Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

it was console not computer but that reminds of me Zombies Ate My Neighbors, probably my favorite game as a wee lad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

tag urself im SEE decent americans terrorized

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Lady Radia posted:

im the crying uncle :smith:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ugh.. okay I'll be the squealing teenage girl

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
im the tandy graphics adapter

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
im the ant

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
I played sick one day so I could finish running through linux from scratch lol

I definitely had no idea what I was even doing, just having fun copying and pasting the commands I guess

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

An cruiscin lan
Mar 4, 2020
Montie Mick's death ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvOulI0htVE

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

they had 48k gaming back then? :eyepop: my monitor is only 4k

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

agp

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

post hole digger posted:

wot is this

i loved big bug movies as a kid. beginning of the end, them, tarantula. good poo poo op.

kingdom of the spiders with william shatner

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

AMR and CNR slots

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

this is pretty ownsge and I like how it just sticks with it’s crazy music

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
My first computer in the house was an IBM clone called like a "magitronic." It ran DOS 3.0. Probably my oldest computer memory. My dad had set it up so it loaded "MENU.EXE" on boot so I could just type a letter to launch like sesame street games and the MS-DOS editor, which I used to write my book reports.

I desperately wanted to learn about computers so I took a copy of "DOS for Dummies" my aunt was getting rid of and read it cover to cover. My first technical book. I became obsessed with edlin for some deranged reason.

Tangent: My aunt happened into becoming a sysadmin by being a secretary at a place that installed a bunch of SunOS systems and she administrated it for like 30 years, despite never becoming generally savvy with computers (outside of that niche environment.) She always supported my attempts to try to learn about computers though and her coworkers gave me books about c and later c++ and it was on her IBM clone (No idea who made it) that I wrote my first BASIC program. I was so excited that I stood up on the chair and screamed.

Feeling embarrassed for admitting to enjoying touching so much computer but here we are: /

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

this looks fun as gently caress and I have def heard the song on a c64 music compilation

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

taking a cdrom of some game to my friends house but being so afraid of being bullied for being a nerd I stuffed it down the front of my pants for the walk lol

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

cowboy beepboop posted:

taking a cdrom of some game to my friends house but being so afraid of being bullied for being a nerd I stuffed it down the front of my pants for the walk lol

solidarity brother

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Scud Hansen posted:

I desperately wanted to learn about computers so I took a copy of "DOS for Dummies" my aunt was getting rid of and read it cover to cover. My first technical book. I became obsessed with edlin for some deranged reason.

the reason why kids these days know nothing about computers is probably because there's no books nor manuals anymore

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lady Radia posted:

i'm the soft mirror

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

when i was 12 or so my friend's fam went on holiday somewhere and they asked me to feed their cat while they were away. the stepdad had a beast computer - p133, 32MB of ram, the whole thing. so I took the opportunity while they were away to copy some games off. I didn't have any disks tho. I looked in his drawer and found his original monkey island discs. so, I copied them onto their hard drive, formatted the disks, and hten copied my poo poo

but then when I went to copy back to them once I was done a couple of days later, I realised I'd done a `cp a: c:\fart` or something like that - the files hadn't all copied across as far as i could tell, instead there was one big flat file. i was an idiot 12 year old and probably could have got all the poo poo back but instead I just formatted the disks, stuck them back in the drawer, and never spoke of it again. until now

ps i overfed the cat and they mildly complained about it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gentle Autist posted:

when i was 12 or so my friend's fam went on holiday somewhere and they asked me to feed their cat while they were away. the stepdad had a beast computer - p133, 32MB of ram, the whole thing. so I took the opportunity while they were away to copy some games off. I didn't have any disks tho. I looked in his drawer and found his original monkey island discs. so, I copied them onto their hard drive, formatted the disks, and hten copied my poo poo

but then when I went to copy back to them once I was done a couple of days later, I realised I'd done a `cp a: c:\fart` or something like that - the files hadn't all copied across as far as i could tell, instead there was one big flat file. i was an idiot 12 year old and probably could have got all the poo poo back but instead I just formatted the disks, stuck them back in the drawer, and never spoke of it again. until now

ps i overfed the cat and they mildly complained about it

Ok story time

When i was idk like 26 or something I went on my first grown up vacation for 10 days or so. I asked my friend - lets call him Craig - to watch the place while I was gone, and if he wanted to hang out and play mario bros on the snes he was welcome to.

So i come back 10 days later and Craig has definitely played a certain amount of super mario bros, but he left the place a huge mess, including leaving just half a pizza laying in the kitchen. I lived over a restaurant so pests were always a problem, and the ants had found the pizza and they had found it for at least 3 or 4 days because the trail of ants leading to the pizza was 2 inches thick at points. So I cursed a lot and got the vacuum cleaner and started sucking up the ants. The trail led from the window up and over the fridge, in the gap between the fridge and freezer door, out onto the counter and onto the pizza. After like half an hour i'd gotten the pizza thrown out and most of the ants cleaned up.

Or so I thought! So after all this is done, I open the fridge to get something and it is at this moment that I remembered that the magnetic seal on the fridge had a kink in it and it had a gap in the seal. I opened the door and looked under the gap, which happened to be the egg tray. Which were all full of dead ants, like probably say 2 cups of dead ants. Like maybe half a liter for our metric friends. Barf. Ok so whatever i'll just throw em out.

BUT NO!

So turns out that ants will hibernate or some poo poo because as im standing there telling my gf how gross this is and how i hate Craig, a half liter of ants are waking up. They are sort of groggy and shambing about but i feel something on my arm hair and EUUGH just this solid writhing ant chunk

Anyway they went into the vaccuum too and then i put the vacuum bag in the trash and sprayed it with ant spray and never let Craig housesit again.

Thats my housesitting story, hope u liked it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

struggling to get test drive 2's high density diskettes to load in a low-density drive, convinced it "almost worked" that time and maybe if i just kept at it...

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

wow no thank you

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

gently caress craig

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

dont at me craig. you are not welcome in this thread

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
being 10yo and walking into the living room and my dad is sat cross legged in front of our new C64 typing in the 'balloon' program from the manual (this is literally the instant i changed from bmx nerd to computer nerd)

buying £1.99 games on tape from the newsagent based totally on if the cover and screenshots looked cool

getting home and the game doesn't load and then flipping the tape and hoping the other side worked

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh yeah disks that didn't work, or had errors

can anyone who knows amiga tell me why when you copied prince of persia in xcopy you had to use the extreme purple mode that was hella slow and that was the only game I remember that required extreme copying

remembering copying a game with a single drive? it'd read a bit of it to ram and then youd swap disks and write, and then do a bit more the disk. some people had so much memory they only needed to read once

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

echinopsis posted:

remembering copying a game with a single drive? it'd read a bit of it to ram and then youd swap disks and write, and then do a bit more the disk. some people had so much memory they only needed to read once
yeah but i didn't care because

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

toiletbrush posted:

such an upsetting field

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

rotor posted:

ant story

growing up where i lived there was always a few days every summer when there would be millions of those giant flying carpenter ants everywhere, you could see them crawling on the street from your living room. anyway id take one of those gallon ice cream pails and start collecting ants and fill it up probably half or 3/4 full of live ants. i can still vividly remember how it sounded hearing them all crawling over each other. it also had a distinct sorta sour smell.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

toiletbrush posted:

i never understood at the time why almost none of these scrubs made disk copy programs that went all the way to cylinder 82, it was the only way to defeat marble madness copy protection

I also don't understand why marble madness was like the only game that did this, maybe it wasn't actually working on all floppy drives.

after all you just programmatically turned on a step motor to move the heads inwards or outwards and I'm not sure all the drives handled it gracefully when trying to move too far :v:

one of the only program I knew of that could copy track 82 was this

you had to drag and drop the disks into the drive slots to start the copy :3:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

polyester concept posted:

growing up where i lived there was always a few days every summer when there would be millions of those giant flying carpenter ants everywhere, you could see them crawling on the street from your living room. anyway id take one of those gallon ice cream pails and start collecting ants and fill it up probably half or 3/4 full of live ants. i can still vividly remember how it sounded hearing them all crawling over each other. it also had a distinct sorta sour smell.

yeah ants have a very specific smell if you get a lot of em together

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rotor posted:

yeah ants have a very specific smell if you get a lot of em together

it’s formic acid op

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

[whimsically] computer....

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

it’s formic acid op

screw you! YOURE formic acid!

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
i'm so sick of all these ants

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Anthill Inside

Credit to Terry Pratchett

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
ants in my kitchen, ants in my bathroom, ants in the hall. i remove all the crumbs and yet they come. i put out 20 ant traps and yet they come

you ever read Leiningen Versus the Ants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Scud Hansen posted:

ants in my kitchen, ants in my bathroom, ants in the hall. i remove all the crumbs and yet they come. i put out 20 ant traps and yet they come

you ever read Leiningen Versus the Ants?

i read it in 10th grade op