Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Yaldabaoth posted:

Seriously, though. Jesus outright refers to God as his father. Are you going to call the son of God a liar?

yeah. he was a human, allowed to lie if he wanted to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

God is described in feminine or androgynous ways multiple times in the Bible and the name Yahweh is in fact a combination of female and male modifiers, ACTUALLY!

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

yeah. he was a human, allowed to lie if he wanted to

let Jesus fib!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

God is described in feminine or androgynous ways multiple times in the Bible and the name Yahweh is in fact a combination of female and male modifiers, ACTUALLY!

he was a fat guy with an umbrella and hat in Lucifer. That's how I like to think of him

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Sorry but you can't write a book that goes on about how awful women are and then try to shift blame away from men by trying to claim that God isn't male.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Oh yeah? What are you, the book police?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

A while back I was reading Puritan-era accounts of witchcraft cases by Increase and Cotton Mather among others, and one of the most interesting elements to me was that some women accused of witchcraft would not only eagerly confess to whatever they were accused of but then make up even more elaborate and gruesome things to confess to. Maybe it was worth it to get a bit of independence and power for once even though they knew they would be executed?

i thought that the way it worked was if you "confessed" you would be exiled, they only would hang you if you were found guilty and refused to confess.

Source: I don’t have a source I just swear I read that was how it worked at some point

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Nigmaetcetera posted:

i thought that the way it worked was if you "confessed" you would be exiled, they only would hang you if you were found guilty and refused to confess.

Source: I don’t have a source I just swear I read that was how it worked at some point

I know witch trials occurred over a very significant spread of time so it’s possible this was true at some point, but in the stuff I read a lot of people who confessed still got got

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
She ever get freaky with it like cast spells on ur dick and poo poo?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I hope she fucks you real hard op

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I know witch trials occurred over a very significant spread of time so it’s possible this was true at some point, but in the stuff I read a lot of people who confessed still got got

There's a book called Cautio Criminalis, written during the height of the hunts in Germany by a Jesuit scholar of law who also took last confession from convicted witches. He details a lot of really serious issues with the process but some key elements are:
-torture was frequently used after conviction to extract names of accomplices
-questions under torture and otherwise were frequently phrased like "did you see Steve Higgins at the black mass." This was known to produce false info even back then
-many of the confessions supposedly given voluntarily, ie without torture, were made under the threat of being tortured, or while being subjected to treatment that was obviously torture. As in toothed screw clamps applied to the thighs. Basically, voluntary confessions that were nothing but
-once you're convicted, you're already dead, it's just a matter of how much you have to suffer before you get there

Then there's the detail that explains all the above: interrogators and witch hunters typically got paid per conviction

It's a really interesting read, though obviously depressing.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 23, 2022

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

op you trying to do epic 2012 style with all these lovely threads, or...?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

hail to the king baby

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There's a book called Cautio Criminalis, written during the height of the hunts in Germany by a Jesuit scholar of law who also took last confession from convicted witches. He details a lot of really serious issues with the process but some key elements are:
-torture was frequently used after conviction to extract names of accomplices
-questions under torture and otherwise were frequently phrased like "did you see Steve Higgins at the black mass." This was known to produce false info even back then
-many of the confessions supposedly given voluntarily, ie without torture, were made under the threat of being tortured, or while being subjected to treatment that was obviously torture. As in toothed screw clamps applied to the thighs. Basically, voluntary confessions that were nothing but
-once you're convicted, you're already dead, it's just a matter of how much you have to suffer before you get there

Then there's the detail that explains all the above: interrogators and witch hunters typically got paid per conviction

It's a really interesting read, though obviously depressing.

That’s really grisly, it explains a lot and it makes sense why Puritan judges writing about it would whitewash the process

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

That’s really grisly, it explains a lot and it makes sense why Puritan judges writing about it would whitewash the process

Yeah. The whole thing is deeply, deeply hosed, made all the more terrifying by how personable the writing is. Though full disclosure: I don't know how things differed from the American colonies. Germany was kind of ground zero for witchcraft panic.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2xlQaimsGg

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh, it’s like, you think you’re not dating a witch (for once) and then you find out she got a bunch of anal beads and hair product like when where you going to tell me? :thunkher:

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Time cube guy was right when he said the abrahamic god was a homosexual god given how much his male followers hate women.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

for a guy who picked yaldabaoth for his username youre sure closed minded about the Bible

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Witches in the 2020s are just the goths of the 1990s. And I'm here for it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Watch out for menstrual blood cookies op

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

syntaxfunction posted:

Witches in the 2020s are just the goths of the 1990s. And I'm here for it.

what about the 30 years in between?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Wiccans were huge in 2000s just as emos were spreading

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what about the 30 years in between?

The slow transition between the two.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if your girlfriend had a twin sister who wasn't a witch, do you think you could tell which is witch?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Greg of Doom posted:

So we know shes fat

Lmao

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

if your girlfriend had a twin sister who wasn't a witch, do you think you could tell which is witch?

Imagine I posted the homer smile here

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Yaldabaoth posted:

Time cube guy was right when he said the abrahamic god was a homosexual god given how much his male followers hate women.

Are you suggesting that gay men hate women?

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Weka posted:

:actually:
Even the dang catholic catechism denies that god has a gender or sex.

lol cmon i’m talking about genuine feel-it-in-the-heart spirituality, not technical definitions. yahweh is obviously a patriarch of divine masculine energy. that’s fine and even cool. it’s just limiting when we think the only way to relate to divinity is in the manner described by abrahamic religions.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nigmaetcetera posted:

no one know what the gently caress time cube guy was saying

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

gods not a woman hes a big white guy in the sky and the deserts are reflections of his eyes, he doesnt cry for us and when he does its cuz hes drunk - sage francis the only sage who i listen to (other than Darunia)

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Nope, just the closeted bigots.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Yaldabaoth posted:

Nope, just the closeted bigots.

they are all closeted. if you call them a bigot they get mad as hell.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Mozi posted:

just say something shocking.

"oh my god!" = normie
"oh my goddess!" = witch

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Mozi posted:

look man im just happy to have a girlfriend in this scenario

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
hey man i don't blame you

i'd love to be lickin wiccan

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

are you sure she's a witch? let's check the manual:

Malleus Malefaricum posted:

There is also, concerning witches who copulate with devils, much difficulty in considering the methods by which such abominations are consummated. On the part of the devil: first, of what element the body is made that he assumes; secondly, whether the act is always accompanied by the injection of semen received from another;

so like uh is she like getting freeblasted by satans that spermjacked some other dudes?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

the Malleus Maleficarum was basically 13th century OAN

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

is YOUR WIFE cheating on you with DEVILS who STEAL MEN'S SPERM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

the mypillow guy hosts a segment on how John XXIII is the one true pope and rightful vicar of christ, also this memory foam technology keeps demons away order now