Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sid Vicious posted:

its my literal culture ffs gently caress nazis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Pennywise the Frown posted:

If they don't like the story, they change it.

Wow that one on the right sucks

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

yes. a man born is Egypt is deff a white anglo protestant

um jesus was born in Africa, you big dum-dum

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

thanks mumpy (:

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I wasn't saying that Sid is a nazi, just that Odinism is appealing to nazis because they associate it with scandinavia and nazis think scandinavians are the only truly white europeans.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Hey OP I got a spell for you.

I CAST....

REDUCE BALLS!!!!!

:blastu:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Chinatown posted:

Hey OP I got a spell for you.

I CAST....

REDUCE BALLS!!!!!

:blastu:

I feel dat

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Doctor Dogballs posted:

um jesus was born in Africa, you big dum-dum

sorry yeah, he fled to Egypt

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

threefold law is gonna get you Chinatown

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yaldabaoth posted:

I wasn't saying that Sid is a nazi, just that Odinism is appealing to nazis because they associate it with scandinavia and nazis think scandinavians are the only truly white europeans.

Yeah wasn't the whole Aryan race thing all nords or something?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

odinism is some made up modern day bullshit im a heathen i dont believe in literal gods i believe in nature and the collective unconscious and raping and pillaging christians just kidding about the last one, and i happen to think that my families history is p neat and if i can connect it to my own spirituality i should be allowed to without nazis coopting it!!! i reiterate gently caress nazis

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yaldabaoth posted:

Nah it's not as simple as that, the (mostly) English and German dudes who were hugely into that also included themselves in the nordic umbrella, again part of it is just that it's something about North European pre-Christians that's somewhat well-documented (by Christians hundreds of years after the fact) and also that it's really not as exclusive as the usual appelation of Norse mythology/paganism would imply in terms of its geogprahic distribution.

However referring to it as your culture is IMO dumb.

Sid Vicious posted:

odinism is some made up modern day bullshit im a heathen i dont believe in literal gods i believe in nature and the collective unconscious and raping and pillaging christians just kidding about the last one, and i happen to think that my families history is p neat and if i can connect it to my own spirituality i should be allowed to without nazis coopting it!!! i reiterate gently caress nazis

So you've got some Scandinavian ancestry then? I'm Scandinavian and anyone over here who's into that is a nazi. Worship of Thor and whatever isn't part of yours and it wasn't part of your family's culture.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 23, 2022

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sid Vicious posted:

thanks mumpy (:

always got your back Sid. No worries

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

They literally thought nords were descended from Hyperboria.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm beginning to think these Nazi characters were pretty stupid.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

and they were stinky

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

their leader did fail out of art school

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

They did lose WW2.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I mean, im not trying to talk poo poo sid, im just pointing out that if a certain culture's values align with what nazis look at and say "yes this is what is correct" what does that say about them in the first place?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

nazis stealing symbolism and assigning it meaning is not the same thing as aligned beliefs!!!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sid just likes Loki, the god of being an rear end in a top hat.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sid Vicious posted:

nazis stealing symbolism and assigning it meaning is not the same thing as aligned beliefs!!!

I'm gonna say the nazis probably stole that symbolism as much as the dudes who decided Norse paganism was some sort of cozy nature worship.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Nooner posted:

I mean, im not trying to talk poo poo sid, im just pointing out that if a certain culture's values align with what nazis look at and say "yes this is what is correct" what does that say about them in the first place?

What if Nazi's co-opt Flamingos tho Nooner? You'd need to change your avatar, cause it'd be for the Nazis now.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Randarkman posted:

im incredibly kind (:

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

iirc the Aryans were from the middle east and nazis are just idiots.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Randarkman posted:

how can you not love a god who is the father of the world serpent, and mother of Sleipnir

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

syntaxfunction posted:

What if Nazi's co-opt Flamingos tho Nooner? You'd need to change your avatar, cause it'd be for the Nazis now.

I'm seriously dreading if/when the chuds hijack some Irish symbolism because it looks cool or something and completely taints that for me.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I'm seriously dreading if/when the chuds hijack some Irish symbolism because it looks cool or something and completely taints that for me.

i have bad news

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Randarkman posted:

So you've got some Scandinavian ancestry then? I'm Scandinavian and anyone over here who's into that is a nazi. Worship of Thor and whatever isn't part of yours and it wasn't part of your family's culture.

it’s not like, foolish or whatever to not want the pagan religion of your ancestors taken over by fascists.

for a lot of people, spirituality and religion are not just empty categories to dump meaning into. there are genuine and significant differences between a pagan faith and a monotheistic one. someone wanting to connect to the pagan traditions of their ancestors is perfectly reasonable.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

Sid Vicious posted:

i have bad news

no make them stop :(

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sophy Wackles posted:

iirc the Aryans were from the middle east and nazis are just idiots.

Aryan is just an old Proto-Indo European word, most associated with the ones that went into (originally coming out of the Western and Central Eurasian steppes) Iran and India because because that's where we got the specific form of it being "Arya/Aryan" from. It really just means something like noble or royal and like a lot of words for those types of thing (and names dervied from that) are originally derived from that root word.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ocean Book posted:

it’s not like, foolish or whatever to not want the pagan religion of your ancestors taken over by fascists.

for a lot of people, spirituality and religion are not just empty categories to dump meaning into. there are genuine and significant differences between a pagan faith and a monotheistic one. someone wanting to connect to the pagan traditions of their ancestors is perfectly reasonable.

The pagan traditions of his ancestors who were 100% not pagan. Okay.

People just want to be something different, and pick norse paganism because that's the popular one I guess, and there's tons of people with Scandinavian ancestry in the US and Canada.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sid Vicious posted:

i have bad news

nooo

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Sid Vicious posted:

i have bad news

Where there’s a Erin’s harp tattoo there’s a Southie Irish guy throwing around the N word.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
as a girl whos into that stuff

Greg of Doom posted:

So we know shes fat

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

syntaxfunction posted:

If nazis decided that standing on one leg and eating shrimp until they turn pink was the ideal way to live your life, i would reexamine why i also place value on standing on one leg and eating shrimp until i turn pink :catstare:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Randarkman posted:

Aryan is just an old Proto-Indo European word, most associated with the ones that went into (originally coming out of the Western and Central Eurasian steppes) Iran and India because because that's where we got the specific form of it being "Arya/Aryan" from. It really just means something like noble or royal and like a lot of words for those types of thing (and names dervied from that) are originally derived from that root word.

nope. try again

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
lol yeah a lot of white supremacist fuckheads I've run into love them some Irish representation, despite a lot being factually not at all Irish. I don't know why.

Also I think the bigger issue is that Nazis co-opting stuff and everyone going "oh well no one should use that, that's Nazi stuff" you end up in a situation where Nazis will just co-opt anything and everything and people just roll over. I don't know how to fight it, I'm not an ideas guy.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nooner posted:

i hear nazis like breathing air and eating food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

Randarkman posted:

The pagan traditions of his ancestors who were 100% not pagan. Okay.

People just want to be something different, and pick norse paganism because that's the popular one I guess, and there's tons of people with Scandinavian ancestry in the US and Canada.

?? i don’t get your point. nordic people were not pagan before christianity?