Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ymgve posted:

Why do they even bother authenticating it? Wouldn't their doctrine demand destroying all art that evokes emotions, including prints and reproductions?

The guys who come in to burn it are in hazmat suits, and they use flamethrowers. No one else is wearing hazmat suits, nor is there any indication of why they would be. The flamethrowers only light the painting, not the wooden floorboards. The logic of Equilibrium is not the logic of thinking things through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mystes posted:

What is the question?

also anime

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

So's Gina Carano!

Who also got cast in a bunch of stuff until she said Forbidden Things. Gadot however has kept her opinions vague, and it’s ok to say you don’t care about Palestinians anyway. Their acting abilities are a tertiary concern to the paymasters

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MacheteZombie posted:

Its my favorite Refn film

Same. The pusher movies are also great but OGF is extremely Refn without feeling like one of these recent Netflix films where they give a director money and say go wild. It’s a tight 90 minutes, and even if I could handle the vibes for longer I appreciate that

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Peccadillo posted:

I like Brolin completely trying to ignore his cosmic hole and having no idea what it's deal is in Outer Range despite getting shoved down into an alternate Nazi world by his rambler and then shot in the leg after being told by his alternaye reality wife that he's dead and has to run and diving back into the cosmic hole. He's really not concerned. He's just like 'well that was a thing but I got a ranch to run and a family to help out'
He just approaches his rambler and is like "hey... cut that out"

wait outer range is a show about mel's hole?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Starks posted:

I'm not surprised Netflix is getting rid of all the things that were once good about it. Their competitors are doing week-to-week episodes, have way less content for the price, have trailers at the beginning of shows, upsell you on extra channels, ignore foreign language and older films, and they are still making tons of money. The success of Disney and Apple+ despite how poo poo they are really just shows that you only need one, maybe 2 big shows a season to get people to pay 10-20 bucks for your streaming service and nothing else matters. Between the Witcher, Bridgerton, Drive to Survive, Squid Game et al, I have a feeling Netflix will do just fine as a company even if it pisses me off personally.

but those services don't cost 10-20 bucks. they cost like 5-10.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CelticPredator posted:

Old was pretty fun. Y’all boring.

The movie explains it pretty clear that the beach is natural and the scientists are using it for their work because that’s what nature would want.

That poo poo is loving fun! Also nasty bone breaking rapid healing!

There’s no irony or snark with it and it’s so refreshing. Embrace being stupid.

keep in mind that they think the happening is funny by accident. some people are beyond help

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Army of Darkness was my entry into Sam Raimi. Rented it from the Super Duper Video because I read a review of it from Roger Ebert who had the following line:

They could have fired up the searchlights and had a 40 story flashing neon arrow pointing to the VHS box and it would have been less effective on me than those two sentences.

You must have been so disappointed when he loads the shotgun, repeatedly, on screen, in a completely plausible way

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Also yes RRR was an incredibly fun spectacle. Anime as gently caress, sometimes felt like videogame cinemas. Like, Metal Gear Lagaan. I do feel like it lagged a bit after a while, it's long as gently caress and could use some editing but hey it keeps you entertained pretty regularly. The loving dance-off, the loving...everything!!! It's hard not to love a movie where this many white guys die in funny ways, even if it is propagandistic as hell (that final song lmao).
I got a big kick out of the evil governor, who is straight up an anime villain, and also thought filling EVERY ROOM in his castle with TNT was a GREAT IDEA.

the funniest part is the montage sequence where a song explains the concept of "dramatic stakes" like the people in the audience have no idea what a story is

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

RCarr posted:

I watched Attack the Block just now and it was pretty bad…

wtf rcarr

from mcmagic, whatever but

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

yoohoo posted:

The developers are a couple of nobodies and the guy behind the first two episodes also directed a Jurassic World movie. For the next 12 hours I’m taking every review with an Amazon sized grain of salt.

JA Bayona is great director, you could have said the guy who directed the orphanage, or the best episodes of Penny dreadful, or A Monster Calls if you weren’t grinding an axe

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Inspector Hound posted:

Oh what the gently caress

The modern equivalent to syndication, sort of

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah the first big rush sequence is just "Shake the camera around to make it disorienting" (and as I said I suspect this was a way to avoid having to show more violence than the studio would have tolerated.)

The music in that sequence is great though. Literally the only positive memory I have of that movie

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Open Source Idiom posted:

the solving of these mysteries a fundamental vector of action for ...the audience.

Sounds like you're talking about marketing, not the shows

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mcmagic posted:

The only good dinosaur properties are Jurassic Park 1 and Prehistoric Planet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_Dinosaurs_&_Monster_Birds

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Legend Of Dinosaurs & Monster Birds is the best movie ever made about prehistoric animals, but the title is entirely erroneous. The creatures are reptiles, not dinosaurs.

The actual best non-JP dino movies are Dinotasia, Walking With Dinosaurs: The Movie: The Cretaceous Cut (on mute), and Area 407.

lol fair enough. did you know it was a giant hit in the USSR and sold what would be like 600 million dollars of tickets at modern US prices

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The teenager loving came from a lot of different sources though

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Glottis posted:

They're more like "ghost stories" than straight up horror, which is something he explicitly leaned into for Midnight Club, and that's a part I personally really like. I do think he is capable of making a pretty great Dark Tower series, though I'm sure it won't please everyone.

Flanagan is always and everywhere restrained and tasteful. To pull off Dark Tower he's going to have to do the exact of opposite of his instincts in every way

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Not sure what you’re referring to so I’ll just google this phrase

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Papercut posted:

Yeah like I said I liked it thanks. It was very funny.

why did you say "for some reason" if you knew the reason?

why did you say that in response to someone talking about it making no sense if you thought it made sense?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Medullah posted:

If you're a Nathan Fielder, The Curse is Showtime. I loved it but a lot of people didn't

I’m more of a Nathan catcher if I’m being honest

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mcmagic posted:

OP is upset that the desert movie is brown

probably didn't help that i watched lawrence of arabia a few days before and denis's desert photography...suffers in comparison

Sirotan posted:

Honestly I was just bored by it. It looked good and had a couple scenes I really loved (throat singing Sardaukar? :krad:) but otherwise it just...didn't get weird enough for me! It didn't help that movies split into two parts sucks and leaves me feeling ultimately unfulfilled when I walk out of the theater.

yeah it's just not very weird, there's tons of expository dialogue and yet still not enough to understand what's going on, the space politics are cut to the absolute bone, the sword fights are painfully generic when the goofball premise of the shields opens a space to make them into something totally unique. great sounding movie though.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Famethrowa posted:

are the female characters treated as actual humans or as sexy plot devices?

hey now, they're not just sexy, they also gently caress everything up and are often evil

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

theflyingexecutive posted:

It's such a Michael Schur thing that he wrote a whole show about how every person on Earth is actually inherently good and just wants to be friends with everybody else on Earth. Even the literal embodiments of evil who take sadistic joy in mutilating and dismembering people are redeemed by the end of the series. That's just the guy's philosophy.

i haven't seen much parks and rec but i'm having some trouble imagining who you could be referring to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Peccadillo posted:

I think claiming yourself a cancer survivor from having a schwannoma is like saying you survived the plague because you saw a rat in a dream once

Technical true but it's weird

E: whoop meant to put this all in the genchat thread, I have cancer not allowed to be mad at me

the internet says schwannoma's rarely, but sometimes, form in the penis. i hope yours is not in the penis