Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

House hunters Asia was good and made me nostalgic for the week I spent in KL

I like the countries where foreigners can’t buy property so they need to do 99 year leases.

I consider the foreign House Hunters legit educational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They premiered it at the Toronto film fest last week but it’s not really out until November 4 on the Roku channel whatever that is.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

TIL Reboot on Hulu is not related to the old cartoon.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Rarity posted:

Is this the thread to talk about Netflix's new movie Do Revenge? Actually I don't care I'm going to do it anyway

Thanks for the recommendation. Always hard to find movies with broader appeal. My wife is very smug that she guessed the twist immediately after they said the line about narcissists.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

720p? Is internet media just regressing now? YouTube has also been doing A/B testing on setting people to low res automatically.

The reduction in catalog is something I totally didn’t expect for the cheap tier. How ridiculous.

The $9.99 Netflix basic plan TODAY is still 480p so the ad plan is actually an upgrade. (They are also upgrading the basic plan to 720p too.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

One of the strategies is to heavily discount a yearly subscription and then hope people just pay the full price the next year.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Good documentary if you like Bond music. Even talked about the rejected Radiohead song, which was surprising considering this was obviously endorsed by the Bond producers.

Funny that they didn’t mention Madonna once, unless I missed it.

Also didn’t realize there was a companion concert. Prime Video is really the worst app.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Was watching some classic Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episodes (30 years old!) and the upscaling of those is funky. Some scenes looks like garbage, some look surprisingly crisp.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Somehow they stretched “baking” to include tortillas because they could only think of two Mexican baked goods and the show has three rounds.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We watched the first episode of Columbo and now I want to be Columbo.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Are any of the Netflix original comedies actually funny?

Yes, I am watching their new show right now, why do you ask?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/steve-rannazzisi-explains-lied-911/story?id=34296631

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Project Hail Mary feels like it would be all voiceovers and flashbacks, unless it had a clever screenwriter.

What did The Martian do? Read aloud journal entries?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Huh, PHM has the same screenwriter as The Martian, Lord and Miller as director, and Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone set to star.

That’s a pretty good lineup.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

precision posted:

Okay, Prime is telling me that there's a third Fletch movie, starring Jon Hamm, and I'm like... well in theory that should be fine, but also, I've never heard of it so it prolly sucks

Why is Prime involved, isn’t it a Showtime release? (Of course that’s the one service we don’t have.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah, like how Apple says it is available on Prime, Hulu and Paramount+.

Not super clear on the last one to be honest.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

They occasionally have themed movies based on whatever new stuff they're putting out.

Yeah if you click on the “Included with Apple TV+” tile, it says what the tie-in for each one is.

Currently it is:
1) Will Ferrell and Ryan Reynolds comedies because they just put out a Christmas movie.
2) “International Thrillers” like Argo and Syrians to go with Echo 3, whatever that is.
3) “Workplace Comedy Essentials” like Office Space to go with Mythic Quest S3.
4) Jennifer Lawrence movies cause they just had an original movie starring her.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s interesting that Netflix puts out the holiday bake-off shows a year after they air in the UK.

I guess the UK channel wants to show them on actual Christmas and New Years and Netflix wants them available for the whole season.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Pingiivi posted:

Aren't these limited releases pretty much "we showed them in a theatre, so now it's eligible for Oscar nominations"-things?

It was kind of a wide release for that, 700 theaters. That’s like a typical indie release, just a lot shorter and with no possible expansion.

Maybe it was contractual with Rian Johnson?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s just harder to cancel a movie than disappearing a couple of episodes of a tv show.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, pulling Westworld is breaking the first rule of HBO, that HBO shows will always be available.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Feels so bizarre that the Wednesday dance is all over Tiktok with different music than they used in the show.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

If you like food competition shows, Amazon's Freevee has America's Test Kitchen: The Next Generation. There is nothing original about it in any way whatsoever, Top Chef is the pinnacle of this genre, and HBO's The Big Brunch was better, but ATK: TNG is perfectly adequate to watch.

Wow, I didn't realize Big Brunch was a competition show, I figured it was like one of those "celebrities sit around and talk and eat" things.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Not really heard of it happening with movies from reputable studios though. They sorted out all the music rights back when DVDs got big.

Maybe this one they realized they could penny pinch and remove a song they had already licensed to save money?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Medullah posted:

Just a heads up to anyone who did the AMC+ year deal in December of 2021, I got an email that they renewed my membership for the full amount and due to an error in their system there wasn't any type of heads up that it happened.

Interesting, I got one that said they screwed up the advance notifications and they were extending my year until Feb 2. But didn’t actually charge me.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My mom: “I wanted to watch Knives Out but it wasn’t on Netflix which is weird because the new one is.”

Truth.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I assume the Venn diagram of AAA game players and premiere TV watchers does not completely overlap.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, it’s a bit disorienting if the subs don’t agree with the dubbed English.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It was the first ten minutes of the first episode of a highly anticipated HBO show, you could sell that gig to a bunch of actors.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

(Mindhunter)

ShoogaSlim posted:

i watched season 1 and enjoyed it quite a bit. but then i jumped into sesson 2 and still have like half the season to go. this was months ago. idk if it just started to feel stale or what. i should jump back in and just get it over with

Same here, not sure why I lost interest.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is the Super Bowl on any of the streaming services?

Ten seconds of research makes it seems like it’s only on the cable-like services.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Deadite posted:

I wonder how For All Mankind got the green light. Unless Joel Kinnaman is a bigger star than I realize.

Ronald D. Moore of BSG and Star Trek was the name that got that made.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

mcmagic posted:

It's gotten very expensive and there isn't a bunch of volume of stuff to watch if you have already seen most of the older HBO shows but it's highs are pretty high.

Has it really “gotten very expensive”? Seems like with inflation it’s probably cheaper than it was to add to cable.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s weird old network TV scheduling business. Fox ordered 21 episodes then only gave them 20 timeslots so they made one extra episode but didn’t air it during the first season. Then they aired it randomly halfway through the second season.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The other thing about live sitcoms is that if a joke didn’t get laughs from the real audience, they would rewrite and refilm it on the fly. Pretty good feedback loop.

OTOH, live audiences love slapstick.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Should have warned us about the awful “Livin’ on a Prayer” cover in that trailer.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

From reading the synopsis, I guess the real “twist” is there’s a giant extinction level asteroid coming and we need to get off the planet ASAP

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

Make sure you drop the pivotal brand name from the title, and then paywall 4K behind the highest tier. I am very smart.

Waiting for the email explaining why removing my 4K access is good for me.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

When Netflix raised their prices I downgraded from 4K and it was less money. I showed them! (I think.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s not even listed on the Apple TV+ coming soon yet, and that has Fall stuff so… not coming soon?