Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Edward Mass posted:

Yeah, Search Party is a trip.

It went in a very stupid direction.

Ozark s4 is out though. Questions may be answered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

punk rebel ecks posted:

Okay, I'll definitely make a super review post.

Wow didn't realize that. Apparently the blackface is "brownface" as Dee portrays a Latina. I'm Latino so this will be interesting.

No it's actual blackface. They made a series of parody/sequels of Lethal Weapon and traded off doing blackface to play Murtaugh.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

smackfu posted:

I think it was okay but I don’t remember Upload being especially funny.

They did go with some "jokes" about the commercialization of the afterlife, the dead kid wanting to be a dead grown up and the relationship between dead guy and live gf but ultimately they fall flat against the horribleness of it all.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

A MIRACLE posted:

is billions worth watching? I just want some giamatti in my life. help me thread

You should watch John Adams.

Billions is what those other posters said. A sickeningly sweet love letter to the super wealthy Metallica fans out there. Giamatti plays Pig Vomit as a BDSM sub who tries to nail Damien for rich people crime and looks like an rear end doing it.

Wretched show.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Nihonniboku posted:

So, Kimi, that's the actor who played Buzz in Home Alone

cool guy
https://people.com/crime/home-alone-devin-ratray-arrested-after-allegedly-trying-to-strangle-girlfriend/

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Nihonniboku posted:

I finally watched the original last night on HBO Max. I feel like I should like it because it's supposed to be a classic, but I didn't like it. The brownface was distracting, and I didn't care for the extended dance sequences, or the performances.

That sounds like a real boomer nostalgia kick. Gonna take a pass on this as well.

Now for my nostalgia purposes the 90s grrl power rock in Yellow Jackets is just killing it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
That trailer (like every trailer) is kind of spoilery. I mean I get it's the premise but I feel like it's more fun to just cold start it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Nihonniboku posted:

Shrug, I thought Bridge of Spies was a dull dad movie, but to each their own. I haven't seen War of the Worlds since it came out, but I think Tom Cruise fatigue has skewed my memory of it. Munich I know I saw, but don't really remember too well.

I think The BFG and Ready Player One have definitely caused him to fall out of favor with me.

Tintin was great. Shame they're not making the next one.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Enos Cabell posted:

I haven't cared for the other Ryan Reynolds Netflix movies I've seen, but The Adam Project was a whole lot of fun.

I felt like it was very much in the vein of a couple moldy oldies I adored as a kid. Last Starfighter, Flight of the Navigator and maybe D.A.R.Y.L. And should be taken about as seriously.

"Mind the G-forces, kid-me!"

*kid doesn't have so much as a lap belt*

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

drat what is up with the music choices in The Adam Project??

People really love that Guardians of the Galaxy tape mix.

Allegedly.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Just finished the fifth and, I believe, best so far episode of Pam & Tommy. It's good but it's definitely a huge bummer.

Holy poo poo Semi-Charmed Life over the end credits, wow.

Is there a lot of drug content? RE that spoiler.

e: watched all of After Beth and loved it. It starts out with so much cringe it was hard to get through but I love Schumer's wry humor.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Wretched human beings one and all.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
The terrorist skit was horrifying.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Martman posted:

I wonder if it portrays Marilyn having sex with JFK and that's like, an automatic no-no zone or something

Maybe they show her doing a lot of enemas.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Junkie Disease posted:

It draaaaaaaged

Well I loved it.

You kind of need to build up to something like that, even if it is a foregone conclusion.

Didn't need a second season though.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

CelticPredator posted:

Really good cgi.

I was so confused.

I thought they had used age make-up on him the rest of the time.

:corsair:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I found Archive 81 mildly spooky and the protagonist's situation very compelling and relatable.

I also remember liking Rosemary's Baby.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mcmagic posted:

The production values on the new Halo show compare relatively unfavorably to late 1990s era Sci Fi channel shows.

Considering that they made good shows of LoL and Witcher and something truly sublime from Castlevania it is very fitting that I'm not going to watch Halo any more than I play it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

Severance is so goddamn good

Crazy good.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

She's v pretty.

So's Gina Carano!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I haven't seen all of these, but many people vouch for Patriot, The Underground Railroad, Mozart in the Jungle, Too Old To Die Young, Homecoming, and Undone.

Too Old to Die Young is wretched, afaict. Not even familiar with those others.

Sneaky Pete was good. Goliath rules. Man in the High Castle is a show. Utopia was an unnecessary remake of a good show. Everyone talked about The Boys. Reload is okay.

And LotRs is coming up and probably going to suck but is at least a notable future project.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

Severance is like Devs but with a really bizarre quirkiness. in a bizarre way the tone is kind of like, the dark mirror world version of Wes Anderson

the music party scene in particular

The music dance experience had me wailing and gnashing my teeth

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

veni veni veni posted:

Better call Saul is stressful to watch not because of the cartel poo poo, but because it’s like watching this dude who won the jackpot in the girlfriend lottery almost ruin it every week because he is a weirdo

Yeah.

In a different but similar way that Uncut Gems stressed me out.

Just watching people make a series of bad decisions with inevitable results and realizing you're cheering for the show/movie to not do what you know it's going to do to the character.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Tune in later to see how my cliffhanger boycott goes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlcmdx3MF6I

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Bananaquiter posted:

I am 1.5 seasons into For All Mankind and no one has hosed on the moon yet so I am note sure I can recommend it at this point.

Get it together, Gordo.

That show.

I'm eagerly anticipating more seasons of it.

It's so visceral. Like First Man.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BisterdDave posted:

That movie was the first time I felt uncomfortable sitting in the theater reclining seats after the 2 hour mark. It definitely feels more like a "watch on your own time and possibly installments" movie.

For me it was the first Hobbit movie.

I just felt old my rear end was sore from some bad theater seats.

Meanwhile back in the oughts I literally sat on the floor next to my friend who was in a wheelchair and there was no handicapped seating so I watched Return of the King against the back wall. And I liked it.

The Batman, I was like I like this movie but please end soon. Text me the ending.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

thiccabod posted:

Colin Farrell's make-up was incredible. Even knowing he was the Penguin I couldn't really recognize him, if that makes any sense.

Love the Penguin. Didn't make me feel like oh he should be DeVito at all.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Wolfsheim posted:

What's the point of anything

The Batman is not real lol

I think you mean Vengeance.

They're rebranding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTz686tTN0Y

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Also I love that some lame rear end streamer made a tube about as long as the movie taking down Ben Shapiro's bat-takes.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

veni veni veni posted:

Ben Shapiro had takes on the Batman?Lol

I can’t even think of anything in that movie that would piss off chuds, but I guess they’ll always find something. They mad that Gordon is black or something? Hahaha

Batman is an SJW now.

His relationship with Cat Woman is totally legit though because he doesn't get her wet.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Batman mostly supports the troops and the cops (the good apples 😏) and has little sympathy for the hard choices of poor people "selling out for money". But I guess chuds will always find something to whine about. Catwoman mentioned white people exist!!!!!

The Batman was good because he saved Catwoman from using the gun.

Or the boot.

He is the White Knight.

not being sarcastic

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Field Mousepad posted:

It happens in like 3 seconds, you could blink and miss it.

That was a high stress scene, if you missed it you were pissing out the Mt Dew after a long struggle.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The Wayne family did 9/11

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The Modern Leper posted:

Watching Johnny Mnemonic (on Netflix) for the first time. What a wild effort to do a straight faced live-action anime.

Wikipedia says they were forced to both hire and create a character for Dolph Lundgren. I've never read the original story, but cutting around his parts I could see how this might have been planned as a smaller genre exercise on... I dunno, the battle between selfishness and self-sacrifice. Like a version of Total Recall where they didn't have the budget for a full "Blue Sky on Mars" adventure and instead doubled down on the narrative themes.

It doesn't take long to read Burning Chrome.

It also shouldn't take away from your enjoyment.

Unfortunately this exists.

https://williamgibson.fandom.com/wiki/New_Rose_Hotel?msclkid=a3fb8f15c11711ec984bd3d28fde4bd3

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Unfortunately? I consider New Rose Hotel is one of the greatest cyberpunk short stories ever, what's unfortunate about that?

I've actually never seen it.

I just know someone who likes Burning Chrome and doesn't like that movie.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

i like Fargo S3 as much as the first two seasons, but it is definitely the most weird one. tonally it's pretty Lynchian imo

That’s the one with Ray Wise right?

So yeah, Lynchian af.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Chemtrailologist posted:

Yes, this is the thing that every single Youtube film critic brings up like its incisive commentary.

Also everyone who’s ever seen it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BisterdDave posted:

Yeah, it was nowhere near as good as I was expecting. Tom Cruise is such a goober in it too.

*snaps teeth at you*

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

A MIRACLE posted:

I remember it being brutal cannibal poo poo but yea otherwise forgettable and I definitely watched it because I saw it recommended on this website lmao

What I remember was Conan gushing unprompted about it to homeboy during an interview to promote Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and then I watched it and it was gross.

It sucks to get treated like a side of beef while still alive and conscious but it makes you think about where your burgs come from too, like Cloud Atlas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Been steadily moving through Gamorra, which makes the Sopranos look like a frolic through the flowers by comparison. Def worth a watch if you can stomach an unflinching portrayal of mafia culture in the slums of Naples.

I hated pretty much every character in Sopranos save the kids and that one woman.

Who got whacked in her gabagool.

I prefer ZeroZeroZero for my Italy fix.