Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Distance wise, sorta yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Broken Arrow is honestly much more like World in Conflict than Wargame.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Broken Arrow is honestly much more like World in Conflict than Wargame.

This is where I would peg it yeah, though it doesn't have the offensive/defensive abilities like WiC.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

BA feels closer to World in Conflict than WARNO imo.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1611600/announcements/detail/4152954628627996832

quote:

WARNO’sp latest milestone BERNADOTTE has launched! This major update brings not only a new division (and another heavily updated) but also much-anticipated Army General online Coop and Versus functionality, Command & Control optional game setting, additional divisional “housecleaning,” plus a big balance patch.

quote:

Command & Control

What’s the new Command & Control (C2) setting? In short, the more units you call in as reinforcements, the less income you get. It is an “upkeep” system adapted to WARNO, bringing several key elements:

First, it offers the advantage of letting commanders focus more on the tactical aspect of the game. It limits the number of units a commander can control on the battlefield at any time. This is especially useful for players wanting to deal with fewer units simultaneously.

Another element is that it releases players from constantly bringing reinforcements to use up their Command points. As we know, in a regular game, you are forced to spend your points as fast as possible; otherwise, you’ll field fewer units than an opponent, which puts you at a disadvantage.

Lastly, the new setting prevents an over-dominant player from increasing their lead during a battle in an insurmountable way, giving a real chance for the underdog to make a comeback.

A Setting Not a New Game Rule

Command & Control is a setting, not a new game rule. It can be applied on top of the classic Conquest and Destruction Combat Rules, only affecting the players’ income, not the victory conditions.

Your income is reduced by an amount of Command Points equivalent to a percentage of the cost of each unit deployed on the battlefield. Hence, the more units called in, the less income. Currently, we have three settings: 0% (no upkeep, the current setting), 5%, and 7%.

There are a few caveats:
LOG units are not counted in this upkeep. This means that maintaining your logistic lines will be crucial in the battle. As the famous quote goes, “Amateurs talk strategy, professionals talk logistics.”
AIR upkeep is half that of ground units, regardless of the setting you choose.
You can’t accumulate more than 5.000 Command Points.

The new Command & Control setting will be included in the next milestone BERNADOTTE, both available in Skirmish and multiplayer game creation lobbies (but not in Ranked). We will also convert 10vs10 lobbies to feature this new setting.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Additionally, this is the last major update in EA. The next one will be 1.0.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I played this game for the first time recently. Seems more like Airland Battle than Red Dragon. Men in houses are once again very hard to dig out, and the tank meta revolves around a couple of superheavies. Am I right?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Ehhhh, men in houses is manageable because houses can now be destroyed quite quickly with artillery. Though ruined building still provide cover and concealment, it no longer block line of sight so oftentimes town will just get totally flattened, which allows the whole enemy army to focus fire. Also unit regain stealth much slower (needs more than 10 sec, maybe 15?) so infantry stay revealed once they start shooting.

Modern MBT is good, but their TTK against their peers is somewhat long, not to mention smoke launcher now allows easy disengage. Flanking or heavy ATGM added to the mix will give more decisive result.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 28, 2024

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008
Official Launch Out of Early Access Coming Soon! - Steam

Some formatting for ease of reading.

quote:

Gather around, commanders!

We have a release date. The day that WARNO will launch out of Early Access is now known. Prepare yourself: this coming May 23rd, WARNO will have its official full launch! That’s three weeks from now.

Years of hard work (and playing hard) are paying off. However, WARNO’s release is only the beginning of a new chapter. We are far from done with our beloved “Cold War gone hot” real-time strategy, with the first expansions already worked on.

Let’s detail what’s in store from May 23rd onwards!

WARNO “Vanilla” Edition - Price Tag: $39.99 / 39,99€
Content:
5 Army General campaigns.
8 Operations.
18 Divisions.
Over 1000 units, expertly researched, modeled and voice-lined.
6 Nations: the United States, West Germany, the United Kingdom and France for NATO, the Soviet Union and East Germany for the Warsaw Pact.
Extensive Tutorials and a full range of Skirmish, Multiplayer and Cooperative modes.

EA Pack - Price Tag: $9.99 / 9,99€
For Early Access owners, automatically and freely available, a special EA Pack. This DLC contains divisions added as a “thank you” for your continued support during WARNO’s development:
The EA Pack contains 5 “extra” divisions:
The ”Berlin” divisions: NATO’s Berlin Command and Warsaw Pact’s Berliner Gruppierung and 6-ya Gvardeyskaya Motostrelkovaya Brigada.
Plus NATO’s U.S. 24th Infantry Division (Mechanized) and the Warsaw Pact’s Soviet 27-ya Gvardeyskaya Motostrelkovaya Diviziya.

WARNO “Gold” Edition - Price Tag: $79.99 / 79,99€
Exactly the same content as the “vanilla” edition, plus:
2 e-books with almost 200 pages in total! - WARNO's Timeline and Designer's Notes respectively on Army General, Operations plus an in-depth Divisions overview.
WARNO's Timeline goes deep into “how it came to pass,” painting a frighteningly realistic picture of World War III erupting at the end stages of the Cold War.
Army General gives not only you detailed insights into our five campaigns but also how we set out to create them. A great sneak peek into WARNO’s development.
Operations give you an in-depth view of how we designed Operations, the scripted scenarios on specific noteworthy battles in our war scenario, and how they are best played!
Divisions. An exhaustive list of all WARNO ”Vanilla” and ”Gold” Divisions including historical tidbits, arsenal and unit descriptions, advantages and disadvantages, and how to deploy each battlegroup’s armed forces.

Pre-Order NORTHAG expansion - Price Tag: $24.99 / 24,99€ (included with Gold Edition)
2 new Army General campaigns, 4 Operations, 10 new Divisions including new nations such as NATO’s Belgium, the Netherlands and Warsaw Pact’s Poland.

Pre-Order SOUTHAG expansion - Price Tag: $24.99 / 24,99€ (included with Gold Edition)
2 new Army General campaigns, 4 Operations, 10 new Divisions including new nations such as NATO’s Canada, Spain and Warsaw Pact’s Czechoslavakia.

Nemesis DLC - Price Tag: $4.99 / 4,99€ (both included with Gold Edition)
The first Nemesis DLC - Nemesis: Air Assault will feature two new air assault divisions: the iconic U.S. 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) and the Afghan veterans of the Soviet 56-ya OG Desantno-Shturmovaya Brigada.
The second Nemesis DLC will be the first DLC to be voted on by the community, as described above.

As you can see, the ”Gold” edition gives you not only the base game but also the pre-order of two major expansions and two new Nemesis DLCs, plus e-books with a combined content worth of about $110.00 / 110,00€!

Also, you’ll be able to upgrade your copy of WARNO to the ”Gold” edition. There will be a special discount only available before the official launch for early adopters.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Huh. Canada, Belgium and the Netherlands? Sure. Spain? Now that's unexpected.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lol campaign story is every trope from previous games

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Want that Poland DLC

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That's a lot of dlc out of the gate.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Well, those are what's planned, we won't see the first one until I am guessing fall or winter 2024.

The early access bonus divisions are all pretty good and unique except the Berliner Gruppierung (which got broken up into the current Berliner Gruppierung and 6-ya Gvardeyskaya Motostrelkovaya Brigada), but if you have no interest in MP it probably doesn't matter. The game has already been going on sale every 2-3 months and I am sure the trend will continue if one wants to wait to grab it.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

That's a lot of dlc out of the gate.

The DLC pricing is very reasonable for the content, and the base game is absolutely a good deal. Im glad that they have a plan to support it going forwards.

WARNO at this point has turned out very well I think, I really do like the game. Though I do miss some of the wackiness of Red Dragon.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The single Army General campaign already in the game is pretty fun, the idea of getting 4 more at release + 4 more from those two DLCs is just :allears:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm happy where this is ending up at release. The 5 bonus divisions for pre-order is nice too.

Definitely gonna pick up the NORTHAG DLC at least.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

The DLC pricing is very reasonable for the content, and the base game is absolutely a good deal. Im glad that they have a plan to support it going forwards.

WARNO at this point has turned out very well I think, I really do like the game. Though I do miss some of the wackiness of Red Dragon.

what are the big differences from RD?

is it closer to red dragon or steel division?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

Oh completely agree. I think Warno is their strongest title yet. I miss the frontline and phase system a little, but not sure it would work well here.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Philman posted:

what are the big differences from RD?

is it closer to red dragon or steel division?

Difference from RD:
New "Army General" style campaign
Focused time period of WW3 set in 1989
New deck system that's more similar to SD2
QoL features from SD (order line display, LOS tool, give order during deployment, rule of engagement setting)
Trait system, giving some units unique capability
Vehicle smoke launcher
Infantry unit size is now closer to historical organization instead of 5, 10, or 15
I think all the infantry model and vehicle model are remade, new fx like turret toss, fire, smoke, etc
Urban maps with high density

I think it's close to RD, with return to HP system. Map is more similar to RD as well with regards to how forest and building works.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 4, 2024

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Also the biggest improvement from Wargame and SD . . . the Maps are a lot better in my opinion. Better variety of maps than the wargame series had, and also a much higher percentage of the maps are playable. And their support in terms of adding new maps and taking into account feedback as they develop maps has been good. And the 10v10 maps are the best they've ever done and fun to jump into.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

pedro0930 posted:

The game has already been going on sale every 2-3 months and I am sure the trend will continue if one wants to wait to grab it.

That’s my plan.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah its in a good state atm. I wish they kept SD2 style mechanics for weapon penetration though but meh.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Is multiplayer still hopeless if you are playing solo?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I just wish the AI was less feeble, but I know multi is the draw for most

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

We have been playing the first campaign on MP with a buddy and it is the funniest poo poo when you have some matches where you are just completely depleted but still need to fight. Having to defend with 4 tanks and 3 groups of men against a fresh infantry battalion is always interesting. Especially when you just got a wing of F-111's and the longer you can hide out, the more you can bomb out the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fuligin posted:

I just wish the AI was less feeble, but I know multi is the draw for most

Naah SP is biggest numbers still on the back end by far. Mega hyped for higher coop count though, one of the scenarios on paper could play with a different player doing totally different units across three countries