Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
It's hard to talk about it without sounding like a pretentious rear end, but the Criterion Channel really is great. I agree with the observation that its lack of algorithm-based recommendations is very welcome. Just in the last few months, the old Robert Mitchum flicks that I've seen (Cape Fear, Night of the Hunter, Out of the Past) have been worth the cost. I will say that they do the Disney Vault poo poo where they constantly cycle content in and out of availability, which is annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

precision posted:

yeah imo Nightmare Alley is god tier... probably my fave of his movies

i'm finally watcing Munich and uh... its rough.

What? Munich kicks rear end. Okay yes the sex scene at the end is very over the top but generally speaking I love it. That part where Eric bana goes nuts and slices up his hotel room looking for a bomb is great stuff

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

I tried to watch tenet today and yeah no

tenet is honestly mind-boggling in its badness lol. i love discussing it

one point that i've mentioned in the past that i cannot get over is how after the big action scene at the end, rpats explains some more details of the overarching time-traveling plot and describes his role in it, finally answering some of the questions that john david washington has had from the beginning, as well as cementing the bromance that has been developing between the two characters throughout the whole movie. except nolan decided to film this crucial piece of dialogue with the two characters 100 feet apart, shouting at each other across a rubble-strewn field as they walk away from each other

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i watched episode 1 of stranger things. waaaay too many characters. i had to laugh when they spent 40 minutes catching everybody up on what all of the pre-existing characters were doing, then they introduced this brand new eddie character. i didn't remember that max and lucas were a thing. hell, i couldn't even remember lucas's name (this probably makes me racist). the whole jonathan-nancy plotline is soooo boring and has gone absolutely nowhere for the entire show.

i liked the directing in the basketball scene. it wasn't anything groundbreaking but it takes talent to direct a sports scene well. winona ryder is still great. i like any kind of content with secret squirrel scp-type organizations studying paranormal phenomenon, so i liked the opening scene, content warning and all.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
westworld season 4 is extremely bad so far but i'm still watching it

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
breaking bad is pretty great but it did rely a lot on cliffhangers and mysteries that don't hit as hard on the rewatch. probably the most egregious example is all of the cold opens in season 2, where you see all of the wreckage and debris in walt's driveway. it's heavily implied to be due to some sort of big shootout or blowup due to walt's meth cooking, but it turns out to be wreckage from the airplane crash, which makes it all pointless once you know the reveal

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
The Menu was ostensibly about the art world and the negative aspects of selling out and such (and they basically explicitly spell this out in conversation between Ralph Fiennes and ATJ) but the message is fairly muddled, e.g. how John Leguizamo's assistant's sin was just going to Brown with no student loans.

What the heck was the bit about Ralph Fiennes sexually harassing his sous chef? That was a pretty heavy detail to include in the middle with no real follow-up. He mentions that he was "a monster" and his final menu is his way of atoning but it was pretty offensive imo to use a detail like that as a random bit of backstory

I actually thought the movie looked great and a lot of the more traditional suspense scenes like the fake Coast Guard guy showing up were well-done and had a lot of tension; the movie would've probably worked better for me as a more straightforward Panic Room-style thriller rather than a half-hearted social commentary

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
In the latest episode of The Last of Us, it seems like Ellie and Sam bond by having Ellie read a comic book to Sam with funny voices. Did I miss something here? 1. He can't hear anything 2. We know he can read because he can write messages on his drawing pad

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
It is kind of strange that they moved the date of the outbreak in The Last of Us to 2003 so that the show would take place in 2023, thus necessitating careful anachronism checking, when iirc the original game had the outbreak in 2013 and the game takes place in the future. Did they just not want to bother with any questions about how the earth would look different in 2043 what with climate change and all that? Did they not want any characters going "wow this fungal outbreak reminds me of covid?" I feel like all of these could be easily written around/ignored.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I watched part 2 of season 4 of You on Netflix. I actually liked how it raised the stakes from part 1 and I always like any time they break out the glass cages but the writers should be fuckin ashamed of themselves for doing a completely straight take on a Tyler Durden split personality, complete with Joe symbolically killing his split personality via suicide attempt. This poo poo was played out when they did it in House MD

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I'm afraid I was quite disappointed in White House plumbers. I really wanted to like it since I love all the details around the watergate scandal, but the writing is as lazy as it gets and they spend way too much time on E. Howard Hunt's stupid kids. For some reason, Woody Harrelson does his whole performance with a Christian Bale Batman voice. I still have one episode left so idk maybe they turn it around

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
The opening scene in Hong Kong is soooo good but the palace sections in India are way too slow. And it's been said a million times, but the racism really is quite distracting

A lot of people don't like Kate capshaw's performance but I actually think it's quite hilarious and it works for the whole movie

The part where Indy gets brainwashed was way too scary for me as a kid

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
The Netflix all quiet on the western front ending was ridiculous. It was honestly like a 30 rock bit or something. Just a complete misunderstanding of what the story is about

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
we need the chris rock "bullet control" bit but for film stock. 100 feet of film should cost ten million dollars. "ah man i'd shoot this pointless flanagan monologue if i could afford it"

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I'd have more faith in AI upscaling if every AI project released so far wasn't a horrible scam that doesn't work

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
All of the giant ships and missiles and stuff in villeneuve's dune looked fuckin rad. Unfortunately there was very little of this in the movie, and a lot of time was spent on the arrakis interiors, which were very bland. The soldiers also just looked like an army of master chief clones

Also I prefer the classic triple jawed sandworms to the new kind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I dunno who needs to hear it, but there's nothing wrong with getting free poo poo from Amazon, and if you hadn't talked to the support person, they would've gotten paid the same amount and they would've had to deal with some other rear end in a top hat customer during the same time period