Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

trying to figure out if Dark City is a 90s movie or a 2000s movie

Peak 90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Is there any way to force YouTube to play an actually high quality video stream? I'm visiting my parents and apparently 70mbps isn't enough to stop it picking an incredibly blocky 1080p. I don't mind buffering etc at the start.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
On what platform? There are some Chrome extensions that force that automatically, and you can manually select it in browser. Otherwise I think you're out of luck.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

On what platform? There are some Chrome extensions that force that automatically, and you can manually select it in browser. Otherwise I think you're out of luck.

Any browser - it won't play HD for purchased media on my chrome for whatever reason so I have to use safari, but picking 1080p isn't enough. It'll still prioritise not buffering over maintaining image quality and doesn't buffer very far when paused.

Increasingly considering taking out a nordvpn subscription.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Plug whatever your using in with a Lan cord? What modern household doesn't have like four dusty rear end lan cords

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'd argue 90s peak was Army of Darkness

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

everything bruce campbell is in feels distinctly 80s to me

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Bruce Campbell is timeless

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I'm not sure how no one mentioned The Rock when it comes to the most 90s action movie ever but I am angry and disappointed and now gonna go watch The Rock

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

B-Rock452 posted:

I'm not sure how no one mentioned The Rock when it comes to the most 90s action movie ever but I am angry and disappointed and now gonna go watch The Rock

more movies should have glowing green orbs

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Peccadillo posted:

I think claiming yourself a cancer survivor from having a schwannoma is like saying you survived the plague because you saw a rat in a dream once

Technical true but it's weird

E: whoop meant to put this all in the genchat thread, I have cancer not allowed to be mad at me

the internet says schwannoma's rarely, but sometimes, form in the penis. i hope yours is not in the penis

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm really happy that general consensus on xXx:SotU has turned around and people finally are recognizing that it's the good kind of stupid.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

distortion park posted:

Any browser - it won't play HD for purchased media on my chrome for whatever reason so I have to use safari, but picking 1080p isn't enough. It'll still prioritise not buffering over maintaining image quality and doesn't buffer very far when paused.

Hm. I think I read something a while back about YouTube loving with quality for non-Premium members, so it could be related to that.

Upsidads posted:

I'd argue 90s peak was Army of Darkness

Very far off from where my mind goes. Something like Six String Samurai feels like it embodies 90s sensibilities far more, in that it most reflects the attitudes and peculiarities of Gen X most fully.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Dark City's a great example of my idea of 90s vibes because it ends on the corny CGI psychic battles that don't really hold up at all. Stuff like The Frighteners, Virtuosity and The Thirteenth Floor; for me the most 90s thing is a premature belief that we were in the golden age of special effects and could capture wild sci fi concepts with this newfangled CGI thing, when maybe it wasn't ready

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm really happy that general consensus on xXx:SotU has turned around and people finally are recognizing that it's the good kind of stupid.

It's a fun time at the movies and I've been saying that since it came out.

Torque too

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Martman posted:

Dark City's a great example of my idea of 90s vibes because it ends on the corny CGI psychic battles that don't really hold up at all. Stuff like The Frighteners, Virtuosity and The Thirteenth Floor; for me the most 90s thing is a premature belief that we were in the golden age of special effects and could capture wild sci fi concepts with this newfangled CGI thing, when maybe it wasn't ready

I actually like the final psychic battle in Dark City. It's ridiculous and the effects are iffy but it's true to two guys trying to kill each other with their minds.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

The Peccadillo posted:

I think claiming yourself a cancer survivor from having a schwannoma is like saying you survived the plague because you saw a rat in a dream once

Technical true but it's weird

E: whoop meant to put this all in the genchat thread, I have cancer not allowed to be mad at me

I hope your cancer clears up, fam.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I feel like in the 2000s people thought they could throw all the computer graphics, wires, material arts and stunt choreography into a movie and make literally anyone into an action star like it didn't matter. So something like xXx makes complete sense because Ice Cube.

The 90s I felt was a time when people thought they could swing for the fences, pitch insane nonsense, and someone would make it so we got stuff like Armageddon and Demolition Man.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

distortion park posted:

There's a whole IT subforum they could probably flick your bean

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Pro tip:
watch Hard Target and then Surviving the Game

Don't talk to me about the moral arc of the universe when we can't make movies as real and righteous about homeless people in 2024.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh yeah, Hard Target is loving goated

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Any John Woo until he just forgot how to make movies good aka mi2

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Looking at movies I think of as being very 90's vibes, 3 of them were directed by David Fincher: Seven, The Game and Fight Club. I haven't seen The Game in 20 years, does it hold up?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Rewarched the Replacement Killers last night. That's a 90s movie and good lord the soundtrack is not great

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
For me the quintessential 90s action movies are the wave of neonoir that came out after True Romance. A lot of the Stallone/Swarzenegger/Segal movies just feel like 80 is movies released in the 90s.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Quintessential '80s movie why that's
Tango and Cash

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I caught Tank Girl on pluto tv last night and that right there is a 90s movie, with a soundtrack featuring lots of Bjork and Courtney Love. Great creature costumes too for the Rippers. They had hideous kangaroo men a couple years before Warriors of Virtue.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Bjork and Portishead, used to listen to that soundtrack a lot.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

For 90s action I recently rewatched True Lies (on Hulu) and it held up really well. Bill Paxton is so loving funny in it, RIP to a got dang legend

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

doctorthefonz posted:

For 90s action I recently rewatched True Lies (on Hulu) and it held up really well. Bill Paxton is so loving funny in it, RIP to a got dang legend

Yeah I rewatched it a month or so ago and it is still a banger start to finish. Tom Arnold checking himself for bullet holes after standing behind a pole always makes me laugh, also "Why do they call him the Sand Spider?" "Uhh....because it sounds scary?"

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

On the other hand, I was on an Arnold movie kick and never saw True Lies until a couple months ago. I liked the beginning, but once it became a creepy paranoid husband story in the middle I noped out hard. Just felt super gross.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

True Lies is absolutely super gross but that's sort of part of the fun imo. Just a pure gaze into James Cameron's demented id.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Spawn is pretty quintessential 90’s to me. It’s got action, violence, love, flashbacks, John Leguizamo, fart jokes, and extremely questionable cgi.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I can't believe I forgot True Lies, that fits exactly with T2 and Die Hard with a Vengeance.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Tia Carrere was such a bombshell, had such a big crush on her

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

yoohoo posted:

Spawn is pretty quintessential 90’s to me. It’s got action, violence, love, flashbacks, John Leguizamo, fart jokes, and extremely questionable cgi.

Plus it was obviously meant to be an origin story to a movie franchise that never happened

Oh, and you can’t forget the gimmick soundtrack where every song is a forced collab between a rock/metal band and an electronic group

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

True Lies is absolutely super gross but that's sort of part of the fun imo. Just a pure gaze into James Cameron's demented id.

yeah, Arnold's character is supposed to be completely insane for doing what he does. It's hilarious.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
True Lies has too many goofy antics for me when it comes to ranking Arnie films (the whole weird spy comedy stalking subplot, and while I love Bill Paxton they really shouldve cut that whole whole storyline) but I liked it ok mostly because it's Full McBain

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

true lies was one of my absolute favorite movies when I was 12

I recently tried to rewatch it and my new opinion is that james cameron should not do comedy

also I have to admit that seeing him say they cancelled true lies 2 after 9/11 because "terrorism just isn't funny anymore" left a bad taste in my mouth

you made true lies because you thought terrorism was funny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Speaking of Paxton if yall haven't seen the film he directed and starred in called Frailty, I'd check it out. Solid horror. I remember liking it as a kid and having rewatched it not too long ago it holds up. It's on Tubi (because of course it is).