Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Free Guy feels like it was written by a machine.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Of all possible complaints about West Side Story, "Spielberg didn't try" is a weird one. The lens flares and color grading were annoying but the composition and general energy Spielberg brought helped elevate this movie.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Glottis posted:

West Side Story (the new one) is the most interesting and best possible version of that story, while keeping the original songs, that I can imagine. I still think the songs are hokey as gently caress, and dancing gang members will never make sense, but if you just accept those things and try to enjoy everything else it's pretty great. Some fun shots, sets, and a few pretty decent acting performances.

My main complaint is the Maria actress looking, and actually being, like 8-9 years younger than everyone else. It was distracting and odd.

All of those teen hoodlums had pretty tall foreheads.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
West Side Story is good but the Gee Officer Krupke scene seemed beyond superfluous. Does it actually add anything to the story?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FishBowlRobot posted:

I just finished binging the series (first watch). I liked it less as it went on but there were always things to enjoy.
Walton Goggins as a young Baby Billy stole the show, even though they tried so hard to make Boyd unlikeable in the final season. Sam Elliot, Jeff Fahey, and Mary Steenburgen were nice additions and I was glad that the ending left both Boyd and Raylan alive. Wynn Duffy, too.

Just started Banshee based on thread mentions and it’s a fun watch so far.

If anything, Baby Billy is an old Boyd (except not really because they're not actually that similar).

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I'm glad I didn't watch Drive My Car in theaters. I had to take a break in the middle after the fifth scene of them rehearsing that play. It's good, but time does not fly by.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gives me Pollack's The Yakuza vibes, which is great cause that movie's great.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

precision posted:

It's kind of crazy though, if you went back in time and told me "hey yeah, the douchebag in Waiting? Gonna be one of the biggest stars in the country when he's in his 40s"

Was that before or after he got buff?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's very reductive to boil Everything Everywhere All At Once and RRR down to movies about "the Asian experience."

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 21, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There are two white female characters in the movie and one is the worst person in the entire movie.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It is pretty weird that she's in the final freeze frame.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 22, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Papercut posted:

But it doesn't matter anyway because there are infinite other Wanda's out there, if this one is dead you can just hop to another universe and grab another.

People keep saying this but the appeal of the MCU is that people have invested years into the story and characters. I don't see people just rolling with it if they start Beerfesting characters.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Papercut posted:

I'm not sure I agree, or at least not sure Disney agrees, based on the way Christine was used in this movie

Nobody cares about Christine.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I think the truly disheartening thing was how little "Raimi" it felt like really came across. I guess it's naive to have expected a soul of any kind, but I mean, Taiki and Gunn kiiiinda come across with their contributions to the boring 3 hour long punchman genre.
I really wish Raimi's latest film in nearly a decade had been, well, actually a Sam Raimi movie. Seems like a waste.

Raimi hasn't made a Raimi film in 13 years. That guy is probably gone.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

The only reason to ever watch his Oz movie is so you can then listen to the recent Blank Check podcast episode about it. It is an astonishingly bad film.

A nine year break after Oz makes sense.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The kids are annoying MacGuffins, which makes Wanda come off like a hysterical woman.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Papercut posted:

It's the dramatization on HBO, I didn't know anything about the case before that but just assumed the show was based on a real story. In terms of his guilt the show goes back and forth throughout, showing different possible scenarios, mostly hinting at his innocence for most of it, but then pulling the he's guilty twist at the end

So it wasn't an owl?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mystes posted:

On the other hand Pixar is now putting out stuff like Lightyear which is like if a Disney Junior cartoon was given a completely insane budget

It feels like Pixar is trying to find who they can get new to fit into the machine. It used to be that the same four guys directed everything and Docter's only one still around.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Predator didn't know how its own targeting system worked?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's my own fault for watching a Predator sequel, but the most fun and compelling parts for me were like The Revenant/Northman rear end historical poo poo with them dealing with vile French trappers and hunting bears and just the setting and environment, and then eventually she's just like delivering generic lines and sliding around fighting a big goofy alien man but again what did I expect anyway.

It was interesting at first when it seemed like the Predator was working its way up the food chain but then it started meleeing the trappers and the movie got very generic.

It's also funny how the Predator fights humans. I'm not a hunter but I'd think that if what you're hunting attacks you, you call it a day and go home. You don't fight it to the death.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There was also also a loser Predator in Predators. Next time they want to change things up in this franchise, they should make the Predator competent.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Besides Predators, with its different tribes or whatever, has this series actually developed the Predator as character? Seems like a lot of headcannon.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The actor playing the Predator should've punched out a real bear.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Upsidads posted:

I forgot how bad omen 2 was and last time I saw it was pan and scan vhs

The theme rules though.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

pumped up for school posted:

I'm enjoying Slow Horses.

My internal thread title for: For All Mankind: Why am I still watching this show?

Seconding Slow Horses.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

I loved it and am fully prepared to be angry when Bernthal does not get an Emmy nom but they could have cut everything with the federal prosecutors and the consent decree and it would have been a lot better. It really didn't feel like those scenes fit the show at all and almost seemed like they were shot for a different show

Emmy nominations came out a month ago. He didn't get one.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

The Edward Norton Hulk and first Captain America felt like movies genuinely made by someone who wasn't just trying to make Iron Man lite :colbert:

The first two Thors also felt like that but they're both pretty bad so eh

After the first Avengers is when it all started to feel truly homogeneous with Iron Man 3 being the last gasp of feeling like a director had any actual control over the movie he was directing

The Avengers came out a decade ago. At this point, saying that every movie in a long-running series full of meet ups and cross overs has a similar tone isn't a valid criticism.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

How many of them had all the action scenes pre-rendered before they even hired a director, gotta be at least 75%

I'm pretty sure it's in the nineties.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

They literally fired Edgar Wright from Ant Man for trying to make it an Edgar Wright movie lol

They fired Wright cause he wanted to make a standalone film. The idea that they fired Wright for wanting to make a "Wright movie" comes from Wright himself.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why would any up-and-coming creator ever choose to work with WB/HBO after this poo poo? You’re kneecapping your future creative slate by loving over all these projects just to save a few bucks in the short term.

HBO mostly waits for creators to establish themselves elsewhere before bringing them in.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mystes posted:

I'm sure established creators are also happy to have their projects suddenly cancelled mid-way through due to dumb corporate politics

Has that happened to anyone yet?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
No offense to Paul Dini but the 500th Scooby Doo animated movie doesn't really count.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Batgirl?

I mean more like Nathan Fielder and Adam McKay, who built up a certain level of clout before HBO threw money at them.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

forest spirit posted:

Did Brolin elevate the entire production at all? The one thing I keep reading is that it's his first time on TV in over 20 years (feigned gasp)

Do people act like Brolin is some classic movie star? His career between Goonies and Grindhouse is incredibly whatever.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Class Warcraft posted:

I watched the first couple seasons of Barry with my wife. I like all the hitman stuff, but the amateur acting parts are so cringey that I couldn't handle it anymore and bailed.

Barry does require a certain tolerance for Hollywood in-joking.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Two international films nominated for Best Picture but not RRR? Shame. Same with Emma Thompson not getting nominated. She was great in Good Luck to You, Leo Grande.

Top Gun getting nominated for best screenplay is great though. Good to see McQuarrie get recognized as a great action writer.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Krakowski plays a Lakota character on Kimmy Schmidt.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Shageletic posted:

When did Community start making Britta funny? I think that's when the show peaked

The "I have to go. I just won a contest for being hot," line followed by her getting shot down seemed like when they figured her out.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Deadite posted:

The episode of Community they chose to remove was odd because in season 4 there is an episode where Pierce paints his hands as racist puppets. I'm not sure how they decided Chang pretending to be an elf was worse than the old racist character being racist.

A lot of Pierce's character felt like an excuse to make offensive jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Jolo posted:

Toni Collette is a powerhouse. It's unfortunate that horror is often not seen as worthy of accolades as drama. Mia Goth puts in an excellent performance in Pearl but it's in the wrong genre of movie to get recognized.

Also, do yourself a favor once you've seen X and Pearl and look up an interview with Mia Goth to hear her normal speaking voice. My jaw dropped like it did the first time I heard Idris Elba speaking after only knowing him as Stringer Bell from The Wire.

Feels like there's one performance per year from a horror movie that is really good and gets completely neglected. Elizabeth Moss in Invisible Man and Lupita Nyong'o in Us jump to mind.