Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I really didn't care much for Search Party Season 4. Honestly, it's been a bit of a decline since Season 2 for me. But I'm starting Season 5 now and I'm excited to see where it's going to go!

Edit: It helps somewhat that watching John Reynolds in this never fails to make me think he'd be a great Egon if, God forbid, Ghostbusters got rebooted again.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Sirotan posted:

I watched 50% of the first Suicide Squad movie before I fell asleep and gave up, is the second one required to be able to start watching Peacemaker?

Partway through Peacemaker I went back and watched The Suicide Squad and it didn't fill in anything that the show hadn't already covered in flashback. I would recommend watching the movie first simply because the show would in fact spoil a couple of pretty critical bits, but I'd also say that you shouldn't be turned off of the show if you end up being ambivalent to the film.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

The Modern Leper posted:

Oh, perhaps. I noted it more to distinguish from what appears to be a non-rated version of Nymphomaniac.

I think it might be the same cut, but after the ratings committee gave it an NC-17 von Trier decided to release it as unrated because it changes restrictions on promotion and marketing or something. Now, there are apparently two cuts, though: one that's around four hours total and one that's closer to five, with the latter being more explicit.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Glottis posted:

Black Adam is on HBO Max now. It's, uh, real bad. It feels like The Rock wrote it.

That comment paints the appropriate picture for sure. The character is presented right off the bat as being almost invulnerable other than one weakness that really never gets exploited ever again. Despite repeated comments regarding how everything has changed since his time, he has a near-perfect understanding of idiomatic language, because the writers didn't bother to find a way to differentiate his speech. The ending is completely non-sensical, as the time-criticality that leads to character sacrifice ... is then undermined and retroactively makes the sacrifice idiotic.

Yeah, it was real bad.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Lazy_Liberal posted:

lol, continues to be one of the most watchable kid shows

Oh, Jesus, the episode where Bandit chokes down the terrible food the kids made for Chilli's "date" with him cracks me up every single time.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

watching Chernobyl

I just watched this a week or two ago, absolutely phenomenal.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Tokelau All Star posted:

Latest Rez Dogs was incredible. Now that I have kids, this hit me right in the chest. Devery Jacobs and Ethan Hawke both need Emmys for this. It would have been so easy to just write Elora's dad as some piece of poo poo guy. Instead, we got a real picture of a flawed man who knows he hosed up real bad, knows he can't ever make up for it, and is barely holding it together trying to do better with the kids he does have. I really felt for both him and Elora.

This was masterclass writing and acting. Just real humanity on screen. This season has been fantastic. Give this show all the awards, there's nothing better on TV this year.

Agreed on all counts. The acting in this episode was just phenomenal.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Reservation Dogs is the best show of the 2020's so far, of course it's over. They definitely stuck the landing.

It really was excellent. Great final season, and a beautiful finale. I'm going to miss it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

I just want to say that I appreciate the penultimate example on their page, it really sells it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Upsidads posted:

Fargo season 5
Stuck
The
loving
Landing

And not at all in how I expected.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

watching some alien movies today. watched Alien 3, then Resurrection, now I'm on AVP

Hah, I did some of those a few weeks back. I noticed that *Covenant* showed up on my laptop on Disney+ but on none of my other streaming devices, and I think it's because I have a VPN on my laptop. So if you're having trouble finding it, try a VPN. Weirdly I had it set to United States, but seriously disabling and enabling the VPN made it disappear and then reappear, so I assume that's it. Even when it was saved to my watchlist, it would just up and vanish.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

I don't think I've seen enough of the prereqs to watch it

I read this as "prenups" and thought yeah, making these movies grounds for divorce seems like a good idea.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Nice, in addition to the ads Amazon has gimped streaming quality if you don't pay them more.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Inspector Hound posted:

Which service is actually worth anything? I'm mooching Hulu and prime, but if I paid for one it would probably be Apple

So far the ad-tier Amazon is acceptable -- a brief ad at the beginning of Mr a Mrs Smith -- since I'm paying for Prime anyway. Nothing about their catalog would make me pay for their shows right now.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Inspector Hound posted:

Gravity is leaving Netflix soon. It's a good sci-fi movie with a non-stop plot about coming home from work.

This movie in 3D in a theater was like a 90 minute panic attack. I'm kind of glad I didn't see it in an IMAX theater.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Perestroika posted:

I ended up watching it the first time on a large theater screen more or less by accident and it was good as hell, but also insanely anxiety-inducing. The finale made it all worth it, though.

Inspector Hound posted:

This is definitely one to watch with the lights off, sitting as close as possible to your TV.

It got kind of a bad rap when it was released because the plot is so thin, but honestly I think it had just the right plot to "screaming while hurtling through the void" ratio. I should watch it again to see how it holds up.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
A 4K digital copy of 2001: A Space Odyssey is currently FREE on Amazon right now. (I can't speak for the quality of the transfer or anything as I have not seen it yet, I just picked it up as soon as I saw it and then posted.)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jolo posted:

Maybe they gave away just over 2000 copies for free.

CelticPredator posted:

It is not free

mystes posted:

Well it's not now

As it turns out, Amazon hosed up. They canceled the promotion and subsequently sent out e-mails saying, "Oops, that was a mistake," and retroactively canceled the purchases. This is, near as I can tell, fraud. Their customer service agent has written, "As a one time exception, you can purchase the movie then we will refund it once you are done watching it." This also is unacceptable -- I should not have to wait to watch the movie to get a refund. It also implies that perhaps it is a single viewing (i.e., a rental), which also would violate the contract of the advertised purchase. I am sure I will get nowhere with this, but I'm trying anyway!

Edit: With a lot of argument they agreed to refund my purchase immediately. They clear the chat window the moment they log out and don't allow you to get a log, but what worked was: "There are laws in place regarding disputes on prices posted in error. And the only acceptable outcome is that the purchase be fulfilled on the posted terms. I.e., I purchased a digital copy of a film. So it is acceptable to be to be immediately refunded after a repeat purchase. But it is not acceptable to refund me at some point in the future."

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 28, 2024

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Martman posted:

if it's fraud, the harm to you is basically the time and mouse clicks you spent buying it for 0 dollars. so idk what amazon should have to pay to make up for it, but I support the class action lawsuit
I'm sure they have a clause in the site TOS that allows them to retroactively cancel your access to something, since they do at times remove all online access to streaming content. But traditionally companies have to honor their incorrect price postings -- the harm is not zero dollars, it is "what I would have to pay to have what they agreed to give me," which in this case is just under sixteen dollars after taxes. Regardless, squeaky wheel got greased, I now have my copy of the film.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I honestly don't think I've seen this since ... DVD? And definitely not on anything better than small television speakers. Holy crap. Not that "Kubrick is fantastic" is a controversial take or anything, just that it's amazing to see it like this after so many years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

RCarr posted:

I agree there’s nothing wrong with getting free poo poo from Amazon.

I certainly do not agree with complaining here that you were a victim of fraud because there was a pricing error on the internet.

LOL I openly admit it was a dumb argument and I deserve every bit of ridicule for it. It was borne of "I've been up too long nit to be stupid but I'm too caffeinated to sleep," but that's no excuse, don't post sleep-deprived.