Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Can anyone explain the state of Hulu vs Peacock? Seems like there is currently a lot of overlap, but is all NBC content moving to Peacock eventually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There was talk that Station Eleven was “uplifting” because it showed art surviving in a post-pandemic future but it was still overall pretty grim. Even after everyone gets killed off.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you intentionally make broadly appealing content like Red Notice, of course you are going to promote it to every user of your service.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tokelau All Star posted:

We had elderly relatives staying with us for the last week so we started watching Great British Bake-Off, and you know what, it's loving great.

Wow, did Netflix US lose the earlier seasons of GBBO somehow? Now they only have “Collections 5-9” and none of the BBC ones.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

PBS didn’t start airing the show until BBC s4 so the numbering is confusing. Netflix used to have Collections 1-4 (BBC s4-7) plus a separate Beginnings series (BBC s3). I guess their contract with PBS expired so all those are gone.

https://heresthedish.com/gbbo-vs-gbbs/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think it was okay but I don’t remember Upload being especially funny.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Field Mousepad posted:

Raised by wolves

I’m not even sure I liked Raised By Wolves, that is a hard one to blindly recommend given the weirdness.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Enjoying Reacher through two episodes, although a bit more gory than I expected. Gouging out eyes during a brawl is one thing but long shots of a full frontal bloody crucifixion are a bit much.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’m just a simple man but I do love when Peacemaker name-drops some random superhero with an incredibly stupid name and of course it’s some DC character that’s been around since 1962.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter-Eater_Lad

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I've watched the first two episodes of Murder in Successville and yeah it's literally Murderville before Murderville.

That said the show is much harder to follow and is just "too British" for me. The humor doesn't appeal to me.

Also tried watching the original on YouTube since this thread said it was better and it didn’t do much for me either. Maybe because they were doing impressions of people I’ve never heard of?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lazy_Liberal posted:

you've never heard of lady gaga, taylor swift, jay z, etc.?

Heh, so I looked it up and I thought it was a bad impression of Jimmy and Alan Carr but I guess they are playing themselves. But still barely know who they are.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Amazon has a rom-com named “I Want You Back” with Charlie Day and it starts with two people getting dumped out of nowhere for being complacent in their relationship. Fun date night movie!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, West Side Story is already on Disney+.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

If it wasn't for the Oscar noms, I'd have bet it would've been dumped to Hulu instead.

As, that’s not nice to Hulu. They have Spencer! And Nightmare Alley! And The King’s Man… ok. That list ran out of steam fast.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I know it’s for story reasons in Reacher but that amount of murders in one small town would not stay a small-town investigation. Especially when it’s most of the police force!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

Winning Time, about the Lakers dynasty, on HBO is great. It's Adam McKay so it has a ton of fourth wall but the cast is so insane and they're having so much fun that it doesn't bother me.

Can anyone explain why Jerry Buss was able to buy the Lakers with a check but cash would have been a deal-breaker?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The locations for the Adam Project are extremely attractive and make me want to move to the Pacific Northwest.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It wasn’t streaming anywhere until March 7. It wasn’t included in the standard FX on Hulu deal.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Reminds me, I dropped our plan from the top tier when Netflix did that and haven’t even noticed any difference.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

“I was shot so the jet doesn’t recognize my biometrics so I need my kid self to unlock it.”

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Severance didn't initially hook me, took a few days to watch the first two episodes. I picked it back up yesterday evening and ended up watching the next 5 one after the other. Not sure if they're gonna stick the landing just yet, but I'm really digging it now.

Not to tell you how to post but there is a severance thread with a lot of discussion.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh, from the LA Times review:

quote:

To suffer through this ordeal is not just to not laugh, it's to wonder if you will ever laugh again. It's to find it hard to remember what laughter is, or how it used to feel to do it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Realized I was thinking “Patriot” was a revolutionary war show due to mixing up “The Patriot” with “Turn”.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We finished a rewatch of HIMYM. Had watched it when it was on but hadn’t seen the later seasons. Those are definitely a mixed bag. Barnie wasn’t great when it aired and the character has not aged well at all.

Finale still terrible but the other episodes of the last season better than expected. Could have just stopped an episode earlier and everyone would love that season.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Two episodes in and the Julia show on HBO Max is definitely wife approved. Lots of cute couple moments.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The first of the month used to be a fun time, it used to be when Netflix would add a whole bunch of popular movies to their service. Now the First is as empty and hollow as an endlessly buffering reaplayer video from 2002

HBO still rotates their back catalog on the first of the month although the concept of “rotating the catalog” is itself pretty quaint.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/hbo-max-new-releases-may-2022/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Like here is a sample of “new” May releases on HBO:

47 Ronin, 2013
Assassins, 2020
At Close Range, 1986
An Autumn Afternoon, 1962
The Big Sleep, 1946
Back To School, 1986
Bottle Rocket, 1996

I’d assume they are not actively licensing these movies each month but who knows.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

The Tony Hawk documentary on HBO is really good.

All the grizzled 70s and 80s skateboarders are the highlight.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s just bizarre to have a pay streaming service and also an ad supported one with different original content and no way to pay to get rid of the ads.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There are a lot of Lincoln Lawyer books… is the TV show doing the same one as the movie?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Prime shows me the same commercial for their new Addams Family thing between every episode of shows when I’m binging. How are they so bad at this?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

One of those movies where you just remember the soundtrack and your mind fills in the movie as “good, right?”

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Upsidads posted:

Is hbo outta new movies this year?

They still have Batman promoed as a new movie in June and it was added in April so that seems like a bit of a drought.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

precision posted:

Umbrella Academy s3 is starting off HECKIN strong. the first episode is basically better than all of S2

These two year gaps between seasons are tough. We watched the S2 recap and didn’t remember half of it. So now we either hope S3 makes sense anyway, or watch a longer YouTube recap, or rewatch some or all of S2.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

mcmagic posted:

The Frank Darabont version of The Mist is on netflix again and it's for my money the best adapted Stephen King property ever made.

Reminds me they made a series out of Under the Dome. Was that any good? Looks like it had three seasons somehow and is on Paramount+.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I had literally just seen one of these articles this morning and was baffled on how she could ever be considered for any sort of award; she's fine on the show but not noteworthy in the slightest and mostly plays straight man to Martin and Short. So your explanation cleared a lot of stuff up for me - thanks!

Also there are like a hundred good shows now, I don’t think the concept of snub holds up unless people are literally saying you had the best performance of the year.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Imagine having enough time to actually rewatch anything with the firehose of new shows we have now.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

The ILM docuseries on disney plus is good, but it's interesting how they spend the first several episodes slowly moving from 1977 to 1993, and then they only briefly discuss the Star Wars prequel series, and then suddenly jump forward to The Mandalorian in 2019. I guess they're just looking to avoid talking about how bad CG could be for a long time there.

Yeah, I’m enjoying it. It’s a “serious documentary”, like the Imagineering one. First two episodes are basically about how the New Hope effects were made. Third episode is Empire Strikes Back and that’s all I’ve watched so far.

It’s directed by Lawrence Kasdan which feels like an Easter egg.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Speaking of the ILM doc, almost finished… here’s what they cover in the other episodes.

Episode 4: Return of the Jedi and the various other eighties movies they worked on, not in much depth. CGI starts showing up.
Episode 5: Abyss and T2 and the tensions between the computer people and the model people.
Episode 6: Jurassic Park and the death of traditional FX work. This is pretty sad and I didn’t finish it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apparently Amazon Prime has the rom-coms Marry Me and The Lost City now, which were Peacock / Paramount+ exclusives when they first came out.

This new world is weird.

Also, was pretty surprised that Marry Me is based on a graphic novel since I would have thought someone just wrote the script for J Lo.