Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Michaelsoft Binbows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
LOL like humanity won't of evolved past the need for something so primitive as an "os" by 2023 or 2024 at the latest.

Like just piss directly on the device people. This poo poo ain't hard, the device will know what you want it to do.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Ubuntu

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Windows 8 lmao

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Mostly the nice animations and trackpad gestures and expose is what MS took from it, which were the only good things.

Animations serve no functional purpose (and I hate them with a burning passion but let's not go there), I use a mouse and keyboard and that expose thing looks like a glorified alt-tab

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Unfortunately once thr global supply chain fully breaks down we will all be using collapse os

http://collapseos.org/

Pretty excited for fallout style computing irl

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Your browser of choice.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Going outside.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Pressing enter on a file renames it instead of opening it lmao

I have no idea how anyone uses that trash

They just added folder merging like a year ago hahahahhaha

I thought you’d be good at MacOS being that it’s based on eunuchs. :smugmrgw:

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Weka posted:

Linux is the most popular personal computing OS in the form of Android.

that's cheating. it's like saying "C++ was the most popular video game in the 90's-2000's"

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

funeral home DJ posted:

I thought you’d be good at MacOS being that it’s based on eunuchs. :smugmrgw:

Let me guess, you're mad because you copy and pasted files into a folder on Mac OS and you lost half your data because one of the folders had the same name as another one

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
More like WackOS

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
PneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosOS

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
poo poo OS

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
i was in a compusa in the late 90s and i saw a beos demo machine

to show off its incredible power some worker opened up like 30 instances of a media player, all playing the same mp3

i dont know why you would want to play the same mp3 30 times simultaneously but beos could handle that poo poo no sweat

it was less great if you wanted to do anything else though

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

It'll be an OS that only shows the Amiga Juggler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7Px-ZkObTo&t=41s

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Charles Mansion posted:

i was in a compusa in the late 90s and i saw a beos demo machine

to show off its incredible power some worker opened up like 30 instances of a media player, all playing the same mp3

i dont know why you would want to play the same mp3 30 times simultaneously but beos could handle that poo poo no sweat

it was less great if you wanted to do anything else though

BeOS looks like a "Lindows" installation where those cost-cutting computer companies back in the early aughts decided to install some version of Linux skinned to look like Windows, which I'm certain worked great until Grandma needed to install "Windows Word" on her computer and got a rude awakening once her grandkid pointed out that she wasn't using Windows.

Not gonna lie, I wonder how many of those computers were returned by angry customers trying to install Windows-based applications and if it was worth saving the $50 in license fees or whatever.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hell astro course posted:

nobody wants windows 11 so now would be a good time to release your OS that is good and works

I just got the sell at my Windows Update. I guess my firmware is up to date.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Weka posted:

Animations UI’s serve no functional purpose (and I hate them with a burning passion but let's not go there), I use a mouse and keyboard and that expose thing looks like a glorified alt-tab and anything that requires a mouse or graphics to render is worthless.

There, that’s what you sound like. Many goons will unironically agree with this so I have just owned myself.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Uh, I know the distinction between a gui and a ui thank you very much. The sad part is I haven't run a pc in years.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Macs are pretty.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah pretty crappy

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Macintosh, more like Mac-in-trash amirite?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Crapple Wackintosh

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Yaldabaoth posted:

Do Linux fanboys still scream about "Current Year" being "The year of Linux on desktop" or have they given up on Linux going mainstream and have devolved into an insular cult?
No, but linux is starting to take off with gamers due to Valve supporting it, windows consistently screwing stuff up, and kde & gnome being about as simple to use as windows & macos these days. You can get up to 15%-20% more fps in linux depending on the game.

It has broken into younger generations' minds through that & raspberry pi type stuff. Computers in general are alien to certain parts of the younger generation who only know tablets, phones, and game consoles. They don't have the biased windows lockin of people who have had it bundled with everything since forever.

Things like WSL have also aided adoption a bit. As does every server imaginable running some flavor of linux. And every application being a web browser these days has accidentally created a lot of stuff that just works in linux.

Every OS is terrible in its own way and there's nothing that stands out as great. I use macOS for work, fedora/ubuntu for work, windows for certain audio/video recording and gaming stuff, and manjaro for home stuff. all of them have the same work flow: use alt+tab, press os key + type a few letters and hit enter to launch an application (os+space on macos, of course), switch workspaces, type some junk into a terminal sometimes (except windows unless you wanna google power shell, instead you navigate 10 generations of UI menus to find the useful setting that's increasingly buried).

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 2, 2022

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Haiku

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They named the 12th windows “Windows 360” because when you see it you turn 360 degrees and walk away

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Windows '99

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
For real though one of these years they're gonna name the new Windows version just Windows™

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

microshaft winblows

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Everyones covid vaccines will go live with 5g and the chips in it and the OS will be whatever flavor you went with.

Moderna OS for me.

Personal pcs will now be in your bloodstream.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Entropic posted:

For real though one of these years they're gonna name the new Windows version just Windows™

Then the sequel will be The Windows.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
The best personal computing platform died with Commodore in 1994, meanwhile Linux is real good and Windows is collapsing under the weight of decades of patches, quick fixes and half-implemented features.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Macs dont crash or get viruses

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016
The answer is JesOS, you godless fucks.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That NK Linux distro maybe

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

scott zoloft posted:

Macs dont crash or get viruses

When you have 9% marketshare why bother writing a virus for it

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

Windows
Rise of the Windows
Shadow of the Windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Window
Windows
Window3