Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Update on my scratched lenses: I emailed VRWave and asked what method for possible repair they recommend and they’re just flat out sending me a replacement lens, which kicks rear end! So it’s worth try before trying Polywatch.

Also, not sure if it was mentioned, but Synth Riders is free on Steam for the weekend for anyone (like me) who has never tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

The Power of the Dog was fine, but for the story to work for me, Cumberbatch’s character needed to be way more menacing. He never went higher than the level of “unpleasant jerk”.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I guess I will be the contrarian and say Fresh was...fine? I guess? It didn't go anywhere unexpected once the conceit of the movie was revealed. It just seems like extremely tame body horror that's going to get hype because people who don't watch hosed up movies are going to watch it and OMG this movie is so fuuuuuuuucked uuuuuuppp!!!!" There were much more explicit things in an episode of Hannibal and that was network TV.

Personally, I would have MUCH rather had the story of the woman who lost her leg to cannibalism, but then married and had kids with Sebastian Stan.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't think that's what it was going for either, but I think it will gain traction because some people will THINK that it's extreme given the subject matter. The best thing I can compare it to is the stories of "People are RUNNING out of the theaters VOMITING while watching Raw! IT'S INTENSE!!!" when really it wasn't at all.

Much like the previous person who said it, yes it's going for humor most of the time, and almost all of it fell flat for me. Plus, regardless of goriness, it would have been nice if the lead character losing her rear end had ANY kind of consequence whatsoever, other than her occasionally wincing or holding her side. They didn't even change her body's profile! Do SOMETHING with it!

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

I can't imagine them saying, 15 flaccid penises for an R rating, but 16 pushes you over into NC-17 territory.

Clearly you aren’t aware of how incredibly stupid and arbitrary the MPAA is.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

The only Zahler film I have seen is Bone Tomahawk and I don’t understand how anyone could watch it and have a reaction other than “Wow, that was really loving racist. This is definitely a writer/director I should never pay any attention to ever again.” I feel leery about some actors I like and respect for even agreeing to be in it.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

precision posted:

people do not always agree with every character they write. do you really "not understand" that or are you just exaggerating for effect

I am not even referring to a single character, I’m talking about the movie as a whole, the entire loving premise. A bunch of white guys in the old west who go save a white woman from savage subhuman indigenous dwellers, but it’s okay because there’s one native person who shows up for literally 10 seconds to say “yeah, they’re monsters not like us”, and that makes the entire movie focusing on how these white men are taming the west against these savage monsters totally not racist. gently caress all the way off with that poo poo.

There’s also been multiple posts in this very thread about how the politics Zahler puts into his character’s mouths align with his personal beliefs!

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Being outraged all the time just sounds utterly exhausting and not conducive to good mental health.

What about being outraged all the time about people being outraged?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

precision posted:

right but do you literally "not understand" people who disagree with this reading?

do you think Deliverance was racist against white Southerners?

do you think I Spit On Your Grave is misandrist????

I can't comment on movies I haven't seen.

But I have seen Bone Tomahawk, and yes, I cannot fathom why anyone would excuse the movie's racism and come away with "this is cool and good and I want to see more of that this filmmaker has to say."

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

This will sound like a fake question but I am honestly interested in your reply: do you think there is or can be any value in works of art whose worldview you don't agree with? Really think about it.

Or to put it another way, is there a difference between art appreciation and the personal enjoyment of art? Does all willing consumption of art amount to an endorsement of it?

These are imo profound questions that I wrestle with, well into my 5th decade. I'm suspicious of anyone with a facile answer to these questions. But that's me, and maybe I'm wrong.

Absolutely, and I wrestle with it as well, well into my 4th decade.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I take that back, all movies outrage me and should be cancelled. I am an outrage machine. I am fueled by outrage and Sarah Z videos.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

precision posted:

settle down, beavis lmao

I can’t. Too outraged.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

“Settle down” says the guy who posted 9 times on this page ranting about a YouTuber and perceived “cancel culture hive mind” lmao

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

THIS page? Wow, don't you have egg on your face. Canceled.

gently caress! Hoisted by my own petard!

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

God dammit! I was just about to resub to watch S2! Should I not bother, or is it worth watching even if it will never be resolved? (Not that resolution is what I’m looking for from that show)

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Wait, the first 4 episodes of Stranger Things S4 are the ones WITHOUT unnecessary padding? Oof, I am not going to like the rest of this season, then...

I think the biggest issue is that they saddled themselves with some boring characters that they have no idea what to do with (Nancy, Jonathan, Mike) so every time they cut from fun times with Dustin and Steve to the whiny charisma-vacuum that is Finn Wolfhard, I immediately tune out.

Sure, Hopper is in a Russian prison, but let's spend more time on how Nancy is gonna get that HOT SCOOP for the loving HIGH SCHOOL NEWSPAPER.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Spent the entirety of Season 4 of Stranger Things believing it was the last season and was very confused at the end until I googled and found out there’s actually going to be 5 seasons.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I declare Sandman to be “fine”, which is exactly my feeling about the comic. The height of the season is definitely Hob’s story in the second half of episode 6, which makes sense since that’s one of the best issues of the comic.

If anything, it suffers for staying TOO close to the source material, because all my issues with the show regarding unevenness and characterization are issues I already had with the comic.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

https://youtu.be/yzH4CDmZ3h8

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before I make plans to get together with people to watch it, is it possible to watch Weird ad free? If not, how frequent are ad breaks?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I thought 1899 completely poo poo the bed in the second half of the season.

You can’t simultaneously tell me everything is a simulation that is about to reset so nothing matters but also expect me to be emotionally invested in dramatic scenes s of simulation characters “dying”.

Also, sucks to draw the short straw before entering the simulation and having to be the main character in the rape storyline. Like, what the gently caress?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Skinamarink was...fine. Good atmosphere, but definitely 20-30 minutes too long. I get the feeling that the writer/director got so many people saying "Your short film is so good, you should make it a feature", but he didn't actually expand it, he just made it MORE and it feels completely bloated. It also seems tailor made for the think piece/youtube video "SKINAMARINK EXPLAINED" crowd, but without anyone involved realizing that it is possible to make your story too open for interpretation to the point to the point where your film isn't even about anything anymore. Lore obsessives will eat it up for years to come.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Skinamarink would work best if you fell asleep with the TV on and woke up in the middle of the night with it showing, saw about 10 minutes of it while half asleep and then in the morning could find no evidence of it ever existing.

But that's not really something achievable for a film.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

This rules.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

doctorthefonz posted:

RIP Lance Reddick ugh he was only 60 too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KVyRqloGmk

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes on Amazon Prime is absolutely delightful.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

distortion park posted:

Why do the subtitles make a difference?

If I wanted to READ I’d go to SCHOOL!

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I will honestly never get tired of watching One Cut of the Dead with a group that knows absolutely nothing about it. This was my 4th time around and it’s still just so much fun.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Superrodan posted:

Is this streaming somewhere? I keep getting recommended it but its never on any of the services I use.

One Cut of the Dead is exclusive to Shudder.

Edit: also available to rent on Amazon/Vudu

Brocktoon fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 7, 2023

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

nonathlon posted:

Didn't know about the French one.

No, I meant "One Cut of the Dead: Mission Remote", which isn't a full length feature, but is by the original cast and is still really good.

The French remake is supposed to be bad.

Is Mission Remote streaming anywhere? I’ve been wanting to see it but can’t find it.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I love seeing movies in the theater and it’s sucks that I have basically had to give it up because nothing I want to see plays around here. I have 4-5 theaters within 10 miles of me, all of which have 10-15 screens, but at any given point I only have about 7 movies to choose from because they all double up on the latest Disney/Marvel/DC/Transformers/FatF movies. It’s loving ridiculous with 50-75 screens that close to me I would still have to go all the way into NYC to see even Beau Is Afraid or Asteroid City.

There used to be a nice indie theater one town over, but it closed during COVID and reopened as another major multiplex. It sucks. I know I am an anomaly in regard to what makes them money, but is it too much to rear end for ONE theater that plays something even slightly off-mainstream? I just recognize that franchise films aren’t really my bag anymore, but also just like going to the theater. :smith:

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Same with, like, Prometheus. When the movie came out, nerds were like “what is the black goo?!” And, well, it’s obviously some kind of alien mutagen. “But what IS it???” The filmmakers eventually released an infographic explaining that the black goo is a dark-coloured liquid made of chemicals.

I had plenty of problems with Prometheus, but the lack of a detailed explanation of what the black goo is was not one of them.

But I am reminded of a video I think I saw linked here of a woman giving a negative review for Andor because “there’s no Easter eggs for me to analyze and speculate on! You’re not letting us content creators do their job!” which made me profoundly sad.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Was that women that insane hack rear end idiot Grace randolf?

Upon investigation I can confirm that it was.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Twin Peaks rules, even when it is terrible.

Don’t forget to watch The Missing Pieces between Fire Walk With Me and season 3! (If you can find it)

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Every week Hulu adds another smaller indie movie that I have been dying to see: Spin Me Round, Infinity Pool, Swallow, which is great because the indie theater near me closed down during Covid. That plus the FX shows are more than enough for me to keep the service.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I watched No Strings AttachedHard Feelings

Naked CGI Jennifer Lawrence beating up kids was one of the most bizarre things I've seen in a movie. Uncanny valley breached.

I haven’t seen it but when it came out didn’t she do a bunch of interviews talking about filming it naked and it was pretty clear it’s not CGI?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

My take on Skinamarink is that clearly the writer/director showed people his short film and supporters said “This is great! You should expand it into a feature!” But he didn’t have anything else to say, so he didn’t expand it, just EXTENDED it, making it way too long and obtuse. The mood was great, just not sustainable for 2 hours.

I also feel like some writer/directors need to learn there is such a thing as TOO open for interpretation. When your film can potentially be about anything, your film is actually about nothing.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

It works for literally any movie, really.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I loved The Outwaters so it's hard for me to throw stones at Skinamarink

I almost mentioned The Outwaters in relation to Skinamarink as I thought it also had a good vibe but was WAY too long and lacked focus, but I figured no one would know it.

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate that both movies exist and do not regret watching them, but I can’t really say I liked them. I am definitely interested in seeing what both directors do next, but just hope they are reigned in a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

… but I will never feel scared during a fake documentary

Watch Savageland and let me know if you still feel this way. Pretty sure you can get it free on YouTube.