Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Reacher's hunches were often shown to be wrong in funny or surprising ways, and he's not very charming or good at communicating. It's corny as hell but he's definitely not just "perfect at everything." I liked that he's some weird combo of Sherlock Holmes and like, Paul Bunyan or something, and if he has some superpower it's just being a tank who can shrug off every injury. He seemed pretty flawed in lots of other ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I wonder if it portrays Marilyn having sex with JFK and that's like, an automatic no-no zone or something

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Glottis posted:

I should clarify - it's impossible to know what might happen next because every moment is totally nonsense. There are no clear arcs. For instance, the concept of someone turning into a loving tree was clear but came out of nowhere. Confusing? No. Still absolute nonsense
Yeah that could never happen in real life! Hope someone got fired for that blunder.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Idg how people have made it through two seasons of this show and are still sitting there like "when are they going to explain in logical detail a sensible reason for why the characters get their chores by eating magic marbles". it's like watching Zardoz and wishing it was more like the Expanse.
Just to be clear, only the androids swallow the marbles right? They just swallow stuff because it's a convenient way to hold things

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

Batman begins is still the most Batman the animated series Batman movie

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

Uh he has a name, Zach Snyder
If anything it seems like Snyder has been surrounded by no-men for a lot of his career

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Field Mousepad posted:

I think a lot of you need to go for a walk outside
Why, is something streaming out there?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Class Warcraft posted:

Too Old to Die Young is basically a 30 hour music video about Nicolas Winding Refns unending horniness for absurd violence.

Edit: this description makes it sound better than it actually is
It's also very anti-police and is pretty cool tbh

I guess I'd just say, watch Only God Forgives and/or The Neon Demon and you will get a pretty good sense of whether his poo poo works for you, and Too Old to Die Young is a very long and weird experience that is very much in line with how his movies work. I think Miles Teller is really well cast in it, because he is extremely off-putting and unlikeable and it actually takes advantage of that

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

Season 5 just got uploaded to Netflix this week
Oh hell yeah! I completely lost track of when that was finally gonna happen

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

"Big" doesn't even begin to describe it. Because it's actually very small.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm amazed that Big Mouth has managed to inspire a spin-off series (Human Resources), and it seems... I dunno, it seems fine, if you loved Big Mouth I think it'll be worth watching. Mostly I wanted to open up a can of worms because it had a hilarious but potentially problematic background joke. One of the characters, Pete the Logic Rock, has an autographed photo of a big muscly brown bald man that says "Pete, you're MY Rock", signed obviously "Dwayne" although it's scribbled. Is The Rock being gay such an open secret these days that it's just part of the conversation of shows and stuff? I've always heard rumors and as a "blink and you'll miss it" gag I found that hilarious, but then I was like "hmm..."

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think I've just been around some friends who have been 100% convinced that he's gay for a long time so maybe I am too accustomed to jokes like that. Saying someone is "your rock" would be pretty intense platonically though lol

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Wow I can't believe Batman was [spoiler]Bruce Wayne[spoiler] the whole time!
Not sure the movie ever explicitly confirmed this, may have to go back and rewatch

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

And what beast is more fantastic... than a penguin?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Google says South Korea's drinking age and even age of consent are 20.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

They can host Arrested Development season 12 or whatever

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

For some reason there's a new Beavis and Butthead movie (on Paramount Plus)

I think I might be stupid but I liked it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Barry's kind of like American Psycho imo, it's about a super hosed up character but then the horror comes from the culture around him that completely enables and rewards insanity

Also it's very funny

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I thought The Bear was goofy and cliched and full of really obvious telegraphing of all its character development... also it was great. It built up the kind of energy and tension that let me enjoy all the silliness, I didn't only like the show despite all of that stuff.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This movie sucks and the only good part is when at one point Ana de Armas bundles up in a bunch of layers with a little beanie on top like she's ready to go for a walk in the snow at twilight, except she also has like 4 RPGs and she just starts sprinting around like Sonic the Hedgehog while blowing poo poo up.
She completely stole the show in one scene of the last Bond movie, is that just gonna be her thing now?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Halfway through the first season I find myself just very annoyed by the main villain in Evil (and how comfortable they are having the plot contort itself to allow him to do whatever he wants), but the actual episode mysteries are really fun so far.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

How can you be more mad at Leland than her mom lol
I just got to where that starts to happen and tbh if it just gets increasingly more absurd then I'm down to laugh at it.

I think it was bugging me when I was assuming the show wanted us to be seriously questioning whether he's truly magical or Just the World's Biggest rear end in a top hat, but I'm starting to get the impression that doesn't matter much and we're just along for the ride.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Glottis posted:

It passed the fun test for my Boomer dad who picks apart everything, so it's got something.
I felt iffy before, but thank you, now I will definitely never watch this

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Glottis posted:

how jaded do you have to be for "someone liked this" to read as evidence that you won't? I mean, from that, I'm sure you won't, but what an odd existence.
I've known people who view themselves as perfectionist nitpickers of movies but really just arbitrarily complain about anything that was actually weird, or interesting, or didn't fit their expectations. So when they find something that doesn't bother them it can be a good sign that I'm gonna find that movie intensely boring.

But mostly I'm being an rear end in a top hat.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

Stumbled into The White Lotus and was pleasantly surprised. Saw it got a bunch of Emmy nominations and had no idea it existed for how acclaimed it was. The Resort has been solid too.
Enlightened by the same creator as The White Lotus (Mike White) is a pretty solid underrated gem that I think is worth a look if you haven't heard of that either. Laura Dern stars in it and also co-created it, and it gives some similar absurd looks at wealthy white people specifically in terms of American corporations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

holy poo poo... I cannot believe how fun RRR was the entire way through. I was expecting more runtime devoted to action just for the sake of schlocky explosions or whatever, but it felt paced perfectly to me. I'm absolutely interested in reading about critiques of its politics, how it should be interpreted in the modern political climate, etc., but I still think it's worth watching the movie and then thinking about this stuff for yourself. Just absolutely wildly enjoyable from start to finish.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gonz posted:

Oh poo poo, Netflix’s Sandman show just dropped, too. Gonna be a busy weekend. I had forgotten about that.
Jesus Christ, I just watched RRR and Prey in one day and I gotta start this now.

Prey was indeed very enjoyable. I think these movies work the best when they have basically zero "meta" commentary to them. Each one is a Predator movie, and there doesn't really need to be a cohesive Predator universe. They just need to work as a self-contained movie with a badass idea for an alien species. This one would particularly work as a great intro to the franchise, so I'm loving the idea of someone watching Prey and getting inspired to watch 1 and 2.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This reminds me, The Bear (1988) was one of my favorite movies as a kid and now I wanna go back and give it a rewatch. Looking at random clips it seems like they may have pulled off some pretty wild stuff with the trained bears and also it probably just, wasn't as safe as they imagined, but drat those bears are impressive.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

It is. But the movie was also about 1 hour too long, with lots of unnecessary backstory.
nope

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I was pretty disappointed by Vampires vs. the Bronx but I think it fits that theme well and idk maybe some people were way more into it

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

that's because their name is stupid

e: sorry I don't mean to insult you veni, I know you like names that are 3 of a thing

Martman fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 16, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I haven't watched it, but I got the impression that the characters not being actually connected to any legitimate Italian heritage was a big joke of the show and that it presents their lifestyles as a kind of pathetic imitation that has no place in the modern world.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Nuts and Gum posted:

Haven’t watched the new one, but I was feeling spoopy on Sunday and watched the original Hellraiser on HBOmax. Aside from some neat practical effects it’s a horrible movie, no idea why it got all the sequels. I also hated the lead actors, especially the dad.
actually it's very good and ur bad at movies

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

What form, exactly? There's no sex, there's virtually no thematic overlap with the first two (the only good) movies, the worldbuilding is flat, you have no characters you can actually like, the writing is tortured (not in a fun hellraiser way), and the entire point of the lament configuration (you actively make the choice to call the cenobites and face the consequences) is replaced by just making it a pokey box of doom that sends innocent bystanders to their doom with a quick jab.

But other than that, it's pretty average.
lol this makes me want to watch it and see if it's about anti-vaxers or something

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lolling at the idea that you just need to "get past the particulars" to identify what art actually is. Only by ignoring it, or not even watching it, can you truly analyze it!!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

All art made under capitalism is actually just brand management so it sux

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Black Lighter posted:

I'm not saying either of those things, tho. I'm saying that a media landscape dominated almost exclusively by IP-driven fantasy franchises is bad, and diminishes good work done within them.
I think you are the one diminishing good work done within them.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Black Lighter posted:

Enjoy your baby food, I guess?
You can post like this but you have to commit to the fact that you are trying to dunk on everyone. When you keep going back and being like "gosh why is everyone so mad about my harmless points" it makes you look like a weasely little weirdo

Like, you have "no particular issue" with Andor itself, no criticisms about its quality etc. (because you haven't watched it and never will), but also will call it baby food to get in a burn on someone. That is very dishonest and lovely posting

Martman fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 9, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Imagine taking 1000 words to write "I do not feel like watching Andor."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Black Lighter posted:

Honestly, gently caress this and gently caress y'all. I've been engaging in good faith while ppl freaked out that a girl said something bad about Star Wars on the internet, but once I say something back, I'm being disingenuous? FOH with that. Sorry I criticized everybody's favorite piece of children's media, but please grow up and order something off the adult menu.
It's really impressive to be like "oh btw I'm a girl so don't call me dude :smug:" and 10 seconds later pivot to arguing that you being a girl is the real reason we were mad at you. No one gives a gently caress lol