Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Archive 81 isn't perfect but it feels very close to being great so far (5 episodes in). It does so much right that the clunkier moments feel a little more glaring but I still really like it.

I just hope this season is a one and done thing and it's not some sort of cliffhanger. I'm not familiar with the podcast and haven't really read anything on the show so I have no idea tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to add a section for straight to streaming movies instead of just listing TV in the OP considering this is a CD thread. Netflix alone is a treasure trove of great stuff, crap you would have been mad to pay for in theaters but enjoyed for free, and actual crap movies that are exclusive to Netflix.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought search party season 4 was a little too ridiculous, but after watching half of season 5 I think the problem was that it wasn’t ridiculous enough.

Season 4 was still good though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

By all means, recommend some DTS movies! I'm not against it.

I’ll try and make a little list tomorrow

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Roth posted:

You also can just not subscribe to services if you don't want them, and it's not a battle to cancel the subscription.

You can also just ask friends and family for their passwords and watch poo poo for free.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does anyone really enjoy watercooler TV chat that much? Seriously? I'd rather just do the weather it's over in 3 seconds and I don't have to listen to what some dumbass at work thinks about game of thrones for 10 minutes. gently caress water cooler chat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

I was not vibing at all with that show after the first episode, but now I feel like I might have to revisit it.

It just gets more and more bonkers as time goes on, with the last season being completely off the rails. One thing you might be easily misconstrue early on is that it's supposed to be like a Girls 2.0 where all of the characters are your besties, but unlike Girls the show itself is very aware that all of the characters are narcissistic sociopaths. If I was going to compare it to anything I'd say it's sort of like Always Sunny only moodier, episodic and bit more dramatic.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

No, but they stuff

That spoiler might be a little heavy even with tags. If you haven’t watched the show don’t read this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Actually I just thought of a better comparison than always sunny for search party that was right in front of my face. It’s co written and co created by Michael Showalter, so if you are familiar with Wet Hot American Summer or the humor of The State, just imagine that, only about self absorbed Brooklyn hipsters.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I really didn't care much for Search Party Season 4. Honestly, it's been a bit of a decline since Season 2 for me. But I'm starting Season 5 now and I'm excited to see where it's going to go!

Edit: It helps somewhat that watching John Reynolds in this never fails to make me think he'd be a great Egon if, God forbid, Ghostbusters got rebooted again.

Season 4 was probably the weakest. 5 is good as long as you are on board with how ridiculous it is.

I think the best thing about season 5 is that even though it's really en vogue to poo poo on tech billionaires, modern society, influencers they do it in a way that feels both sort of relatable and like some straight up Willy Wonka poo poo at the same time.

Also lol yeah John Reynolds would be a great Egon.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I love apocalypse stuff but there’s just so much of it lately it’s a bit of a hard sell. I only started it because like 5 people randomly said it was fantastic. Only watched the first ep so far but it was great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I never really thought about it but that guy really is going apeshit on that piano

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is it normal for lifeguards to have their own lifeguard branded helicopters and large boats? I always figured that was more coast guard vs Pamela Anderson territory.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chaotic Flame posted:

I'm going to have to give Station 11 another chance it seems. I watched the first episode randomly with my family over the holidays and we were all confused by a lot of the choices the characters were making with seemingly no context for why they were making those decisions, so I bounced off.

What specifically? Only thing I can think of is the main guys choice to run on stage, which is specifically treated as an odd thing to do and it’s implied there’s more to it than we know.

I’ve only watched 2 episodes but I can’t really think of anything else in episode 1.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mystes posted:

Perhaps I phrased that poorly. They have been accumulating original content so they now have a decent amount when you include their back catalog. However people who have been subscribed continuously for a long time are going to have already seen most of that that they are interested, and at the rate they create content, in terms of new content they pretty much do have to "show all new content to everyone" to have additional, new content to promote as I said; it's very different from when it was a DVD rental service and they had essentially every movie ever made, so they could just find out what people were interested in and recommend tons of additional movies based on individual preferences.

They also have plenty of content that people are going hopefully to feel is worth watching in various genres, but they explicitly announced that the reason they switched away from star ratings because they felt that there would be content that people would want to watch that they wouldn't feel was 5 stars (in other words most of their content is going to be stuff that people would rate 3 stars but would still be willing to watch) so I don't think that's really something that can be disputed.

Yeah they have a back catalog of great stuff, but I would say they have the slowest trickle of releases I even want to watch and even less that I am remotely excited about in regards to any of the big services. I find HBO and Hulu to be the main ones I go to, with Netflix and prime being the back up “all right maybe I can find some trash to watch” backup option.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

its wild 2 me that people are like "wow netflix doesn't have anythign i havent watched before" and not realize maybe thats cause theyve watched everything & not because of an flaw with netflix

haha

Have you considered that maybe they watched the .5% of Netflix stuff that is worth watching and not literally everything on Netflix? You don’t have to watch every episode of “2 hot to handle” to consider the well of content a bit dry lol.

I watch like 3 hours of Netflix a month and most of the time I can’t find anything I want to watch on there.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's literally just John Wick with Bob Odenkirk lol. It was a fun enough watch though. I didn't love either of them but they aren't a bad time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The fact that he was a secret badass was the worst part. I thought it was gonna be some joe shmo slogging and suffering through it, but it was literally just John Wick which imo was already just about the most overrated movie I've ever seen. The one thing that appeared to set it apart wasn't even actually a thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah Odenkirk was great in it. So was Keanu in John Wick which I think is pretty much the main draw of those movies along with the solid action scenes. The writing in them is absolutely awful.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Station 11 was great, but some of the stuff with the prophet just didn't work at all imo. It wasn't enough to drag the show down too much but there's just too many plot holes and hand waves going on there. Everything surrounding him felt sort of ridiculous in an otherwise grounded show.

I'd still give it an A- though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

I read a summary for the book the other day, and the prophet is handled very differently: He's actually raping all those kids that follow him, and Kirsten actually kills him, there is no happy reunion with his mother.

Well. I may not have liked it but I do like it more than that lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Slashrat posted:

Just finished Archive 81 on Netflix and really liked it.

It reminded me a bit of a mix between The Shining and another horror movie from 2001 called Session 9, in a good way. For a good long while it still had me guessing about what the true nature of the events might be.

Overall it was good but the last 2 episodes dragged. They just confirm that the mystery is exactly what it looks like and from there it's wrapping up things for the two main characters. Which was fine, but wasn't too interesting imo. The twist at the end was decent though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The completely out of place cyberpunk looking stuff in Boba Fett caused an absolutely visceral response in me. The mod squad, the implants shop... it felt like all of them just walked on set by accident from some sci-fi original show from 1999. I think it's aesthetically the worst fit I have ever seen for Star Wars and yes I have seen the guy made of lightsabers.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LifeLynx posted:

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding. Every bit of it is depressing. Even being self-aware that it's a Rear Window satire isn't clever, because it's been done before.

Yeah didn't Will Ferrel and Kristin Wiig do the exact same thing a while back? Except the idea was funnier because it actually aired on Lifetime?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

Just a complete lack of humanity for anyone who wasn't on "our" side. Just wasn't interesting. You could have an obviously selfish character who still has understandable humanity but there was no interest in that kind of nuance.

Hate to break it to you but this is basically reality.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

No it's not, but that's a comforting fiction we tell ourselves when humans, with all of their feelings and principles and motivations and loved ones and favorite hobbies and favorite brand of snack foods (you know, their essential humanities) commit horrible selfish acts.

It's much more compelling to me when movies reflect this fact and don't instead pretend that the other side are horrible monstrous orcs.

I'm not saying there is no nuance to people in reality I'm saying that's how we treat each other in reality.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The movie is not about "dumb sheeple" it is about a ruling elite incapable of navigating avoidable catastrophe because doing so would mildly compromise their positions of absolute comfort. Instead they get high on their own supply by imagining up obviously doomed "smart and nuanced" solutions that coincidentally change nothing systemically.

People are always trying to pin down what exactly it's "about" but it's straight up just a cynical look at modern society in general and there really isn't much more to it. It doesn't set out to have any answers it's just compiling everyones frustration into a little package. I get why some people love it and some people hate it. It's either cathartic or frustrating (but probably both) depending on your mindset.

I don't think it's a great or bad movie. I liked it enough. It's just kind of there for everyone to collectively throw their hands in the air and go "I know! Right?" Whether or not that lands is going to vary from person to person, but it's not really about one thing it's just sort of a reflection of how disgusted everyone is right now with literally everything.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Netflix is doing their thing for sure, but it's mostly a bunch of poo poo I don't care about.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can’t say that I find the subject matter of Pam and Tommy even remotely interesting, but the cast and production is so good I’m pretty hooked.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Summer of Soul is so good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah Kimi was good too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Finished Boba Fett, baffling at how they made an enormous fight sequence in Tatooine featuring two jet packed bounty hunters laying waste to a crime syndicate boring. Thirteen year old me would be very disappointed.

Boba Fett felt like a dramatized version of a child playing with his Star Wars toys and smashing them together.

I wanna see that final fight scene with a 6 year old narrating. "And-then then the rancor, he jump on the building and Boba riding on him and he smash down and braggghhhhh! he smash the robots." * Also he didn't have enough Star Wars toys and had to dig into some reboot toys or something, which is the only explanation I have for the mod squad.

* yes I am imagining the kid from the Onion Fast and Furious bit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I watched the trailer and was trying to figure out if that was part of the joke or something, because that accent is just baffling.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't even remember but I do remember it being really bad in general.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Love is Blind is like the worst thing I have ever watched and I'm still watching for some reason. I don't watch a lot of garbage tier reality TV so maybe this is par for the course. It's probably very unremarkable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think I'm on the 4th ep?

It's sort fascinating how bad it is. First off they trot out all of these people and 1/3rd of them never see any screen time beyond their introductions. They aren't shown going on "dates" or anything. They are just sort of there and gone. I don't know why they were in the show to begin with. Then you have the people who actually get "engaged" and most of them just seem insanely desperate and broken , while the rest are just there for reality show clout. Every single engagement has something catastrophically wrong with it except one, which is the lady who used to be fat and the very sensitive guy (one of them there's a lot) who reminds me of a lamer version of BJ from Gemstones. They both just seem like they are happy to find a warm body, godspeed to both of them.

The last ep I watched was the one where they get everyone poo poo canned in paradise and everything is going to hell. Like, you can tell the producers legit got all of them as drunk as possible to stir up maximum poo poo and now everyone is crying.

meanwhile the resident non host from New Kids on the Block pops in occasionally to assure the audience that this is in fact "scientifically proven" to be a legit way to find a spouse.

its the worst thing I have ever watched I'm going to watch it all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

So wait apparently the first, distorted recording was of the initial sexual assault, and then the second longer one was the murder. I was under the impression that both recordings were of the murder, not two separate attacks.

This is correct

The first snippet was flagged, most likely to the voices being unintelligible, the second clip was found once she had full access to the device. Totally separate (but related) incidents.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 16, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m not saying the Halo show won’t suck but the trailer actually did look sort of nifty. Looks like it has Disney level production values going on. I’ll at least check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No one is talking about Ozark because that show isn't very good.