Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They would have to be, wouldn't they? Those events are both at the tail end of the first book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
It’s Netflix so there is like a 99% chance that they are not going to finish the series but I am interested in how they plan to adapt the second and third books. The first one is pretty straight forward but the second and third books introduce huge new ideas and scenarios every 20 pages that could support entire seasons of a tv show. I feel like the third book is mostly unfilmable.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Glottis posted:

I watched 4 episodes of 3 Body Problem for insomnia reasons and as a huge fan of the books and someone that is hugely aware of how much the GoT people screwed up those ones... it's very good so far.

Episode 4 contains (major spoilers) the nanowire boat chopping scene, and it's very effectively as horrifying and violent as it should be. Same episode gets the big reveal of the sophons and basically all hell breaking loose.. I'm very excited to finish it up when I get a chance. They are definitely mixing or at least priming elements of future books already, which isn't a bad thing.

are the female characters treated as actual humans or as sexy plot devices?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

I hope the show pauses to devote several minutes to reading out binary, to stay true to the book

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Famethrowa posted:

hey now, they're not just sexy, they also gently caress everything up and are often evil

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

hey now, they're not just sexy, they also gently caress everything up and are often evil

To be fair nearly character in the books makes the worst most self defeating decision at every possible chance

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
The female characters are a little better than in the books (i.e. not all insanely easy to hate), but it's still not a thing you should go into expecting good characters. It's all about that insane sci fi escapism.

I'm sure it feels like an obnoxious mystery box to some people that are new to the story but it does all fit together.

edit: took me way too long to realize Jonathan Pryce is trying to do an American accent, might be one of the worst attempts I've heard. Not that it really matters it's not like you ever see him and don't think "hey it's Jonathan Pryce". He's not a bad actor but his casting is about as bad as Benedict Wong's casting is great.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 22, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The halo show is terrible but the funniest thing is renaming the ships from Pelicans to CONDORS

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Why

I haven’t watched but everything I hear about it sounds terrible

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

The Peccadillo posted:

The halo show is terrible but the funniest thing is renaming the ships from Pelicans to CONDORS

I had to tap out from watching Halo even as a Halo nerd but a Condor is a real ship from the games, basically a Pelican that has a faster than light drive.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Because a condor is a mighty bird and a pelican is a pelican

E: haha oh. I think I only played like three of them

Was Master Chief psychically connected to Halos in any of the stuff?

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 22, 2024

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

The Peccadillo posted:

Because a condor is a mighty bird and a pelican is a pelican

E: haha oh. I think I only played like three of them

Yeah, they were introduced in Halo Infinite - the last game.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I feel bad for this guy because it must be such a let-down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEWEdIcx1DI

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Halo: combat evolved is so high concept. Super soldier gets marooned on a weird thing, figures out its a weapon, kills a bunch of catholic aliens who want to use it and some zombies and blows it up. They extremely overwrote it. He doesn't get to the halo until the finale of season 2

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

The Peccadillo posted:

Was Master Chief psychically connected to Halos in any of the stuff?

In the games, nearly every human can interact with and activate the Precursor artifacts. Humans are the "Reclaimers", they were embedded with a genetic code that would make the Halo and precursor tech react to them - and it's a big reason why the Covenant religious leaders want to kill them all instead of integrating them into the Covenant like they do with most other aliens they encounter. Chief isn't special in that regard, humans as a species were chosen to inherit the "Mantle of Responsibility".

I really do not get why the show has deviated from this idea so much.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

AngryBooch posted:

In the games, nearly every human can interact with and activate the Precursor artifacts. Humans are the "Reclaimers", they were embedded with a genetic code that would make the Halo and precursor tech react to them - and it's a big reason why the Covenant religious leaders want to kill them all instead of integrating them into the Covenant like they do with most other aliens they encounter. Chief isn't special in that regard, humans as a species were chosen to inherit the "Mantle of Responsibility".

I really do not get why the show has deviated from this idea so much.

It’s even more needlessly complicated than that;

Humanity was once actually one of the most advanced races in the galaxy hundreds of thousands of years ago, but their aggressive expansion threatened the other galactic races, primarily the Forerunner. As a way of dealing with this threat, one faction of the Forerunner nearly destroyed all of humanity, stripped them of all their tech, de-evolved their remnants and exiled them to what is now Earth. Another faction of Forerunner safeguarded these proto-humans and saved them from the original activation of the Halo arrays because they believed humanity had the potential to be the true inheritors of the Forerunner Mantle of Responsibility - basically an ethos that they knew what was best for the good of the galaxy at large.

The Covenant later start their war with Humanity in part because the Covenant leaders have built this rabid religion telling their followers that they’re the Forerunner heirs even though they’re fully aware of humanity’s real connection to the Forerunner.

A lot of this is from a trilogy of books by Greg Bear. IMO Halo actually has a lot of good concepts but nearly every piece of Halo media has been absolute dogshit at exploring them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The Peccadillo posted:

Halo: combat evolved is so high concept. Super soldier gets marooned on a weird thing, figures out its a weapon, kills a bunch of catholic aliens who want to use it and some zombies and blows it up. They extremely overwrote it. He doesn't get to the halo until the finale of season 2

I'm not super familiar with the lore -- enjoy the show though -- but given when the games came out I figured that they were an Arab allegory.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Peccadillo posted:

Dawn what i didn’t catch this…that’s dumb

Anyway the final episode was better than the first season but it’s still jank. Fun to see things in live action though. They could make it good for season 3 because they shifted the whole show to finally follow the games kind of

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm not super familiar with the lore -- enjoy the show though -- but given when the games came out I figured that they were an Arab allegory.

In the games? No I'm pretty sure they are just supposed to be space aliens I don't think there is much to think about with it.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Maybe. They were explicitly religious and america was tooling' up to kill islam

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not everything is designed to be a metaphor

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s worth noting Halo started production in 97-98 and came out only two months after 9/11

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

When was the first gulf war again?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Alright dude you win, it’s definitely whatever you think it is

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

halo is about how god and jesus are bad imo and the only real god you need is a battle rifle

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

When was the first gulf war again?

Extreme reaching here. It’s a game about aliens.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My recollection is that Halo is about shooting up a lot of aliens and driving around in a fun jeep.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

withak posted:

My recollection is that Halo is about shooting up a lot of aliens and driving around in a fun jeep.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I'd never seen 24 when it was on air, me and the wife are going through it now. I think it might have some of the stupidest loving writing I've ever seen in a show. Also Jack Bauer is a monster. But drat it's still pretty fun.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

withak posted:

And jumping. If you’re not jumping and landing sick hits on grunts what are you even doing

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I rewatched the entire series recently, and it really is equal parts silly and fun. Once you notice how often people say "perimeter" you'll start anticipating it, and once you notice how often they say "do your job" or "let me do my job" you'll feel like you've lost your drat mind.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Peccadillo posted:

When they came out with this all I could think of is what it would look like if a MARATHON series came out in the 90s. No question it would have been better, much better material to crib from both from the game and other contemporary sci-fi tv shows.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
24 was a magical experience just because of the chats we had about every episode live. You kids these days and your streaming don't know what it was like to be psyched for the Jack Bauer Power Hour and the dancing lizard kill markers.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
24 was good cause there were a bunch of people who would read spoilers and make gimmick character accounts and would live post stuff and it was also 2004.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

having never watched 24, this Jon Bois video about it is still pretty amazing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P52G4Kyq5M

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A lot of this is from a trilogy of books by Greg Bear. IMO Halo actually has a lot of good concepts but nearly every piece of Halo media has been absolute dogshit at exploring them.

Greg Bear is so good

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

When they came out with this all I could think of is what it would look like if a MARATHON series came out in the 90s. No question it would have been better, much better material to crib from both from the game and other contemporary sci-fi tv shows.

At least we'll find out what it would look like if Marathon came out in the 2020s. You know if the company doesn't fold first.

It's an arena pvp GAS game

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Marathon In Name Only

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
drat, I miss Marathon. Isn't that free now? I'm going to play Marathon tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

veni veni veni posted:

Not everything is designed to be a metaphor

Yes it is bitch!!!