Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Did an AppleTV trial for The Tragedy of Macbeth and goddamn is it lacking. The film too sure, but I mean the streaming service. They really really ain't got poo poo. Any recommendations for their tv series? I ain't watching "Ted Lasso" whatever tf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Better Watch Out on Prime is without a doubt the worst movie I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of movies. And no it ain't fun bad or so bad it has to be seen to be believed, just read the plot on wikipedia if you really wanna. it's Funny Games by way of a Redditor manchild. Incredibly cringy.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

Better Watch Out is great
No...no...
Bad. Bad.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's directed by the Hardcore Henry guy so it's still a reliable enough pick for a stupid but solid action film.
Also why Russians feature a significant part of the plot

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

doctorthefonz posted:

You might be interested in The Art of Self-Defense which is on hulu, I loved it
Big fan here as well

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Just finally saw Mission Impossible Fallout (Paramount Plus trial) definitely the best since MI3. I haven't watched the first or two since I was a lil kid (and I hear Woo's isn't really worth revisting?) but I'm ranking 3 > 6 > 5 > 4 rn
No Renner, Cavill kicking rear end, less quipping (less Pegg!), and Sean Harris not only doesn't have to do all the villain lifting but he also has a beard so he looks less like an angry rodent. Major upgrades here.
I did find it funny though that given the Lark twist, the dude is a terrorist mastermind but also an incredible dipshit who would've gotten himself IMMEDIATELY killed on his super secret mission just cuz he wanted to jump during a lightning storm 🤣 I guess if Ethan Hunt hadn't gotten to him in time the movie wouldn't have happened .

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So you're saying it gets worse

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's like Punisher War Zone years after the fact. On one level it's refreshing that superhero movies with such limitless brutality that they give me ptsd still exist, but it's also a mess.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Was he involved with that MLK ep cuz jfc. Hate that Bill Cosby pull up your pants respectability poo poo so much. There was a surprising amount of wrongheaded b.s. on that show considering i think i remember the strip being mostly on point

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Just blazed through the first couple episodes of Reacher on prime and it's pretty good. Way better than the lovely Jack Ryan series.
Does it have the charm of the first Tom Cruise movie? I wasnt familiar with the books but i was really into that film. Goofy charm, with a suprising sense of humor.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I liked the new Nightmare Alley. :shrug: found it entertaining enough. It may not be in say, the GDT top 3 but it's still visually compelling enough with a solid cast (and I never usually care for Cooper). Cate Blanchett and Willem Dafoe are fun and it's worth it just to see Del Toro take a shot at noir.

I'm on a Mike Flanigan streaming run rn. Watched his Ouija (on HBO) and Oculus, both decent and creepy films. Gonna hit up Hush on Netflix next.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is Godzilla v Kong as full of excrutiating quips as King of Monsters cuz jfc the latter was some excrutiating dogshit. The tendency in the wake of the MCU's success to cram in cutesy dork rear end Whedon quips every other line in action blockbusters is loving torture. The fortune cookie line oh my god.
No moment is allowed any seriousness or gravitas for longer than ten seconds before some dude is like "Uhh yeah, so that happened." I get that they're stupid giant monster movies so it doesn't have to be entirely serious but that poo poo was torture.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The King's Man is genuinely such a loving evil movie. It's like the movie inside of Inglorious Basterds (but actually worse tbh) except the genocidal Brits get to make those irl because they wrote the histories.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I just thought The King's Man was thoroughly loving evil British propaganda with poisonous ideology popular among Weird Lonely White Guys in Military Jackets Who Think War History is the Only Type of History...and their dads. Between the RIGHT HAND AND LEFT HAND OF EVIL, HITLER AND LENIN and the EVERYONE WHO ISNT BRITISH IS IN A SECRET LEAGUE TO DESTROY THE BRITISH EMPIRE A RIGHTEOUS FORCE FOR GOOD.
Oh dear these concentration camps are a tad unseemly though, i must say! :monocle:

Applying MCU vibes to real historical figures is some dangerous fuckin poo poo esp in the hands of the weird reactionaries who make and write these movies. I get that the previous ones were pretty reactionary too but there's just something esp poisonous about making world war Kingsman flicks.

It's like some "what movies would the Nazis have made if they'd won the war", by the Nazis who did win.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I dunno if I'd call the action film itself in a vacuum bad, it's just one of the most evil repugnant films ever made in terms of the worldview it presents and represents and the fact that it skirts under some people's radar with that poo poo just goes to show how bad imperial indoctrination and rewriting of history is.
James Bond was never this bad. Hell, sometimes he teamed up with the Commies!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Prime is such bullshit when it comes to forced dubbing, but so are a lot of streaming channels. Like apparently if I wanna watch Night Watch, Red Cliff, or basically any Hong Kong movie in its original language and not narrated by Movie Trailer Announcer Guy for an audience of complete dipshits I'm just poo poo out of luck.
It's basically ruined any Jackie Chan that exists out of the criterion channel

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I was wowed by Wes Anderson's style and direction, but it's got some of his weakest most tedious characters and stories. His style is at its peak but i felt the narrative is at its thinnest for wes anderson, and not just cuz it's a series of cornball new yorker vignettes that feel almost like a parody of wes anderson but just because it's mostly pretentious tired observations on art and 1968 where ur sometimes just like, is this in on the joke or just skin deep.
It's no surprise the strongest bit is Wes just taking the real vibrant character of James Baldwin and giving it to Jeffrey Wright. That's an easy win. The stuff Wes actually had to think up past that is his lamest yet.

This may be controversial but I feel like both Andersons were too into their comfort zones with their new movies. PT's proven he can make a masterpiece about anything, and it's just like, more white dude 70s nostalgia huh. Like The French Dispatch is the most Wes Andersony movie yet Wes Andersoned, Licorice Pizza is the same for PT. So...on the nose?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watching Wild Wild Country is interesting. In all the sort of clickbait/podcast takes I'd heard about this story before it was made into a doc, it was all about this WACKY POWER-HUNGRY EVIL CULT but the real villains revealed are psychopathic arrogant white Americans and their media. "THEY'RE BRINGING IN 'STREET PEOPLE'!! AND FEEDING THEM!!! WE NEED TO BOMB THEM!!"
the absolute ARROGANCE to act like they have a centimeter of room to cry about "seperation of church and state". As if they'd give a gently caress if this were a bunch of Methodists and not SCARY EASTERN THING WITH HOMELESS PEOPLE!! The attorney general literally describes his mission to defend the seperation of church and state from these people as "a mission from god" lmao you cant make that poo poo up
And it also reveals how willing these white people are to bend the law or change the law to support the outcomes they want, all their laws and imbecilic talk of DEMOCRACY and CONSTITUTION are just a pretense to get the white supremacist psycho outcomes they want. They're fine with Utah just basically being a sovereign Mormon state, they're fine with their own churches having a strangehold over our politics.
It's like the people scaremongering about SHARIA LAW while they're literally the white Christian Taliban.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 19, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly I wasn't that high on Interstellar, other than having fun with Matt Damon. Like, at least Tenet was stupid but kinda fun sometimes.
Dunkirk was just like, the most expensive History Channel dramatization ever, basically. Spectacle to be sure but not exactly...characters.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I liked it. It didn't blow me away but Rebecca Hall is really good in everything (see Christine, the most depressing film) and it's worth seeing.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Colin Farrell thing purely seems to exist so people can be like "wow did you know that's colin farrell!!" Wow, makeup has come a long way! And? He does a fine job but really what's the point here.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

What's the point of anything

The Batman is not real lol
????

I just mean that specific choice to just bury a known actor in transformative makeup just seemed gimmicky, but tbf i was asking what was the point of anything watching the movie multiple times. Like there's nothing remotely interesting you can do with any of these characters rn imo. We've gotten too many Batmen and too many Jokers and too many Catwomen. Too many Spider-Men, etc. Gotta force 20 year gaps. It just feels like shuffling bodies in and out.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 19, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Batman mostly supports the troops and the cops (the good apples 😏) and has little sympathy for the hard choices of poor people "selling out for money". But I guess chuds will always find something to whine about. Catwoman mentioned white people exist!!!!!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watching Three on prime and im tired of hong kong cinema cops and robbers bullshit. It's the same sort of bullshit that turns me off of a lot of early Jackie Chan. It's all nauseating anglophiles armed with hollywood cliches.
I just want more poo poo like Throw Down from Johnny To, is that too much to ask? Now that was a good stylish movie that toed the line of melodrama/cheese, unlike say, the corny gangster character portrayal in Three trying to get his Nick Cage on but failing miserably at nearly every opportunity. Like poo poo I'd rather just watch Con Air or The Rock.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 20, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Righting Wrongs/Above the Law is one of the greatest movies of all time id never heard of. Just incredible.
Unfortunately it was only on "Hiyah" which i was doin a free trial of on Prime, and the subtitles got earlier and earlier out of sync halfway in. Maybe there are other ways to see it?
I'll let these posters speak for themselves. It's a rare case where the 80s action poster not only accurately represents the wonders in store but the movie itself is even cooler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePUp8Yi3zH4

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Id honestly say skip The Gentlemen. Sure Hugh Grant is fun but it kinda blows. Maybe not as much as Wrath of Man, but it's not really worth your time. Kinda wack Joe Carnahan tier poo poo. I'm not sure you need to watch any Ritchie past Revolver (purely for Sweaty Liotta). Maybe RocknRolla is okay? I can't remember.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, it really felt good hearing that Kids in the Hall theme going, real sentimental and nostalgic hearin that and seein them as old men. I havent gotten that far into it but it seemed solid.

And i agree regarding Old being stupid and awkward but kinda fun and charming. I just like that it's a movie someone actually made. Don't get me wrong, it's not like, reaaally a recommend, but I like a low to mid budget sci-fi film committed to its weird stupid concept.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Weeeell, "what no are you a moron" is a fair response to pretty much everything in Darjeeling Limited. Nice Eat Pray Love dude.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I genuinely think Darjeeling is his whitest most pathetic movie. Just takes the lamest parts of Bottle Rocket and has an Indian kid die and another brown lady working her job fall in love with a creepily insistent guy, just to help some self-absorbed anxious rich white dude artistes find themselves. Don't worry though there are other Indian characters, such as the boy sacrifice and the MEAN CONTROLLING BROWN BF.
it's seriously such a basic bitch movie about white dudes finding themselves through ~EASTERN SPIRITUALITY~ that only gets credit because Wes Anderson's direction and camerawork is fantastic and he has good taste in music. It's twee orientalism/colonialism in film form. Basically one of those Eat Pray Love type movies where the white lady goes to a Foreign Place and fucks/"finds herself" but for hipster white dudes. What a banal and tedious 2D representation of India too, I'm surprised they didn't ride a loving elephant and walk on hot coals. Without a doubt his worst film, completely lacking in self-awareness.

At a certain point I realized too many Wes Anderson movies were just centered around self-absorbed upperclass mostly white intelligentsia and im super tired of it. At least Grand Budapest Hotel was good.

To quote Swati Pandey, "Westerners building an image of themselves and the East by scavenging and stereotyping the East. Only this time, it’s less white man’s burden and more white man’s accessory." 

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Im just tired of films about white people going to a FOREIGN LAND and those around them only exist as thin stereotypes or accessories, a backdrop. Eastern men tend to be emasculated or portrayed as controlling/more tyrannical in these stereotypical films while eastern women are overly sexualized. The only two really significant Indian characters in Darjeeling are both of those stereotypes!!!

I guess it's freshly obnoxious for me since I just saw it recently for the first time on Starz. Also saw Bottle Rocket on there for the first time, tho I actually liked that a fair bit, less obnoxious.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I dont watch anything seth green's in as a principle but yeah broken flowers was great (another Starz watch)...just so many dope songs
Still gotta get around to Only Lovers Left Alive.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh no that was just a poorly structured response to their other post about...a movie apparently called "Changeland". Very cool.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The French Dispatch is Wes Anderson at the peak of his style, just effortlessly showing off his filmmaking talent. Also excellent cast of course...
But, I found most of the New Yorker-rear end characters and plots pretty tedious, well-worn...all these tired trite cliche ruminations on art/1968/etc. It's no surprise that the one part with any heart is Wes just having Jeffrey Wright basically play James Baldwin. It's hard to go wrong there, it's the least creative work Wes has to expend, the one with the least of his fingerprints, and not coincidentally it's the best part. it's the only part with any staying power or resonance (tilda swinton/adrien brody/edward norton were silly fun at least).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
If anyone has Arrow (doing a free trial), definitely definitely watch The Legend of the Stardust Brothers. Shades of Rocky Horror, Popstar, Hausu, Happiness of the Katakuris, with dashes of David Lynch and Monty Python. Just incredibly charming, silly, slapdash (the main antagonist is essentially a robot David Bowie created by the Japanese government to pacify teens with 80s pop) with a banger soundtrack.

quote:

In 1985, Macoto Tezka (son of the great manga artist Osamu Tezuka) met musician and TV personality Haruo Chicada who had made a soundtrack to a movie which didn’t actually exist: The Legend of the Stardust Brothers. At the time Macoto was just 22 years old, a film-student with many short experimental films under his belt, but yet to make a feature-debut and of course had the pressure of the TEZUKA name. With Chicada as producer, Tezka then adapted this “fake soundtrack” into the real movie story of “The Stardust Brothers”.
With inspiration from “Phantom of the Paradise” and “Rocky Horror Picture Show”, Tezuka assembled a cast of some of Japan’s most famous musicians of the time, including such greats as Kiyohiko Ozaki, ISSAY, Sunplaza Nakano and Hiroshi Takano, alongside many famous names in Manga such as Monkey Punch (Lupin the 3rd), Shinji Nagashima (Hanaichi Monme), Yosuke Takahashi (Mugen Shinsi) and even many upcoming film directors of the time such as Kiyoshi Kurosawa (Tokyo Sonata) and Daihachi Yoshida (The Kirishima Thing). The resulting film “The Legend of the Stardust Brothers” is the exact definition of a cult film. Despite the huge array of talent on board with a large budget, the film is totally unknown even to this day in both Japan and worldwide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqdJF0o9LPg

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 24, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's time to bring back Crossballs

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

Autofocus is on The Roku Channel (which has been quietly getting good content.

If you've never seen it, definitely check it out. It's a Paul Schrader directed movie starring Greg Kinnear and Willem Dafoe. It's the true life story of Bob Crane (Kinnear) of Hogan's Heroes fame and his 'friend' John Carpenter (not that John Carpenter). I don't want to say more so as not to spoil anything.
Thanks for the tip, been meaning to rewatch this for years.

Saw Drag Me to Hell on Hulu and honestly I wish it had more Raimi ridiculousness and stupidity. It's almost enough. You've got that Evil Dead DNA, it's very nearly just flat out horror comedy, grotesque and hilarious and straight up Looney Tunes...but it's also kinda just trying to be a 2009 horror movie and that's the stuff that makes it kinda snoozy and basic when it isnt working. It's kind of just okay.
Also having Justin Long in your movie Drag Me to Hell and not having him tortured, harmed, or dragged to hell...that should be a crime.

Speaking of Paul Schrader, Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters is on the criterion channel and it's as gorgeous and fantastic as ever. His best film maybe.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 31, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm sorry but no movie on earth is better and more perfect than Darkman

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly so many classic Darkman moments. Him flying from the explosion kills me every time.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Bone Tomahawk was...honestly just kinda okay. Like a mediocre-ish genre film. but also racist as gently caress. Sorry that triggers you, white boy. :shrug:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Seriously tho for a film that brutal it was also incredibly forgettable. But naturally it's also in the sweetspot of "what lame rear end goons loved in 2015"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I am an antagonist rear end in a top hat tbh. I dont think media with problematic content is inherently worthless or bad tho, or that people are "bad" who consume them, I just think the "toxic" parts need to be recognized with open eyes. And I get annoyed when people get defensive about that.

Now Vibes on Amazon Prime. Extremely problematic to kill Peter Falk in any situation, esp when he's the funniest part of an otherwise mid "comedy central rerun movie you watch while hungover on a sunday afternoon"