Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man Ozark is a good show but it needs to be like half as many episodes. So much filler.

That ending though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

smackfu posted:

There was talk that Station Eleven was “uplifting” because it showed art surviving in a post-pandemic future but it was still overall pretty grim. Even after everyone gets killed off.

Well, yeah, 99.99% of humanity died, it's never not going to be grim

The point of the show is finding some small specks of hope in the wreckage, whether it's art or simply caring for and looking after each other

I found that really uplifting

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Inspector Hound posted:

I was a call center agent when this happened, and it did, uh, not get a positive response from customers at large when it was implemented, fwiw

I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Hopefully 2022 is the year Netflix finally goes down, it's really not doing great right now.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's funny because Netflix had a really good recommendation system and even had a big competition to improve it but they had to throw all that out the window because in its current form it doesn't have enough content so 1) they pretty much have to show all new content to everyone, and 2) they don't want customers to be able to see that the system is predicting that the entire library will be 2-3 out of five stars for them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chaotic Flame posted:

I'm going to have to give Station 11 another chance it seems. I watched the first episode randomly with my family over the holidays and we were all confused by a lot of the choices the characters were making with seemingly no context for why they were making those decisions, so I bounced off.

What specifically? Only thing I can think of is the main guys choice to run on stage, which is specifically treated as an odd thing to do and it’s implied there’s more to it than we know.

I’ve only watched 2 episodes but I can’t really think of anything else in episode 1.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Hopefully 2022 is the year Netflix finally goes down, it's really not doing great right now.

On the other hand, people were begging for a "play random whatever" feature, and when it was implemented it turned out just as horrible as I thought it would. Kids show, fireplace, kids show, insanely violent horror movie, sitcom, why would people want this

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

veni veni veni posted:

What specifically? Only thing I can think of is the main guys choice to run on stage, which is specifically treated as an odd thing to do and it’s implied there’s more to it than we know.

I’ve only watched 2 episodes but I can’t really think of anything else in episode 1.

It was a while ago and I just thought it was a random throwaway show since I hadn't heard anything about it when we watched, so I don't really remember. I just remember asking "why" a lot while watching. I'm going to give it another watch and see if I feel differently. It was pretty late when we watched so maybe we were all tired.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Galavant is really loving good. Y'all should watch it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mystes posted:

It's funny because Netflix had a really good recommendation system and even had a big competition to improve it but they had to throw all that out the window because in its current form it doesn't have enough content so 1) they pretty much have to show all new content to everyone, and 2) they don't want customers to be able to see that the system is predicting that the entire library will be 2-3 out of five stars for them.

Netflix has a fuckload of content what are you on about? And the 2-3 star issue wasn't an issue when the star rating system was around.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
They have a lot of content but not a lot of good content.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

They have a lot of content but not a lot of good content.

That's not true either what the hell is wrong with you people? There is a shitload of good content on Netflix.

There's a lot of stuff across tons of genres so there's always going to be a lot of noise to a person's taste, but there is still quite a lot of high quality content.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also as an aside I recommend people check out the Land of the Giants podcast series. Each season covers the rise and future of a tech giant. The Netflix and Apple seasons are great. The Google and Amazon ones are good too.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Everyone, including me, wants what we very much can't have: the Netflix of the early 2010's. It was awesome!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Everyone, including me, wants what we very much can't have: the Netflix of the early 2010's. It was awesome!

I want the timeline where Qwikster still exists

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you intentionally make broadly appealing content like Red Notice, of course you are going to promote it to every user of your service.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

FishBowlRobot posted:

Hell yeah. It gets me amped every time. Then the last few seconds with just the drums and the Baywatch transparent text moving further out. gently caress it, might as well post it.

https://youtu.be/BrHfGMigwnw

Don't forget the end credits theme!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La48noL_LZE

mystes
May 31, 2006

BonoMan posted:

That's not true either what the hell is wrong with you people? There is a shitload of good content on Netflix.

There's a lot of stuff across tons of genres so there's always going to be a lot of noise to a person's taste, but there is still quite a lot of high quality content.
Perhaps I phrased that poorly. They have been accumulating original content so they now have a decent amount when you include their back catalog. However people who have been subscribed continuously for a long time are going to have already seen most of that that they are interested, and at the rate they create content, in terms of new content they pretty much do have to "show all new content to everyone" to have additional, new content to promote as I said; it's very different from when it was a DVD rental service and they had essentially every movie ever made, so they could just find out what people were interested in and recommend tons of additional movies based on individual preferences.

They also have plenty of content that people are going hopefully to feel is worth watching in various genres, but they explicitly announced that the reason they switched away from star ratings because they felt that there would be content that people would want to watch that they wouldn't feel was 5 stars (in other words most of their content is going to be stuff that people would rate 3 stars but would still be willing to watch) so I don't think that's really something that can be disputed.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 23, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
My thing with Netflix and their original content, in the first few years that they were creating original content, they were trying to be taken seriously, and were putting a lot of effort into making sure that it was both original, and quality. They had a few misses, but maybe around 2015, if Netflix was coming out with a new show, you'd make a point to sit down and watch it.

Now they're just churning out so much utter poo poo, and only maybe 1 out of maybe 20 new shows is actually worth checking out.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Netflix still produces the best original content out there. If anything the quality average has gotten higher over the years not lower. I still remember when "Netflix Original Film" and "Netflix Animated Series" was synonymous for being utter poo poo. Now they release stuff like "Don't Look Up" and while their animated catalog more than speaks for itself.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mystes posted:

Perhaps I phrased that poorly. They have been accumulating original content so they now have a decent amount when you include their back catalog. However people who have been subscribed continuously for a long time are going to have already seen most of that that they are interested, and at the rate they create content, in terms of new content they pretty much do have to "show all new content to everyone" to have additional, new content to promote as I said; it's very different from when it was a DVD rental service and they had essentially every movie ever made, so they could just find out what people were interested in and recommend tons of additional movies based on individual preferences.

They also have plenty of content that people are going hopefully to feel is worth watching in various genres, but they explicitly announced that the reason they switched away from star ratings because they felt that there would be content that people would want to watch that they wouldn't feel was 5 stars (in other words most of their content is going to be stuff that people would rate 3 stars but would still be willing to watch) so I don't think that's really something that can be disputed.

Yeah they have a back catalog of great stuff, but I would say they have the slowest trickle of releases I even want to watch and even less that I am remotely excited about in regards to any of the big services. I find HBO and Hulu to be the main ones I go to, with Netflix and prime being the back up “all right maybe I can find some trash to watch” backup option.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mystes posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-netflix-replaced-its-5-star-rating-system-2017-4

That's a good explanation of why they changed it (and also next of rating weaponization). I don't think they explicitly said what you said they did. But I'm not a closed book on it. Open to other sources.

I mean I'm going to make an effort post about it later... But I have been subscribed since they start streaming and haven't even come close to seeing everything. Not by a country mile.

Maybe someone that binges all day everyday? I don't know. But there is tons still left for me to see.

I also don't agree that they're churning our utter poo poo. And the 1 out of 20 shows is worth watching is pretty laughable. I mean maybe if you have super niche tastes but there's a lot of high quality stuff out there.

I love HBO and they have always been the gold standard for high quality, but I feel like they totally have the slowest trickle of content out of the major streamers. It feels like Apple TV level of output.

I think Patriot was the last thing I watched on Prime lol.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Part of it is me changing and what I'm willing to experiment on, but I remember that disc Netflix basically could act like the clerk at the cool video store. Like Robocop and Total Recall? Check out the Fourth Man. Did you like The Vanishing? Check out the Swedish original. I don't think those kinds of movies are as likely to get to a Netflix where they have to pay ongoing license fees, and they certainly aren't the movies that get active promotion.

Disc Netflix would always have to manage available supply of blockbusters, so to keep you subscribed they had to get creative on finding more left of center things that you would still enjoy. Now, supply of any individual hit is infinite, and they have enough money to keep cranking out new stuff to meet any and every niche. Netflix has lots of good targeted tuff, but it's harder to be truly surprised by a recent recommendation anymore.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'd been rating things for a decade when they got rid of the star system and I was starting to get spooky good recommendations. Now it's just waving trash in front of my face and insisting I take it like I'm a fat tourist who's just gotten off a cruise ship in a Caribbean port.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Better Watch Out on Prime is without a doubt the worst movie I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of movies. And no it ain't fun bad or so bad it has to be seen to be believed, just read the plot on wikipedia if you really wanna. it's Funny Games by way of a Redditor manchild. Incredibly cringy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Euphoria: So many penises

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

Euphoria: So many penises

Given HBO's propensity for gratuitous vagina, it's a nice change for once

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I liked both The Lost Daughter and The Power of the Dog on Netflix. Great performances by Olivia Colman and Jess Plemons, respectively.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Better Watch Out on Prime is without a doubt the worst movie I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of movies. And no it ain't fun bad or so bad it has to be seen to be believed, just read the plot on wikipedia if you really wanna. it's Funny Games by way of a Redditor manchild. Incredibly cringy.
Better Watch Out is great

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Ozark is just crack serialized TV in it's most pure and empty calories form.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

BonoMan posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-netflix-replaced-its-5-star-rating-system-2017-4

That's a good explanation of why they changed it (and also next of rating weaponization). I don't think they explicitly said what you said they did. But I'm not a closed book on it. Open to other sources.

I mean I'm going to make an effort post about it later... But I have been subscribed since they start streaming and haven't even come close to seeing everything. Not by a country mile.

Maybe someone that binges all day everyday? I don't know. But there is tons still left for me to see.

I also don't agree that they're churning our utter poo poo. And the 1 out of 20 shows is worth watching is pretty laughable. I mean maybe if you have super niche tastes but there's a lot of high quality stuff out there.

I love HBO and they have always been the gold standard for high quality, but I feel like they totally have the slowest trickle of content out of the major streamers. It feels like Apple TV level of output.

I think Patriot was the last thing I watched on Prime lol.

HBO Max is great, but the trickle of stuff is slow and they very unfortunately lost the Warner Bros. film day one releases. They don't really have too many killer original IPs that are running compared to Disney or Netflix. To me HBO Max is basically HBO content and "almost everything else that is not owned by Disney". I will say saying that they are like AppleTV+ is far too harsh. They have enough content to be in the running as someone's "main service" but it is the most barren of the major three.

Hulu might as well be lumped with the Disney Bundle since the Disney Bundle is more or less the same price as Netflix these days and just a few dollars more than HBO Max. I find that Hulu essentially lives and dies by FX content. Hulu originals can be great but they aren't as influential on average as what's on Netflix or on Disney+. Luckily chances are if you have Hulu, you also have Disney+ too these days.

Can't speak for Amazon since I haven't had Prime in years. It used to be dire, but it has seriously stepped up it's game since. I unsubscribed half a decade ago and the service has gotten far better content since. I did watch "Invincible" which was incredible.

Netflix is like 'the PlayStation of streaming services". Not only are they by far the biggest, but they operate under the philosophy of "having something for everyone" rather than "making something for everyone". They have quality programming in almost any genre for almost any demographic. To the point that they will greenlight the most nichey thing imaginable. Sure they may be too cancel happy, but who else would have greenlit a practical effects big budget "The Dark Crystal" series? Compare this to Disney who have the blockbuster Marvel and Star Wars universes to carry water as their major series. And while HBO Max does original programming too, it rarely feels as "avant-garde" as Netflix. It feels like stuff you'd see on network TV.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Not sure how Netflix is in the US, but here in Norway their pre-2000 library is way too small and the pre-1980 library is practically nonexistent

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

South Korea is making Netflix's bangers and Netflix killed (almost) daredevil, Luke cage and MST3k
Without south Korea Netflix is pretty weak to me

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Even if HBO Max never released any new content and was just a way to rewatch the Sopranos and movies older than 2005 it would still be better than Netflix lol

Speaking of which Euphoria and Righteous Gemstones were both bangers again this week :holy:

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 24, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
There's something for everyone on nearly all of these. Not sure why people feel the need to get so console warrior about it.

The only thing I wish is that Netflix had a smaller plan. Like... Maybe just a Netflix Originals plan that was 7.99 or whatever.

I know it's because of the low amount of content at the moment but Apple+ pricing is fantastic.

Also apropos of nothing. HBO Max has the single worst backend and UI. It always kicks me out for some reason. I constantly have to resign in. And the playback UI is atrocious.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

punk rebel ecks posted:

I will say saying that they are like AppleTV+ is far too harsh.

I was saying that only in reference to what I felt their new show trickle was like. Not overall content!

edit: So I just popped on to Netflix real quick to look at the content. Specificially at a couple of carousel's with just Netflix content.

Here's what I've seen some or all of - not listing anything else. This is stuff I consider very watchable and/or fun content.

Don't Look Up
After Life
The Queen's Gambit
Dead to Me
The End of the loving World (so good)
Derry Girls
Maid
Tick, Tick... Boom!
The Movies that Made Us
The Haunting of Hill House
Back to the Outback
Squid Game
Arcane
School of Chocolate
High Score
Sweet Tooth
The Crown
The Toys That Made Us
A Series of Unfortunate Events
Baking Impossible
The Great British Bake Off
Grace and Frankie
Our Planet
Peaky Blinders
Dark
Bloodline
Midnight Mass
Arrested Development
Mindhunter
Formula 1: Drive to Survive
A Boy Called Christmas
Stranger Things
The Witcher
Hellbound
Ozark
Queer Eye

All of that is on just a couple of carousels. I didn't even dig into the catalog. And again - just the one's I've seen some or all of. Not even listing the stuff that I've heard is good but haven't gotten around to yet.

There is a *shitload* of good content on Netflix and I'd argue that if you can't find it (other than having some one off "I only watch anime" niche or something) you just aren't looking.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 24, 2022

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I guess what is "looking" in 2022. Unless you're getting fed stuff in the carousel, what is actually a meaningful way to find shows of interest? In the linear days, you had TV Guide to get synopses and whatnot, or you could just bounce around the channels and see what caught your eye on Wednesday at 8. Hell, even when cable made that onerous, you could just sit on the GUIDE channel and get a rundown of what was around.

Netflix has eliminated most of its own public facing categorization and curation, certainly in its tv-based interactions, and most of their stuff relies on licensed or created originals so it's not even as if you can say "I missed a season of that show/missed this big movie." You mostly only know about something if Netflix tells you it's there. If you're someone who's not terminally online, how do you even know what's available, much less what's good beyond the big tentpoles?

EDIT: This is true for all of them, but I feel Hulu and HBO have done a better job of straight genre or subject matter searching.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
People really need to specify what the client is running on when they complain about it. On a tvOS Apple TV, the Apple TV app is arguably worse than HBO Max. Max is a bit slower but that’s about it. The Apple TV app being both a client for their service and a content hub (that other apps have to opt-in to) is not a great experience.

I remember when HBO Now first launched and that was virtually unusable on the old hockey puck Apple TV 3, both due to poo poo streaming quality and a garbage client (for example, you couldn’t add a TV show to your list, just individual episodes).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Modern Leper posted:

I guess what is "looking" in 2022. Unless you're getting fed stuff in the carousel, what is actually a meaningful way to find shows of interest? In the linear days, you had TV Guide to get synopses and whatnot, or you could just bounce around the channels and see what caught your eye on Wednesday at 8. Hell, even when cable made that onerous, you could just sit on the GUIDE channel and get a rundown of what was around.

Netflix has eliminated most of its own public facing categorization and curation, certainly in its tv-based interactions, and most of their stuff relies on licensed or created originals so it's not even as if you can say "I missed a season of that show/missed this big movie." You mostly only know about something if Netflix tells you it's there. If you're someone who's not terminally online, how do you even know what's available, much less what's good beyond the big tentpoles?

EDIT: This is true for all of them, but I feel Hulu and HBO have done a better job of straight genre or subject matter searching.

The best "looking" is word of mouth of course - but that doesn't apply to everyone of course.

I'm not sure I agree with eliminating public facing categorization and curation? My feed is nothing but curated genre specific carousels for the most part.

But Netflix does have a newer "let's just watch something" feature that, for lack of a better analog, is kind of like the guide in the sense that it enables you to just start poking around.

Mostly though it was geared towards the people here that are just like "Netflix doesn't have anything lol" or "A Korea show was big on Netflix so apparently the entire service is upheld by Korean TV" - those kind of folks are totally able to dig deeper or hop on JustWatch or Decider or whatever.

There's lots of resources that may require being online - just not terminally so.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

david_a posted:

People really need to specify what the client is running on when they complain about it. On a tvOS Apple TV, the Apple TV app is arguably worse than HBO Max. Max is a bit slower but that’s about it. The Apple TV app being both a client for their service and a content hub (that other apps have to opt-in to) is not a great experience.

I remember when HBO Now first launched and that was virtually unusable on the old hockey puck Apple TV 3, both due to poo poo streaming quality and a garbage client (for example, you couldn’t add a TV show to your list, just individual episodes).

I'm on a 2019 TCL 6 Series RokuTV.

Performance wise, they're both "ok" with HBO Max definitely being slower.

But independent of sluggishness and just going on their UI/UX experience - the HBOMax app is just *bad design*. The playback experience and options available are just bad and terrible.

Netflix is still the king in terms of "what's available to me when I pause/and in realtime playback (ff, rw, etc)"

Actually Disney+ may have the worst playback UI of all of them.

EDIT: Also ironically we're doing a big budget crunch and Netflix, b/c of price, is #1 on the chopping block. But I do like it. I know it feels like I'm stanning for them, but really I want everyone to enjoy everything and find something fun to watch everywhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I hate hate that on my Roku TV i have to exit back to the loving homescreen settings to toggle subtitles on Disney+ and HBO Max, then go back in. Especially since the stuff I watch on those are most likely to have the loud as hell action scene vs library quiet talking scene volume swing.