Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Yeah, those seem like good changes. The unit traits are also a pretty good addition (from SD2) that should give some variety in how to build the decks and on how to differentiate some divisions. Pretty excited for Oudinot patch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.
As the Wikicat and Eugen obsessive since SD1 (they added General Maczek and I was instantly hooked, because he's such an underappreciated figure in the history of warfare, on top of being just awesome), I'm working on the Warno Wiki. In particular, because we get COMMUNIST POLAND eventually!

However, I hit a snag: The Wargame Modding Suite does not support the new TGV format for exporting and so I have to rely on NinjaRipper to get the textures out and it's a pain. Anyone technically minded able to update that part of the suite? Everything else works, .dic extraction, raw file extraction, it's just the texture format that's giving me grief.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
New patch is out, Oudinot.

quote:

FEATURES:
  • new PACT division: Unternehmen Zentrum (classified as DDR since its main component was NVA's 1. MSD)
  • new NATO division: Berlin Command (classified as British since West-Berlin was, at least administratively, attached to NORTHAG)
  • added amphibious capacity
  • QoL improvement regarding the way zones controled by a player are displayed
  • it is no longer required to a CV to stay on a zone to control it after it was secured
  • game mode is now displayed in the replays' list
  • the RETURN key now allows to validate some windows (nickname change, invite code's validation, ...)
  • adding a screen accessible from the lobby displaying detailed informations about the map scenario
  • adding a a health & moral gauge in units' label
  • improving the available supply remaining in supply units' label
  • better conquest points' distribution between players depending on the number of zones controled by each one
  • it is now possible to change the shortcut for helicopters' altitude change

Details on thew new combat overhaul here.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It does feel different. There’s a bit more duking it out now on the basis of few games I played.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is unit speed still "play Yakety Sax while charging around the battlefield" fast, or did they slow that down any?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It’s blazing fast.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Yuck. Guess I'll stick with SD2. :(

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
I feel like WARNO has the least intuitive UI of eugens games, trying to meaningfully control your units is just PITA that is further made more difficult by the speed and map size.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I really want to like WARNO but the scale is a bit beyond my ability. Sometimes I lose track of what's going on in Regiments, and then I watch say VulcanHD in a WARNO tourney and the scale of it, gently caress man.

Can I do compstomps with friends against multiple ai?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Arrath posted:

I really want to like WARNO but the scale is a bit beyond my ability. Sometimes I lose track of what's going on in Regiments, and then I watch say VulcanHD in a WARNO tourney and the scale of it, gently caress man.

Yes.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sweet.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

WARNO really needs a PVE campaign that gives an incentive to spare units for future use, the artificial capture point mechanic and lack of easy access to unit situational status really drives to ”F it, Imma just select everyone and click forward”

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If their campaign is anything like SD2 then it will have unit persistence. Well I do enjoy jumping in for a game against the AI I'm really waiting for the campaign.

Game is absolutely gorgeous though.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The new iteration of the UI sort of help since it now display the HP and suppression status of all units so you can see these information without having to select individual units. Team game also tends to have smaller frontage for each player, so it's easier to keep track of things.

Campaign with persistent unit is the last thing on their roadmap. Though I hope they really improve it from how it was implemented in SD2.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Valtonen posted:

WARNO really needs a PVE campaign that gives an incentive to spare units for future use, the artificial capture point mechanic and lack of easy access to unit situational status really drives to ”F it, Imma just select everyone and click forward”

This is what I really liked about the Operations in Regiments.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Arrath posted:

I recommend 10v10s to dip your toes into mp. Smaller frontage, no pressure, lower income so you have less units to deal with.

#1 tip to any new player: you almost certainly dont have enough recon on the field. vision is the KEY

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like that they went back to the Wargame zone system where you just need to cap a zone once and not leave a leader in it, minimizes CV sniping as a strategy.

It's still fun to sneak a spec ops squad behind enemy lines via helicopter and then snipe units driving to the front.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

New cv changes are excellent and I'm look forward to the combat update which will slow the game down

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I played several matches over the weekend and I had a good time but boy do I wish I could play it at 0.75 speed. Slow is just too slow but normal feels like watching an episode of something thrown up onto Facebook at 1.35x to get by content detection.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Dev note on vet changes:

quote:

There is some issue with tooltips what can legitimately generate incomprehesion so I wont blame ppl.
Same goes from traits.
This will be fixed, sorry for the inconvenience.
Also now there is a different veterancy for FS and Normal units.

On the vet topic, if you feel the TTK is super high with your full vet 1 army, its because stress debuff make them shoot like a novice on a battlefield would react : shooting without even checking target because he is scared for his life.

Loss of cohesion debuff (can change) :
Cohesion high (stress bar <25%) : +10% turret rotation and chassis rotation speed
Cohesion Normal (Stress bar >25%) : -25% accuracy
Cohesion mediocre (Stress bar >50%) : -45% accuracy, +25% reload time, -25% speed, -25% turret rotation speed, -25% chassis rotation speed,
Cohesion low (Stress bar >75%) : -70% accuracy, +50% reload time, -50% speed, -50% turret rotation speed, -50% chassis rotation speed.

VET 3 units will rarely end in the "mediocre" or "low" stat if you use them wisely, will VET 1 one will be constantly loosing effeciency without a command unit close to them.
__Its super important to have a command around and I personnaly use a lot of CV TANK now to support any VET 1 / VET 2 units you send in battle.__
As a result, I'm a big fan of the 1st UK div now, because I can bring a massive amount of full vet Chieftain or have a lot of them starting at VET2 to fight around a Command Challenger with VET 3 stats.

On the helo / planes / AA, we are aware and working on it.
Its like all new systems, it need adjustement and we never wanted you to be helo/plane spammed constantly.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
There's a fuckin' Wargame spiritual successor??? And it's out?? And I somehow never heard?

Is it good?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

its getting there

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

I have had a lot of fun with it playing organized 2v2s with friends. While the initial offering was a bit barebones, the recent additions and changes to mechanics and the now somewhat abundant content in the form of units/divisions and maps make this a pretty good European Escalation 2

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It's not even out and I want more PACT divisions, I'm struggling to like the East Germans so give me some Poles.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Is matchmaking still bad?
Cause that is the major reason why I never got around to enjoying Red Dragon. Due to family reasons, playing with goons was hard to manage and that was the only way to avoid getting into bad teams.
Is steel balalaika still around?

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

There have been some gameplay videos released every now and then about Broken Arrow, but no release date.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hazamuth posted:

There have been some gameplay videos released every now and then about Broken Arrow, but no release date.

There will be a Broken Arrow demo like next week!

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

drat, must have missed that hard. Just quickly skimmed to see if they had a release date on the Steam page when I made the last post. Nice to be able to get a hands on experience on it!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Broken Arrow demo should be out today

Here is a playthrough of it. One single player demo mission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrA_LrL02LA

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Here's some new Army General news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sK_u-d8aXQ
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1611600/discussions/0/3784750482952785537/

quote:

Army General Update
Hello Commander,

In last week’s DevBlog, we lifted the veil on some solo play content, the tactical OPERATIONS. Today, we will bring you some news about the long-awaited ARMY GENERAL mode.

In earlier DevBlogs, we already gave you a sneak peek of the two huge maps which will be the setting for our various scenarios: one centered on the Fulda-Frankfurt axis, the other on the Kassel-Paderborn axis. What have we been up to since then? Why the delay? Don’t worry, we haven’t been idle, far from it.

What is Army General?

Let’s get back to basics for those among you who might have joined our community recently.
Army General mode will feature turn-based wargame campaigns, playable in single-player, versus, or cooperatively. You’ll play on massive maps with a host of different formations and units, simulating a particular offensive or large-scale operation. We used the historical order of battles, with each division portrayed as they were in 1989, including corps or army assets. These orders of battle (formational structures) will be realistic and accurate down to the platoon level. In comparison, Steel Division 2 only went down to the company level.

How many campaigns? We’ve planned four, but are considering more by creating smaller additional scenarios focusing on a specific theater, timeframe or units of the battlefield. See those as “Army General snapshots” with more specific, intermediary objectives.

But where is it?

As of now, we’ve got a functioning campaign featuring the early stage of the Soviet assault on Fulda and through the Kinzig valley, based on Steel Division 2‘s Army General mode. Although it works well as it is, we do not consider it satisfactory enough to be released, because we want more than just porting SD2’s AG mode to WARNO. We want to improve it. We want to offer a new experience, as well as explore new movement and combat mechanics. Right now, starting over again, is when we can try new stuff.

Battle Plan

One of the main improvement from SD2 lies with the Battle Plan phase, that is once a combat is engaged when each player selects which of his battalions will take part in it.
In SD2, we initially allowed only three battalions to take part in a combat, which we felt were too few, then increased it to five … which some considered too much. In WARNO, the Battle Plan will be split between several roles, meaning all battalions won’t be competing for the same slots as in SD2.

Battle slots will be divided 4 categories:
COMBAT BATTALIONS will be given two slots for either/both armor and infantry
ARTILLERY SUPPORT can only be filled with one artillery battalion
AIR SUPPORT can only be filled with one close air support squadron
AUXILIARY SUPPORT will get one slot to be filled with either recon, engineer, HQ, … or any battalion not included in the previous one

Therefore, most battle should be fought with 3-4 battalions, while only the biggest one will field 5 when all types of units are represented. And that way, the often shunned “auxiliary” battalions from SD2 will get a bigger role since they won’t be competing for the same slots with more powerful “combat” battalions.

Air Support

Another improvement we’re bringing concerns the management of air assets.

Unlike ground (or hovering) units, air squadron will only be featuring a fragment of their real strength … but they will retain it throughout the campaign, the balance of force representing planes in reserve or in short repair to replenish it. Squadrons won’t be assigned permanently either: at the start of every turn, each side will be assigned a number of available air missions depending of their level of air superiority. You can use them in your phase or keep them for the enemy one, but they’ll be removed anyway at the end of the turn, giving way to others the next turn.

Strategical choices

We also want the player to be more involved in devising the campaign’s strategy.
While in SD2, players would acquire reinforcements with Action Points; in WARNO reinforcements will be fixed, arriving according to schedule.
Some reinforcements though, can only be accessed through strategical decisions, and thus not all at once. For example, as a NATO commander planning a counter-attack against the tip of the Soviet offensive, will you rather be granted the entire 82nd Airborne Division to be dropped behind enemy lines, or the powerful 12. Panzerdivision to strike its Southern flank?
Other such choices will be given, some involving the use of technological (satellite, spy plane, SINGIT, …) or human (sabotage, special forces, …) assets, all with immediate effect on the strategic level.

See you on the battlefield

All right! That’s the first batch of Operations done. We are still working on the next series; it might take some time before we can shine a light on these. Regardless, we are looking forward to hearing what you think!

Don’t forget to join the passionate WARNO community. Check the latest news on the Steam News page or visit the Steam Forums. Get together with other players on either the excellent Discord server, Reddit page, YouTube or our Instagram.

See you on the battlefield, commander!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Army General mode is what I'm waiting for, sounds like some interesting changes to the SD2 formula.

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008
Since SD2 was the only Eugen game I didn't get, I have a question about the Army General Mode. When you choose to do a Tactical Battle, does it make a ProcGen map based on the terrain from the strategic map or is it just pulling a "close enough" map from the map list and setting spawn zone borders? Because that's what it looked like in the video.

I'm assuming the latter because it seems like Eugen would be talking up ProcGen tech a bit more in the developer updates, but they haven't, so seems unlikely to me.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Gabrielite posted:

Since SD2 was the only Eugen game I didn't get, I have a question about the Army General Mode. When you choose to do a Tactical Battle, does it make a ProcGen map based on the terrain from the strategic map or is it just pulling a "close enough" map from the map list and setting spawn zone borders? Because that's what it looked like in the video.

I'm assuming the latter because it seems like Eugen would be talking up ProcGen tech a bit more in the developer updates, but they haven't, so seems unlikely to me.

SD2 just selected from skirmish maps. Now; granted, there were a good-ish amount of maps and the generator rotated the maps 180 degrees or cropped them /widened them based on battle size, But since certain areas in AG map used certain maps Especially in Fate of Finland which is very much holding key choke points there was a fatugye where you would be going through fight #354 on the same map.

I believe one huge marketing thing (that hasnt really realized vusibly so far though) abt WARNO has been that they can Apparently crank out maps in a much faster fashion rather than hand-crafting them like they did in the past.

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008
Thanks for confirming. That's basically what I thought but was hoping it was something more. But they're a very small team and they clearly want to get out of early access sooner rather than later and I think this is basically the last major item on the roadmap. Looking forward to being able to do this in coop with a friend.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I didn’t play SD2 so I’m not sure how all this works in practice in the single player campaign but the so lovingly stated:

“We used the historical order of battles, with each division portrayed as they were in 1989, including corps or army assets. These orders of battle (formational structures) will be realistic and accurate down to the platoon level. ”

Annoys me way to much.

Eugen has basically always done this nonsense of refusing to acknowledge that organizational elements are not combat elements. The US never planned to fight in strict divisional formations since like, mid WWII if not earlier.

Operational flexibility and moving smaller units around to make task orientated ad hoc combat forces suited to their objectives is how this has been done for like, 80 years.

You grab a Colonel or a Brigadier or whatever, give them a staff and start building a force up around them to go do a thing with the assets needed to do that thing that get pulled from not just the division but corps and army and “joint” forces as required.

So, you always end up in this weird situation where your deck as a NATO player just never makes any sense because it’s missing some critical element like air defense or light infantry or heavy armor or artillery because it’s not on the divisions OOB.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Murgos posted:

I didn’t play SD2 so I’m not sure how all this works in practice in the single player campaign but the so lovingly stated:

“We used the historical order of battles, with each division portrayed as they were in 1989, including corps or army assets. These orders of battle (formational structures) will be realistic and accurate down to the platoon level. ”

Annoys me way to much.

Eugen has basically always done this nonsense of refusing to acknowledge that organizational elements are not combat elements. The US never planned to fight in strict divisional formations since like, mid WWII if not earlier.

Operational flexibility and moving smaller units around to make task orientated ad hoc combat forces suited to their objectives is how this has been done for like, 80 years.

You grab a Colonel or a Brigadier or whatever, give them a staff and start building a force up around them to go do a thing with the assets needed to do that thing that get pulled from not just the division but corps and army and “joint” forces as required.

So, you always end up in this weird situation where your deck as a NATO player just never makes any sense because it’s missing some critical element like air defense or light infantry or heavy armor or artillery because it’s not on the divisions OOB.

In SD2 AG mode you gather 1-5 battalion-sized tokens which are in close enough area to the fight to take part to build your battle. So you literally can amass 5 tank battalions next to each other if that’s what you want for that fight and have them in the area. The reinforcements you call to the campaign map are usually larger formations that then drop all their bn-card/pieces in a clump to the map spot that is their reinforcement arrival point (usually a railhead)

In addition the campaigns in SD2 are very much based on situational units since this is mid-1944 in eastern front so especially the smaller axis state decks have some mind-numbing mixes of stuff.

What I see as an issue is the description that for WARNO they seem to want to dictate more what kind of units you are allowed to bring to the fight (2 “combat”, 1 “air” 1 “support” etc) which removes player agency and forces you to make fighting organizations you would not otherwise do.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im goimg to send all my Nashorns into close quarters combat :evilbuddy:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Well yeah in game terms it’s to force you to use the crap they actually had instead of a minmaxed army of 60 otomatics or whatever.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

I'm always disappointed when these games switch to turn based for their strategic layer.

It's a game with really cool real time battles on huge maps where you can smoothly pan and zoom. I dunno why they can't just abstract that to the strategic scale and make your units battalions instead of platoons. You could trigger a tactical battle when units are within a certain range of each other, and base reinforcement availability and timing on the proximity of other units.

There must be some reason why it would be terrible that I can't think of, but a real time operational level game (somewhere between the divisional scale of hearts of iron and the platoon scale of Eugen tactical battles) has been my dream for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It’s player attention isn’t it? You can do real time grand strategy (I’m looking at you, Paradox), but it suits games where there is a slightly more abstracted layer of troop composition. If it *matters* exactly which models participate in a battle to the point of potentially making the entire tactical battle unwinnable, I want the time to really think about it instead of tabbing from fight to front like a coked up crypto-bro so that I can do the same thing again in the actual battle.