Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Finished Station Eleven last night, after seeing it mentioned in the previous iteration of this thread.

Absolutely beautiful, profoundly moving. I loved it.

In a lesser series, stuff like Jeevan surviving and meeting Kirsten again, or Dylan reconciling with his mum and Clark would've come off as trite, but I really thought it earned that resolution. Unlike a lot of post-apoc media, it actually has the courage to depict growth, healing and catharsis. It respects its characters enough not to just relentlessly abuse them.

I was really leery about starting the series when I learned what the premise was - because I thought what I wanted and needed right now was escapism from, y'know, global respiratory disease pandemics - but I was totally wrong about what I wanted and needed.

Station Eleven's message is pretty stark, but highly apropos for 20micron22. We will never have it the same way again. The pre-pandemic world is never coming back. But that doesn't mean we can't learn to better empathise with others, to overcome trauma, and - both in spite of and because of extraordinary adversity - even rise to become our better selves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

smackfu posted:

There was talk that Station Eleven was “uplifting” because it showed art surviving in a post-pandemic future but it was still overall pretty grim. Even after everyone gets killed off.

Well, yeah, 99.99% of humanity died, it's never not going to be grim

The point of the show is finding some small specks of hope in the wreckage, whether it's art or simply caring for and looking after each other

I found that really uplifting

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Just finished Station Eleven and, man, holy poo poo was that good. Takes a few episodes to get into its groove and then its just great to the end.

I loved the book. Loved loved loved it and this, I would almost say, is better. But they are *wildly* different. This is basically a reimagining of the book, not an adaptation.

But I'm not mad at that. I love that we get these two stories, in two mediums, told pretty radically different.

poo poo. So good.

:hai:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I watched the first episode of Patriot and really disliked it. The impression I got is that it is to the CIA as Brooklyn 99 is to cops, it felt way too humanising and sympathetic.

Did I get the wrong end of the stick? Does it wind up making GBS threads relentlessly on sad spook, spook paterfamilias, and congressman brother?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Severance is some of the best TV I've watched in a long, long time. I love everything about it - writing, music, acting, aesthetic, all top notch. The finale was absolutely gripping, I'm at once completely satisfied and hungry for more.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I just watched the first season of Russian Doll and I've never seen her in anything before

It took me several episodes before I could get my head around her voice. To my limey ears, she sounds just like a cartoon character. She sounds like Bugs Bunny

Anyway it turns out I really like that, actually, and it was a cool season

And I can't get that fuckin' song out of my head

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

For all mankind is really cool at times but it’s definitely got some Tom Clancy style boomer writing / military hero worship. Feels like a join the navy ad most of the time. Of course they aren’t going to poo poo on Reagan

This is what stopped me watching it about four episodes into the first season.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Martman posted:

For some reason there's a new Beavis and Butthead movie (on Paramount Plus)

I think I might be stupid but I liked it.

I loved it! And I am definitely stupid

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Smart Beavis and Smart Butthead were so god damned funny

Hmm yes most droll yes most amusing hmm yes

EDIT also the punchline at the end about their smartness was brilliant

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Medullah posted:

I absolutely lost it at the reveal "even though we are the smartest Beavis and Butt-Head, we are still not that bright". There's just something about Judge's delivery with Beavis that I still love all these years later.

Yeah, that made me roar. Absolutely brilliant

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Station Eleven is so good possibly the best thing I saw this year it's thoughtful affecting funny it's got good performances it has an actual end and not a cliffhanger. That is what TV should be

Extremely co-signed. It was one of the most satisfying artistic experiences I've had in years and years. I still think about it all the time

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Upsidads posted:

Finally finished with Stranger things latest season, It still pretty filled with good ideas crapped out like satanic power and what just feels like a story retconned into working each season
I don't recommended it

I've only watched the first episode of the fourth season but I gotta say it didn't disabuse me of the notion I've had since the second season, which is that Stranger Things should've ended with the first season

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm a dumb person and bad poster, but I'm enjoying the new Beavis and Butt-Head a lot.

Liking Beavis and Butthead is actually a sign of highly advanced intelligence

I'm not really even joking

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm watching succession and it was getting kinda unbearable but I just got to the wedding episode and I'm back in baybee

Fuuuuuuck it's so goooood

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

I'm kind of disappointed by Adult Swim: Infomercials, but I like Ambient Swim, both on HBO Max. Information is such a perfect idea, but they make them too long to maintain the shock of whatever weird thing they're advertising. I did like the dog food steroid one. Ambient Swim is perfect for what it sets out to be: something to have on the TV until you feel the mushrooms coming on.

This sounds extremely up my street

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Stayne Falls posted:

I'm not intending this to be a dig, but Black Lighter and OpenSourceIdiom I feel like you should both do some light Internet research on how writers in Europe reacted to the idea of the novel when it became the big thing. Your argument is starting to sound less like "Sci-Fi is for children" and more like "fiction is bad", which other posters are reacting to with derision (maybe rightly so) because that's a topic that's been recycled over and over for like hundreds of years.

Hell, more like thousands - Plato was, uh, not a big fan of poets (they're liars!!!)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I think "Bluey is the best kids show ever" is just common accepted knowledge at this point.

Hey Duggee is also wonderful, though they're for slightly different age groups

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Hereditary was brilliant and I never ever wanna see it again lol

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Station Eleven.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm still trying to decide if I like this show or not 4 episodes in, though I'm leaning towards not. Tonally it's just very strange, all of the characters have such a cartoonish unreality to them that I was convinced the first episode was a dream sequence until it became clear that wasn't what they were going for.

Yeah, same. I was drawn in by the first episode but the second and third had lots of really egregious expository dialogue, of the "as you know, five years ago I moved here after breaking up with my second husband, and as I'm sure you remember, since we see each other every day, I have two children and I feel very conflicted about my responsibilities as a professional and a parent" variety. Most of the jokes are pretty third rate and the characters are very stock (which I get is probably at least slightly intentional).

It's like someone mashed up Severance and, I dunno, Gilmore Girls. It's an awkward fit. Chris O'Dowd is basically carrying the whole thing, and he's the only person with funny lines. It almost feels like he was the only one who got to improvise or alter his lines or something. Or it could just be his natural skill as an actor making mediocre writing seem decent

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Nightmare Cinema posted:

You watch all of it. Ever last drop.

Do Fire Walk With Me & The Missing Pieces between S2 & 3.

drat good coffee.

Yep, it's this - it's gotta be this.

I only watched Twin Peaks a couple of years ago but it absolutely consumed me for awhile. It was every bit as good as everyone told me it was, and then some.

A big chunk of season 2 is not very good (compared to the rest of it, anyway), but even when it's kinda bad, it's still Twin Peaks.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I really enjoyed They Cloned Tyrone, for the reasons you give but also because it looks pretty dang snazzy too

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Station Eleven is so good. So good

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Been catching up with Rez Dogs and man, the Deer Lady episode made me feel sick

Like, actually physically nauseous. Reminded me of the first time I saw Fire Walk With Me, which produced a similar reaction

That show is so loving good but I wasn't prepared for that

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

they just dragged kids out of bed and some creepy guy killed them? was that a thing?

TW I had the strong impression he was raping them. I might be wrong, but I guess it is pretty ambiguous either way

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Tokelau All Star posted:

Latest Rez Dogs was incredible. Now that I have kids, this hit me right in the chest. Devery Jacobs and Ethan Hawke both need Emmys for this. It would have been so easy to just write Elora's dad as some piece of poo poo guy. Instead, we got a real picture of a flawed man who knows he hosed up real bad, knows he can't ever make up for it, and is barely holding it together trying to do better with the kids he does have. I really felt for both him and Elora.

This was masterclass writing and acting. Just real humanity on screen. This season has been fantastic. Give this show all the awards, there's nothing better on TV this year.

Felt the exact same way.

Hell, every episode of this series has been a mini-masterpiece in and of itself. Funny, creative, compassionate and humane but never ever mawkish, and with its own uniquely tangible tone and rhythm.

I am really going to miss every single character when it's over.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

This poo poo sounds like the least sexy thing you could possibly watch.

It is. If it was in any way sexy it wouldn't be on british television

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Pigma_Micron posted:

More broadly, documentaries about corporate malfeasance, like Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room and Downfall: The Case against Boeing, come pretty close to that special feeling.

Thanks for these! My partner and I are really into this kind of documentary, we can't really stomach murder docs anymore

I started Love Has Won and noped out almost immediately at the dead baby. I don't need to see that poo poo. No one does

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Whoever you're referring to is a hero, gently caress ads forever no matter how few no matter how short

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Started the Blackberry movie. They let howerton off the leash

I thought he absolutely smashed it in that film. He's the best actor on Sunny, I think, and he really deserves to get more work doing meaty roles

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Wow, y'all weren't kidding, TMNT was brilliant. My partner - who has and never had any interest in the franchise at all - loved it. I was surprised to find myself genuinely tearing up at points.

Just a really sweet-natured, good-hearted, cool, fresh and funny film all round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Baby Raindeer is one of the most hosed up things I've seen on TV. Not sure if I regret watching it or not.

I watched the first episode on the weekend while tripping

I had no idea how bad an idea that was lol