Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Galavant is really loving good. Y'all should watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Netflix's whole strategy was to start by making critically-acclaimed stuff to gain legitimacy, then switch to interesting genre stuff to target media savvy folks to gain loyalists, then diversify their catalogue to have a handful of things for every single demographic that trickle out at just a slow enough rate to keep a mass volume of people subscribed. It's not that they stopped making good stuff, it's that they stopped making things exclusively targeted at the goon demo. Now they make stuff for your mom and your lame coworkers and inscrutable teenagers as well as you.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It is the single greatest live-action superhero adaptation of all time, bar none.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Would any of you be interested if I did a “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” Super Review, the same way that I did one on Seinfeld?

Or am I a loser nerd with no life who will be just wasting his time on stupid nonsense that nobody cares about?

Please.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Simplex posted:

It's explicit in the show that the other characters think it's racist. The joke is that they are lovely narcissistic people.

Yeah but they could have just done a different joke. I'm not defending removing it from streaming, that's the dumbest way to handle it. But the writers chose to write those jokes, despite the context. They could have just chosen not to make blackface into a joke.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Scooby-Doo was a noble effort, but I think the thing that was truly keeping it from good is that it's clearly a movie being pulled between two tones. Gunn's original script was a much more adult parody and at a certain point during production the studio decided it wanted an all-ages comedy. Gunn's first cut was rated R. They had to go so far as to CGI-out cleavage in the final cut, so I can only imagine what else got trimmed and changed in editing to accommodate. It shows on screen, with the final product feeling like it's all over the place tonally and shifting what game it's playing at different points of the film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Fringe streaming services are so vastly cooler than the big guys

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Peacemaker is great, but I think I'm the only person on the planet who hates the intro.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sirotan posted:

I watched 50% of the first Suicide Squad movie before I fell asleep and gave up, is the second one required to be able to start watching Peacemaker?

It's not required at all.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They actually run with it, if that alleviates your concerns.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Is that actually what the title is supposed to mean? Jesus. I never thought that before or after watching it.

It's kind of a baffling title for a movie. It's not a fun play on words or video game tropes and it doesn't invoke any of the themes going on in his movie. he's just a character named guy who becomes free.

It was not uncommon in the 80s for people getting a 1-up in Mario to call it a "free guy."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Inspector Hound posted:

It seems like they had a bunch of ideas for action scenes left over from Ready Player One and couldn't figure out a believable setting for the action scenes they wanted to use, so they made Free Guy. There's some individual parts that are fun in a vacuum and even some neat ideas, but they don't connect very well. It's like a movie version of an internet meme.

It was written by the dude that WB had writing a Matrix sequel before Lana came back on board and jettisoned his script. I don't think it's a big stretch to guess it's a repurposed story concept that Reynolds turned the Wacky Dial up on.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

wizardofloneliness posted:

Speaking of Sam Elliot, his recent diatribe against The Power of the Dog for having too many “homosexual insinuations” was pretty funny. I like watching the guy on screen, but man.

Ah geez. Link?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ah geez. Just another reminder to never meet your heroes, folks

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
West Side Story was a massive long-time passion project for him, so it's definitely not an issue of trying. I think like most artists as he got older his interests and instincts shifted, as did the industry itself. He's not interested in making the sort of films that he used to, and even if he was nobody would let him, plus he wouldn't have the same instincts as he did in his younger days.

Very few artists are able to continue firing on all cylinders for decades and decades at a time. Getting old takes a toll.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

No Adventures of Pete and Pete, it's worthless

HBO Max doesn't have Tales from the Crypt or Witch Hunt so what's the fuckin point

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just plop a dumptruck of money on Gaines's grandkids's lawn and be done with it already, I need that sweet sweet HD

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

When they say copyright hell, they mean it. Nobody knows who currently has the rights to the series. Like 5 companies claim they do, but none can provide definitive contracts that said that rights were included in the associated sales.

"We literally can't figure out who owns this, so nobody does." In any sane system this would mean it's in the public domain.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Was watching Extra Ordinary the other day with a friend and he asked if we could put on subtitles due to the strong accents. I tend not to for anything that's English language, but within a couple of minutes I was very glad we had.

Also, solid sweet fun flick if you enjoy Garth Marenghi's Darkplace or any of the Conchords-adjacent stuff.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I desperately miss theaters, but I recognize that every time I go to one it's a risk. So I'm going to continue only doing so for movies that feel worthy of that risk. Lately there have not really been any that reach that level for me. I'm certainly not going to risk my health for the 40th Batman movie, especially not when it's going to be on HBO soon.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Every review I saw was pretty savage on it, yeah.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't watched it yet, but him just using his influence to try and make his daughters famous seems pretty on brand.

This is literally everyone in Hollywood.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Martman posted:

Why, is something streaming out there?

Yeah, streams

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
tbf all fight sequences are boring

e: except in tokusatsu

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

Someday someone will invent a UI for a streaming service that’s actually good.

Good for whom? Every streaming service already gets great metrics for their original content by obscuring discoverability to drive you to their highest profile new releases. You'll keep subscribing whether they give you personalization and customization controls or not, but this way they can also juice all the right numbers for their quarterly reports.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I only made it halfway through Foundation, but the worst part of the show is how close they were to nailing it. A few tweaks to the story structure and another pass on each script could have made that show an all-timer with that cast and production design and high-level approach to the material. But as it stands, it's quite bad.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Google Butt posted:

The acting and dialog is very bad almost across the board. The action scenes are insanely bad. Cleon doesn't limp right.

I can't fault the actors, having to say that atrocious dialogue. I also don't think the direction is at fault. I definitely think another pass on all those scenes could have made it all click. Goyer just couldn't hold it together on his own.

It's such a shame about how it all turned out, because I think they totally cracked how to adapt Foundation while not making it too dry. Allowing a continuity of actors for the emperor via cloning, the emperor's majordomo via being R. Daneel Olivaw, Seldon via hologram, and Seldon's protegee via cryofreeze would make for a perfect anthology episodic/serialized hybrid. They just needed to do it over the course of millennia, not over the course of a couple hundred years.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In order to make it stand out like Wandavision with sitcoms and Loki with TVA silliness, they really should have gone all-in on the ancient Egyptian religion aspect and just blown all of their budget on nutty depictions of Egyptian gods that try to one-up Gods of Egypt and go Tarsem Singh with it all.

I mean, who knows, maybe they try. IDK I'm not gonna watch that poo poo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I also watched it recently and found it to be extremely lacking. Would've loved to see the original vision.

If you want a better Blade Runner/Total Recall riff with a bit of Robocop, check out Future Kick.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If they do, then I'd imagine it's to keep an illusion of "freshness" for their subscribers. Having people log on every week and seeing nothing new is bad for business.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hiyah is approaching Seeso levels of bad naming.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It also (end of season spoilers) has a very functional purpose in the story by acting as a red-herring for Danson's universal language, beyond its larger thematic significance.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

mcmagic posted:

I don't get not liking her. Child star who royally hosed up her life with drugs but had a nice comeback second act career in her 30s is pretty rad.

I do like her a lot, but I can see someone being rubbed the wrong way by the sort of "disaffected superiority" Gen X vibe she can tap into. That sort of thing usually bothers me, but with her it works somehow.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really dislike the set extensions. I preferred the claustrophobic feeling of the original. Also the dwarf-monkey-mutant-whatever attack in the original was bad, sure. But that poo poo they replaced it with was worse.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

nonathlon posted:

Right. It used to be a really big thing - there's a mini-climax or turning point, the curtains draw across the screen, the lights go up, everyone grabs a drink or goes to the toilet and then the second part starts.

I'm not sure when and why this disappeared. I'd guess cinemas wanted to schedule more films, so there was a pressure towards reducing length.

Hateful Eight roadshow, baby

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Still gotta get around to Only Lovers Left Alive.

Do yourself a big favor and prioritize it asap.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

Chip and Dale was actually pretty funny and had some really insane cameos. I liked it.

Care to spoil the weirdest stuff?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How would you prefer them to make a dinosaur documentary?

If you want talking heads in a museum, we've gotten a million of those and they suck. They're inherently dry and academic and keep the subject at arms length. In certain ways it's a barrier to learning, limiting the ability for the viewer to see them as real animals, and it's a large part of why the public perception of them is still as monsters from a fantasy world.

This is no different than Walking with Dinosaurs, Dinosaur!, or dozens of other ambitious dino docs of the past 50 years. There's thousands of speculative documentaries out there on any number of scientific subjects that can't be easily or fully captured on film, from deep space to cellular biology to the atomic world to any historical subject before the invention of photography.

Is any documentary about Ancient Rome that uses reenactments not a documentary to you? Any documentary about the geologic makeup of the moons of our solar system just fantasy in your book? It's ridiculous to dismiss all of those as "not documentaries" because you've created your own artificially limited definition.

Anyway, I watched the first episode and it's cute, but I do wish the narration went into more detail about the discoveries that led to out understanding of what's depicted on screen.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Awesome, I'll definitely check that out. I heard a reviewer mention that the science companion piece was about 5 minutes long and very surface level, which is a big disappointment. I do watch a lot of short nature docs on YouTube that are very dry but in-depth, including dinosaur ones, so my expectations for what Apple wants to put out for the masses may be unrealistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think you're vastly underestimating how much we know about dinosaurs at this point in time. The field has evolved in leaps and bounds in the past 20 years.