Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I highly recommend Criterion Channel and Arrow.

Criterion Channel is a fantastic service at $10.99 a month, and it's probably the service I use the most frequently. It's just so free of the things I don't really care about with other streaming services like there's no algorithms or prestige TV seasons every week. It's just dedicated wholly to film and provided as close to a curated experience one can have with a streaming service. It's got a wide selection of classic films from all over the world, and it feels like there's always something that's new to discover. If you're the kind of person that puts on a movie like once a day, I think this service is pretty essential and an excellent resource if you want to delve deeper into film.

https://www.criterionchannel.com/

Personal Highlights: Showa Era Godzilla, Arthouse Animation, Kurosawa, House

Arrow uses the same kind of layout and curation experience that Criterion Channel uses, but their selection tends to be more focused on cult classics than high art films. Not that Criterion Channel films are all stuffy high art movies, but Arrow offers a wide variety of horror, giallo, yakuza, spaghetti westerns, Shaw Brothers. It's a very good complimentary service to Criterion Channel due to the fact that the offerings tend to be not the kind of thing that Criterion Channel would normally put up on ther service. The selection is smaller, but you can free trial for like a month and it's just $5 a month otherwise.

https://www.arrow-player.com/browse

Personal Highlights: Heisei Gamera, Audition, Red Angel, Society, Daimajin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You also can just not subscribe to services if you don't want them, and it's not a battle to cancel the subscription.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jaded Burnout posted:

Thanks for this almost-OP suggestion, I've been getting some decent value out of the criterion service and might also sign up to Arrow. BTW the "layout and curation experience" you're talking about is VHX, a whitelabel video hosting platform by Vimeo. If (for pure hypothetical) someone is having trouble with geo VPN usage with one of these services, it may be because you've used a VHX-hosted service in your home country already, and they've squirrelled something into your browser to track you. Use private browsing or another browser if that happens to you, like it definitely didn't happen to me.

An actual question though. It seems to me that Criterion's service is focused on what they consider to be Socially Important films (or at least cinematographically interesting). The words "abstract" and "dreamlike" are in half of the discriptions, and fully half of the library is foreign-language dramas. This is fine when you're in the mood.

You suggested Arrow as complementary, but that seems to be a different flavour of the same thing, i.e. it's focused on Culturally Important films perhaps more than whether the film stands up as entertaining on its own. (this is based just on your description to be fair)

What I would love is a service which has decent-or-better quality films that aren't emotionally moving dramas or Vampire Zombie Guts 4. Like if you took all the films with an IMDB score between 7 and 8.5, and had a decent number of them, not the amazon or netflix approach of 12 decent films floating in a sea of poo poo.

Is there something like that? I'd love to have a good, legal resource for when I just want to see Harrison Ford throw someone off a plane, or whatever.

I missed this post while I was taking a break from the internet.

The way I see it is that while Criterion generally offers more "serious" fare (I do think there's an argument to be made that a lot of what people consider high brow arthouse isn't all that super serious), Arrow generally offers more "fun" genre films that are pretty well respected. Criterion has Godzilla while Arrow has Gamera.

Part of my view as a film fan is that appreciating film as an art form sorta requires viewing the craft of something like a Heisei Gamera with the same sort of respect that one would give something like The Seventh Seal. They're very different films, but they're both excellent films that I think all film fans should check them out.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Has anyone watched that ILM docuseries that's on Disney+?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Weavered posted:

Not seen Light and Magic but I found The Imagineering Story to be great hangover TV.

I watched that when it first came out. It's a fun look at everything, although it felt a bit fluffy.

And then I watched the newer one they did by Toys That Made Us guys and Imagineering Story looked like Thin Blue Line by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Finished the first season of The Witcher. Show seems to be a bit rough, but Henry Cavill is fun in the role.