Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Kalli posted:

When Bledsoe retired he was 7th.

Probably should have not lost his job to Tom Brady the year they won that Super Bowl then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Bledsoe is 17th.

If he plays another 4 seasons Stafford is going to finish somewhere around Big Ben or Favre.

All this means is Stafford has started a lot of games in the modern era. If Stafford goes to the hall it should be after Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers, Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, Tony Romo, Cam Newton and maybe a few other QBs that don't deserve to be there.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Puppy Bowl posted:

All this means is Stafford has started a lot of games in the modern era. If Stafford goes to the hall it should be after Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers, Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, Tony Romo, Cam Newton and maybe a few other QBs that don't deserve to be there.

Eli is definitely going in, the rest of those guys don’t have rings or are Joe Flacco whom nobody anywhere gives a poo poo about.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kalli posted:

Out of curiosity, would you say he's better then Josh Allen or Russell Wilson or Brees? Between those two and Rodgers / Brady / Mahomes, I don't think there's any argument he was top 5 over the past, let's say 5 years. He has some argument up against Dak, and I think most everyone would take him over Cousins at this point (maybe there's a spreadsheet hero here, I dunno).

Over the next five Brady's out, Brees has been, Wilson and Rodgers likely drop off, but is Stafford likely to be better then the rest or Burrow or Herbert and anyone else who explodes out? (it would've been a joke to mention Burrow here last year) like Murray, Lawrence, Zach, Carr or whomever.

Drew Bledsoe HoF!!!

drew bledsoe isn't even close to the top 10 and didn't win a ring (in a game he played in). if you think that doesn't matter, however arbitrary it is, to the kind of people who vote on the hall of fame i think you are mistaken. He's likely to finish around 8-10 all time in tds and yards, with a ring. If bledsoe had played in the rams game and they still won, he would have gotten in, too, I'd bet, since he was in the top 10 before passing inflation.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

When Bledsoe retired he was 7th.

Thank you, exactly my point.

Counting stats are worthless as a measurement of HoF worthiness.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Who gives a poo poo about what he "deserves", what does that even mean? He's better than Troy Aikman or Terry Bradshaw. The Hall has never been about the "best" players and he'd be far from the worst one in it. Which he will be

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Thank you, exactly my point.

Counting stats are worthless as a measurement of HoF worthiness.

It’s rings and stats and Stafford has both now.

If he retired today I doubt he’d get in, but he’s got another four or five years to play on an actual good team.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

I love this shot because Von Bell is in the whole thing and you can literally watch him see Bell, realize he needs to move Bell out of the way, start looking at the shorter curl route and even kind of fake that he's about to throw, the second Bell moves out of the window no look pass. And it STILL just barely sails by his outsretched hand. Also of note is the incredible pass protection, there is literally no one within five yards of him.

It wasn't a no look but his other in breaking pass to Kupp in the niners game was equally nuts, he looked them off then just threw an absolute dart into great coverage in pretty much the only place that would've been a completion, any further ahead of Kupp or behind him, or any slower or faster of a pass and the ball doesn't get caught.

Just excellent stuff.

As to the conversation at hand, imo nothing is more boring than arguments over whether a player deserves the hall of fame years before their career ends and even more years before they are eligible. Stafford might hurt his back again this offseason and never play again for all we know. Plus caring about the hall of fame is caring about the opinions of a bunch of clueless crusty old boomer fucks

He'll get in or he won't, a lot depends on an unknown future and regardless it will change literally nothing about who he was as a player.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The problem is, he's not a first ballot HoFer under any stretch of the imagination. So he will have to wait. And while he waits his name in the record books will continue to slip as his statistical accomplishments continue to get buried. He needs another ring, or a handful of amazing playoff runs with the Rams to have a realistic shot.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
2-3 more good seasons in LA and he's in the hall.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp
Here's the thing about Stafford:

He's not the best QB in the league, and never will be. He can't drag a team into the playoffs singlehandedly like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

But he's good. drat good. He's always had a fantastic arm, and can easily chuck the ball across the field. He's got the velocity to thread the ball into holes that maybe 2-3 other QBs in the league could make. He can read a defense, make plays with his eyes, and has the intelligence and confidence to go deep when he needs to. And the man has absolute ice water in his veins - when the game is on the line, he will make the throws you need him to make. And even if he makes a mistake, he's not going to fall to pieces. He'll just get back up and get to making the throws he knows he can make.

In Detroit, this wasn't enough. He was had some great players alongside him at times, but not enough to overcome the best teams in the league. And this is why he struggled and was overlooked for so long, because everyone assumed that if the Lions sucked, that just meant Stafford wasn't good enough to elevate them - as if any QB was going to succeed with an organization that couldn't even get a guy to rush for 100 yards in a game for six straight seasons.

So yeah, he's not the best. But I'd argue he's more than good enough, and had he been with a better organization than the Lions he may have already made his case for the Hall. Now, only time will tell if he can put in enough seasons with a non-garbage team to convince everyone else of what Detroit already knows.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

He's really the best possible iteration of the "gently caress it, I'm going deep" QB. Or really more like "gently caress it, I'm gonna fit this ball in a window exactly the size of a football". It works more often than it doesn't, but when it doesn't work it's often catastrophic, Which is why he's pretty much always playing at either an MVP level or replacement level with very little in between.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

tinstaach posted:

He's really the best possible iteration of the "gently caress it, I'm going deep" QB. Or really more like "gently caress it, I'm gonna fit this ball in a window exactly the size of a football". It works more often than it doesn't, but when it doesn't work it's often catastrophic, Which is why he's pretty much always playing at either an MVP level or replacement level with very little in between.

He’s the new Favre.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

You mean Hall of Famer Brett Favre??? makes u think

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Play posted:

I love this shot because Von Bell is in the whole thing and you can literally watch him see Bell, realize he needs to move Bell out of the way, start looking at the shorter curl route and even kind of fake that he's about to throw, the second Bell moves out of the window no look pass. And it STILL just barely sails by his outsretched hand. Also of note is the incredible pass protection, there is literally no one within five yards of him.

It wasn't a no look but his other in breaking pass to Kupp in the niners game was equally nuts, he looked them off then just threw an absolute dart into great coverage in pretty much the only place that would've been a completion, any further ahead of Kupp or behind him, or any slower or faster of a pass and the ball doesn't get caught.

Just excellent stuff.
You can also see the point (before the ball leaves Stafford's hand) where Bell realizes he's being misdirected, but it's just barely too late.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm going to have to remind everybody that this is the thread to say nice things about Matt Stafford and saying he won't be able to go somewhere he would probably appreciate going is not nice.

Also, hall of fame discussions before a player is retired are dumb.

Also, also, the argument isnt even "he's not good enough right now vs. He is good enough right now", it's "He's not good enough right now vs. He may be good enough with more time." Which are completely different discussions that are just talking past each other, making it even dumber.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 15, 2022

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

MJeff posted:

Also, also, the argument isnt even "he's not good enough right now vs. He is good enough right now", it's "He's not good enough right now vs. He may be good enough with more time." Which are completely different discussions that are just talking past each other, making it even dumber.

Kalli posted:

You can say that about anyone though. If Ryan Tannehill wins a couple of Superbowls he's in!

Everybody seems to agree that if you do hall of fame poo poo for a while they put you in the hall. I predict Matt Stafford gets in if he does that stuff but not if he doesn't do the stuff.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
matthew stafford should be in the hall of fame right now while he is still playing

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Every year people insist that counting stats and probowls are meaningless and then every year when the HOF class is announced those things are directly referenced in the reasoning. He's for sure going to make the hall and if Kurt loving Warner is in, then he for sure deserves to be in.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

BlindSite posted:

Every year people insist that counting stats and probowls are meaningless and then every year when the HOF class is announced those things are directly referenced in the reasoning. He's for sure going to make the hall and if Kurt loving Warner is in, then he for sure deserves to be in.

:hai:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
this was the day after the super bowl

how hungover do you think he (and everyone else) is in this pic?

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021
Probably got the mobile IV going just like he had at his wedding

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Kalli posted:

Out of curiosity, would you say he's better then Josh Allen or Russell Wilson or Brees? Between those two and Rodgers / Brady / Mahomes, I don't think there's any argument he was top 5 over the past, let's say 5 years. He has some argument up against Dak, and I think most everyone would take him over Cousins at this point (maybe there's a spreadsheet hero here, I dunno).

Over the next five Brady's out, Brees has been, Wilson and Rodgers likely drop off, but is Stafford likely to be better then the rest or Burrow or Herbert and anyone else who explodes out? (it would've been a joke to mention Burrow here last year) like Murray, Lawrence, Zach, Carr or whomever.

Drew Bledsoe HoF!!!

Hard to definitively say about the younger guys because sometimes QBs will have really good seasons and then regress (lol remember when people thought Carson Wentz was gonna be the next elite guy?) I do think if he had been on a not poo poo team for so many years he’d already be in the conversation with Wilson and Brees. I also think the last stretch of his career is gonna be fun as people get to see him do some of the stuff that turned me into a superfan of his and I would not be shocked to see himget MVP at some point. Hell, if ends up getting to have a full season with Cooper Kupp AND Obj he’s gonna put up insane numbers.

But I drank the Stafford Kool-Aid long ago so feel free to note my bias

E: https://twitter.com/bigplay24slay/s...ingawful.com%2F

Apples McGrind fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 16, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

makes me shudder just thinking about it. doing an interview the day after you won the super bowl, what kind of hellish fiends would demand such a thing

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Apples McGrind posted:

Hard to definitively say about the younger guys because sometimes QBs will have really good seasons and then regress (lol remember when people thought Carson Wentz was gonna be the next elite guy?) I do think if he had been on a not poo poo team for so many years he’d already be in the conversation with Wilson and Brees. I also think the last stretch of his career is gonna be fun as people get to see him do some of the stuff that turned me into a superfan of his and I would not be shocked to see himget MVP at some point. Hell, if ends up getting to have a full season with Cooper Kupp AND Obj he’s gonna put up insane numbers.

But I drank the Stafford Kool-Aid long ago so feel free to note my bias

E: https://twitter.com/bigplay24slay/s...ingawful.com%2F

Btw, that's a comparison between 2009 Peyton Manning and 2021 Matthew Stafford

2009 average passing stats: 60.9% comp, 3500 yards, 22.2 TDs / 16.4 Ints, 83 passer rating
2021 average passing stats: 64.8% comp, 3900 yards, 26.3 TDs / 13.8 Ints, 91 passer rating.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I was hoping Stafford would do the Ovechkin thing of being perma drunk while singing WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS MY FRIEND for like 2 weeks solid

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/woodwardsports/status/1493712089730453507

:smith:

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

I miss him being in a Lions jersey so much

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Apples McGrind posted:

I miss him being in a Lions jersey so much
They sent him to a nice stadium across the country where his receivers run routes and catch balls, and his o linee keeps him upright most of the time, and the defense doesn't have him down by three scores before the half.

He's in a better place.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

McVay was still clearly drunk at his 9am press conference the day after so probably that

Play
Apr 25, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

They sent him to a nice stadium across the country where his receivers run routes and catch balls, and his o linee keeps him upright most of the time, and the defense doesn't have him down by three scores before the half.

He's in a better place.

if you truly love someone, sometimes it's best to set them free

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1494026416161132544?s=20&t=KBAuCkUViCjxdHX-CMsoVg

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

MJeff posted:

I'm going to have to remind everybody that this is the thread to say nice things about Matt Stafford and saying he won't be able to go somewhere he would probably appreciate going is not nice.

Also, hall of fame discussions before a player is retired are dumb.

At least let me say the guy upthread who thought Joe Flacco has a better HoF case than Stafford is deranged

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
he's hammered here

https://twitter.com/overtime/status/1494046064374079488

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Hahahaha that’s great

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I changed my mind from yesterday, put this man in the HoF immediately

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
tom brady gave him some advice:

https://twitter.com/tombrady/status/1494041757209841665?s=21

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

tinstaach posted:

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

tinstaach posted:

“Let’s goooo” - Matt Stafford, drunk, 2022

Apples McGrind fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BlindSite posted:

Excuse me, but Kurt Warner took the Cardinals to the SB. That alone gets you a HoF nod.