Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Found some relatively up to date streaming market share statistics: https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/report-hbo-max-gained-2-marketshare-with-netflix-down-2-in-q4-2021/

HBOMax is winning big. Netflix plummeted with a brief rescue in the early fall likely by Squid Game. Amazon Prime Video seems to be following in the same footsteps as Netflix. Disney/Hulu stagnates. AppleTV+ is gaining probably due to Ted Lasso and iPhone 13 launch. Paramount Plus made big gains in December but can't see if it stuck.

If I subscribe to Paramount+ through Amazon Prime because I need to indoctrinate my children on old Star Trek and don't want yet another app to manage--whose stats am I adding to? Prime, Paramount, or is there some double-dipping involved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Thanks to everyone who mentioned Undone a while back. That was a real...experience.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

After weeks of watching it off and on I've finally seen all of Community. I watched S1 and like....half of S2 when it was new and then fell off, so it was mostly new to me. I heard it got real bad, which is true, but I was surprised by how much it salvages itself in the end. Here's a quick capsule review:

Season 1: The best the show will ever be. Dan Harmon trying to push the edges out of a what a sitcom is without breaking the narrative entirely. Chevy Chase is funny and not overtly miserable on screen. Ken Jeong is well used. John Oliver is a character for a few episodes! John Michael Higgins is pretty good!

Season 2: Still good, but starting to veer into more gimmick episodes than normal ones. The joke about how they don't know how to use Ken Jeong is funny but the Shirley's baby throughline is feels both too sitcom-wacky but also too old fashioned somehow. A very begrudging paintball sequence seems to warn of dark days ahead...

Season 3: Bad. They go all in on a Doctor Who parody that loses it luster real quickly. There's an extremely involved Ken Jeong plotline about him taking over the school that sucks. All the characters are 500% wackier. For every good episode there's two bad ones.

Season 4: Roughly as bad as the last season, but made worse by everything feeling slightly off because they fired Dan Harmon and the new writers never quite found the right mix of self-loathing and lighthearted. Even more Doctor Who parody. Troy and Abed's lovable antics become an unreliable crutch. The dark timeline hallucination episode is the nadir of the series. Something something Changnesia.

Season 5: Its a weird transitional season (not just because Donald Glover and Chevy Chase leave but because they had to center the plot on why they would still be in college after they graduated last season) but is still a sharp improvement over S3-4. The addition of Jonathan Banks works surprisingly well, possibly because Dan Harmon came back to prove he could do it out of spite. They even bring back John Oliver after several years absent to give him characterization and an ending, which is kind of nice.

Season 6: A more refined S5, with Keith David and Paget Brewster joining (and Yvette Nicole Brown and Jonathan Banks leaving) to make a surprisingly solid new ensemble cast. Hits some high notes I didn't think was possible post-S1, and ends as well as it possibly could. Slightly amazed he pulled it off.

Ready for that movie. I was hoping for some momentum after the cast did that YouTube script reading together early COVID. I've not given up hope.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I liked the Munsters. It's main problem is that its audience is in a past decade.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
This really is the dark ages of streaming video.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Apocalypto is one my favorite movies and I had no idea that anyone was reading the ending as anything but ominous in tone. The protagonist literally turns and heads a different direction once he sees the Spanish ships and missionaries.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

PBS has a streaming service, which is mostly free. It's $5/month for the whole thing, though.

Thanks to the support of viewers like you.

PBS Passport has actually been a really great help in my attempt to put more non-fiction into my children's television time and slow down the attention bombardment. Kids eat up stuff like Nova and Nature and Rick Steve's more than you'd think.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I mean, they basically just did that maneuver with a bunch of other HBO shows.

Although, if they wanted to just delete the second half of the Watchmen series, I'd have no emotional reaction over that.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I keep getting surprised by the weird variety of niche films you can find on Tubi, and adblockers allow for an easy skip of any commercials. But it does leave me a little ill at ease to feel like I'm supporting Fox Corporation in some way.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Yeah, you're right. My little bit that makes me feel better is always checking Kanopy and Hoopla for a movie before streaming elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Y'all have some real opinions on P&R. Mine is that it was a great show, especially for its context. You have to remember that the show aired immediately after The Office, and while The Office grew darker and more jaded and just plain ole mean towards the end, P&R contrasted by drifting in the opposite direction--becoming warm and friendly and uplifting as a sort of antidote.