Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Finally played this a bit after skipping SD and SD2 due to not clicking with them. It is pretty much Wargame (which I expected) but drat did they add a ton of just random jank:

1. The divisions seem so poorly balanced for the most part; some of the divisions just have huge gaping holes in them which are really hard to deal with and don't get kind of real good units or bonuses to make for it (e.g. ones of the NATO divisions literally only gets 35 pt TDs and M48A2s as your actual tanks)
2. Somehow they broke artillery trails in the latest patch and somehow didn't notice it at all :psyduck:
3. The UI as mentioned is atrocious; as a few examples, why do dead units stay in my grouping formation as basically shell records? The bar display for supply count in trucks is needlessly obtuse.
4. Air units seems worse than ever since there's no more aircraft stealth, and I don't remember if this was a problem in WG anymore since it's been so long but why do LGB trucks not just drop all their bombs instead of one at a time. The nighthawk is exceptionally useless in this game (also because Eugen has never really reconciled the poor controls and silliness of MANPADs shooting down high altitude fighters). Also aircraft HE bombs basically do negligible damage to most anything that has armor, compared to heavy artillery shells which are apparently nukes.
5. I guess they wanted to add some counterplay to rocket artillery, but most of them fire so slow it's basically comical.
6. Helicopters are simultaneously still extremely strong but also still stupidly cumbersome due to their physics. Actually it's even harder to deal with them in this game to some extent since helicopters now can have ECM.

Things i do like:
1. You can destroy buildings now and it's easier to force infantry out of fixed positions.
2. Moving the timeline back so it's not just decks full of boondoggles.
3. The music is actually... pretty decent?

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I believe stealth is yet to be implemented so yes the Nighthawk right now is not really useful.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

RoyalScion posted:

1. The divisions seem so poorly balanced for the most part; some of the divisions just have huge gaping holes in them which are really hard to deal with and don't get kind of real good units or bonuses to make for it (e.g. ones of the NATO divisions literally only gets 35 pt TDs and M48A2s as your actual tanks)

Eugen seems to like to stick to the "historical" TO&E for divisions, which yes will have holes in their equipment, but disregards the fact that say, the infantry division will be operating in a combined arms theater with the armored cav division and the mechanized division next to them.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Arrath posted:

Eugen seems to like to stick to the "historical" TO&E for divisions, which yes will have holes in their equipment, but disregards the fact that say, the infantry division will be operating in a combined arms theater with the armored cav division and the mechanized division next to them.

What would be the point of having different divisions if they all had a complete tool kit? The obvious holes are also at least partially made with a "design your gameplay around those limitation" goal.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Arrath posted:

in multiplayer, you will have the armored division and the mechanized division next to you

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I feel like the reserve divisions were a bit of a mistake this early on with so few. They feel like dead weight until the support assets are buffed/tweaked into a good place.

Stealth MLRS is quite funny at the moment, people really hate invisible Uragans.

They also need my drat ATGMS on my BMDs!

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
honestly it wouldn't be so bad if Eugen still didn't have the most absurd pricing on a lot of things; they really need to do a huge go-over of all the price costs for units (this will never happen, since it never happened for the other games).

For laughs, compare the 70 M48A2G2 vs the 75 pt Leopard 1A1.

Apparently the reserve divisions used to be a lot stronger before they nerfed artillery/plane HE/reserve infantry like Kda Schutzen and Heimatschutzen.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

That's unsurprising since they had the exact same problem since ALB.

Because 70% of infantry effectiveness in their model is having dudes and a machine gun and reservist do that just as well.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Two new divisions added today, they've reshuffled the T-80UDs into a heavy tank division. It looks cool as hell but I think it would suck outside of 4v4-10v10s?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The 119th Tank Regiment is probably ok for 3v3s and 4v4s. In 10v10s the standard income is actually a little lower so it can run into issues.

The new T-80BV for the 79th is really cool though -- more than 10 km/h faster than an Abrams, it changes up that division a lot.

The 11th ACR is pretty meh I think though. Ok tanks in limited numbers, only two recon Abrams, limited infantry. Its OK i guess. Though it does have a great air tab.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

The 119th Tank Regiment is probably ok for 3v3s and 4v4s. In 10v10s the standard income is actually a little lower so it can run into issues.

The new T-80BV for the 79th is really cool though -- more than 10 km/h faster than an Abrams, it changes up that division a lot.

The 11th ACR is pretty meh I think though. Ok tanks in limited numbers, only two recon Abrams, limited infantry. Its OK i guess. Though it does have a great air tab.

But the 11th ACR can recon-deploy the Abrams near the middle line right at the start. You can do some serious early game gains there.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Yeah the recon Abrams do have a really outsized effect on the game despite their limited numbers, you are right. And the tank tab while having nothing special, does have a meaningful number of workhorse M1A1s. Ill need some more games to decide.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
They are detailing the Army General mode in the. Newest Dev Blog:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1611600/view/3664291872799881958

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I recently started playing again after noticing the player number has been growing steadily to 1500 peak currently. Not bad. The UI has many more improvements. The new unit label can tell you current suppression and hp at a glance. Also fractional HP is now displayed, which I think helps with clarity, especially for infantry combat.

LOS tool is improved and you can use it to check visibility against different optic vs stealth level quickly. It seems the aim time for weapons is increased so tanks are not deleting things the moment they are spotted. I think this feels better. They implemented the double B to smoke self thing I wanted, and it feels pretty good to use. I saved many tanks and IFV with it when 6 T80UD and T80U suddenly appeared in my sector.

Besides some outliner, AA seems "fairer". There's less IR AA that just has huge anti-aircraft range because that's the paid DLC's faction or minor nation's one gimmick unit (like the Norwegian HAWK). Also I guess the division system means a lot of the better AA pieces are simply not available to some popular division, and there's less experimental weapons around.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 9, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played in awhile but I watch matches on YouTube occasionally. Really just waiting for the Army General mode to release.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

same

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008
No release date yet but there's a new preview trailer for the Army General mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODVLId5lT8o

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
First content update of the year: first iteration of map editor, a first for Eugen game (actually maybe they have this for their earlier game, I guess first for their Iris Engine game). Vet rework (vet now gives different, more relevant bonus depending on unit type), initial batch of division rework, some new models.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Been playing a ton of Warno lately, having a good time doing dumb airborne poo poo with French paratroopers.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Anyone playing the Broken Arrow multiplayer beta? Looks pretty neat, smaller scale than WARNO and also modern day setting.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm hoping to get an access key for it. The presentation really reminds me of WiC. The customisation looks good too.

Next update for warno is army general which is what I'm looking forward to.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

YEAH SO THEY SAY.

The milestone is named after Emmanuel Grouchy who was often late to decisive points.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

I'm hoping to get an access key for it. The presentation really reminds me of WiC. The customisation looks good too.

Its on steam next fest you should just be able to request access and get into it.

I think it sucks honestly

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

Its on steam next fest you should just be able to request access and get into it.

Due to server issue they've temporarily stopped accepting new request.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

Why do you think so?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

Why do you think so?

Feels way less clear whats going on than in WARNO, the info feedback is awful so the game just doesnt feel good to me

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, I tried the multiplayer, but that's not really my thing. I'll be more interested to see what the single player looks like. WARNO was pretty rough for a while so I'm willing to come back when it's had some more polish.

Also, when is this game supposed to be set? The American roster has got Dragon ATGM's which haven't been in US service for 20 years, M60 tanks which were retired post the first Gulf War all fighting alongside F35's.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah, I tried the multiplayer, but that's not really my thing. I'll be more interested to see what the single player looks like. WARNO was pretty rough for a while so I'm willing to come back when it's had some more polish.

Also, when is this game supposed to be set? The American roster has got Dragon ATGM's which haven't been in US service for 20 years, M60 tanks which were retired post the first Gulf War all fighting alongside F35's.

They added a single player mission to the open multi-player beta.

It's interesting.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It is insanely hard. Remember that there's no timer for taking down the objective on other side of river, just walk around and keep ordering endless squads to kill everyone else, then take the objective. Game much easier!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I really like Regiments as a SP alternative to Wargame, can't wait for the expansion

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Next WARNO update coming out on February 13th which includes the first Army General campaign!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1611600/view/4049368036715491511

Also a cool new feature they're adding.

quote:

New configurable map ambiance. From now on, in the game creation lobby, players will choose which lightning setting they want to play the map on. You’ll get the option between night, morning, or afternoon. Note that in Army General, this ambiance setting will automatically match the in-game time depicted. This is just the first batch of ambiance options - more will follow!

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

My hopes were crushed by them not adding the PVP/COOP options initially. Still, gonna be exciting.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aikfaWsZj0c

Vulcan HD got a preview, looks good.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The update is out, adding a small AG campaign, the tank rework patch, and more ongoing adjustments to make the divisions more unique. AG is...well, it's not like we didn't have it already in SD2 so I don't know what the hype is about. I don't hate it, but it's got many flaws. The game mode for the skirmish battle seems to be changed to some kind of hybrid thing where you have to capture and hold to get VP, OR if one side suffers enough losses one side will break.

Tank rework patch seems to mostly increase the armor of the cheaper tanks, but also increase their price quite significantly. I think this is a pretty big nerf since their armor is still in the 2-shot kill threshold from 120/125mm guns, but the price is increased by 20-40%.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 13, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Its funny to me how players were howling for AMX-30 armor nerfs while also demanding a medium-tank centric meta

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How is the AG? I was thinking of waiting until launch before trying.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

How is the AG? I was thinking of waiting until launch before trying.

It is somewhat more clear on what and why things are happening than in Steel Division 2. The formation composition is a bit better, no more infantry with no transport, all formation has at least some AA and AT (though the 4 Stingers and 2 PIVADS is probably not nearly enough when vs entire tactical bomber wing). The one scenario we have currently is extremely small, with only around 20 counters on the map, with NATO starting with literally only 1 active counter (compares to SD2 where even the smallest scenario probably has 30+ counters). There's less strategic action to do (no fortifying, no artillery/air interdiction), no income for buying new reinforcement, it seems reinforcement just arrive on a schedule and event).

It is still hampered by the bad AI and small map pool. The AI does somewhat better on defense (seems to at least put dispersed ATGM all over built up area). On the attack they are utterly hopeless as they send waves of IFV into the guns of your tanks instead of avoiding your main force or wait to build up more mass or any other sensible action. Tactical battle plays somewhat differently than your typical MP match since units are still priced according to type (all tanks are 4pt each, all infantry 2pt each, same as SD2, basically). It's more macro-y since you can have soooo many expensive units.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 14, 2024

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So what's this thing and what is Broken Arrow?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Broken Arrow is a more modern setting RTS between NATO/Russia and WARNO is a specific timeline late 1980s Cold War gone hot set in east Germany.

They differ in scale with Broken Arrow being smaller unit counts and maps. Both are neat, I enjoyed the Broken Arrow multiplayer beta (the one match I played) but they feel different enough that it kinda depends what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I miss the closeness that SD:44 gave. Is broken arrow more similar to that?