Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Modern Leper posted:

I'd really enjoyed Steven Universe, but never followed Steven Universe Future because I guess I felt that is was just going to be "Steven Universe: the College Years" or something. Halfway through the series now on HBO MAX, and it's pretty amazing how they've built off the original show.

It's set a few years after the original series (Steven's now 16), and centers on Steven's difficult finding a place for himself with the world saved and his friends moving into their own individual lives. It covers some pretty advanced territory with a lot of emotional nuance, but be warned that there is not one ounce of narrative subtlety (which makes sense considering the primary audience). I will say that the ability to spoon-feed these difficult concepts in a way that still feels emotionally true is a trick that I feel should not be underestimated.

I think it makes sense as a separate series, rather than as a sixth season on the original show -- it feels like SUF needed some clear distance to fully unpack and address the implications of everything the original series did and was about.
Yeah, it's a great epilogue but I wished it had some top-tier songs in it and it didn't really have them.
Thankfully, if I want to enjoy the best of Steven Universe, I'll just watch the movie again. That movie has possibly my favorite SU songs all in a row and is super easy to rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's the first thing I ever saw of his so I was not familiar with the amount of monologuing. Also, I think they cast Riley precisely for his incredibly good "active listening" face.
Like you, Midnight Mass was my first exposure to Mike Flanagan and it’s actually my favorite show of all time. The Leftovers is second. I think I just have a thing for shows filled with symbolism dealing with existential crises around death.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

smackfu posted:

Eternals was a pure standalone and no one cared about it.

Think the trick is making good movies.
Kinda crazy how much it added to the lore of the MCU with the Celestials and the giant corpse now sticking out of the Indian Ocean and every other piece of Marvel media just ignores it (aside from a tiny article seen on a computer screen in She-Hulk).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This is more creepy than that dude's joke post
Can never beat Harry Knowles' Blade 2 review, though.

http://legacy.aintitcool.com/node/11793

Just a small part of the worst review I have ever seen in my life posted:

...having attended the World Premiere of BLADE 2 last night, one inescapable thought crossed my mind during the movie. 10 to 1…. I believe Guillermo Del Toro eats pussy better than any man alive.

Watch his ‘HOUSE OF PAIN’ sequence in BLADE 2. BLADE 2 is the tongue, mouth, fingers and lips of a lover. The Audience is the clit. Watch your audience. This is where Guillermo Del Toro goes down on the audience. It starts with long licks with a nose bump on the joy button slowly. He smiles as he does this… Watching the audience begin to squirm, then he takes the audiences’ clit in his mouth and just licks it like crazy, the audience is ready, on that precipice, then calm. He backs off… long licks again, brings in a finger to massage a bit, licks from the bottom to the top… The audience is cooing… He has them, they want release. He acts like he’s going to give it to you, takes you right to the edge, the audiences’ backs arched, ready to cum…. Backs off pinching the nipples just so, his head bobbing up to say, "You like?" The audience shifts around needing release, he builds again… The pressure at a near boiling point… Each stroke and moment a hypersensitive place… Two fingers to the sweet spot, the audience is there… right there at that point… suddenly he’s relentless taking the audience through a rampage of orgasms… trying to get away, trying to escape… back back back, but he has you, and he’s never going to let you forget this moment, the audience was electric… Frenetically frothing… Guillermo hears them begging no more, when he decides to stop for a moment, there is that relaxed calm… The audience relaxes… labored breathing… a sated smile, WHEN SUDDENLY THE RELENTLESS BASTARD IS AT IT AGAIN!!!! You begin laughing, trying to push him away, but no… more pleasure, more joy, more fun… You can’t handle it, you start giggling and screaming… And it goes like this for quite some time, till at the end… The credits roll, the theater lights come up… You look at the screen, you realize you want that tongue again… You want that feeling again, and you watch it again and again, because drat he respects the clit!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kingtheninja posted:

Idk where this fits with the general opinion of the maze runner series, but my enjoyment of the movies starts with the last one and works backwards.
I just remember how the first one doesn't really prepare you for what the series is really about, which is zombies.

My memories of this series are also blending together with the silly Divergent movies, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

On the other hand, I was on an Arnold movie kick and never saw True Lies until a couple months ago. I liked the beginning, but once it became a creepy paranoid husband story in the middle I noped out hard. Just felt super gross.