Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

d0grent posted:

I'm seeing reports that dying light 2 will actually release at 7pm EST tomorrow, but on steam it says 1 day and 19 hours from now which would be 7am on Friday... is there a different release time for non-steam retailers?

Edit: found this map. I sure hope steam doesn't stop me from playing it tomorrow or something.

Wonder if this means I can set my console to NZ time and get it early.

Rarely works but you never know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Wanderer posted:

Humans tend to show up in small groups, use throwing weapons, and a disconcerting number of them have a power attack that can't be blocked. It's not my favorite part of the game, but it's all right, and it does encourage you to cheat like hell to get past them. There are a lot of advanced abilities in the combat tree that I know I'll never think to use, but which do let you style on fools.

The nights start off pretty sedate, then get insane as you get past midnight. At least in the early parts of the city, there's a Howler every 20 feet, and if it spots you, you're almost guaranteed to get into a desperate chase scene.

Human combat sounds like what annoyed me with the first, their op throwing weapon damage and blocking. But I still love DL1 so it's not a deal breaker. Is the parkour as good or at least improved with more moves? And please keep updating your (non spoilery) playthrough thoughts too

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Noirex posted:

Human combat sounds like what annoyed me with the first, their op throwing weapon damage and blocking. But I still love DL1 so it's not a deal breaker. Is the parkour as good or at least improved with more moves? And please keep updating your (non spoilery) playthrough thoughts too

I just unlocked "tic-tac" for wall-running before I had to crash out last night, so I'll need to play with that some.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Noirex posted:

From what I’ve heard, the bow let’s you get around a lot of the issues with melee if you’re not enjoying it.

And parkour and exploration sound like the highlights of the game.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Im hype as gently caress for this

Anyone who wants to co-op add me on Steam , friend code : 6255816

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The thing with humans in 1 is that they can't take projectile weapons worth poo poo, so if they're being constantly annoying with blocking or ducking, just shoot them with a bow or gun. Dealing with runners usually stops mattering by the time you pick up either, whether you're better at running away or just taking them out yourself.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mr. Pool posted:

Im hype as gently caress for this

I’m slowly heading there, but I don’t want to pay full price, so I think I’ll buy the original on pc as a consolation for the moment. I think it’s $12 for all the main content and expansions.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

A Bystander posted:

The thing with humans in 1 is that they can't take projectile weapons worth poo poo, so if they're being constantly annoying with blocking or ducking, just shoot them with a bow or gun. Dealing with runners usually stops mattering by the time you pick up either, whether you're better at running away or just taking them out yourself.

I try not to use guns unless absolutely necessary since - virals. So I just Molotov them...but the melee in DL1 is such fun, so let me melee humans more and quit dodging/blocking so much. That's all I want in DL2.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Do you think dying light is better played with a controller or keyboard/mouse

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I played it using a controller and loved it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Giant Bomb's (and Something Awful's) Jeff Gerstmann isn't super jazzed about Dying Light 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhCdz7NVLok

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm going to like it because of jumping around and climbing and so forth. going all around (all over)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I gotta say this chase was pretty drat good open world jank though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhCdz7NVLok&t=2423s

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I have to admit, I'm not seeing what everyone's complaining about with the writing. It's a little by-the-numbers, because it's an AAA video game, but it never struck me as that egregious. As a way to get you from point A to point B, it does the job.

It's pretty leisurely paced, though. I only just met a character who I assume will be a major part of the plot, because she's voiced by Rosario Dawson, at the 20+ hour mark.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

the impression i got is not that it ruins the game, it's just that they talked up the writing a lot in marketing but didn't end up really delivering anything special.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I have completely missed all of the marketing, so that means I should be fine.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Rinkles posted:

the impression i got is not that it ruins the game, it's just that they talked up the writing a lot in marketing but didn't end up really delivering anything special.

That was back when Chris Avellone was doing the writing. When it came out he was a massive sex pest creep, the developers had to scrub everything he had wrote and redo it. So I'm not terribly surprised that the writing is disjointed and uninspired, it was a bandaid fix.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
not to say that avellone’s material would have necessarily been any better. the guy could be ponderous in the extreme, especially over the last ten years or so

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Overall the impression I'm getting from reviews is that game is good but quite buggy. Let's hope the day one patch addresses some of the more extreme stuff I've heard about (game saves being corrupted... yikes)

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm confused as to when this is actually coming out. Is it today or tomorrow?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Today. There's a whole chart about it but something like 7pm est/3pm pst.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

redreader posted:

Today. There's a whole chart about it but something like 7pm est/3pm pst.

Yeah, I saw the tweet/chart but Steam, Epic, and Techland's own website have it for tomorrow. (Techland has a timer and it's currently at 12 hours)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I was taking a look at one of the streamers that got a key yesterday and it looked fine. If you like DL you'll like the second one.

What did get me rolling my eyes were the incredibly obvious death flags. Even the streamer had to stop and say "Im betting that if I promise him this a piano is going to fall right now and kill him"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Mr. Fortitude posted:

That was back when Chris Avellone was doing the writing. When it came out he was a massive sex pest creep, the developers had to scrub everything he had wrote and redo it. So I'm not terribly surprised that the writing is disjointed and uninspired, it was a bandaid fix.

Where did you see that they had to scrub his writing? It makes sense they would stop promoting his name, but scrapping all of the plot seems excessive. It's not like anyone would notice if they kept the writing in, and I assume it was all work for hire so he already got paid no matter what.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 3, 2022

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Kaddish posted:

Yeah, I saw the tweet/chart but Steam, Epic, and Techland's own website have it for tomorrow. (Techland has a timer and it's currently at 12 hours)

You're right. Steam says:

"Coming February 4
This game will unlock in approximately 23 hours"

so uh. 10am MST tomorrow I suppose.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I feel like I've seen stuff pop before the specific release time on Steam before.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Techland says 13:32 for me. Weird!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Noirex posted:

I try not to use guns unless absolutely necessary since - virals. So I just Molotov them...but the melee in DL1 is such fun, so let me melee humans more and quit dodging/blocking so much. That's all I want in DL2.

I saw a video showing off drop kicks that seems to let it work reliably on humans now so I can keep on forcing my foot fetish on everything I see.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

redreader posted:

You're right. Steam says:

"Coming February 4
This game will unlock in approximately 23 hours"

so uh. 10am MST tomorrow I suppose.

I saw a twitter reply about this with the effect of "Steam release time listings are about as accurate as IGN reviews." I have no idea when it will actually release on Steam but people are under the assumption that the official release time from the Twitter image is what's accurate and that they'll be able to push a button at that time to unlock it for everyone (it supposedly just defaulted to the Steam update time for the following day).

Edit: Okay someone from Techland posted on the Dying Light discord just now. 7PM EST/4PM PST confirmed.

quote:

Dying Light 2 Launch Patch on PC drops TONIGHT! (01:05AM CET to be precise)
Over a 1,000 improvements/tweaks so should help with some pre-launch bugs people are experiencing.
You will have to download around 2.5gb of data
Also:
I see a lot of comments regarding the release date and steam bug - DYING LIGHT 2 WILL BE RELEASED ACCORDING TO OUR RELEASE MAP POSTED ABOVE, #StayHuman!

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 3, 2022

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Sweet

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Sounds like the review consensus on Dying Light 2 is gameplay good(but gets too easy towards the end), story and writing is pretty bad, quite a lot of bugs(especially before the day 1 patch)?

I’m playing Pokémon right now and then there’s Elden Ring so I won’t be playing this for a while so I hope it gets heavily patched by then.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

DL2 is perfectly timed to give me something to do before Elden Ring and the Guild Wars 2 expansion come out. It sounds like there's enough content to keep me busy this month. I'm having a hell of a time deciding which one of the latter two I'll play first...

Edit: Also :3:

https://twitter.com/ImMrTransistor/status/1489337582626344963?s=20&t=WXGA4f2NYfToz7OREAZa5A

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 3, 2022

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I was really excited to play this game because for some reason I thought it was a day 1 gamepass release but it was revealed to me that this wasn’t the case. This seems the perfect gamepass game so I guess I gotta wait for it to go on there.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They've snookered themselves a little bit because their really good and long support of the first one means I can probably expect to be able to get this new one in half a year with a few patches and bit of extra stuff for half the price it costs now. Or wait even longer and get it slightly cheaper than that even with the full dlc whenever that's all out.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Pretty sure this guy is playing Nolan North playing Aiden. This where we are with voice acting, not even trying to create an interesting voice, just imitating other voice actors that have had success.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Pretty sure this guy is playing Nolan North playing Aiden. This where we are with voice acting, not even trying to create an interesting voice, just imitating other voice actors that have had success.

On the one hand, I was sure Aiden was voiced by Troy Baker until I finally looked at IMDB.

On the other, it wouldn't surprise me if Scott was being specifically directed to not be memorable or interesting. Aiden's pretty much your stock audience surrogate character. He's not as flavorless as some I've seen, since he actually has a lot of dialogue and makes a few jokes, but this isn't the sort of role that is going to encourage a performer to flex his acting chops.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea it's not like Crane was anything other than generic Loud American Hero either, and it was fine. Same goes for the writing for me, I didn't think the writing in DL1 was anything special, but it was fine and tbh that's all I need from this one.

Also fwiw I'm in NZ and steam says game unlocks in about 2 hours.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I think most male action game characters nowadays sound like Baker. Crane was also as generic a character as it comes, but Roger Craig Smith did do a fantastic job injecting his emotions in a thankless role. He made me care and Crane really grew on me after a while. Hopefully Aiden's VA is just as good.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Wanderer posted:

On the one hand, I was sure Aiden was voiced by Troy Baker until I finally looked at IMDB.

On the other, it wouldn't surprise me if Scott was being specifically directed to not be memorable or interesting. Aiden's pretty much your stock audience surrogate character. He's not as flavorless as some I've seen, since he actually has a lot of dialogue and makes a few jokes, but this isn't the sort of role that is going to encourage a performer to flex his acting chops.

I mean, he's literally playing Nolan North. Aiden was in one of the DLC's for DL1, and he was played by North there. Now he's back in DL2, but they have a sound-alike imitating North.

Is North tied up with Troy Baker in his unionization thing? I fully support workers right to unionize, I'm in one myself, but Troy Baker has started to go a bit batshit with his demands, and the devs might not have wanted to get involved with that if North is partnering with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I don't disagree with you, I just don't really see why you think it's such a big deal :shrug: