutely beautiful. I love the pacing of the episodes and the tediousness of it all. I need something similar to watch now!

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
That part of the big boat scene was strange. Like, they could have skipped it and the scene would have worked as well, if not better.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

nonathlon posted:

That part of the big boat scene was strange. Like, they could have skipped it and the scene would have worked as well, if not better.

Yeah agreed, it was bad. In general I thought they could have cut a lot of stuff out and it would have been better for it. The whole mafia subplot was also extraneous (although I did enjoy that actor).

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Pepe Arnold posted:

We just finished RIPLEY...
Not sure if you saw Equalizer 3, but Dakota Fanning is also in that and it's also filmed in the same location as Ripley. We watched it very recently, and it was weird seeing the same person in the same place that it almost seemed out of place, if that makes sense.

I guess she just wanted to get paid to spend 6 months in Italy so she took a couple movies/shows back-to-back there. :D

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Man I miss Shogun already

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I think I'm enjoying Fallout?

Only two episodes in but it does have issues with pacing and sequencing (really introduced the Brotherhood of Steel stuff too early -- let us feel the loneliness of entering the wasteland first goddammit).

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Only two episodes in but it does have issues with pacing and sequencing (really introduced the Brotherhood of Steel stuff too early -- let us feel the loneliness of entering the wasteland first goddammit).
i think it's a very effective adaptation, and also I'm just not that into the Fallout games. the visuals are great, but it's dragging everything out way too long for something where my primary emotional response to all of it is Sensible Chuckle

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Did not see Shogun being a prequel to Frasier coming

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Last night I watched 1958's The Big Country, available on Tubi and Pluto and MGM+.

Wow. It's about a boat captain who goes out into the Old West to get married and gets dragged into a dumbass feud between two ranching families. The scenery is superb, the acting is on point, and there's some actual subtlety and nuance in the message and the storytelling, way more than most 50's westerns. Burl Ives, of all people, won an Oscar for his performance in this thing.

I love this movie, it's wonderful. Like you say, lots of layers for a western of that era, including an interesting exploration of masculinity.

Great scenes, big and small. Now I'm thinking of the part where Gregory Peck walks off alone and everyone is freaking out looking for him thinking he's lost and he shows up and goes "Relax, I had a compass."

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm on episode 2 of Ripley now and I can't get my head around him. He clearly sees the "robbed" woman and taxi driver as the scam it is, but on the other hand he fell for a taxi scam himself in the first episode. And he's like "tons of money to transport a suspicious suitcase? what could possibly go wrong? what is this 'mafia' thing?" In one moment he's an idiot and in the next he's a crime savant.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I'm only 1 episode in, but showing the wasteland before Lucy left the vault was an absolutely baffling decision.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ymgve posted:

I'm on episode 2 of Ripley now and I can't get my head around him. He clearly sees the "robbed" woman and taxi driver as the scam it is, but on the other hand he fell for a taxi scam himself in the first episode. And he's like "tons of money to transport a suspicious suitcase? what could possibly go wrong? what is this 'mafia' thing?" In one moment he's an idiot and in the next he's a crime savant.

I thought the mafia suitcase thing was him playing dumb with Dickey a was a convenient way to get rid of him. "oh oops guess the mob got him" he's obviously not dumb when dealing with them later

Pepe Arnold
Mar 9, 2024

ymgve posted:

Honestly it’s what made him believable to me. Criminals tend to be very stupid, despite being clever and good (at times?) liars. He’s like a dumb Frank Abagnale.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

1glitch0 posted:

I'm only 1 episode in, but showing the wasteland before Lucy left the vault was an absolutely baffling decision.

It breaks my brain quite frankly.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Upsidads posted:

Man I miss Shogun already

Watch The Sympathizer.

e: because it's good, not because it's Asian.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

PlushCow posted:

I love this movie, it's wonderful. Like you say, lots of layers for a western of that era, including an interesting exploration of masculinity.

Great scenes, big and small. Now I'm thinking of the part where Gregory Peck walks off alone and everyone is freaking out looking for him thinking he's lost and he shows up and goes "Relax, I had a compass."

Gregory Peck is a big tough guy, but he's not a tough guy in their incredibly specific way so they think he's just a "dude". Then he goes on to surprise them in lots of ways, this part included. This has a lot of resonance for many people in 2024.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

I thought the mafia suitcase thing was him playing dumb with Dickey a was a convenient way to get rid of him. "oh oops guess the mob got him" he's obviously not dumb when dealing with them later

I think it's literally about contriving any reason to get Dickie away from Marge.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Re Ripley:

I think he fell for the taxi scam because of the language barrier (you see his response to guy evolve as he gets better with the language).

I read the Mafia guy in two ways. One--a leopard can't change his spots. The guy was offering an angle, and Ripley is obviously comfortable working with him later to sell the boat. Two--I saw it as a way of Ripley testing what Dickie would or not fall for. As a scam artist, it feels like it would make sense to figure out if your mark is naive, easily flattered/charmed, or just completely oblivious.

I think one is more likely as written, but I could see two as the kind of subtext that might apply if that scene is in the novel.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The Modern Leper posted:

Re Ripley:

I think one is more likely as written, but I could see two as the kind of subtext that might apply if that scene is in the novel.

It's been a while, but I think that entire subplot is fresh material.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think it's literally about contriving any reason to get Dickie away from Marge.

I like this reading

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

anyone watching Tokyo Vice? Considering picking it up with my limited time on this earth.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Famethrowa posted:

anyone watching Tokyo Vice? Considering picking it up with my limited time on this earth.

Yes, definitely worth it IMO.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

I loved the first season, thought the 2000s setting and story were really great, also an impressive effort to get the non-Japanese actors to speak actual Japanese throughout it. I've only seen the first episode of season 2, which felt overwhelming after waiting 2 years for it, but I've been told it's just as good.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

It’s really great.

I can’t find the second season streaming any where in Australia though. It was on paramount plus, but both seasons have now disappeared. :(

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Famethrowa posted:

I liked the first season, I haven't seen the second but I intend to.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

sick thanks folks. it looked like Michael Mann directing a live action Yakuza (game) adaptation so it really caught my eye.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's a drama/thriller. There's really not any action to speak of (there's some physical violence but it's not framed for thrills) so if you're looking for that, it will disappoint.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Does it follow the book pretty closely or is it just taking the title?

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
I haven’t read the book but it’s my understanding that the show is faithful to it.

It would’ve been funny if instead of adapting the book they adapted the author’s mundane life as a reporter who would later fabricate the events described in the book.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Does it follow the book pretty closely or is it just taking the title?

I've only read the first half to two thirds, and while it takes a lot of details the show is often its own thing in terms of how they're adapting it.

It's not, like, the characters suddenly discover power armour and shoot up aliens, but it's far more serialised than the episodic book and the supporting characters are actual characters rather than anecdotal references (if you get what I mean).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That's my understanding of it too. It maintains a lot of the verifiable claims in the book but tones down some of the more egregious self promotion.

But it also ups the tension and explores the ramifications a bit.