Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Didn't Ansel Egort get cancelled? Or am I thinking of someone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Peccadillo posted:

Didn't Ansel Egort get cancelled? Or am I thinking of someone else

uhhhhhh well apparently yes. sexual assault of a 17 year old that he dismisses and claims age of consent laws in NY make it ok anyway.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah that

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Raped a kid! Poor behaviour

Pepe Arnold
Mar 9, 2024
He's the worst part of the show. A very enjoyable show that would have been way way way more fun without Jake-san and Samantha-san

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Pepe Arnold posted:

He's the worst part of the show. A very enjoyable show that would have been way way way more fun without Jake-san and Samantha-san

yeah just from the previews I was a little bummed it wasn't a Japanese show from a Japanese perspective about the Yakuza so if that exists I'm all ears

E. Of course the real answer is the Way of the House Husband adaptation.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's 100% worth putting up with Ansel Egort for the pleasures of Ken Watanabe and his Fairlady Z.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

eighty-four merc posted:

I haven’t read the book but it’s my understanding that the show is faithful to it.

It would’ve been funny if instead of adapting the book they adapted the author’s mundane life as a reporter who would later fabricate the events described in the book.

Lmao

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Enos Cabell posted:

It's 100% worth putting up with Ansel Egort for the pleasures of Ken Watanabe and his Fairlady Z.

:haibrow:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've been recently enraptured by the idea of a "phone movie" or a "phone show" which is something you can put on while sitting around doing stuff on your phone half paying attention and not miss a whole lot. 2019's Midway is an excellent phone movie. What other movies or shows fall in that category?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah, that's the thing. He is a germ, but is actually pretty decent in the show.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've been recently enraptured by the idea of a "phone movie" or a "phone show" which is something you can put on while sitting around doing stuff on your phone half paying attention and not miss a whole lot. 2019's Midway is an excellent phone movie. What other movies or shows fall in that category?

To me thats something that strong in one category and weak in a few others.

Maybe take your favorite actors and find shows or films that had middling ratings.

Either that or shows with a known good studio / Director, i.e. something that might have good individual scenes to it but otherwise weak.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

British Bake Off? Most anime? Comedies from the aughts? Seems like it's pretty easy to find.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Mystery science theater 3k and Rifftrax are my go to background movies. But I've seen most of them multiple times so ymmv

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Alone is good for that. Most of time they're just wihinging about being lonely or hungry but every now and then one of them kills an animal or gets spooked by a bear

The English one is nigh on insufferable though, what a pack of whiny cunts

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

America's is great because they have cops and soldiers who immediately go home and it gets won by some old hippy who's just kinda outdoorsy and is fine for like four months

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Peccadillo posted:

America's is great because they have cops and soldiers who immediately go home and it gets won by some old hippy who's just kinda outdoorsy and is fine for like four months

Yeah I love one of the early ones with the former priest that wins. He's single with two kids and is struggling at the end but just says "welp what am I gonna do. Going home and losing is simply not an option." Meanwhile all the survival experts tap out.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wasnt there a guy who only stopped because they told him it was over at like 6 months? LIke that dude could have gone on indefinitely.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shageletic posted:

Wasnt there a guy who only stopped because they told him it was over at like 6 months? LIke that dude could have gone on indefinitely.

Roland from ... Season 6-ish? That dude was a beast (and I think just like... A trucker?). I remember someone here or in Reddit sort of half jokingly saying they probably had to edit that season to even make it look competitive.

Pepe Arnold
Mar 9, 2024
I love that show. I need a new season. Although everyone fattening up and then just eating into their fat stores to last longer kind of ruined it. I think they should only be allowed to put on like 5% of body weight between casting and filming. I think Biko the troll hunter was the first guy to just gain as much weight as he could before going out.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
It totally worked for him too, he made it very far even though basically every one of his attempts at finding protein failed miserably.

Nothing will ever top the guy finishing the musk ox off with his knife, that was insane

I made the mistake of checking out Naked and Afraid after finishing all of Alone, and the former is such a joke in comparison.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Papercut posted:

Nothing will ever top the guy finishing the musk ox off with his knife, that was insane

That was Roland (and it was Season 7 apparently... not 6 like I said). I think my wife and I picked him to win from like ep 1 or 2 on. It was very clear he's just a different breed of a person than everyone else.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Naked and Afraid is more for the instant breakdowns over their conditions versus the competition and survival aspect. It’s good in its own way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

Naked and Afraid is more for the instant breakdowns over their conditions versus the competition and survival aspect. It’s good in its own way.

Yeah if you want to watch a survivalist show and be impressed by people's skills watch Alone. If you want to watch naked people scream about ants biting their genitals watch Naked and Afraid. I like them both.

Pepe Arnold
Mar 9, 2024
I actually didn’t hate that Netflix survival show Outlast. They got killed for the breakdown of the rules and those girls being psychopaths but I didn’t hate it. Id gladly watch another season.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BonoMan posted:

That was Roland (and it was Season 7 apparently... not 6 like I said). I think my wife and I picked him to win from like ep 1 or 2 on. It was very clear he's just a different breed of a person than everyone else.

Sounds like the Arthurian Roland fell out of a time machine

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Well now I want to watch a reality show. I bet I could do it, I've watched a lot of bear grylls and Im very familiar with smokable plants

Queenpins was fun to watch. Two suburban women invent a scheme to make millions seeking coupons, but in so doing also make the mistake of crossing the most terrifying, far reaching shadow government organization of them all--the USPS. It says at one point there aren't any bad guys or good guys, and that's how it felt to watch, just fun (and some consequences). It made me want to be a postal inspector. Good date movie, especially if you or your date is a freak about organization and planning.

Butcher's Crossing is part of my continuing (infinite??) oath to watch every Nicholas Cage movie, at least the ones available for streaming. It's Moby Dick as a Western about buffalo hunting, and it swings hard from hokey to pretty darn good. A citified boy from back east joins a buffalo hunt led by Captain Ahab. I have no idea how they did some of the buffalo sequences aside from just shooting and butchering actual buffalo, so prepare for an anatomy lesson or three there.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Inkmaster is great because it's pure sleazy cheese, with the added bonus of seeing some absolute carnage being done permanently to someone's skin.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

I have a theory that you can gauge their chances at success depending on whether or not they prioritize covering their junk

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

#1 Naked and Afraid episode for me has to be the one where the chick wiped her rear end in the small pond they were using for drinking water and the next day all the fish died

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Tiny Timbs posted:

#1 Naked and Afraid episode for me has to be the one where the chick wiped her rear end in the small pond they were using for drinking water and the next day all the fish died

Outlast on Netflix tried to bill all of its contestants as hardcore survivalists and then on day 1 they're exploring the area and this person drank water straight from the pond while all their teammates were like wtf you need to filter it first wtfffff and then they dropped out the next day hahaha

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Papercut posted:

Outlast on Netflix tried to bill all of its contestants as hardcore survivalists and then on day 1 they're exploring the area and this person drank water straight from the pond while all their teammates were like wtf you need to filter it first wtfffff and then they dropped out the next day hahaha

lol this happened on Alone too. A guy thought that moss would filter some water from an EXTREMELY lazy ‘stream’.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I haven't watched a ton of it, but I think my personal favorite was one of the Naked and Afraid XL that had a team of 3 guys spend all day working naked in an African summer heat swearing that they didn't need food or water because they were strong. Insisting to the other team they ran into that they didn't need water yet and that obviously the smartest move was to spend all day gathering and very strenuously chopping wood to build a big shelter. Everybody was hosed up by the second day and one went into, I think, seizures from electrolyte depletion and they had to evac him. Just incredible to watch 3 idiots run themselves into the ground.

Alone does have the fun moments where the cop or army guy sees bear poop, realizes that this poo poo :) is real, and taps out after 30 minutes. To be fair, I would also do that, but that's why I wouldn't go on the show.

Or the kind of fun one where they got a guy who was just angry as hell and being a prick about how he was going to min-max the competition. "No you don't get it, fishing is calorie negative. It's worthless so I won't do it. Oh, these idiots are building nice shelters and crafting. I won't do it. I saw someone make a little hoop game to play. Idiots. I'm just going to sit here on my stump all day and outlast them all :smug:." And he went stir-crazy after about a week of that and tapped out because he was losing his mind. Turns out having little luxuries or distractions is kind of important.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 27, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Jackie Chan's Miracles is on Max and Criterion and if you haven't seen it, highly recommended. Chan's directorial remake of a Frank Capra film, and in between the frankly charming Hong Kong romcom you have some of the greatest fights ever filmed.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

A guy on the British one tapped out on day one because he hit himself with his axe on the thigh and had to go to the hospital. Confident man

Another one had a heart attack

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Alone australia season 2 is currently airing if you can find it. They're on the south island of new zealand and it's pretty good so far.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hundreds of Beavers is amazing, just wildly inventive. Feels like a live action Looney Tunes and had us laughing hard throughout.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

My favorite Alone contestant was the cop in one of the first seasons who talked all this poo poo about how he's ready for this because he deals with animals all day in the streets, and then immediately calls for emergency extraction the first night because he can hear animal sounds.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Class Warcraft posted:

My favorite Alone contestant was the cop in one of the first seasons who talked all this poo poo about how he's ready for this because he deals with animals all day in the streets, and then immediately calls for emergency extraction the first night because he can hear animal sounds.

I love when other contestants bring this guy up, truly a legend for being a blowhard coward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
There sounds like there is too much Alone/Alone-adjacent content out there, what's the best season to grab?