Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
I think I basically agree with SMG that pretty much all the time people say: "They never explained X!" they usually mean "The explanation for X was unsatisfying to me".

Like, whether you liked or hated Lost I really don't think there was a single thing that was left unexplained. People just didn't like the explanations, and in some cases disliked them so much it basically amounted to not being an explanation at all in their minds.

The best example I can think of is people always used to say Lost never explained what the whispers in the jungle were. But they definitely did. A character pretty much turned to camera and said "the whispers in the jungle are ghosts". But people didn't like that because they wanted something sciencey I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
No, the criticism is "that's dumb, I don't like it. It's not very satisfying. I thought this was a sci-fi show but it looks like the religious themes are kind of overtaking it" or something. But "that's not been explained" is not particularly accurate.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006

Papercut posted:

The complaints about Lost were that everyone from the start was like this is obviously purgatory they're all dead and then the creators of the show repeatedly said no that's not the case and then that was the case.

Yeah, you hear this a lot as well but it's not true. Purgatory was introduced in the last season, but the island itself wasn't purgatory.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
The last season was garbage in so many ways, but it definitely didn't reveal they had all been dead all along.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
In the UK Starz is for some reason included on Disney plus

Edit- no it's not. That's "Star". Whatever that is.

OrthoTrot fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 6, 2023

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006

Martman posted:

Well apparently they call it goat pie

Spoiler tags please

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
I thought the monologues in Midnight Mass were fantastic. Proper "I know directors who use subtext and they're all cowards" vibe I'm really down for.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
The big problem I have with Usher is Zach Gilford and Bruce Greenwood play the same character with completely different energy and feeling. They don't seem even remotely similar in the way they talk and act. I wonder how much of that has to do with the recast and reshoots when Langella was fired. Presumably Greenwood didn't have much time to prep.

It's not a bad performance it just doesn't seem to match the other half we're presented with.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Also, I kind of wish I didn't watch the trailer. I knew how episode 2 was ending from it but my wife didn't and her reaction was everything the scene was aiming for.

That scene is just so loving over the top. Completely un-Flanagan and just sets this really cartoony element to the whole thing. I wonder if that's a deliberate choice to mimic the ostentatiousness of Poe.

Hamill is also excellent. A Wilford Brimley style surly delight.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I think it was the right choice to go full cartoonish with it to really emphasize "this is not midnight mass, you will not be listening to (too many) five minute monologues about how people feel"

If you asked me at the start of the year which horror director would release a scene where 78 wealthy socialites get melted by acid I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have guessed correctly. Flanagan just having fun with this one.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

it's cool to see that he reuses a lot of the same actors in his stuff.

This is a bit of an understatement. It's practically a theatre troupe at this point.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

Is Crawl the one where Barry Pepper gets his arm fully bitten off but treats it like its mostly a minor inconvenience, like if you had a slight muscle cramp or something

Yes, but by that point in the film I read his reaction more as "things are so hosed right now this hardly makes any difference".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

... completely forgettable, as is Schiff as Eddie...

Hold on now, he may not have a lot to do up to the half way point but he then has one of the all time great on screen deaths.