Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Where are all those goons from this off-season that insisted Stafford is a top-15 qb at best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

PupsOfWar posted:

Where are all those goons from this off-season that insisted Stafford is a top-15 qb at best

I would like the people that said the trade for Tannehill was better and Tannehill is a better QB to reveal themselves.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

This was cool as hell

https://i.imgur.com/7jTIEn5.mp4

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

adaz posted:

How many times do you think lovely lions gms/coaches where like "we can't win a superbowl with matt stafford" ?

amazing content, good for him.

My big takeaway from the Brady Bucs and Stafford Rams is that there is a giant chasm between the top 10 QBs and the rest of the field and it makes a world of difference. Much more so than having a top 5 or even top 3 QB.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

MJeff posted:

I would like the people that said the trade for Tannehill was better and Tannehill is a better QB to reveal themselves.

Might as well double up with some bans, just to be safe

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

PupsOfWar posted:

He's certainly in the top 15 now

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

YOLOsubmarine posted:

God drat it must suck to be Jared Goff right now. Your ex just dumped you and now she’s marrying this other super successful dude with a giant hog and all of your coworkers are publicly congratulating him and talking about how much he deserves all the good things that are happening to him, and not to you.

I'd be okay with being Jared Goff and having to cry into my hundreds of millions and big titty swimsuit model girlfriend.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

really queer Christmas posted:

I'd be okay with being Jared Goff and having to cry into my hundreds of millions and big titty swimsuit model girlfriend.

The last time this happened in Detroit, that guy went on to finally win a championship! In Houston.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

YOLOsubmarine posted:

God drat it must suck to be Jared Goff right now. Your ex just dumped you and now she’s marrying this other super successful dude with a giant hog and all of your coworkers are publicly congratulating him and talking about how much he deserves all the good things that are happening to him, and not to you.

He's probably just happy that they're all happy :unsmith:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp
remember in the GDT when like a dozen people were predicting Staff was gonna throw a pick six to end the game

https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/status/1493313438722015232?s=19

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

really queer Christmas posted:

I always feel really bad when I watch someone try their very hardest at something and still suck at it. I just want everyone that isn’t a shitawful person to be happy and successful at whatever they choose.

But the money and big tits do sound nice.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Acebuckeye13 posted:

remember in the GDT when like a dozen people were predicting Staff was gonna throw a pick six to end the game

https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/status/1493313438722015232?s=19

He should be sending Tartt a gift basket or five for dropping that awful INT

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Grip it and rip it posted:

He's probably just happy that they're all happy :unsmith:

This is probably true, Jared Goff was a really cool and nice dude who was actually good at throwing footballs but couldn't keep up with the mental part of the game :unsmith:

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

This a thread for nice things about Stafford so I will try not to say that he doesn't have a case for the Hall of Fame (yet), but I do find the HoF discourse of the last two days very funny because it seems like it's actually Eli Manning HoF discourse in disguise

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If Stafford is a hall of famer, then like 500 additional players are hall of famers, come on now.

I like Stafford, but that's loving ridiculous.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Kalli posted:

If Stafford is a hall of famer, then like 500 additional players are hall of famers, come on now.

I like Stafford, but that's loving ridiculous.

He’s going to finish top 10 in passing yards and TDs and has a Super Bowl. A few more good years with the Rams will wash the Lions stink off of him.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
He's Eli but he didn't beat the patriots and TB12 twice. If he wins another SB he might have a case but otherwise nah

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I think you are forgetting that Matt Stafford retired Brady and his comeback bullshit with one magical pass to Cooper Kupp

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I think he has no shot if he retired today. But barring injury he has 5 years left at least and will no longer have the Lions stink on him, so that means pro-bowls, all pros and more time in the playoffs. Not to mention amassing huge counting stats of which he already has tons of stats. His case now is owning all Lions QB records, then going to another team and destroying the narrative that he sucked by immediately winning it all and being a huge part of why they won. There's a lot of what-if he hadn't been stuck on the Lions forever.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He’s going to finish top 10 in passing yards and TDs and has a Super Bowl. A few more good years with the Rams will wash the Lions stink off of him.

Stafford is basically at Joe Flacco right now, a fair bit below like freaking Drew Bledsoe. He needs another ring or two and a better back half of his career, c'mon now.

Dude's been to one pro bowl, he's had a couple of top 10 seasons for a QB in his career. He's not close.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Matt Stafford is Phillip rivers with a ring, he's going to the hall

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I like Stafford too, but HOF caliber is way too soon. Another year like this or better and I'll turn around on him though. There's just too many dud years in Detroit because, it's Detroit.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
if matt ryan doesn't take that 12 yard sack in the super bowl is he a hall of famer

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

wyoak posted:

if matt ryan doesn't take that 12 yard sack in the super bowl is he a hall of famer

Only if he asks out the cute jogger after

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Stafford's HOF chance rests entirely on what the Rams do after this. If the best players retire / quit without being replaced then he has no shot. If they can reload and win a couple more SB's then yes he's in.

Nov 6, 2002

Chucktesla posted:

Matt Stafford is Phillip rivers with a ring, he's going to the hall

lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You can say that about anyone though. If Ryan Tannehill wins a couple of Superbowls he's in!

Mahomes hasn't won a couple of super bowls. If Stafford plays as well as he did this year, the Rams will hopefully be in the divisional round another couple of times over the next 5 years, that's about all you can ask of anyone, and Stafford needs a hell of a lot to be a hall of famer.

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021
Yeah he should be much worse at his job like Troy Aikman or Jim Kelly then he can be in the hall of fame or whatever

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Idk what more a quarterback who will retire top ten all time in a bunch of QB counting stats and winning a super bowl by leading a game winning drive and throwing a no-look pass on said drive needs to do to be considered a future hall of famer

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021
Pro bowls

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp
I agree that if Stafford were to retire right now, he'd be a top candidate for the Hall of Very Good with no shot of getting a gold jacket. But if he continues to play at an extremely high level (and especially if he gets another ring), then I think he'll have a shot - in large part because the narrative will shift from "the Lions sucked and he was part of the Lions" to "he was always this good, the Lions just held him back" (which is what Lions fans have been saying for years).

Also, it's worth remembering that if he does win another championship, that's practically a lock for the Hall right there - there's only one eligible QB with multiple wins who isn't in the Hall.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Chucktesla posted:

Idk what more a quarterback who will retire top ten all time in a bunch of QB counting stats and winning a super bowl by leading a game winning drive and throwing a no-look pass on said drive needs to do to be considered a future hall of famer

Nothing. He’s also legitimately very well liked and respected in the league. He’s a players player which I imagine will help him a lot in voting.

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021
eric ebron gave him props the other night so I now retract my support for matthew

Nov 6, 2002

Chucktesla posted:

Idk what more a quarterback who will retire top ten all time in a bunch of QB counting stats

Because counting stats are worthless except as a measure of longevity and always going up, making his achievements look pretty meaningless.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Acebuckeye13 posted:

extremely high level

But.... he hasn't though. This was probably Stafford's best or 2nd best season and there's at least 5 guys who had better seasons then him.

The hall of fame is like hard to get into. Stafford played great this season, and was really good in the playoffs! But he's very far away from the hall of fame. Yes, if he starts playing like a perennial all pro, sure he will be. Except he hasn't done close to that ever in his career.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 15, 2022

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Stafford maybe would have a tough time getting into the hof is he had stayed with the Lions, but now that he has a ring all he has to do is continue to put up numbers that he has his entire career for a couple seasons and its an easy lock imo. Plus his history and stats as a consistently clutch QB in the 4th Quarter is nutty.

If you're a Lions fan like me, this SB run was not surprising whatsoever. *The day* he got traded, I was saying to another fellow goon that he was gonna win the SB this year. I think he's just been criminally underrated for so long that people are still processing just how bad the Lions bungled things up with him.

e: lol i just remembered those 2 seasons where the coaching staff on the Lions tried to get him to stop using the side-arm throw and his play suffered. Then he went back to it, and he rebounded *instantly*

Apples McGrind fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 15, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Because counting stats are worthless except as a measure of longevity and always going up, making his achievements look pretty meaningless.

And yet every QB in the top 10 for passing yards that has a ring is either in the hall or is going in easily.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Apples McGrind posted:

Stafford maybe would have a tough time getting into the hof is he had stayed with the Lions, but now that he has a ring all he has to do is continue to put up numbers that he has his entire career for a couple seasons and its an easy lock imo. Plus his history and stats as a consistently clutch QB in the 4th Quarter is nutty.

If you're a Lions fan like me, this SB run was not surprising whatsoever. *The day* he got traded, I was saying to another fellow goon that he was gonna win the SB this year. I think he's just been criminally underrated for so long that people are still processing just how bad the Lions bungled things up with him.

Out of curiosity, would you say he's better then Josh Allen or Russell Wilson or Brees? Between those two and Rodgers / Brady / Mahomes, I don't think there's any argument he was top 5 over the past, let's say 5 years. He has some argument up against Dak, and I think most everyone would take him over Cousins at this point (maybe there's a spreadsheet hero here, I dunno).

Over the next five Brady's out, Brees has been, Wilson and Rodgers likely drop off, but is Stafford likely to be better then the rest or Burrow or Herbert and anyone else who explodes out? (it would've been a joke to mention Burrow here last year) like Murray, Lawrence, Zach, Carr or whomever.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

And yet every QB in the top 10 for passing yards that has a ring is either in the hall or is going in easily.

Drew Bledsoe HoF!!!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Kalli posted:

Drew Bledsoe HoF!!!

Bledsoe is 17th.

If he plays another 4 seasons Stafford is going to finish somewhere around Big Ben or Favre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Bledsoe is 17th.

If he plays another 4 seasons Stafford is going to finish somewhere around Big Ben or Favre.

When Bledsoe retired he was 7th.