Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No but that sounds insufferable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I've run into Seth Green's mom a couple times, she's alright and her dog is pretty cool, but I'm kinda over Seth himself.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think the second one is better.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If you can handle the concept of "this bear talks and can live in someone's house, this is uncommon enough that you don't see it happening anywhere else but not enough so that anyone would be shocked" you'll be fine.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I mean he also made a movie where he took the idea of "killer puppets that were built by a French puppeteer to kill Nazis occupying france" where you're basically rooting for the puppets and made them literal Nazi puppets that hunt down minorities instead. He's basically taking the golem of Prague and making it a stormtrooper.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
People don't "necessarily" agree with the characters they "write" or believe "the situations" they create are "real" or that "words and" ideas have meaning or when "the" premise of a movie is horrific cannibal native americans that happen to fit racial stereotypes that it "indicates" they "kind of agree" with those stereotypes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
For real though wasn't there a whole thing with Zahler working with those ghouls at PJ media?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think Deliverance was racist against white southerners per se but I do think it has some less than flattering things to say about hillbillies, and I don't think white southerners are really oppressed on the level of indigenous Americans.

edit fwiw I enjoyed Bone Tomahawk fine and excused it as a sort of intentional schlock angle, and took that line about "these aren't Indians, these are monsters" in good faith. It was when the director started making other movies that all had this real hard right angle and also the movie about cool literal nazis hunting down minorities that I reevaluated it

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Sure, I mean after all there are *checks notes* videos of girls talking about things on the internet.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think Basterds is his best movie, and kind of the best use of his strengths while also incorporating his idiosyncrasies in ways that are the least annoying. Jackie Brown is real good and probably his most straightforward movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Field Mousepad posted:

Ong Bak fuckin owns.

Hell yeah brother

Field Mousepad posted:

Watch all of them right now

Wait hold on a sec

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Tom Yum Goong is great and all, and when it works it really fuckin works but as a whole it's not as strong as Ong Bak. Like the tower fight is better than anything in Ong Bak but the setting is weak, there's no atmosphere, a couple of the fights (look I loved him as rictus erectus but any scene with Nathan Jones is rough) are dull, and the connective tissue just isn't there.

It reminds me of The Raid: Redemption vs Raid 2: Berandal. There are moments in raid 2 that are better than anything in the first movie but there's a lot that's much worse too.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The director's father is Philadelphia's second most prominent and most respected public artist, as well as someone who is extremely mentally unwell and a serial harasser.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Chris James 2 posted:

I recommend physical media if you have the cash, there's a lot of great boutique labels these days and there's been a Lot of sales between last month and now, and next month is going to add more (Barnes and Nobles having sales on Criterion and Arrow Video releases)

In terms of streaming services, ones I recommend at least browsing before going further (bold are my favs):

Tubi - free with ads, Insanely large archive of content
PlutoTV, PopcornFlix, Crackle, Amazon freevee (formerly known as IMDBTV) and the Roku Channel - all also free with ads, less-impressive but each still has some gems within. Roku Channel for a time had the complete series of both the original and new Outer Limits, inspiring me to buy the boxsets before they left so I could still do a rewatch because those shows ruled :hellyeah:
ShoutFactoryTV - same as those, only reason I list it separately is because it also has original Mystery Science Theater 3000 which is its own selling point
HBO Max - has a pretty archive (including a decent amount, definitely not all though, of Criterion) and a fair amount of new stuff I loved. My favorite of the big new-content services for what it provides
Shudder - a must for horror fans
AcornTV and BritBox - musts for fans of British shows
Mubi - indie cinema

Agreed about hbo max. Of the paid services it's got a tremendous amount of content for a broad audience. It's got the standard hbo movies; a first run or two that probably sucks and some older stuff that may or may bout be good, but then it has a ton of other libraries attached as well. TCM has a ton of criterion stuff, it's the only avenue to watch studio ghibli online, and if you have kids they have a shockingly comprehensive sesame street library and cartoon network.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I had something go wrong with different ad blocking and facebook tracker blocking add-ons in firefox a while ago and somehow it broke only youtube ad blocking and the "skip ad" button on youtube. I learned fast that there are 90+ minute ads all over the place on there.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think part of it is just that Hiddleston is a better actor and it's more charismatic than most of their leads, and ditto for the supporting cast.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's true, but also moon knight is an incredibly low rung hero, even for the marvel television shows and Egypt stuff isn't really having a moment now like it was in *checks notes* the 1990s or 1920s.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'd love to watch the new B&B movie but there's literally no force on earth that could compel me to sign up for Paramount+ so maybe it'll crash and burn soon and they'll sell their library off to some other service I already have.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
One of the puppetmaster movies is a clip show. Anyway the first and second are the best of at least first 10ish, they were still occasionally stop motion animating them, after that it's just recycling the footage of blade running and puppeting them in front of the camera like action figures by the feet.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I've only seen the first two Trancers movies, overall the first is a lot better but the second movie has probably the best 30 seconds in film history.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also someone mentioned Future Kick a while back in some thread, that movie takes place entirely within that future bit at the beginning of trancers but also everybody kickboxes all the time.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yes but does it have a nonsense shot of pizza at the end? Point: Future Kick

edit dang this a Pyun joint? I'm interested

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 2, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's all downhill after the ham, but it's okay. That ham scene though is actually the pinnacle of entertainment, peak cinema.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's pretty great!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You watch Watchmen (the show) yet? It's pretty great for a show that both seemingly has almost nothing to do with the book but would make absolutely no sense to someone who hasn't read the book.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Doom Patrol is superhero bullshit but Brendan Fraser is real good as a piece of poo poo robot and it's real weird and also super queer.

There are carnivorous butts and a genderqueer sentient street.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, aside from HBO originals there's some really phenomenal TCM picks on there.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Tried Cruella on D+, hoping it would be 80 minutes of Emma Stone chewing scenery wearing that wig and with over the top costume design. There's like 10 minutes of that tops, most of it is either Devil Wears Prada: London 1974 or a lame heist movie. Not entirely worthless, but rarely as fun as I had hoped and never as funny as that scene of the dogs killing her mom that went viral.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

A MIRACLE posted:

I.. put the screw.. in the tuna!

All That was the poo poo. I wonder how hey dude and salute your shorts hold up. I know Pete n Pete is still vibey as hell, I should grab the dvd of that

The Hey Dude sets were still up on whatever ranch they used for a couple decades, I think there are some mid 2010s exploration photos out there.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I wonder if the other hubs from max will carry over too, ghibly, adult swim, tcm, sesame workshop, all that. 90% of what I watch on max isn't "hbo" content.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Bad news for Our Flag though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I mean yeah consumers are pissed but Warner's is burning a ton of goodwill with creators. I know they only want to do DC tentpoles but will anyone capable of doing that actually be willing to work with them after this week?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

feedmyleg posted:

Is the Sandman show actually good? What's it comparable to?

I watched the first episode and kinda hated it. The lead was seemingly cast because he has a decent voice and kinda looks like the way the character was drawn, but he's got a real awkward screen presence and not in a good way. The first episode covers about the first 5 pages of the comic so it seems like they're really stretching as hard as they can.

I'd agree with "the trailers for The Dark Tower" as a point of comparison. Worth comparing to American Gods, but it's not a favorable comparison. AG wasn't great but they took risks and the show underneath the adaptation was at least alright, some good casting, some good shots, people were trying. This feels very perfunctory.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The excessive narration in the first episode was annoying but wasn't even the worst part of it in my eyes. I thought the whole thing felt very soulless and kinda assembly line-ish? Like there wasn't really any cohesion and it was just sort of all there. Decisions being made because "gotta put a camera somewhere" not because it helped tell a story.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The ones we meet are the dentists and Eric Trumps of the yautja world. They have scientists and teachers and like janitors too, it's just the rich assholes on safari that care about this hunt bullshit .

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Was the one guy credited as "pedo guy" though?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
One of the movie's central themes is the exploitation of nature to create spectacle and [very mild spoilers] an animal attack on a set is something that happens in the movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hobo With A Shotgun, Escape From NY (or LA), Robocop

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

RCarr posted:

I watched Attack the Block just now and it was pretty bad…

You should probably revisit it because it's actually real fuckin good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I have kids so D+ is by a wide margin the best value streaming service for us, but if it was just Simpsons and marvel garbage I'd probably drop it too.