Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

anything ever come of their "listening"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I haven't gotten any communication from them since filling out that form saying I just use it for non-business or whatever. I moved my mail and deleted my GApps domain because there was nothing else I care about tied to it, but I hope they make it possible and easy to move paid stuff like Play store purchases to a Gmail account before they start charging money.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I think you get a small discount for the first year, so like 3 bux per account, after which it goes to normal prices. So basically we got jack poo poo.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Buff Hardback posted:

While I'm not directly migrating off of G Suite (I gave up on using my free account ages ago due to Google Assistant stuff not working right), I can highly highly recommend Fastmail for mail hosting, I switched my personal email from Gmail to Fastmail a few months back and absolutely love it.

They also have the ability to generate masked anonymous emails that forward to your real email that you can block at any time which is sweet

I switched to Fastmail a couple of years ago and I too am a huge fan. The web app is not as good as gmail, but it's good enough. The main downside is it's $50 per user per year so if you have users in your family that are really light, it's not really worth it (and you're better off getting Exchange Online or something like that).

prsearle
Feb 14, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ever since Google shutdown Reader I've been trying to distance myself from them. Maybe I shouldn't have expected 'free forever' to actually mean that, but here we are...

I ended up switching to Fastmail a week ago. They're not much cheaper than Google (~6 USD/month) but I'm slightly reassured that their business is delivering email for money rather than free email for ten years and then loving me over. I paid for the 'standard' pricing so I could keep using my custom domain. It's just me using this, so no family members to complicate things.

The transfer process was incredibly smooth -- sign up, switch my MX records to point to fastmail, and done. All my archived mails got imported in about an hour (~85,000 items). I've still got my gmail account active with a sync to fastmail in case anything goes wrong but I'm free of the big G for now. If I'm honest I'm happy to just pay someone to make my email work for me. I'm getting too old to worry about this poo poo.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Had an e-mail from them the other day confirming that it will be possible to migrate to a "no cost" option.

I know Google like to do MVP and Agile and all that but honestly it sounds like a complete mess over there:
1. wait for them to set up a list that you can sign up to, to prevent migration to the paid service.
2. wait them to implement the "no cost" option, then they will let you know that you can switch to that.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/60217#nocost

quote:

Is there a no-cost option if I don’t want to upgrade?

A no-cost option will be available for all customers who do not want to use Gmail with their custom domain (for example, your-name@example.com), or the ability to manage multiple users. Customers who choose this option will retain access to the no-cost version of Google Workspace services such as Google Drive and Google Meet, and additional Google services such as Google Search, Google Maps, and YouTube. You will also retain access to paid content such as movies purchased in the Google Play Store.

You'll see a message about the waiting list in your Google Admin console in the coming weeks.

If you want the no cost option, you need to join this waiting list in the Google Admin console before June 1, 2022, so your account is not automatically upgraded to Google Workspace. Those on the waiting list will remain on the G Suite legacy free edition until the no-cost option is available. Once the no-cost option is available, we’ll be in touch with more details on what will happen to your account. You will have 60 days to evaluate the no-cost option or choose Google Workspace before any changes are made to your account.

If you change your mind after you join the waiting list for the no-cost option, you’ll still be able to upgrade to Google Workspace at any time.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
I managed to get rid of youtube now too using these two projects, so I don't know if I will even bother with this "no cost" option anyway.

https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp
https://github.com/Jeeaaasus/youtube-dl

yt-dlp can download videos and output. Full of configuration options, super powerful.

The Jeeaasus one wraps that in a docker container and makes it very easy to use. Basically you run the container, and volume-mount a directory with a text file of youtube channel URLs. It will download new videos from these channels on a cron. There's also a very basic built-in web interface with a form where you can copy+paste individual youtube URLs, and it will fetch those too. I set it up so that everything outputs an mp4, with info and a thumbnail. You can then use something like Jellyfin/Emby/Plex to make those videos available inside or outside your network to TVs, devices and computers.

For me it fully replaces youtube apart from using the website to browse I suppose. I always hated those recommendations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
So is this basically the nail in the coffin for the prayed-for "Google Family" option?

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!

~Coxy posted:

So is this basically the nail in the coffin for the prayed-for "Google Family" option?

Seems that way. I started using Google Apps years ago so my family could have firstname@lastname.com email addresses with a familiar web interface and decent spam filtering. Since then we've also created/shared countless docs through Drive, and frequently use Maps with tons of saved points.

I've been trying to decide if coughing up $500+ per year is more painful than switching to a new email host (and losing who knows what outside of email) or going back to @gmail.com which would require my family to update their email addresses on hundreds(?) of websites.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

A middle ground option would be to switch to @gmail accounts and set up your @lastname.com addresses to forward to them from your new host. Then you get the spam filtering and UI, etc., and I think it is possible to configure Gmail to send as another address through a 3rd party SMTP server.

This is what I'm going to do for my mother, so she doesn't have to learn a new UI.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007
I have a *@gmail.com account - should i be worried about that going away or is this some kind of turbo nerd stuff?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Brian Worms posted:

I have a *@gmail.com account - should i be worried about that going away or is this some kind of turbo nerd stuff?

No, this is about the free tier of what was originally "Gmail for your Domain" that morphed in to Google's business products.

They originally sold it to us for use with personal domains and such but have now decided to focus purely on business users with a pricing model that doesn't really make sense for individuals or family users.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007
That's a relief. Thread title had me kinda freaked.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Brian Worms posted:

That's a relief. Thread title had me kinda freaked.

The only problem is that if they're happy to make this move there's no telling what they'll change next. There's a pattern here where Google make services that used to be free no longer free, and it is anyone's guess (including Google's) what will be next.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Bleh, finally moved everything over to my office 365 screwing around tenant. Cloudflare email routing might have done the job but do occasionally need to send as that account which is a bit messier. I have no desire to give Google any money despite the discounts.

I'm glad I never used my google apps accounts for anything other than custom domain email, that sounds like a mess to unwind.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

OK so how do I convert my google account to a non-google suite account? I was gonna just yeet this into the garbage but turns out I have a bunch of google docs shared with me that I don't want to have to go through the whole thing to get reshared

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've never worked out how to do that, you could get Cloud Identity Free licenses and drop all the licensing out of your Workspace tenant, so it will stick around with no paid features but also not cost anything.

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Finally! News!

It's looking positive. Still rolling out apparently.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Cowboy Mark posted:

Finally! News!

It's looking positive. Still rolling out apparently.

Wait what you still get access to custom domains on gmail or am I misreading that?

Huh, apparently that is the case according to this link which seems contradictory to what they said earlier and really makes me wonder why they even bothered with this at all if they just made another weird "free/legacy" tier: https://apps.google.com/supportwidg...igger_context=a

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 16, 2022

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

just google being google

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

heck yes

Not gonna switch my mx records back here but at least I don't have to redo all my google doc sharings.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

*Checks calendar*

Wow. Really did not expect the outcome we all wanted.

Edit: how do I get to that screen? Or do I just have to wait for it to show up?

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 17, 2022

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

~Coxy posted:

*Checks calendar*

Edit: how do I get to that screen? Or do I just have to wait for it to show up?

I went to change my legacy subscription and got that option

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Yeah this was honestly nice. Makes u think why they even did this to begin with... how many people who were on the free edition converted to paid g suite customers? Like five?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

nvrgrls posted:

Yeah this was honestly nice. Makes u think why they even did this to begin with... how many people who were on the free edition converted to paid g suite customers? Like five?

Well you have to solemnly swear you are not a commercial customer, so obviously mission accomplished. I do know a bunch of people who left/deleted their legacy accounts so I guess did thin the herd.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I started the laborious process of migrating all my poo poo.

Yesterday.

loving fucks sake.

Now I'm basically halfway - haven't yet pulled the trigger on starting the email migration but have all my apps moved to a new gmail account, phone switched, new email provider set up with the custom domains and ready to receive the migrated email.....godfuckingdammit.

At this point I'm leaning towards "believe people when they show you who they are", because it really sounds like Google got so much pushback on this that they decided it wasn't worth the hassle right now, but I have no doubt they'll eventually try it again, maybe more slowly this time (i.e. boil the frog by removing service after service from the legacy free tier until it's "you get 100 MB of email quota and also you're limited to 2 users now please remove 68 of the 70 users you have").

It would still take more work to finish my migration than to go backwards, but I just don't trust them anymore and I'd rather pay a company to host my email and get a little more of a guarantee they're not just gonna pull the rug out from under me.

But also, they couldn't have loving decided this LAST week? :argh:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
At this point, I expect this to gradually get cut down until we end up with something like 90s era ISP e-mail. No Docs/Sheets/other apps. A 5MB mailbox limit. No web UI (POP3 and SMTP only). Oh, you ISP blocks port 25? Sucks to be you. Pay up.

I just did the non-commercial pinky swear on all my domains today, but I'm also feeling pretty glad I don't use them for anything important.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

I went to change my legacy subscription and got that option

Might be slowly rolling it out, I don't have it yet.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Try clicking this link https://admin.google.com/?action_id=SE_SELF_TRANSITION

Add &authuser=N where N is the # of GSuite admin account if you've got multiple accounts

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Thanks! That worked perfectly.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm glad they finally gave us an answer, and being able to keep my mail on gmail for a while longer is pretty nice, but for me this actually seems worse than what was being discussed previously.

They had previously indicated that those who didn't want to stay on a paid plan could have their account converted to a non-GSuite Google Account, like what you get if you set up a personal account with a non-gmail email address. G Suite accounts have a lot of really annoying limitations when interacting with Google's personal product line so I was looking forward to not having to deal with that anymore.

Now it looks like instead we're just getting a much more limited form of GSuite than we already had.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Yeah I really just wanted to get my play store purchases moved to a personal account, I had already stopped using the domains I had purchased and set up with Google Apps ages ago.

I was honestly looking forward to saving the $20-ish a year I was spending on keeping those domains registered so nobody could hijack my account.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

corgski posted:

Yeah I really just wanted to get my play store purchases moved to a personal account, I had already stopped using the domains I had purchased and set up with Google Apps ages ago.

I was honestly looking forward to saving the $20-ish a year I was spending on keeping those domains registered so nobody could hijack my account.
Agreed, I'd be perfectly happy to just be given a way to transfer my purchases and my grandfathered Youtube Premium subscription rate to a Gmail account. That plus some way to identify where I've used "sign in with google" from that account so I can change those and I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I've used my domains for personal email for over a decade at this point so I'm pretty much stuck servicing them forever, but receiving mail isn't exactly rocket surgery so I can do that myself if I need to. I did it before. Sending reliably can be a bit trickier, but it's a lot less common to need to send mail from one of those domain accounts.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Kreeblah posted:

At this point, I expect this to gradually get cut down until we end up with something like 90s era ISP e-mail. No Docs/Sheets/other apps. A 5MB mailbox limit. No web UI (POP3 and SMTP only). Oh, you ISP blocks port 25? Sucks to be you. Pay up.

Remember when people were thunderstruck that Google was going to hand out free email accounts with 1gb? Everyone was raving about how bold and innovative Google was. I think yahoo mail was like 6 megabytes then and packed with ads and bullshit. Different times lol

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Pekinduck posted:

Remember when people were thunderstruck that Google was going to hand out free email accounts with 1gb? Everyone was raving about how bold and innovative Google was. I think yahoo mail was like 6 megabytes then and packed with ads and bullshit. Different times lol

Man, there was a time when Google was competent. What a time that was.

I'm looking forward to the eventual gmail redesign that can't expand past 400px wide and shows 8 emails per page and you still have to scroll to see those.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I also didn't expect them to let me keep my stupid custom domain mail but I sure am glad I don't have to change my email on hundreds of services I'm using it on.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Pekinduck posted:

I remember a thread in GBS where people were selling Gmail accounts.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Then the whole google wave thing. Google+, Hangouts, etc, etc.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

for fucks sake posted:

I got paid $20 for a gmail invite back at the start, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

for fucks sake posted:

Until iSnoop set up the invite trading(?) site where people could drop their invite codes and other people could go get one.