Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I watched 3 episodes of all of us are dead just now and it just seemed like a much worse kingdom

E: okay I'm through episode 5 now and this show is just bad

Papercut fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Watched The Last Duel, it was very solid. It dragged a bit and I felt like some of the scene repetition could've been cut, but the performances were great and the costumes/sets/action were all great.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

I believe the repetitive scenes were all slightly different depending on the perspective of the person's story in that moment.

They were, but in some cases I didn't think a big enough difference that we needed to see it 3 times. Although there were scenes where the subtle differences in scenes were done so well, like Jodie Comer with the slightest change in facial expression changing the whole tone.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Inspector Hound posted:

And this is why I think Encanto sucks. I also hate the songs, but I know I'm the only person on earth who does so I won't defend that hill too vigorously.

I had the same reaction. The story itself felt very half baked to be and the music was so generic LMM, I was not a fan.

I watched a few episodes of the Kristen bell show last night and it was very weird, idk what to make of it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The latest season of it's always sunny is shockingly good, it's up there with the best ever. I think the shorter season helped, because it felt like every episode had at least a couple doubled-over-with-laughter moments. Danny devito is a treasure.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The roller rink episode is definitely the weakest of the new season

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Watched The Vigil last night, really enjoyed it. It had some truly scary parts and the story/acting were solid.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Love is Blind is like the worst thing I have ever watched and I'm still watching for some reason. I don't watch a lot of garbage tier reality TV so maybe this is par for the course. It's probably very unremarkable.

I watch a lot of garbage tier TV and LIB takes the cringe/second hand embarrassment to another level. It's so loving uncomfortable. People pouring their hearts out while the audience *knows* the person on the other side is just looking for the right moment to break things off. It's insane.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

nate fisher posted:

This is the how I feel about Too Hot to Handle. It is the first reality show I have watched in like 10+ years (if you don't count Terrace House) and it is really bad, but yet I keep watching it.

Watch love is blind, it's MUCH better than 2h2h

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Love is Blind Japan is devastating in a way the US version is not at all. I think because the Japanese contestants seem to put much less emphasis on the physical side of their relationships, so when things inevitably fail it's because of deep emotional issues that they know they have and haven't been able to overcome. The loneliness of this show is palpable, it's so good.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I think they are dropping half seasons which is weird. Must be something netflix is trying out. Rest of the episodes come out tomorrow

No they release 3-4 episodes at a time, the same thing they did for Singles Inferno and 2h2h.

I think it does create a lot more buzz. At least my friends group, we talk about the episodes that are out, get hyped in the intervening days waiting for the new ones, spend a few days talking about the new ones.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

was hunting for my white whale--a 90 minute action movie--and came across "The One" starring Jet Li. I remember it being critically dumped on, but I watched it, and it was incredibly fun. might be a bit of nostalgia for a time when you could get away with playing Papa Roach over a fight montage, but I was having a great time the entire way through. probably not quite "due for a reappraisal" but it was great schlock that never felt too long.

The One owns, i wrote a finals paper about it, Matrix, and T2 for a science & religion class in college. Best final ever.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I refuse to watch the film because of the title. NOBODY says or has said "Free Guy". It's always "Extra Life" or something similar.

I didn't even realize this is what the title was referring to until your post lol

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

mystes posted:

I feel like I probably must have actually seen it in the 80s and 90s and just not remembered but as someone who owned an nes I think I just saw 1-up and extra life a lot more

I cut my teeth on the Atari and had an NES from US release and it was always a 1-up, I've never heard free guy until now

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

mystes posted:

I don't think the term "1-up" was used (at least in English) prior to Super Mario Bros though so other terms (including extra life, etc.) must have been used between the release of the atari and the release of the NES.

Extra life for sure

I'm gonna finish love is blind US s2 and love is blind Japan today, both are amazing tv. The US version for the more trainwreck style entertainment and the Japan version for surprisingly emotional pull. I watched the first couple episodes of love is blind Brazil and it was very promising in its own way too; their cast definitely seems more like fuckboy party people but some of the relationships still feel really genuine.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I finished Love is Blind Japan last night, and this was the best feel good show since Cheer. Just an incredible escape from all the garbage. The star couple is so positive and kind, I would watch a show that just follows their life around forever.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 27, 2022

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Watched the first 3 episodes of Station Eleven yesterday and drat this show is good. The storytelling and performances are so well-done.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is there a reason why "Guardians of Justice" has such a low IMDB score?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16549788/

Was there some "controversy" that I missed?

I'm a couple episodes in and really enjoying it. Has that indie experimental 3AM show on cable vibe.

Idk I watched two episodes and couldn't believe how a show this bad actually got fully completed so maybe it's just that

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cithen posted:

My wife just made the comment:

"One thing I will say for Reacher is that the dialogue is about a million times better than anything in Midnight Mass."

...and I can't say I disagree.

False, midnight mass has no dialogue, only monologue

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

mcmagic posted:

God. Mrs Maisel season 3 is a complete bore. No stakes nothing interesting happens. They have no idea where to go with these characters Should’ve been one and done.

Yeah I think that's where I lost interest. Season 2 was a lot worse than 1 and then 3 was completely forgettable.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Turning Red was so incredibly good

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Finished Station Eleven, what an incredible show. The ending was perfect, I hope they never make another season.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Don't worry it got bad before it got cancelled

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The script for Free Guy was impressively bad

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Also Jackass came out around the time most goons were in high school or college

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I love Big Mouth but found Human Resources slightly worse than mediocre and do not think it's worth watching.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The Ultimatum is Netflix taking their trash reality tv genre to new heights of trashiness, it's so bad. The takeaway reasonable people will have from the show is that literally all of these people should break up and work on themselves.

There's a lot of talk from the contestants of "going through this experiment", which has become a common theme in all of these Netflix dating shows and you can tell that's how the producers are pitching it to these people. But if it was actually an experiment about becoming better partners or strengthening your relationships, all of these people would be going to couples counseling and individual counseling throughout the entire show.

Instead it's just Jerry Springer with a fancy Netflix sheen.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

thiccabod posted:

"I never thought MY boyfriend would makeout with another woman," sobs woman who elected to be on the Send Your Boyfriend To Live With Someone Else For Three Weeks Show.

lol it's a lot worse than simple jealousy issues like that though, the whole show is basically:

Person 1: "I want x"
Person 2: "I don't want x"
Person 1: "Actually you do want x and now I'm gonna get really defensive and argumentative about why I'm right"

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't watched it but I did watch Love is Blind which is the most amazing pile of poo poo I have ever watched and noticed the Ultimatum is hosted by the same boy band guy and his wife.

One of my favorite things in Love is blind is how he always introduces himself as
"I'm Nick Lachey, but you already know that"
"I'm Nick Lachey, obviously"
"I'm Nick Lachey, but that goes without saying"
and then he's just like oh yeah this is my wife she's just some lady

I had to google who the gently caress he was.

Every scene they're in they try to impart the wisdom from their own relationship to the poor non-celebs trapped in the room with them :D

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Yeah I liked the first two episodes of moon knight better than most Disney shows and felt like the action/effects were exactly in line with the other mcu shows (which are all an obvious step down from the movies)

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Finally getting around to Ted Lasso and while the first season was great I’m finding season 2 incredibly meh.

Yeah I only thought season 1 was pretty good, but my partner *loved* it, and even she got bored before we finished season 2

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I watched the first 40 minutes of Batman and burst out laughing at 2-3 scenes that were definitely not meant to be funny. The movie was so self serious, it played like parody for me. Like the "vengeance" line lmao how far up your own rear end are you bro. I feel like I should watch the rest just to know, but God I did not like that first half hour at all.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
If Netflix starts charging for pw sharing I'll just stop using Netflix

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

isaboo posted:

nah, just be the share-ee, not the share-er

I've already been annoyed because Netflix seemed to change their streaming so you can't screenshare/screenshot it anymore. Back to mpegs!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

SimonChris posted:

If you are on PC, you can just turn off hardware acceleration in the browser.

Oh dang nice, thank you

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I watched the first 3 episodes of Pieces of Her and it was very bad. I think the script is the real issue but the performances don't help it. The daughter character is so ridiculously stupid.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

I enjoyed watching Toni Collette and David Wenham chewing the scenery, and while there were a couple of fun moments, the show overall was very bad, and to be honest I can't even remember how it ended. It was very unmemorable.

Yeah it sucks cause it's such a waste of her, she's great and her character seems interesting but then every scene without her is terrible.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Glottis posted:

Obi-Wan: I personally found the writing to be terrible in the first couple of episodes, and the show isn't great. It's just kind of sloppy and unnecessary. They're just filling in story gaps and not really innovating anything in my opinion.

So the entirety of Disney SW

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

I watched Sonic 2 on Paramount+ and it was a perfectly cute kids movie but ten year old me would have lost his loving mind

Also glad that they realized 90's Jim Carrey was the best part of the first one and let him lean even harder into it this time

I saw it at a kindergarten birthday party, the parents rented out a theater for it. Like twenty 6-year-olds all sitting in the same row up front. They went bonkers for it, it was so fun. Very solid movie.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I thought EEAAO was pretty good but yeah I had tons of friends saying it was the best movie ever and things like that and I just did not get that at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The bus scene was the only part of Shang Chi that I enjoyed at all and it was in like the first 10% of the movie.