Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Have films ever been made with ad breaks, or is this a potential new Rubicon that we could be crossing with ad supported streaming tiers?

Typically the pipeline for a film to be aired on, say, free TV, would involve the films are edited into single units, which then have their airing rights sold to a chanel, which then re edits them into ad breaks. Or, at least, that's my experience of it.

But with the way streaming works, are we gonna see more, or possible all non-theatrically released films, come with built-in ad breaks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Films have been made with intermissions.

Oh yeah, I get that. I went to see 2001: A Space Opera a year or two back, and they did the full intermission with an organ player popping up out of the stage, it was loving sick.

But there were usually, what, one of these a film? -- because I'm not talking intermissions here. I'm talking, specifically, about ad breaks. i.e. the things that became 25 - 33% of every televised hour on free-to-air.

Television "solved" the problem of advertising by writing episodes with rigid act structures designed to retain audiences beyond the three to whatever minutes the ad break was for -- and, now I think about it, the main structural element that would separate out a made for TV movie vs a a theatrically released one was that the former were also written around ad breaks. And it's an obviously restrictive format, leading to restrictions on pacing and set-piece design, problems surrounding audiences retaining information, narratives becoming beholden to the interests of advertisers, etc. etc. etc.

My concern is that we're moving towards a place where movies are going to be made primarily with ad breaks in mind, just like television was, because films are going to primarily be released as streaming supported by advertising i.e. that they're effectively going to inherit the same problems that ad supported television struggled with.

Like, I get that the current conversation around streaming is that "we're moving back to cable", but I suspect the long term ramifications are fundamentally worse.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

Season 2 continues to be amazing, with the exception of one plotline which was embarrassingly bad, to the point where I'm surprised they brought the character back for season 3.

They're bringing both the characters back.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Papercut posted:

I watched the first episode of P-Valley after The Guardian posted a glowing review of the show. It was pretty good, impressively serious and well-done for a show that's ostensibly about a strip club.

Yeah it's a fantastic show. The plotting is above average, but the dialogue is what impressed me (and not in the sense that it's made of a bunch of super quotable pithy lines, like a lot of people mean when they talk about good dialogue, but more in the sense that it's vibrant and characterful and informative without being declarative... a lot of television has very mediocre scripting).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

Does Resident Evil eventually acquire any decrepit charm or cheesiness, scares, otherworldliness, genuine menace, or anything at all to recommend it to anyone

It's good, but not consistently good, if you enjoy camp -- there's usually at least one subplot every episode that straight up leans into being bananas, like the cat lady subplot in episode... three? I think? Or pretty much anything Paula Nunez / late season Lance Reddick does on screen.

If it got a second season, or was one of those older shows where they were producing longer seasons and could adjust the tone based on audience reactions, then I think it'd probably have settled into being something a bit like Gotham, but I don't think it's going to be renewed.

But it's one of those grognard fandom shows, where anything that suggests the source text is stupid (and let's not pretend, Resident Evil is loving stupid) is immediately overwhelmed with weird reactionary discourse about disrespecting the original text.

Basically, what I'm saying, is that it needed more bits like that zootopia line that's been floating around, not fewer.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

raven77 posted:

Someone mentioned a show named High Maintenance in this or another thread, and it sounded interesting, so I started it. It's on HBOMax, each episode is 30 minutes, and there's four seasons. The only constant is the main character, The Guy, played by Ben Sinclair. (He also co-created the show.) The Guy spends his days bicycling around New York City, until he gets a phone call asking him to "hang out" with one of his clients, and it's soon revealed that he's a pot dealer. It's a peek into so many lives, as he goes in and out of them. It's sometimes funny, sometimes sad, but always touching. There are two problems with the show: a) it made me wish that I lived in NYC, because every episode is fascinating, and b) it's only 4 seasons, so I'll be very sad when it's over.

I've not yet watched them, but it might be an idea to track down the (six!) web series once you're done with the HBO series.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Class Warcraft posted:

Yeah I really dislike this new tv show trend where they do this. I feel like it's an attempt to recreate what GoT did, except forgetting that Game of Thrones really just started with two plotlines - Starks vs. Lannisters & and Dani's slave adventures and then branched out from there after establishing the main conflict.

Rings of Power immediately starts off with like 4-5 unconnected plot lines and its boring as hell because we're just stuck waiting for them to start interacting with each other.

Yeah, it's also the plot structure of The Lord Of The Rings as well, and the structure they roughly lashed the Hobbit onto, but the show's jumped straight to The Two Towers.

It's all really badly motivated tbh -- by the end of the show's first episode it's not clear how the subplots affect each other, or even why we should care about each of them beyond some vague thematic promise. Worse, the next two episodes spent their time generating more subplots, and it's not clear how these affect each other on a thematic level, or if some of them are going to meet up, or what we should expect when (if?) they do. It's just a bunch of disconnected stuff happening on screen, based around a generic promise of doing More Lord Of The Rings.

It's not just fantasy shows either, which generally get away on the dint that it creates a broader scale to the setting (even though I think it sucks). A lot of shows, particularly in their second or third seasons, end up running out of things for their actors to do, so they just stick them in a bunch of parallel subplots with the vague promise that they'll eventually meet up. So that's how you'll have a show about a kung fu master fighting ancient demons for 60% of an episode's run time, and then another 20% dedicated to a business going under thanks to covid, and another 20% dedicated to subplots involving a character trying to secure coders for their new financial venture. It's absolute garbage tier structure. I've been calling it "subplot hell".

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Field Mousepad posted:

Whichever one where they're in the insane asylum is still my favorite. I wanna say it's the second or third one .

But yeah check them out regardless.

Yeah that sounds like the second one. The first half, the insane asylum half, is probably the weaker part. The second half is loving rad as all poo poo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

I actually watched the first three episodes today (I signed up for a free week trial of AMC + to watch the final season of Better Call Saul, and despite advertising it as one of the shows to watch on the platform, apparently they actually don't have the show)

While you've got the service -- if you've still got the service -- check out Moonhaven and Pantheon. Both pretty cool, under the radar, sci-fi shows that I've been really enjoying.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Once-relevant and now unceasingly lovely cultural criticism outlet the AV Club just put out a thing about The Midnight Club. I haven't seen the show, so I'm not qualified to speak about their take on it. I do hate them very, very, very much. However, I enjoy the term "Flanaverse". So my feelings about the piece are a mixed bag.

Yeah, I've seen the full show, and that piece was kind of a nothing tbh. Plus there are grammatical, structural and vocab errors throughout, but the by-line is just embarrassing in a written publication.

The AV Club posted:

Mike Flanagan's string of hit series, including his latest gem The Midnight Club, provide chills and thrills while rarely resorting to tropes

Ah yes. :airquote: tropes :airquote:

But that's what happens with management nickels and dimes, and anyone with any real vision is pushed out.

FWIW I liked the show. It could absolutely have done with an editor, but it's willing to go for different tones within each of its substories, and has fun with its stuff. Many of the stories-within-stories are as much a commentary on writing, and frequently kinda suck on purpose -- e.g. using Mary Sues, or belaboring the point in the way their characters would do -- something the show mines for both comedy and dramatic characterisation. Plus, they're enjoyably flexible with tone. loving loved the comedy noir episode, it looked gorgeous and everyone clearly had a lot of fun.

The weakness is in the show's connective narrative, which is slow and very obvious. It also ends on a cliffhanger, which marked a frustrating lack of development in its overall narrative. But, at the same time, I liked the characters, and it made me cry. Some of it was genuinely powerful. But it's not up on the level of Midnight Mass / the best parts of Hill House. It's mostly on the level of most of Hill House, IMO. A lot, lot better than the second one though, the Turning of the Screw adaptation.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Re: Avenue 5 the problem isn't the travel itself, so much as it's the money and resources involved. Iris stole the shuttle in the most recent episode, she was nooot meant to take that thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
John From Cincinnati owned.

Westworld deserved to be cancelled after season two.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The Modern Leper posted:

Bojack, Kimmy Schmidt (known quantities)
Ms. Dynamite (maybe little watched)
American Vandal Season 1 (maybe the best pure comedy they've put out)
Grace and Frankie (YMMV, but there are a lot of good actors with a lot of great chemistry)

Kimmy Schmidt, their funniest comedy IMO, was an acquisition. They didn't make the first season, they just bought it when NBC dropped it.

Same thing's happening with the upcoming third season of Girls5Eva, lmfao.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nonathlon posted:

Conversely has a strange slightly artificial sense of Englishness too. It's full of country manors and lords and pubs and 'ere I'm just a cockney right. It felt like Dr Who in places.

Yeah, it's a bit twee and kitsch; it's the kind of UK you sell to foreigners.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Black Lighter posted:

Hey, like I said before, I have no particular issue with the show itself, and I don't have any problem believing that it's good and well-made. This whole tangent started because someone said they were suspicious of all the praise it was getting for being kids' stuff finally taken seriously, and I related it to the way Marvel promoted similar arguments to help them grind everything into content. All I've been saying is that its place within that kind of brand management strategy makes it less appealing and interesting to me, even if it's good.

Similarly, I don't really have anything against fantasy settings in and of themselves. They do make works less immediately relevant just by dint of taking place at a considerable remove from our reality, but that's not even an inherently bad thing, because there are way more criteria by which you can judge or enjoy a work than just immediate relevance - it's not really that big a deal.

To me, it only becomes an issue in a context when it's the almost the only thing mainstream studios produce and promote, because the fantasy settings of Star Wars or the MCU or any of the franchises are part and parcel of the brand management. It allows the studios to sand away any sense of cultural specificity and create shows and movies that don't reflect anything about the world in which they're produced except in the most tangential ways, while trademarking every stray bit of scenery for merchandise. So, to me, a show made within that framework - even one that kicks and pushes against and tries to subvert it - is inherently less interesting than something that takes place in our world. It's not that I think fantasy settings themselves somehow render a show or movie invalid; it's that the way fantasy settings are used in the current media landscape do a lot to diminish even quality work. Like I said, Andor might be a really well-made show; but its position within the IP mill makes it a lot less interesting to me,

Yeah, I think this speaks to an issue I've been having for several years now; to what end does it serve to talk about issues like social inequality, gender violence, etc. in a purely fictitious universe, like say, the Game of Thrones universe, that wouldn't be better served by talking about those issues in our present reality?

Not that there isn't some obvious worth here, and Andor / Thrones / etc. are obviously further along the continuum of IP Does Issues than "I only understood Auschwitz when Rainbow Sparkle was photishopped into the death camp photoes" (or when Wonder Woman was, loving laffo), but it strikes me as, I dunno, a little varnished. A little bit of a way of helping the audience distance themselves from the issues at play.

There'a something very funny about grown adults are having very serious conversations about the chronological history and politics of Targaryians and the Palpatines with the sort of fascination and eye for real politik that would traditionally be reserved for real world issues. Maybe I'm just -- for want of a better term -- aging out of this kind of discussion, I dunno. I certainly have, and still am, guilty of this thing I'm critiquing. Or perhaps more guilty in my ambivalence, I dunno.

I have watched a lot of Star Wars Andor, but I'm also watching a lot of Babylon Berlin, and the latter strikes me as doing pretty much everything Andor does, but only better. And I think part of that is because it's operating in the real world, and talking about real world political parties, movements and concerns. There's not metaphorical abstraction at play (except when there is; there's still magical realism going on here).

It perhaps the blockbuster trappings are an unfortunate reality of trying to talk about real world issues in a way that appeals to the mass market?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 9, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SCheeseman posted:

That you're somehow only on the cusp of understanding one of the core ideas behind sci-fi and fantasy, that it's used as a soft allegory to real world politics and sociological issues so as to explore them without stepping on peoples toes, is pretty amazing. Star Trek was explicitly open about doing exactly this and it's from the 60s.

I mean, I'm not.

My point is (or, tbh, one of my points is) that, for me personally, I'm beginning to find diminishing returns in a certain kind of fan interaction that I engage with and a certain kind of metaphor that I interact with, and yet I still find myself interacting with them anyway.

That said, I can see why my point wouldn't come across, my post was kludged together pretty badly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I love fiction, I don't think that's going to change. I think there's just a frustrating distantiation effect when it comes to some forms of fiction that makes it easier to disavow the political content and therefore makes it harder to make the jump between the metaphor and the real world. The fantasy element makes the message easier to communicate, but I think something is also traded off in the wholesale packaging of the message in a completely fictional context.

To what degree that affects the thesis, and to what degree that it's a problem, is going to differ from person to person (for me, in the case of Andor, a little and not really, respectively), but I think it's ultimately functionally, definitionally, true that metaphor acts to distance the point of discourse slightly further from reality than it would otherwise be.

Like I said before, I think this is why Babylon Berlin (which is pulpy magical realist historical fiction) works better for me as an examination of fascism than Andor (pulpy epic science fiction/fantasy) does. Not that Andor is a bad show, at all, but the conversations it opens -- including ones i find interesting and motivating -- can sometimes just be issues that seem to only relevant in terms of how they resonate with the IP.

Again, I'm not saying Andor is bad, or that fiction is bad, or that science fiction is bad, or pulp is bad. I'm just sympathetic to Black Lighter's point about the slightly deadening effect of packaging these messages within IP.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 9, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh man oh man I loving loved The OA. I love the way it played the silly twist -- if the twist you're thinking about is the same one I'm thinking about -- completely straight; it's a great subversive choice and a clever way to end the first season.

The second season was great too, though I think it might have been slightly lesser. That cut to the opening credits, during the first season, was so sudden and strange it brought me to actual tears the first time I saw it, I can't explain why, and the second season doesn't have anything near that level. (But very little does tbh.)

They've got a new show coming, I think it's been completely filmed and has a killer cast, but it seems to be wrapped up in whatever is going on over at Paramount so who knows when it'll actually air.

Papercut posted:

You're the sad guy on the dark side of the bus obsessing about the particulars of global capitalism as it relates to art, and the rest of us are happily on the sunny side of the bus enjoying the shows that are good.

FWIW, I'm both of these people, and I think it's possible to be both someone who enjoys a show like Andor -- that's me -- and someone who'd like to talk about wider trends in pop culture through a critical lens -- that's also me.

I also think that Black Lighter really was trying to engage with good faith and wasn't here to dunk on people or their opinions, but then the situation escalated and that possibility went out the window. But, honestly, I think it's time to drop this and move on.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 10, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Keyser_Soze posted:

Francis (Syril from Andor) is also cool as a cousin of Ross.

Everyone in the show is basically a dumbass except those two.

Francis' hat is not convincing me otherwise.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That dick in The White Lotus was prosthetic. Doesnt count.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I was saying that if you liked Cosmopolis even though it had artificial and novelistic dialogue because it was coming out of the mouth of robotic rich ghouls, that might not be any help for White Noise, which still has artificial and novelistic dialogue but this time it's not coming out of the mouth of robotic rich ghouls but middle class children.

The film's talking about a sort of eighties death drive, isn't it? Soulless consumerism, branded medication, car crashes, etc. etc. So the dialogue makes sense if it's trying to evoke that sense of alienation.

I've only watched ten minutes of the film before I got busy suddenly, but it reminds me of stuff like Peter Carey's Bliss, which was doing the same sort of thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh yeah, the subtitles for Copenhagen Cowboy were dogshit.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oh mate thanks for this; no one else had said anything and they're so so obnoxious. At one point the subtitles were insisting I was hearing [English] and it was blatantly just not.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

8k+ people on letterboxd seem to disagree with you

I think this would be more compelling if literally a single person in the film was eaten.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Starks posted:

Just got a fresh apple+ trial. What’s the gooncensus on Servant? Any good? I generally enjoy Shaymalans stuff but not sure how involved he actually is, IME big name directors attached to TV shows is just marketing.

Servant's great. There's a bunch of cool formal constraints in the way it's filmed, mainly the way they limit the camera set ups almost exclusively to the house and the narrow band of street immediately outside the house. The second season amps up the comedy too, and Lauren Ambrose's performance is tight as hell.

Shaymalan's heavily involved in the directing, but not so much the writing as I understand it. Jury's out as to how well it'll end, but I've got a good vibe.

theflyingexecutive posted:

See is a never ending series of "why did you do that?" Entertaining and beautiful as hell, but I'm a few eps into season 2 and finding the weird dialects and vocabulary are morphing into more contemporary dialog.

The last two seasons had a new showrunner, I don't think they're quite as interesting.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

frogbs posted:

I like Shrinking well enough, but it feels to me like the moment Harrison Ford signed up they completely rewrote all the scripts at the last minute to give him more screen time. All the meetings he has with the girl in the park, the many scenes where he's talking to someone on the phone. It all feels like it was added later or something. It makes everything feel disjointed.

Apple's current commissioning process requires a star to be attached to any project they commission -- Severance has Ben Stiller, Servant has Shylaman, a lot of other shows have actors like Hiddelson, Tom Holland, Rose Byrne, etc. Even if Ford wasn't attached at the start (unlikely, there are stories about Apple refusing to take a meeting unless there's a name attached to a project already, but maybe they'd take one off the back of Ted Lasso?) they would have expected a role carved out for a name star in the pitch. So there was always the expectation that someone famous would be attached to the project.

I reckon they just filmed his poo poo separately to a lot of the rest of the cast because covid.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

You get multiple Sharltos with Hardcore Henry too. Think it's on Netflix, def recommend. Stupid movie but entertaining ala Crank, had a real ball seeing it in theaters. The best videogame movie, though it's not based on an actual game.

Hardcore Henry is a real blast. Great lads night film.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I rewatched Party Down last week in anticipation of the new episodes coming and there's a lot of "you're gay!" humor and one episode has a whole plot of a college quarterback getting skipped in the NFL draft because there are rumors that he's gay. I assume the new ones won't have any of that, at least I hope so.

That subplot's a critique of homophobia in organised sports, that ends on a darkly satirical rainbow capitalism bit. I wouldn't say it's homophobic.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

frogbs posted:

Am I going crazy, didn’t Party Down already come back once? Wasn’t there a movie or something?

Edit: it’s possible I’m confusing it with Veronica Mars…

There was a Veronica Mars movie and a fourth season of the show

BUT

there's also a Childrens Hospital episode that features the characters (for about thirty seconds).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Upsidads posted:

Screenplay or his rear end acts in it

Then we've also got to count Sons Of Anarchy. :ohdear:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

They also did that thing where the network cared so little about it they have the big season finale as the second to last episode and the final episode is just a random case.

I don't recall this at all tbh. Which episode? Because it's definitely not the first season finale, that's got a big villain confrontation and everything.

There was a lot of funky poo poo throughout though -- Fringe was a show that had an awful lot of network interference, often for the worse. They write in a character that was meant to replace the lead, but then decide they don't want to do that and just drop the character very early into Season Two. There's an episode towards the end of Season Two that was originally meant to air super early on in the season, and its new context renders it completely inexplicable as a result. One finale is a complete hail mary plot that never gets resolved; the following season just acts like it never happened (though they reuse the concept for a different plotline later on in the show). One of the regulars talked somewhere about how she'd never do a show like it again because she felt so undeserved by the scripts. etc. etc. etc. Lots of dumb stuff, basically.

That said, there are some decent episodes throughout, though there's never really the string of quality standalones equivalent to the stuff that The X-Files managed to regularly knock out (except... maybe early season three?). And I found that Anna Torv's performance as Olivia really grew on me. It's not a super complex show, but it's fun enough if you want to turn your brain off for a while.

Inspector Hound posted:

It's charming if you can get into it. See if you can spot the hidden observers!

Yeah, this, basically.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Is there anyone who gives a poo poo that a Chris Rock comedy special is live instead of prerecorded?

I love live productions. I know that laugh track sitcoms always involved a significant bit of fakery, but I love the way older shows will have bits where one person in the audience starts chuckling ahead of everyone else, or will have a completely separate reaction to the rest of the group, or where you'll see actors work with/against the crowd rather than just simulate the effect.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nonathlon posted:

Have caught up with Taboo and unsure whether it's good or so-bad-it's-good:

* Tom Hardy stalks around getting into fights and scowling at people, threatening them in a strange accent
* Every character being super intense or horny or both
* Every faction somehow having access to secret knowledge so that there's a continuous stream of "How do you know that?" "I have my sources"
* Scenes full of poo poo and mud
* And so many people and factions scheming and plotting against each other

And then everyone dies at the end.

I suspect it was a bad show, because I wasn't super entertained a lot of the time, and the ultimate destination wasn't a strong one, but it was a mood so I unno.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

It's not porn, it's the 'cock.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

It seems that Peacock is quickly starting to make more interesting television than parent network NBC has made since Parks and Rec and The Good Place went off the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIOnrEujKl8

A new show from Damon Lindelof (Lost, The Leftovers, The Watchmen) about a nun (played by
Betty Gilpin) who is tasked by an AI to go on a globe-trotting quest in search of the Holy Grail.

What does Damon Lindelof have against Australia, and how can he be stopped?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hello Tomorrow has gorgeous dialogue. It took a few episodes to get there for me, but I've fallen into a groove with it and now I really, really enjoy it. There are scenes here and there that feel like they've wandered out of Avenue 5, and others like they're out of Mad Men. I really want it to work its grove out and be excellent in everything it does, but in terms of casting, characterization and language it's created a really interesting, peculiar world.

My favourite characters are the psychopathic grifter couple who genuinely think they're neither of those things. There's also a really cute mismatched romantic couple on the villain's side that I've grown to weirdly root for. It's become a genuinely good show, IMO.

Shrinking had a really good episode a few weeks ago, and then I just stopped watching it. I'll get back to it soon, but it's way more of a drama than a comedy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Glottis posted:

For anyone else that finished Hello Tomorrow!, was it at all jarring to anyone else that not only is a character's hand brutally disintegrated in a toaster, but they functionally send an entire cabin of people off to their deaths at the end? I thought the inciting incident in episode 1 of the truck backing into whatsherface was weirdly more violent than everything else, but it kinda jumped up in that area.

I think the rocket situation is a bit more complicated. It was mostly unintentional, Karolina from Succession seems to think they'll eventually get back to Earth after a long period of cutting through red tape, while the others seem to think they'll be able to get them back earlier. The finale(?) also mentions moon mines, so I suspect they're more likely to get forced into slavery. Which isn't good, at all, but it's not straight up death.

If the show gets renewed, they'll definitely follow through on the rocket characters, with the characters on earth attempting to get them back.

Both of the rocket and the hand plots are the show trying to make a karmic point about the idiocy of magical thinking, and letting yourself be exploited by your own magical thinking. e.g. the slaseman who loses a hand has a whole "system" for his gambling, that's ultimately just an imaginary safety net that grants his risk taking actions an undeserved legitimacy, and anyone who got on that rocket was ignoring multiple warning signs -- and even an explicit safety precautions re: the jackets -- to pursue an unlikely dream. They wanted to be fooled.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There have been villains who use iPhones, though the only one that's coming to mind right now is Amanda Seyfried's version of Elizabeth Holmes in that Hulu show she did.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Justified is a fun show that really finds its legs in Season Two. The second through to the fourth seasons are straight up excellent, funny noir television with tight and surprising plotting, plenty of really good standalone mysteries plus ongoing poo poo. And the first season has plenty of good episodes too.

The fifth and sixth seasons are huge duds when it comes to the ongoing mystery, both way overplotted and far too in love with characters whose use-by dates were long past. I really fell out of love with the show around then, and never finished the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Any show that doesn't find its legs until the second season ain't worth your time yall, rapture won't be long.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Walter Goggins is also in The Crow: Salvation, and I recommend yall find salvation before you watch x seasons of justified and find out its "pretty okay"

I think I'm using that phrase differently to how you use that phrase. But if you read back what I said, I think it's pretty clear that I watched while I was enjoying it, really enjoyed some of it and stopped when I wasn't enjoying it anymore. Is that so unreasonable?

Disposable Scud posted:

Why are there two shows about Candy Montgomery?

True crime is a cash cow, and sometimes things just randomly line up like that because two independent groups both have metrics to think they'll sell.

I liked the Hulu version a lot, but I like most of what Nick Antosca does and that's why I checked it out.