Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Infidelicious posted:

Can you derail the Discord for 6 hours with "Rommel was an incompetent War Criminal"

Asking for a friend.

Well, he either wasn't the so genius leader some uninformed armchair generals says he's been......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Preview of the next two divisions is up:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1611600/view/5311434706135046521

quote:

Hello commander,

Get ready! The launch of two brand-new divisions, NATO’s 8th U.S. Infantry Division (Mechanized) and the Warsaw Pact Soviet 39th Guards Motorized Rifle Division, as well as the new Loop 10v10 map, is around the corner.

These two new battlegroups will form part of the Mileston NEY, our second milestone, described in last week’s blog post. And named after "the Bravest of the Brave", legendary Napoleonic Marshal Michel Ney, of 1812 fame.

Strap in and read up on all the new goodies and units you’ll soon get to play with!

The 8th U.S. Infantry Division (Mechanized)

Although an American mechanized infantry division, the 8th U.S. Infantry Division is built with the same composition of infantry and tank battalions as an armored division. It has a different ratio, though, deploying more infantry. In terms of WARNO gameplay, this battlegroup features more and cheaper infantry slots and fewer (and more expensive) tank slots compared to the 3rd Armored.

The new American formation doesn’t use any Bradley IFVs. Instead, its soldiers rely completely on the more venerable M113A3 armored personnel carrier - but also more spacious! This means no fire teams, but fully equipped Mech. Rifles squads. These can either be deployed with Dragon II ATGMs (the same as found in low numbers in 3rd Armored) or as a lighter squad fielding a LAW but transported to the battlefield with the M113A Dragon variant (which carries both a .50 call Heavy Machine Gun and a Dragon II ATGM).

The newest main battle tanks were destined for the 3rd Armored, with the 8th U.S. Infantry Division relying more on the M1 Abrams, with only a few M1A1 available (but no M1A1HA). One of the division’s tanks battalions even kept their M60A3 Patton up to our war year of 1989; this tank unit is therefore also available. In the artillery category, the new division has more choice compared to its armored predecessor, being able to field the M125 81mm self-propelled mortars and the M110A2 heavy self-propelled 203mm howitzer.

The REC tab introduces the Rangers LRRP as an elite recon squad available with both trucks or helos as transport options. The rotary air wing of the 8th U.S. Infantry Division is completely filled with the Bell AH-1 Cobra, meaning no Apaches. Looking to the skies, the aircraft include the ubiquitous F-16 Fighting Falcon with various load-out variants, such as fighter and cluster bomber. There is also the improved F-111F as a tactical bomber and the EF-111 Raven SEAD.

Let’s welcome the Germans
In the event of a Soviet invasion in WARNO, the 8th U.S. Infantry Division would have immediately detached one of its tank battalions to reinforce the 11th Armored Cavalry to delay the offensive. To make up for this, West German territorial troops (this means they have a locked veterancy, and only basic trucks as transports) in the form of a Jäger battalion would be seconded to the Americans. The German units, and support weapons, are spread out over several categories. The 8th U.S. Infantry Division will be the first time you get to play with some German units, including:

INF - Jäger Füh (Commander), Jäger (light infantry) and Heimatschützen (home guard).
REC - Jäger Aufkl (heavy scout squad).
AA - FlaRak. Redeye (MANPAD team).
AIR - Alpha Jet - (light bomber).
Additional German units will be added later (these include Milan F1, Kan. Jagdpanzer, 120mm Mortar, etc.)

39th Guards Motorized Rifle Division in-game

Being at the forefront of the Cold War, the 39th Guards Motorized Rifle Division would be part of any invasion and march into West Germany as one of the first Soviet divisions. This formation is equipped with the usual complement of T-80 main battle tanks. Its infantry battalions were roughly equally distributed (three each) between BMP-1, BMP-2 & BMP-3 (tracked IFVs), and BTR-60 (wheeled APC).

In the Logistics category, the division receives an extra command unit with the fast (and armored) BTR-60PBK. You also get to play with the supply Mi-8TZ helicopter. No new infantry squads or teams, but there will be more BTR-60PB APCs as fast transports, as well as the latest of Soviet IFVs, the BMP-3, to counter the American Bradley. The BM-27 Uragan can be deployed as a new artillery unit.

Although the TNK tab loses its T-80U variant, it introduces the efficient MT-LB SHTURM-S self-propelled ATGM carrier. The division’s anti-aircraft forces see the Tunguska replaced with the iconic ZSU-23-4M3 Biryusa (also known by its older variant’s name, Shilka). They also receive the BRDM-2 STRELA-1 light SAM unit.
Just in 1989, the divisional helicopter squadron was increased to a regiment, providing 39GvMSD with much more helicopter support than another division. Ingame, it means more and cheaper slots than its predecessor, as well as a whole slew of Mi-8s and Mi-24s, with a variety of load-outs.

Say hello to the Germans
Just like its American counterpart, the 39th Guards Motorized Rifle Division gets some help from its own local German allies. With the proximity of the Inner German border, East German Grenztruppen (border guards) units are featured, including:

INF - UAZ-469 SPG-9 (fire support jeep)
REC - Grenzer (recon infantry)
AIR - MiG-23MF fighter and Su-22M-4 ground attack planes.

New 10v10 map

Loop will be the 5th map delivered to the community since the launch of this Early Access.
This map has been designed for intense 10v10 battles, covering a surface area of 90km²!

Loop is made up of a large river splitting in to smaller channels with a peninsula in-between. This area contain 4 command zones to be secured to control the battlefield.
The river first flows close to one side's deployment zone, then move away, acting as a real bissector of the map, then closes on the opposite side's deployment zone. Its layout creates many unique smaller battlefields.
It will be up to each Commander to select its attack lane depending on his battlegroup and planned strategy.

Urban or industrial areas have been distributed evenly all over the map. These areas have a high tactical value, be they in a command zone or not, and players will have to take them into account to achieve victory.

Regarding the map's topology, it is made of three central plateaux. Keep in mind that plateaux bring the defender a major advantage. Therefore, the one holding the center will be able to defend more easily.

We are eager to watch the first replays of the battles soon to be fought on Loop!

See you on the battlefield!

We’d love to hear what you think!

Join the awesome (and passionate) growing WARNO community. You can check the latest news on the Steam News page or visit the Steam Forums. Join the excellent Discord server, the new Reddit page and Instagram.

See you!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I'll say it -- I love 10v10s. Easy to jump into, the number of players reduces the pressure, and its chaotic like Battlefield in Rts form.

Anyways the new divisions should add some variety and make inferior tanks more common too so thatll be fun

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I wonder what the German recon each side is getting is like

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

I wonder what the German recon each side is getting is like

I'm picturing that video of batshit insane German helicopter pilots flying inches off of the ground, pulling loops around bridges and through forests and poo poo, and will surely be disappointed by reality.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Probably nothing fancy. Grenzer is probably going to be low quality, cheap, recon with just rifles and RPG. While the jager recon'd just be full rifle squad with a recon tag.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Arrath posted:

I'm picturing that video of batshit insane German helicopter pilots flying inches off of the ground, pulling loops around bridges and through forests and poo poo, and will surely be disappointed by reality.

Never not post Cold War Bo-105 action.

https://youtu.be/kly8soer0hY

https://youtu.be/2FLNKQjtIJ8

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Content: I encountered a bug/balance problem last game. NATO player was sending single empty M35s into my rear areas, driving right up to my CVs for spotting, and then cluster bombing them. It was extremely effective, but gamey as gently caress. My biggest issue was that both times, the M35 drove right past BMP2s and T80s that opened fire on it, but like, not even in the correct direction. I suspect something bugged with that.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

How come mine never did this in Wargame?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

MrYenko posted:

Content: I encountered a bug/balance problem last game. NATO player was sending single empty M35s into my rear areas, driving right up to my CVs for spotting, and then cluster bombing them. It was extremely effective, but gamey as gently caress. My biggest issue was that both times, the M35 drove right past BMP2s and T80s that opened fire on it, but like, not even in the correct direction. I suspect something bugged with that.

yeah its bizarre, they shoot where it was when you gave the order rather than track it. Its very wtf :psyduck:

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Picked this up the other day and I have been playing a lot of skirmishes. I can beat the AI up to Very Hard when playing as Russia but get stomped by Mediums as NATO. Not sure what's up with that.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

New content just hit

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1611600/announcements/detail/3120434024090228457

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lol, isn't that the Air Wolf theme on the first video.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Deptfordx posted:

Lol, isn't that the Air Wolf theme on the first video.

And it is only improved by the addition.

:colbert:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

so how does this stack up against Regiments?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Really enjoying the game so far it just is visually so impressive all around. It desperately needs content but I trust that will come. I just hope they fill out the single player campaign stuff like they did with Steel Division.

Online team stacking is a real issue right now, every 10v10 match I join one side is completely filled out with mostly level 10+ players and the other side is half full with a bunch of 3-5 level players. Also had a match where the opposing side launched the game 10v9 although we still ended up winning so take that.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
East German 7th Panzer and West German 5th Panzer should be released soon.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Picked up the game as its discounted and happy to wait for launch but I did boot it up to try. The QOL from SD is really welcome but I kind of wish the front line system was in?

The soundtrack absolutely slaps though and was not what I was expecting for this game.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Patch is released! Beast and Best Germany both playable now, and also you can make the unit icons way more readable by changing them to display unit name only under icon aggregation

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

quote:

DAVOUT Recap

First things first: as we previously explained, one reason for the DAVOUT milestone coming a little later than excepted was because of a large chunk of modeling that had to be done. All the Bundeswehr’s units needed to be readied within a very short amount of time.

All done and dusted, what can you expect? Of course, the Germans have arrived in full force. Some individual units were teased in our previous NEY milestone, but DAVOUT features the first complete pair of German divisions, armored no less, from both NATO’s Bundeswehr and Warsaw Pact’s Nationale Volksarmee.

The West German 5. Panzerdivision brings a host of new units, from the Leopard 1A5 to the powerful Leopard 2A3 MBT, Marder IFV, Panzergrenadier infantry, Alouette II recon helicopters, Unimog trucks, Marder Roland SAM and Gepard 1A1 SPAAG amongst other. The Luftwaffe deploys its share of airplanes, including the F-104G fighter and the state-of-the-art Tornado IDS strike aircraft.
The East German 7. Panzerdivision is well-trained but uses slightly older equipment, including “vanilla” T-72 and T-72M, as well as T-55 variants such as the modernized T-55AM2 and T-55AM2B. Other units are ZSU-23-4 Shilka SPAAG, Czech-made RM-70 MLRS and T813 supply trucks. Air support is provided by Su-22M-4, MiG-21PFM and MiG-23MF.

The West German M113GA1 currently uses the American counterpart model. We are aware and will fix this as soon as possible; the specific model is still being worked on. Another known omission is the WarPac Mi-2 helicopter: this model is currently not ready. In the meantime, it is being replaced by an armed Mi-8 in the transport role.

Mind you, the German dialogue and acknowledgments are currently not fully integrated. However, this is planned to happen soon!

A small disclaimer

Please note: the national squad leader's names are presently placeholder and will remain so until WARNO’s official release. We will open recruitment lists for each nation at a specified time in the future.

If you are unfamiliar with this practice: the recruitment list is a nice little Eugen tradition harking back to the Wargame series and which we continued with Steel Division 2. It means that players can provide their name suggestions - with some caveats and only if they are authentic to the requested nation. It also means you get to have your own name in the game! When the recruitment drive spins up, we’ll let you know!

New Geisa Map

DAVOUT update also brings a new battlefield for you to play in. The new Geisa map is featured in 4v4 only for now, but we are testing it in 10v10 too. We'll keep you updated. We previewed WARNO’s 6th map previously in this blog post here.

Geisa is massive, it being 12 kilometers wide and 9 kilometers deep (Loop 10v10 is 6 km deep in comparison). It is relatively plain, but with three elevated locations in the center. We designed the map to give you plenty of different tactical options depending on the topology: from mountains to forests and some small lakes. Don’t be lulled by the swooning late summer atmosphere (and lightning) - some brutal battles are bound to happen.

DAVOUT patchnotes

Check out DAVOUT’s patchnotes here!

MAPS:
New map Geisa available in 4v4.

FEATURES:
Changed the icon of command points in the zone to match the one at the top of the screen.
Added more audio cues in the menus.

FIXES:
Fixed unit labels being invisible when multiple units are in the same building and when using the "Diplay unit names only" option. Note: right now we're displaying the icons. We're working on displaying the names instead.
Fixed some units not stopping to fire on targets when in Hunt mode and when Smart Hold Fire was enabled.
Fixed helicopters not taking into account their altitude to determine their line of sight.
Fixed "Short" on-foot pathfind being the fastest route instead of the shortest. Infantry will now follow straighter paths instead of avoiding forests.
Fixed pinning a unit in the Armory not working as intended.
Fixed most cases of helicopters flying through forests. It will still happen on short distances (<500m).
Fixed a rare bug that would make it impossible to select units.
Fixed disappearing decks at first launch after an update when a used unit had some changes (for instance, Veteran XP not available anymore to a unit). Now only the affected unit will be deleted from the deck.
Fixed the Mi-24V [RKT]'s rocket loadout from 10 to 20 (as fitting the model) plus price changed from 130 to 160 accordingly.
Fixed Su-25 [RKT]'s 80mm lodaout from a wrong 64 to the proper 80 rockets plus price increased from 95 to 115 accordingly.
Fixed the MG-3 gunner's manner of holding the gun.

GENERIC:
Normalization pass on units' optics.
Normalization pass on supply vehicles' load, in order to even it across al unit cards plus some price changes.
Overall adjustements on helicopter prices.
Decreased all F-111/Su-24/Tornado tactical bombers (HE, cluster, napalm) max card per deck to 1.

See you on the battlefield

Enough reading, time for some much-wanted action! Get ready to deploy, commander. Let us know what you think of DAVOUT. We can’t wait to hear your feedback and comments.

Join the awesome (and passionate) ever-growing WARNO community. Check the latest news on the Steam News page or visit the Steam Forums. Get to together with other players on the excellent Discord server, https://www.reddit.com/r/warno/Reddit page[/url], or Instagram.

See you on the battlefield, commander. Over and out!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It’s weird the models aren’t ready because it definitely seemed like they just used the same wargame models. The T-72/80 models in particular look exactly the same because the turrets & ERA always had a strange look to them.

Anyways is there a good place to find goons for this? I haven’t played yet and it’s mostly cause I 1. Don’t really remember how to play since ALB and am therefore terrible and 2. gently caress solo queuing

EDIT: Discord link in the OP? Who would’ve guessed!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What does the battlegroup/platoon function do? Does it pregroup units?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

What does the battlegroup/platoon function do? Does it pregroup units?

It groups unit...but not in a numbered control group. It's weird. Not sure if they changed it since release.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I am so bad at this game

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Big same but I can't stop playing it.

There's a mod called Cinnamons which slows the game down and tries to work in realistic speeds and autonomy of units and I much prefer it. I find it helps with being a bit overwhelmed.

Was hoping we would get more PACT divisions but that's all we're getting, but all three Soviet ones are quite good.

E: I wish they'd added the fourth weapon slot for units like in SD2.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 19, 2022

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
We all are bad.

They posted an Army General Preview, and said it will have coop.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1611600/view/3397421255148038941

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm very much looking forward to that. Army General in SD2 was very good once I wrapped my head around it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I really enjoy Warno but don't care much to play online so I'm waiting on Army General to release.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

So um, how accessible is WARNO for RTS-babies like myself?

Years ago I tried getting into Wargame Air Land Battle and Red Dragon because I wanted to like the concept, but I found it to be a little too unforgiving and obtuse. I tried a few different times to tackle the learning curve but honestly I was in law school then and didn’t have huge amounts of time for gaming.

Recently I picked up this game called Regiments, which seems to be similar to those games, but much simpler and slower paced. I really like it, and I’m not terrible at it, so it’s got me thinking…am I better prepared for another run at a Eugen game?

If it matters I’m definitely not interested in becoming an awesome multiplayer RTS wizard. I just like moving my army mans around and making them fight.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Warno is pretty similar to Air Land Battle and Red Dragon but I feel like if you got to grips with Regiments you could definitely handle it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Warno is far more micro intensive than Regiments, if you're planning to play mostly single player you can turn down the AI difficulty well you learn how to play.

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008
If you are doing just SP skirmish and probably in the upcoming Army General mode, you can also pause or slow down time. I honestly don't remember if it existed in their previous titles, but I've been using it quite a lot when the AI teammates falter and I have to divide my attention. Or to just watch the pretty explosions.

Gabrielite fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 19, 2022

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The micro-ness, unit amounts, and ranges of SD1 was just right for me. SD2 increased everything and I hated it. WARNO is back to that level of just masses of units and it just doesn't feel as intuitive as SD1 was.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
They added platoons back to WARNO so the micro is back closer to wargame levels I feel

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Appreciate the info, friends! I think I’ll keep “practicing” with Regiments for now and pick up Warno the next time it’s on sale

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

There is an overhaul mod out already called Cinnamons or something which slows the pace down to realistic? Speeds and I quite like it.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Do these games still require a separate login to play online? I hated that about the earlier wargames

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

free hubcaps posted:

Do these games still require a separate login to play online? I hated that about the earlier wargames

Pretty sure its all thru steam now

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Upcoming changes to the combat model here.

quote:

Looking at combat in WARNO in its current form, we weren’t satisfied with the binary aspect of what happens when two units engage each other. The outcome is always the same: either one or the other gets destroyed. Suppression, resistance to it, and the management of units in combat feel too trivial and fleeting.

We want to anchor suppresion at the heart the combat, to emphasize the role it plays on the battlefield. We want to offer more variety when two units meet and be more realistic in the process. Combat should also offer the opportunity to break a unit’s morale instead of just beating the unit to death, rinse, and repeat. Routing a unit should be as much a valid outcome as its complete destruction.

A fresh approach, a more realistic combat system, would offer several benefits over the old format:
  • It would make combat more realistic and WARNO as a whole more authentic.
  • Gives the player a larger margin of error during combat. This allows them to recover units, not simply lose them.
  • Increase a unit’s Time to Kill (TTK) ratio, thus lowering micro-management and the game's overall pace.

Sounds promising. I think reducing the amount of micro-management will really help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Popete posted:

Upcoming changes to the combat model here.

Sounds promising. I think reducing the amount of micro-management will really help.

Yeah I'd be all for that. My biggest gripe in games like this is looking away for a moment and coming back to find my tank platoon evaporated.