Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Tokelau All Star posted:

We had elderly relatives staying with us for the last week so we started watching Great British Bake-Off, and you know what, it's loving great.

I love it so much. It's nice having a competition show that completely avoids the reality TV stereotypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Terrible title I had to look up right now but....Munich – The Edge of War was a fun movie. I was afraid it would be bad because the central plot of leaking Hitlers invasion plans fundamentally doesn't matter considering, yknow, but they were self aware enough to have that be the point. Ended up being a fairly tight spy movie about reconnecting with the people you love.

Might be my favorite depiction of Chamberlain too. Jeremy Irons kills it

Worth a watch on a Sunday afternoon/10

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Inspector Hound posted:

I finally watched Don't Look Up, it was really good. I wonder if people who didn't like it felt like it was a scold, or were frustrated that whichever character didn't perfectly line up with whichever political figure they thought they were meant to represent. "You're going to be eaten by a 'bronteroc.' We don't know what it means!" made me laugh every time I thought of it for the next day, and had a perfect payoff.

0/10 too realistic

I think the movie came across as smug due to being didactic and lecturing while also not offering any solutions or hope. Just a stupid nihilistic "wow these people are dumb tv watchers who will kill us all".

It was funny in parts, but every time I found myself laughing I found myself annoyed at how cardboard all the characters who weren't our perfectly intelligent protags were portrayed. Just a complete lack of humanity for anyone who wasn't on "our" side. Just wasn't interesting. You could have an obviously selfish character who still has understandable humanity but there was no interest in that kind of nuance.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Hate to break it to you but this is basically reality.

No it's not, but that's a comforting fiction we tell ourselves when humans, with all of their feelings and principles and motivations and loved ones and favorite hobbies and favorite brand of snack foods (you know, their essential humanities) commit horrible selfish acts.

It's much more compelling to me when movies reflect this fact and don't instead pretend that the other side are horrible monstrous orcs.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Orcs would be preferable since you'd be able to see them and know to immediately not care about their hobbies as they actively thwart justice and any progress toward scaling back the worst excesses of humanity.

That'd be fine and totally serviceable when talking about politicians and those with the levers of power but the movie in question is equally about that as it is a boomer fart about individuals and their drat tiktoks and TV shows.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The movie is not about "dumb sheeple" it is about a ruling elite incapable of navigating avoidable catastrophe because doing so would mildly compromise their positions of absolute comfort. Instead they get high on their own supply by imagining up obviously doomed "smart and nuanced" solutions that coincidentally change nothing systemically.

But it is. The name of the movie is partially premised on "dumb sheeple". It is saying that all these people who aren't our beautiful and smart and unique Cassandra protagonists care so much about mass media and their phones, they "don't look up" from their distractions until it's too late and it's right in their face. The ruling elite use that catchphrase and the dumb sheeple buy into it passively or actively until the comet is right above them.

The end message is pure nihilism and has no hope for mass people's movements to make change (yeah I get it guys Bernie lost but cmon). I just think that position sucks, and any catharsis I had during the other parts was spoiled by that reactionary boomer poo poo.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Glottis posted:

Listening to the Always Sunny Podcast and it's hilarious how much they fuckin hate S1. You can feel their relief once they get to S2 and start enjoying the episodes.

the podcast is especially great, because despite the writers clearly playing characters, you can really tell how much of themselves they write into their characters. the podcast is like listening to considerably less horrible versions of charlie and mac and dennis bullshit and argue.

they hated S1 so much two of the S1 recaps are "how to park correctly" and "would you get in a fist fight at in-n-out in front of your kids" respectively.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

was hunting for my white whale--a 90 minute action movie--and came across "The One" starring Jet Li. I remember it being critically dumped on, but I watched it, and it was incredibly fun. might be a bit of nostalgia for a time when you could get away with playing Papa Roach over a fight montage, but I was having a great time the entire way through. probably not quite "due for a reappraisal" but it was great schlock that never felt too long.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Coaaab posted:

What have been your gold standards for this?

I think the best recent examples are for sure The Raid or Dredd. If we're talking mid 2000's schlock, I genuinely think The One might be up there after watching it but Crank is also fair shout. If you want something schlocky but self-aware Shaolin Soccer is absolutely wonderful.

Something so imminently wonderful about a quick jolt of action in light of the modern 2 hour action slog.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I am nobody's bitch. You are mine

:swoon:

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 22, 2022

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I guess I gotta watch Equilibrium next if it's on streaming.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

mcmagic posted:

God. Mrs Maisel season 3 is a complete bore. No stakes nothing interesting happens. They have no idea where to go with these characters Should’ve been one and done.

I liked some moments (the NY boho communists made me laugh) but I literally booed my screen at the ending. So many interesting and unique angles have taken with Shy's story, and they just...didn't. nah let's just let the increasingly unsympathetic main character out him as a gay man at the Apollo theatre then spin it like Shy was the unreasonable dick

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

nonathlon posted:

So many comedies fall into that trap, thinking the audience wants to know more about the characters, introducing plot arcs. Actually, it might be easier to name those that don't become a bit soapy - Always Sunny?

The fact that Sunny managed to have the most emotionally affecting coming out as gay to your dad(s) scene I've ever seen on a major network, but never lost the shows essential spirit of being rude as hell... truly incredible.

It's all about the authenticity baby.

A MIRACLE posted:

also watching The One

PRESIDENT GORE lol

:haibrow:

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 16, 2022

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

isaboo posted:

It's been a minute since I've seen it, but I remember liking Ryan Reynolds in Buried. Not great, not terrible.

he carried the gimmick pretty well. a bad actor woulda sunk that movie for sure. imagine being trapped in a box with Chris Pratt or something yeesh.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I feel like I shouldn't have enjoyed the first episode of Maisel as much as I did. I hope they keep far away from anything resembling social issues this season before they poo poo the bed more with braindead. Keep it a fluffy goofy upper west side pastiche please because that was fun again.

.... they will gently caress it up I'm sure.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I have a brand new very nice Samsung TV and Hulu struggles to work. It's just a dogshit app.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

if anyone is looking for a nice little microbudget atmosphere/tone piece, Vast of Night was pretty wonderful. Felt closer to a radioplay then a movie, but the camera-work and editing was gorgeous.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

I watched it a couple years back and remember being very impressed by the lead played by Jake Horowitz.

Both young actors are pretty great. Jake Horowitz had just the right amount of insecurity thrown in with his 2cool4everyone persona to really sell it. Sierra McCormick looked like she actually learned how to use an old-fashioned switchboard for her part, and it really pays off at the start of the mystery. The way she confidently juggled calls like a real operator was super cool.

CelticPredator posted:

It might be one of my favorite alien movies of all time. It fully delivered on the feeling I felt when I watching alien documentaries in the middle of the night as a little kid.

:yeah:

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 29, 2022

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

precision posted:

The Prestige, Insomnia and Memento were probably ghost directed by his brother or something, for how much better they are then his other films

It is striking how much more subtle and more lightly written those movies are. I think you are absolutely right.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

That was such a disappointing movie. All I wanted was Drive 2: Bangkok Drift. And come on that would've been awesome.

it was sick as gently caress, but you gotta be used to Refn's other movies. it ends on the psychotic Twin Peaks-esque antagonist singing a really beautiful Thai karaoke song and ties up the movie perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP4gS9fxOAU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Field Mousepad posted:

I hope you're right because she's such a good character. But she never showed up in breaking bad so I don't have a good feeling about it.

BCS is essentially "breaking good", so the ultimate breaking good would be her escaping Saul's self destruction.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

She Hulk starts August 17 on Disney Plus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gim2kprjL50

Looks fun, but the CG She Hulk is looking a little uncanny valley

Jesus that looks terrible.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

precision posted:

more films should have intermissions. i can't really think of many movies that don't have a point where you could stop and say "okay let's all pee so we can actually enjoy the last reel"

I really wished The Northman had an intermission. there were natural moments in the story to cut and allow the audience to absorb what they just saw.

retvrn to walking to the lobby to drink a cocktail and talk to your friends.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

I ducking love Darjeeling limited

I love every Wes Anderson :colbert:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

even better, return to the 90 minute action movie

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Arrested Development still hurts me

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

first stranger things episode was...kinda sick? evil dead by way of satanic panic is my kind of nostalgia bait.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I wish they had separated the norm special from the q+a. wish it coulda ended with the mic drop. woulda been nice to sit with my thoughts for a while.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

FishBowlRobot posted:

I have to watch this soon. Alone, definitely. I saw a screenshot and he didn’t look well, so I’m likely to cry at some point.

being face to face with him, seeing his eyes twinkle despite it all, is quite the experience. I don't know how you could not tear up.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

precision posted:

i don't wanna do a whole big tangent, but i definitely don't find that kind of late-stage capitalist hellblogging "innocuous"

in fact, people thinking that stuff is innocuous and not unhealthy is one of the main things that's so bad about it!

i don't know how to explain the difference, to me, between something like Folding Ideas or Jenny Nicholson and Sarah Z, all i know is that the former seem fine to me while the latter sorts are way too... terminally internetted or something

like, as an illustration, it feels like sarah zed is the sort of person who spends all day reading twitter and saying things like "oh god, i hate twitter so much", it feels like she might be the sort of person for whom media addiction is a real thing

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Archive 81 was pretty good :shobon:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

bit out of left field but Uncut Gems was the most profoundly anxious and stressed out I've ever been watching a movie. living life through the eyes of a degenerate gambler is pretty horrific.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Yes Uncut Gems is exactly the type of thing I am looking for. Have seen that one though.

have you seen Good Time also by the Safdie Brothers? Similar thesis, only more crime focused.

e. drat,

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 3, 2022

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

it's the best successor to Gladiator ever made

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Peaky Blinders really went out with a banger of a season. I can't wait for the movie.

did it stop feeling like a 2015 jamesons commercial? the random artic monkey type needledrops drove me nuts.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

precision posted:

i was not paying attention at all when i put Spiderhead on, i was playing a game, and about 30 minutes in i was like "wait hold on, what the hell is this about?"

it's a fine hangover movie though

more mids imo

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

RRR goes straight Triumph of the Will at the end, huh.

movie whips but holy poo poo.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

yeah it's propaganda as gently caress for most of its runtime but goes all out in the final song
Like Wolf Warrior tho I'm willing to take a certain amount of nationalism if it's in the name of overcoming white devils and/or kicking the poo poo out of British soldiers
I loved how absolutely anime villain ridiculous so many of the white characters in RRR are (except Jenny who manages to completely avoid any culpability in child kidnapping)...like, the scenery chewing Governor (who filled almost every room of his castle with TNT, very smart) being a ridiculously skilled marksman, or his cartoonishly evil child-stealing sadist wife who carries her own extra-mutilating torture whip :lol:

the villain jump-scouting and landing on his knees out his loving flipping car had me pumping my fists.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I don't see any way to read this other than either "mothers shouldn't value their kids if they're boring, blonde, and white" or "I don't value kid lives if they're boring, blonde, and white" and either way....yuck. I hope I'm wrong.

lmao what

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

is anyone else feeling more or less lukewarm on The Bear? it's a pretty good hangout show and I'm enjoying lounging while soaking in the show...but it's so nothing. Beyond a few sketchy outlines, I feel like I know absolutely nothing about any of the characters.

Chicago deserves a better show :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ruddiger posted:

We've already been blessed with Southside.

But yeah, The Bear is just extremely okay. Too many cartoonish caricatures, it definitely feels like an outsider's perception of Chicago.

I am getting a lot of entertainment thinking about having a sous chef at a italian beef joint

e. southside might be next. I'm living in the city itself and the vistas of chicago are still making me pine