Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Did an AppleTV trial for The Tragedy of Macbeth and goddamn is it lacking. The film too sure, but I mean the streaming service. They really really ain't got poo poo. Any recommendations for their tv series? I ain't watching "Ted Lasso" whatever tf.

There's a pro shot recording of the musical Come From Away on there that I can't praise enough. It tells the story of a small community who took in thousands of waylaid travelers after US airspace was closed on 9/11. It's pretty minimalist - small cast, sets that are mostly a bunch of chairs and tables - but the stories they find there are amazing. I'm a cynical bastard but it makes my cold dead heart swell every time. Maybe my favorite musical.

Speaking of musicals, Galavant got added (re-added?) to Hulu. It's a fantasy musical comedy written by Dan Fogelman (Tangled), with music and lyrics by Alan Menken (almost every Disney Renaissance movie) and Glenn Slater (whose resume isn't quite as sparkling, but he worked on School of Rock, among others). It's simple, absurd, lighthearted fun.

The opening number:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWnDwM0RSX4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

ozmunkeh posted:

Does this mean we’re not allowed to watch The League of Gentlemen anymore?

I read this as League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and was deeply confused.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Tokelau All Star posted:

I got a free trial of Paramount Plus to watch the AFCCG. Give me some good stuff to watch on there before I cancel it please.

[Error: File not Found]

Seriously though, Lower Decks and uhhhh...

EDIT: I went to wikipedia to see what I was forgetting and I had no idea this was happening

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

What should I watch next

Oh, also, Galavant on Hulu

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

The Cloudbotherer, surrounded by insane vulgarity, makes me crack up every time.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 4, 2022

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Field Mousepad posted:

Oh hey a show based on a video game! Those always go well :rolleyes:

Oh boy I have good news for you

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1493631216788066310?s=20&t=LNzFcdWcyeMWGI3rR0K0dg

Arcane reset my hopes for these sorts of projects, which is real bad because they're definitely going to be poo poo.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

It was definitely more semen-forward than I recall the rest of the franchise was.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I got a 4K apple TV back when Directv streaming was doing a "sign up for our service for a month and we'll give you one." It's a great device (and obviously it playing with the other apple stuff in the house nicely is a bonus), but if it ever broke I don't think I could stomach paying for a replacement at, what, 2-3x the cost of the equivalent Roku?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I enjoyed Tenet - how can I hate any movie that involves time travel and has someone turn to the camera and say "don't think about it, just feel it" - but I watched it with subtitles knowing that it would be completely undecipherable otherwise. Being intentionally impossible to understand makes a movie bad, I think.

Still probably the best Batman movie. This or Return of the Joker, anyway.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

ymgve posted:

The (uneseen) antagonist's world moves backwards in time, and is on a collision course with our forward moving world, and will be erased once the timelines meet or some poo poo. So to them it's a battle for their world to survive. The bad guy we see is just a pawn and just wants gold. (As far as I recall, it's been a while)

Apart from that, nothing in the movie makes sense once you think about it outside the context of a cool movie scene.

I actually liked this bit with very few reservations. Kenneth Branaugh was trying to bury the macguffin in a dead drop to send it to the future (which is how they had set it up - once you can send things backwards through time, you have two way communication). The macguffin was a device apparently capable of inverting the entire world. It's explicitly said that no one knows what the gently caress that even means, but the future sucks rear end and they're desperate enough to try it, and it probably wouldn't be good for their past/"our" present.

EDIT: I cannot stress this enough, I watched this with subtitles and am quite confident I would never have heard any of that over the inverted shootout car chase it was probably delivered during.

EDIT again changed hte post I was actually responding to

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 1, 2022

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Raimi-chat, The Quick and The Dead is on Netflix, which can't be my favorite of his, but its not because I don't love it to bits. Just a perfect, ridiculous Western.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

teagone posted:

I saw I had a Target Circle offer for 4 months of Apple TV+ and redeemed that, but also had a 3 month offer in my iPhone Apple TV app, and redeeming both stacked the duration lmao. I now have 7 months of free Apple TV+. What should I watch first?

If you're down with stage musicals, I've posted about Come From Away before:

Boxman posted:

There's a pro shot recording of the musical Come From Away on there that I can't praise enough. It tells the story of a small community who took in thousands of waylaid travelers after US airspace was closed on 9/11. It's pretty minimalist - small cast, sets that are mostly a bunch of chairs and tables - but the stories they find there are amazing. I'm a cynical bastard but it makes my cold dead heart swell every time. Maybe my favorite musical.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Medullah posted:

Haha Evil is so loving bizarre. The Angel wormhole was so dumb yet amazing

I just started it, and 6 episodes in I'm getting Sleepy Hollow vibes, which is an extremely good thing. It feels like it's only a matter of time before the procedural format takes a backseat to just absolute nuttiness.

None of the leads are as good as Nicole Beharie and Tom Mison tho.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 6, 2022

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Those are all good recs - I'm especially fond of Search Party and the Other Two - but I also want to throw out The Great Pottery Thrown Down. It's more or less Great British Bake Off except with pottery, and you already know if you want to watch it or not based on that description. Special kudos go to the judge with truly catastrophic hair who frequently cries at peoples, like, tea cups.

EDIT: Oh also Infinity Train is excellent animation. Nice, tight little show, each season is 10 15-minute episodes. Undeniably peaks at Season 3. S4 is fine (and has one great supporting cast member) but it's just a let down after S3.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 21, 2022

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Bananaquiter posted:

I have watched 2.5 episodes of Sandman and I just can't take it, it just feels like a YA crossover fanfic.

And I managed to make it through all of Shadow and Bone. And all thr the Amazon wheel show. What am I missing?

This is an accepted problem with the comics, too. The first arc is generally regarded as very weak and even heavier on the crossover nonsense - Dream runs into Mister Miracle and the Martian Manhunter. The issue immediately after he finishes his big heroic quest, where he meets his sister, is an agreed upon turning point for the book.

I'm only 3 episodes in and only sorta feeling it, but I'm certainly going to give it until that episode.

I will say they should have gotten Keanu back to play Constantine.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Season two should be Nathan trying to get renewed, rehearsing the pitch with someone playing the president of HBO Discovery, and end it with the actual meeting and noting "well, I've actually already shot most of it, in fact we wrap today."

I saw it on Twitter, but my vote is for remake of the first season with different people. All of S1 was a rehearsal.

Incidentally, the S1 finale is the first thing that really made me hope to god some of this is scripted.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Cats Don't Dance, a charming little animated musical about animal actors trying to make it in Hollywood, is free with ads on Youtube. If you haven't heard of it, it was buried when it came out because it was produced by Turner Animation, which was promptly dissolved in the Warner merger. Starring Jasmine Guy and Scott Bakula, songs by Randy Newman, and choreography assistance from Gene Kelly (his last project before he died). Also has one of the great villain/henchman teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I haven’t revisited BSG in forever, is Exodus still an accepted stopping point?