Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I think Moon Knight's CGI is of varying quality, sometimes it looks great and sometimes it doesn't. In episode 3 the rooftop fight scene looked pretty bad, but the sky scene looked really cool, for instance.

The suit usually looks a bit rough most of the time, but I'm surprised they got it looking even occasionally decent in live action. It's one of those looks that really only works for comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

mystes posted:

I like him but I think pretty much everything else about the show is bad. I wish they could have found a better comic book to adapt to put him in or something.

There's been some behind the scenes stuff and both Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke didn't want to do anything Marvel until they were given a bunch of scenery to chew and a relatively minor hero/villain that they could put their stamp on. That's why the latest episode ended with a Hawke monologue about villainy and redemption and why Isaac switched personalities in-camera, it's just fun stuff for them to do.

Ethan Hawke famously talked poo poo about Marvel until Oscar Isaac (his neighbor IRL) approached him and was like "come on man be in my show, we can act together, it will be a fun collaboration".

It's also very telling that Isaac has not signed on for more Moon Knight. So if you don't like it, it's no big deal. Oscar and Ethan got a big payday, old Moon Knight fans like me got to see Disney blow 160 million dollars on a z-list character, and you will get to rejoice when Disney doesn't renew it and spends the money on Wandavision 2: The Rerun or something.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Glottis posted:

Moon Knight seems to think that every single sequence needs to have at least one character that is a fish out of water, and it's frustrating. If Oscar Isaac #1 knows what's happening, Oscar Isaac #2 is super confused. We barely get to see anyone competently doing anything. The villain seems to show up in and leave from locations without logic. They use the idea of switching personalities to justify sudden location changes for the main character all the time and it gets pretty unsatisfying after a while. It's really hard to get a bead on the rules of this universe and as a result it's difficult to really care about what's happening. Is he invincible? What even does the Steven suit do?

Ethan Hawke and Oscar Isaac do well with what they're given. This show just doesn't have anything special enough to distract from the bad CGI and uninteresting plot. I'm going to keep watching it but it's definitely not worth recommending at the moment.

While I feel your pain on Harrow and think Hawke is definitely misused, I don't know why the heck anyone would want another bog-standard Marvel show about competent heroes that solve everything with a kick and a quip. (and besides, Layla is plenty competent).

I suspect you would absolutely hate the comics that Moon Knight is based on, which even go so far as to suggest that Konshu doesn't exist and Marc is imagining some of his foes (and when they don't, they are just bog-standard cape pastiche with nothing to recommend them).

Edit: anyway the best show on right now is Winning Time, which I adore. Even if a bunch of it is basically made up.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 18, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

A MIRACLE posted:

I tried to watch the bubble

How far did you get?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Glottis posted:

so far it doesn't really seem to have any sort of message or underlying theme to speak of, it's just "get the bad guy".

Konshu picks damaged people as his avatar and breaks them over his knee for his implementation of 'justice' and the show is explicit about this. Harrow gets damaged people to join his cult and intends to break the world over his knee for his implementation of 'justice' and the show is explicit about this. Harrow literally spends the end of episode 3 drawing a parallel between Konshu's damage of him, his healing process, and how he's going to "heal" the world by basically implementing Konshu's Minority Report (Harrow is too mentally damaged to realize the insanity of his plan, but you - the viewer - should catch on).

It's telling that the characters who doesn't like either Spector's or Harrow's poo poo are Steven, who is the normal perspective (and who you correctly id'd as a "fish out of water") and Layla, who is left it the dark by Marc's secrecy and shame.

The show is definitely not doing a good job of showing that Marc Spector was a reprehensible, bad person before he became the Moon Knight and his current situation is one of despair and self-loathing. He was a CIA spook who became a looting, murdering mercenary and whose sole redeeming act - trying to prevent a bunch of academics from being executed by his fellow mercs - ended with him beaten to near-death and pleading to the heavens for life. Konshu is a mercurial Greek-style God who can swing from benevolence to pettiness to rage in a heartbeat. The drama of their relationship and Marc's fight against his own dark nature and fragmented personality are a big part of why the comics work, and they are the good parts of this show. I'm in 100% agreement with you that once the suit comes on it's just bog-standard cape poo poo with very little life to it. The best stuff has been either the dramatic or cosmic elements.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Field Mousepad posted:

The new moon knight episode, the ending was...... interesting.

Yeah I was actually not super-happy with the show's low-rent Mummying (I mean, it's Sondheim-style tomb raiding, I like that, but it was a pretty bland implementation of it) and PG-13 horror but the ending was exactly what I like about the comic - because it's taken from the comic. But still, nice to see. Moon Knight should be weird, metaphorical, and absurd. More arguing with reflections and weird psychodrama, please. And no more Harrow Shows Up and Drops a Truth Bomb And Departs Scenes, for chrissake.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Unfortunately? I consider New Rose Hotel is one of the greatest cyberpunk short stories ever, what's unfortunate about that?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

One of the interesting things here is that on Playstation, you can search for a movie and it shows you all the services it's on. It's actually pretty convenient.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You literally could order a Satellite descrambler from Canadians in the late 80s. Got you all the channels for free. You had to update it every so often with a proprietary device, though. It was my dad's deal, I never really paid attention.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Tainen posted:

Wtf I just found out there is a new season of Bosch coming out tomorrow. I thought it was over after the last season.

We will never be rid of Bosch.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The Modern Leper posted:

Winning Time is not a good show, but I don't think there was a moment when I wasn't entertained.

How is that not "good" ?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah, Adam McKay "only" made a movie that kept people interested in one of the driest, labyrinthian, and least accessible topics imaginable.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

oh god oh gently caress posted:

Yeah I guess so. Mid is mid

I mean, Step Brothers is one of the few memorable comedies of the last 15 years, so I guess what I'm saying is I don't know what you're on about. I suspect that he has some stylistic quirk that really annoys you, but why should anyone else give a poo poo?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The Modern Leper posted:

What does this even mean? Like how many is "few"? I haven't done a comparison, but I would not be surprised if I've enjoyed Paul Feig's overall filmography more than McKay's.

Fake Edit: As a director, it's personally no contest. Which is not to say that McKay's a bad filmmaker, but this apparent shock that people wouldn't be that into him feels disingenuous.

Paul Feig is also on the upper tier of current comedy directors, so if everyone suddenly started saying he was "meh" I would be confused.

Who is currently directing better comedies than McKay and Feig? I really want to know.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

That’s the one with Ray Wise right?

A little off-topic, but I knew an actress who worked with Ray Wise on a small project and said he was an absolute gem who was obsessed with getting back to his hotel and soaking in the hot tub (solo) after every day's shoot.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

feedmyleg posted:

Welp, didn't realize I was about to spoil that show for myself. Thought I was getting dino spoilers.

It's not spoiled very much, depending on how much inference you can do this anywhere from the end of the first episode to the beginning of the third (it's explicit there), tops.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Obi-Wan did the thing that Book of Boba Fett did, which is to shoot the action so ineptly that it becomes tiresome. They can't even keep the threat level consistent, so there are no stakes at all. Hardened mercenaries fail to capture a jogging 10 year old because they comically slip on a twig or literally run into a tree branch that is plainly in front of them. Participants in a gun fight suddenly stop shooting and vanish, only to reappear at a dramatically appropriate moment to get owned.

Imagine if Vader suddenly slipped on a convenient puddle of bacta in the middle of the Cloud City fight so that Luke could escape him, or Storm Troopers were unable to beat teddy bears armed with sticks and stones and ropes. Oh that last part actually happened and the fans griped endlessly about it and let it overshadow the incredible Vader/Luke rematch? Cool, they made a whole show of that and there's no actual dramatic scene with stakes to counterbalance it, so the end result is that there's no thrills, no chills, and no spills. You're watching bad choreography on bad greenscreened sets where undertrained actors stiffly hit their beats.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Field Mousepad posted:

Army of Darkness is a goddamn masterpiece and I will die on this hill

Army of Darkness was my entry into Sam Raimi. Rented it from the Super Duper Video because I read a review of it from Roger Ebert who had the following line:

quote:

Ash, you will recall, lost his left forearm in an earlier film, and has had the stump modified to act as a mounting for a chainsaw. He fires a shotgun with his right hand, and in case you're wondering how anyone could load a shotgun with a chainsaw, the answer is: It's not necessary, because the shotgun never needs loading.

They could have fired up the searchlights and had a 40 story flashing neon arrow pointing to the VHS box and it would have been less effective on me than those two sentences.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

DeimosRising posted:

You must have been so disappointed when he loads the shotgun, repeatedly, on screen, in a completely plausible way

Nah because he still shoots like 5 shots with a double barrel. He only reloads it when it's cool.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I thought the premise for Bone Tomahawk was great, and I stole it for a D&D adventure. I made them gnolls and just had them take over an isolated outpost (a Keep On the Borderlands, if you will) instead of a damsel in distress situation.

To be honest I didn't think it was some kind of slam on Native Americans any more than Deliverance's feral hillbillies were a slam on rural whites, but times change I guess.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 1, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

precision posted:

right i mean, it might be, but i'm so tired of media about media about media which only discusses everything in terms of "THING has OBJECTIVELY AWFUL MESSAGE, is LITERAL HITLER"

doesn't anyone ever get tired of only holding the most extreme loving opinion on everything, jesus

I suspect you're just getting tired of the mind virus that's been going around for a while on the 'Net that the "correct thing" to believe is easy and simple and anyone can see it and there's no debate at all and if you don't buy into it you're a degenerate.

Social media has basically made everyone into an evangelical mindset (I include myself, but I'm trying to fight it - and I've given up most social media). It's a pretty wild thing to live through.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Brocktoon posted:

What about being outraged all the time about people being outraged?

Instead of deflecting, why don't you answer precision's questions?

precision posted:

do you think Deliverance was racist against white Southerners?

do you think I Spit On Your Grave is misandrist????

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Severance.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

mcmagic posted:

I would hold off on severance. It has a vicious cliffhanger so you'd want to watch it as close as possible to the next season. Watch Pachinko and For All Mankind. Even the dumb CGI dinosaur show is pretty fun.

I will wager that season 2 will have an equally vicious cliffhanger, so it's kind of a wash.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Feels like it's a Hamilton - a small group goes nuts and everyone else wonders what the fuss was about (I haven't seen it yet).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Glottis posted:

I'm also of the opinion that Shang Chi has some of the best fight scenes on film, period, so I'm excited.

Which scenes?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

A MIRACLE posted:

What’s a good wuxia to watch. Like if you could only pick one

Lame-rear end mainstream answer but Hero.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Nihonniboku posted:

The bus scene was pretty thrilling

Was it one of the best action scenes put to film?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You know what is a boomer-Tom Clancy type of movie that has aged horrendously? "Clear and Present Danger". Great cast, good performances, wild 90s lib mindset. Very instructive stuff.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Goons really using "meltdown" in the loosest terms these days arent they lol

Nobody liked "Getting A Bit Miffed June"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Punkin Spunkin posted:

For a film that emotionally resonated with so many people, Everything Everywhere just felt cloying and fake to me. I get why the comparison feels out of nowhere.

Big Hamilton energy?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Everything Everywhere does a lot of technically impressive stuff and visually looks great, whereas Hamilton is oatmeal mush for neolibs to clap at. It’s not a fair comparison at all.

I'm just talking about the energy of "this is resonating with people deeply and I have no idea why", I'm not comparing their actual artistry.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

mystes posted:

The energy of "other people have the gall to like something I don't"

Nah, that's not it. It's like being passionate about gym socks. It doesn't offend, it's more like I simply cannot grasp the mindset. On the other hand Twilight or Harry Potter, I don't like it but I utterly get the appeal.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm talking about my response to Hamilton and Punkin's response to EEAAO as a comparison. I'm comparing the nature of the response. I haven't seen EEAAO and everyone who has seen it and knows me says that, at a minimum, I will really really like it (and I fully expect to). But yeah let's just drop it because this thread is being weird as hell and if someone doesn't like a movie I don't personally take offense to that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Lol at Wanda threatening the entire universe to get the most stock photo rear end white kids in existence. YOU DONT UNDERSTAND, STRANGE, I NEED CODY AND KAYYLNN

I don't see any way to read this other than either "mothers shouldn't value their kids if they're boring, blonde, and white" or "I don't value kid lives if they're boring, blonde, and white" and either way....yuck. I hope I'm wrong.

Edit: turns out I'm oversensitive about kids and we figure it out downstream.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 23, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

tweet my meat posted:

Unfortunately you're 100% right, that post clearly indicates that the poster lusts for the death of all blonde haired white children who do not reach acceptable levels of quirkiness.

I don't think that. I mean, I get that they're generic but come on. They're her kids.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I dunno guys, I guess I'm not in a place where a movie specifically has to (virtually) reach across the aisle and say "you shouldn't want these kids to die because they're funny/interesting/quirky/whatever". I guess though that these films are consumable products with an air of unreality, so it's like "look I don't care who these people are supposed to be, I want to see the quips and the explosions." And those kids definitely don't deliver on that angle, yeah.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

A MIRACLE posted:

They were basically props in the tv show

One thing that genuinely bothered me in WandaVision was when the illusion was shattered and her fake reality is collapsing, she puts her boys to bed and then walks away, accepting that they will be destroyed out of her sight. It was so they could soften the impact of their "death"/dissolution, but it really rang false to me. No parent is going to walk in the next room and let their drat kids die in solitude. Very false moment but Actually Being Present For The Kid Death would be a truly dramatic scene and we can't have that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Also lol at megaman bein like "prejudice against whites maybe??? Oh NOOOO"

Not caring about a character doesn't make you prejudiced against them, and you had a couple of other descriptors too. It was more like "these kids are soooo boring...why should anyone care about them?" and it's like well the audience doesn't have to, it's certainly a choice, but their mother probably should. That's just basic characterization.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

For some reason I heard this in Creedy's voice from V For Vendetta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Nihonniboku posted:

Season 1 was good, and a fun twist on the whole true crime podcast craze. Selena Gomez was definitely weakest part of the show, but it's kind of hard to stand out when you're in a cast of Steve Martin, Martin Short, Nathan Lane, and Amy Ryan. I was surprised when I saw a couple of articles talking about how she was snubbed by the Emmy nominations this year, left my head scratching, until I saw a couple more articles about how now publicists are doing this thing where they are paying money to publications to mention their clients as being snubbed for major awards when they were never in the running and weren't being put up for nominations by their studios or networks in the first place.

I had literally just seen one of these articles this morning and was baffled on how she could ever be considered for any sort of award; she's fine on the show but not noteworthy in the slightest and mostly plays straight man to Martin and Short. So your explanation cleared a lot of stuff up for me - thanks!