Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Starks posted:

Don't Look Up is a weird movie, there's a lot of half-baked stuff in there. Both relationship sub plots go nowhere, Chalamet is completely wasted, the president is actually like 3 different characters, etc etc. It could've been funny but it needed more time in the oven IMO. The best joke in the movie is the general charging for snacks and they recycle it like 6 times.

Still the best Chalamet film all year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

Wait, what?? There has never been an actress other than Kaitlin Olson play Dee.

Next you're gonna act like you don't remember when Paul Giamatti played Frank for that one season

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Just finished Station Eleven and, man, holy poo poo was that good. Takes a few episodes to get into its groove and then its just great to the end.

I loved the book. Loved loved loved it and this, I would almost say, is better. But they are *wildly* different. This is basically a reimagining of the book, not an adaptation.

But I'm not mad at that. I love that we get these two stories, in two mediums, told pretty radically different.

poo poo. So good.

This is by far my preferred approach with any book to film/tv adaptation. Annihilation was similar.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I stopped watching Pluto after it kept serving me non-stop alt-right propaganda during the ad breaks. Has it calmed down a bit?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This was in Colorado a couple years ago and included things like people pretending to be healthcare workers attacking access to healthcare. They were pretty nasty political ads and the same ones would play over and over again during a show so it got real tiresome.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pospysyl posted:

When are we going to get a Lake Placid vs. Lake Mungo crossover, I wonder.

There was a gator in the photos all along

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

It's making their service look pretty bad atm. One of the most expensive services that just keeps raising their prices and you have to dig to find anything other than their flavor of the moment, which increasingly seems to be mostly trash reality shows. Feels like there is 5 things to watch on there.

It's definitely not exclusive to netflix though. All of them are horrible at showcasing their content except maybe like, Apple TV and Disney+ but they don't have that much.

There's a lot of things making their service look pretty bad right now. It's bizarre to see them flailing publicly in response to the quarterly report; the instant appearance of plans to implement advertising tiers, punish account sharers, defund content, and limit their service in other ways make them look panicked. There are probably some meaningful, long-term changes they could make to attract subscribers again but rushed decision-making isn't going to get them there.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Josh Wow posted:

I've watched every episode of this on Shudder and have never come across this, you got any examples?

Joe Bob rules and the episode last night was great. I also highly recommend the valentine's day special from this year where they showed Black Roses and Frankenhooker.

I was watching the Heathers episode recently and he complained that the Sandy Hook kids were making too much of a big deal about it lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

All of these companies are so bad at creating UIs to pick and watch videos I have to believe it’s intentional at this point

I was thinking about how we’ve seemed to regress when I was trying to use YouTube Music in my car and it would only show me a portion of an artist’s albums that showed in the app on my phone.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chemtrailologist posted:

Yes, this is the thing that every single Youtube film critic brings up like its incisive commentary.

Clearly when something is dumb enough that everyone tears into it it horseshoes into being so smart, actually

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I wish the dogs would die slower so I could have more time to pee

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I just think it should be called a "speculamentary" or something (probably a less stupid name would be better). Surely they will make a new one in a decade and the science surrounding dinosaurs will have changed so much half of it will look dated, just like every previous dino doc. I know they are using a mix of existing ecosystems, fossil records etc. so it's not just making poo poo up on the fly, but no one is ever going to know what it was like in the prehistoric era so I think "documentary" as a tag is off.

Even with something like ancient Rome/Egypt it's a bit spotty but at least we have a lot more to go off of. Even those are full of speculation though so I'd put them in the same category. I think of a documentary as something that documents reality, not something that speculates about reality.

lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

precision posted:

none of the "free with ads" sites have bad ads though. it's always just a couple short car insurance ads or whatever.

not like youtube giving you literally 5 minutes of ads every 2 minutes of content lmao

I read once that YouTube technically doesn’t have a limit on ad length as long as there’s a skip button

Fall asleep to Techmoan and you’ll get an hour and a half NFT ad drilled into your brain

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Timby posted:

I don't get the whining about ads.

Like, isn't the point of being in business to make money? Sure, gently caress capitalism and gently caress CEOs who make a dollar while the rank and file make a dime, but are these companies just supposed to provide poo poo for free?

I stopped watching PlutoTV because it was just nonstop ads for the raunchiest, nastiest right winger poo poo with actors in scrubs telling me healthcare makes kids gay.

I was fine with it as an ad supported service until that became the norm.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Brocktoon posted:

Spent the entirety of Season 4 of Stranger Things believing it was the last season and was very confused at the end until I googled and found out there’s actually going to be 5 seasons.

This was how I felt with the Expanse except I didn’t get to find out there would actually be another season lmao

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

precision posted:

any time i watch a random new Simpsons episode, i'm either astonished by how bad it actually is, or astonished that it's not that bad. it doesn't seem to ever have hit that bland middle road that most Family Guy sunk into

Yeah I’ve caught a few newer ones that are actually well-written but whenever FX cycles back to the beginning of the series I’m reminded that the earlier episodes were massively better.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I watched Sopranos for the first time in 2020 and in my opinion it has aged brilliantly

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

Everything has been said about it at this point (because it's twenty years old and redefined television and etc etc) but it's so funny rewatching it now because the central themes of 'people dont change and everything is only getting worse' has come to define our entire culture lol

Yeah I’d be interested in seeing what people think *didn’t* age well about its portrayal of society and the lives these people lead, because a lot of it still seemed perfectly relevant. Especially when it comes to how the wealthy interact have such a different experience with law and consequence.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

More writers need to adopt a "gently caress the fans" attitude instead of whatever this is

This isn't even about "gently caress the fans," it's having confidence in your own writing. What a strange thing to do.

It's not wrong for fans of the show to talk about it and theorize about what's happening.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Was it She-Devil?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

People do fastidiously archive and distribute streaming media. Make your own drat physical copy if you want one.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dibs on the cross post to the curse thread

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: nm

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 6, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

I watched one and a half episodes of Sandman with a buddy but cut it short because his wife and her boyfriend started fighting

Hold up

Kalko posted:

Prey was really good. Imagine putting build-up in your movie and letting scenes breathe. Jurassic World: Dominion was such a gigantic pile of dinosaur poo poo.

Loved the brief bit where the three trappers fired their muskets and then there was a split second pause as both sides realized they needed to reload. I loved her anime rope-axe, too. Very cool looking effect.

Prey was a really pleasant surprise. I was expecting half-assed, embarrassing and poorly-shot junk but it was just really well done all around.

I couldn’t stand Dominion and gave up on it after about 15 minutes. It was made with all the money in the world and turned out exactly how I was worried Prey would.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 6, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Honestly all the Predators at Predator High School would make fun of this guy for coming back with a wolf skull as one of his trophies. Like c'mon bro, you really gonna square up with a wolf? You're like eight feet tall and can lift a bear.
Before the rattlesnake it should have gotten spooked by a particularly mean-looking rat, killed it with a laser, and then meticulously cleaned its skull to put it on its belt.

As far as I'm concerned it only killed the Comanche-speaking Frenchman cuz it got startled by the noise he made lol

Reality has recontextualized The Predator into Donald Trump Jr posing next to a dead elephant

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

He doesn’t have a head cannon in the latest one

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Predator 2 didn’t need multiples minutes of lore about a gun lol

Carving that stuff off for comic book nerds is always the right move

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I know. It was just funny that they made such a big deal out of hyping it, went through all the trouble of producing a tie-in comic about the pirate the Predator hunted with, and then excised all of it, but kept the old-timey pirate gun.

They could have just had him give him something else (like the thing he used to kill the Predator). Without context, it just seems weird that the Predators have an old flintlock pistol on their spaceship, they give it to him for killing one of their own, and then walk away.

That’s not even the only unexplained lore-building prop in the movie though

The implication is pretty straightforward just based on the context of the Predator having something like that

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

Quick question - in Licorice Pizza, isn't he 15 into 16 and she like 25?

Leon: The Professional 2 got weird

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just casually slipping an alt right meme into my commentary on the new Marvel movie lmao

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’d mulch a thousand HBO animated series for a second of Nathan Fielder

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

has anyone watched the new game of thrones lol

No, prequels are copouts when they’re not about lawyers

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

yoohoo posted:

The developers are a couple of nobodies and the guy behind the first two episodes also directed a Jurassic World movie. For the next 12 hours I’m taking every review with an Amazon sized grain of salt.

:chloe:

It's incredible how easily so much money can get tossed around

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The new one sucks massive rear end and you really should be looking for anything else with dinos if you’ve got the urge

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Walmart+ is supposed to come with a Paramount+ subscription as of this month. Anyone know how to activate it?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

doctorthefonz posted:

Moonfall: MEGASTRUCTURE on HBO (it sucks)

Moonfall owns

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m glad Elvis only had approximately three seconds of that terrible Doja Cat song

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s really good and has consistently been extremely entertaining for every single season

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

I love kobra kai haven’t watched the new one yet tho. It is aggressively stupid

It’s definitely not a “smart” show and thank god because there’s been enough of those lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok he's trolling