Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

harperdc posted:

News: The WEC entry list has been released, find the PDF linked here

Views: 13 Hypercars in that class, including the loving ByKolles Vanwall with Jacques by-god Villeneuve listed as a driver?!?!

I don’t know if I want them to make it or not. It’s absolute banter fodder either way.

Lmao Jacques why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I wish Toyota put together something for IMSA under the TRD brand. I think it'd be cool.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

net work error posted:

I wish Toyota put together something for IMSA under the TRD brand. I think it'd be cool.

With the U.S. I gather it’s down to a Toyota HQ vs Toyota USA contrast of priorities. There was even rumor of a Lexus LMDh separate from the Toyota Hypercar earlier simply because of the different budgets and goals.

It would be cool if they got to the place where the Toyotas and Peugeots could at least come to play at Daytona, but that might be 2024-25 or later in this generation.

Thessaly
Nov 2, 2002
Caught a ride with the moon

Pvt. Public posted:

Anyone in here going to the Rolex 24hr at Daytona in a couple weeks? My (now retired) dad and I will be there in one of the hospitality areas.

We’ll be there as media.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

net work error posted:

They’ve got a car in both GT classes, and ran a solo GrandAm program years ago. Could happen! Gotta think the mothership wouldn’t like the competition with their program tho

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I haven't heard anything since the initial rumors but I am holding out hope for a Dodge badged Peugeot LMH with the splitter painted yellow

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I haven't heard anything since the initial rumors but I am holding out hope for a Dodge badged Peugeot LMH with the splitter painted yellow

Viper GT3 car when.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

net work error posted:

AAR Eagle MkIV :getin:

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Virtual LeMans on, some bloke called Max Verstappen leading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJgY698nD4k

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

24 hours of Dubai is also on if you don't want to watch that dutch trashman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA2z9YT14HU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's ok, he had a connection issue and ragequit.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I enjoy the yearly tradition of Motorsport Games loving up their one big event.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I think they're going to struggle for entries next year if they don't do something. The little teams won't want to pony up the several grand and Porsche/Peugeot/Williams/AMG/Redline etc do not like to made to look like idiots.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah but Romain Grosjean said why are you complaining it's no different to having mechanical issues in a real race (Grosjean is a Motorsport Games shareholder and technical advisor) so I'm sure they'll all be back next year so long as the license checks keep somehow clearing and this remains the only legally permissible virtual Le Mans 24h. Lot of doubt over that part but MSG has been on the brink of bankruptcy for multiple years at this point and somehow still have the money to buy exclusivity for the Indycar license so who the gently caress knows.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The got the Indy license in summer 2021 just before all the 'oops no money' stuff first came up, this year is the year they have to release something to retain that license and I'd assume the Le Mans deal will have something similar.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Vando posted:

this year is the year they have to release something

It will be very very interesting to see what shape it will be in!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

harperdc posted:

It will be very very interesting to see what shape it will be in!

I'm sure it will follow in the storied tradition of NASCAR Ignition

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, the new game releases I've seen tied to Motorsport Games are Nascar Ignition (Didn't work) and KartKraft (Missing 75% of its feature set and recently they broke another 10% for multiple weeks).

I wouldn't suggest a pre-order.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kartkraft was an existing hot mess before MSG bought the devs and actually released it, so arguably that’s a positive result.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Under Wadoux’s announcement today Catsburg asked the following:

https://twitter.com/nickcatsburg/status/1614986231732965380

How is it supposed to work?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Brass Hand posted:

How is it supposed to work?

If you're a factory driver you're automatically at least Gold, and taking a factory drive also upgrades you outside of the usual year end regrade point.

There is a small amount of flexibility though because the criterion in question is "is a factory driver with results to match" so it could be argued the results aren't there yet.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Vando posted:

If you're a factory driver you're automatically at least Gold, and taking a factory drive also upgrades you outside of the usual year end regrade point.

There is a small amount of flexibility though because the criterion in question is "is a factory driver with results to match" so it could be argued the results aren't there yet.

Ah okay I was wondering as there was absolutely some salt in the question but I couldn’t understand

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
All the major manufacturers have had 'factory' silvers for years. BMW runs an entire junior team of up and coming drivers in the NLS. Porsche has their "selected" drivers which are factory supported silvers like Christina Nielsen was for a few years. Catsburg is just posturing and politicking against a rival manufacturer as all good pro drivers will do.

And it's not like Wadoux is a sneaky silver or anything like that, she's a very good driver but I don't think she's gold/plat material just yet.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

All the major manufacturers have had 'factory' silvers for years. BMW runs an entire junior team of up and coming drivers in the NLS. Porsche has their "selected" drivers which are factory supported silvers like Christina Nielsen was for a few years.

There are specific tiers of factory support listed in the rules to address this (I think it goes works/development/junior) so I'm pretty sure she'll just get listed as one of those lower tiers when it comes down to it, it's probably something like BMW got hosed over by this rule at some point in the past so Catsburg is doing the 'but but you said we're not allowed to do that this is UNFAIR' routine.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Vando posted:

Thanks I never really understood that

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Ott Tanak went back to Ford, Craig Breen back to Hyundai, Esapekka Lappi to Hyundai, and Takamoto Katsuta is now part of Toyota main team.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

njsykora posted:

Kartkraft was an existing hot mess before MSG bought the devs and actually released it, so arguably that’s a positive result.

Oh yeah, they were starting from the point of no updates or communication for 3 full years.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

https://twitter.com/RonCapps28/status/1616977510394384384

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Jehde posted:

Ott Tanak went back to Ford, Craig Breen back to Hyundai, Esapekka Lappi to Hyundai, and Takamoto Katsuta is now part of Toyota main team.

Glad Lappi has a permanent drive this season.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

GTP covered by .8 seconds is a pretty good start

499 spotted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ize1rE7T8fE

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

spaceblancmange posted:

GTP covered by .8 seconds is a pretty good start

i was shocked there wasnt a bigger overall spread or more obvious tiers of performance between gtp teams

next weekends going to be fun

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sexual Lorax posted:

i was shocked there wasnt a bigger overall spread or more obvious tiers of performance between gtp teams

THIS weekend!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

net work error posted:

THIS weekend!

Oh drat I should refresh the thread, huh

Will get to that later today.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Sexual Lorax posted:

I know it's early but you're dealing with a formula of explicit and aggressive BoPing. They'll be close if they have to attach a parachute to the back of the Porsche to make it so.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
My dad always gripes that they hamstring the output of the Corvettes too much.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Isn't the Vette still technically illegal? i.e - A GTE car running with ballast rather than something that actually qualifies as GT3.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Isn't the Vette still technically illegal? i.e - A GTE car running with ballast rather than something that actually qualifies as GT3.

How many years did they run the BMW Z4 in GTLM form in IMSA? That was a pure GT3 that they allowed to run as well.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I entirely lost track with that, BMW seemed to launch about 4 GT3ish spec cars in the space of no time at all.

Much like Hyundai and their 3 separate TCR cars for some reason.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Dudley posted:

I know it's early but you're dealing with a formula of explicit and aggressive BoPing. They'll be close if they have to attach a parachute to the back of the Porsche to make it so.

this sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole on bop/eot stuff so thanks

is there any information available to fans about the degree to which each car is handicapped or is that secret sauce so casuals like me can be ignorant and happy about the tight racing

edit

found this but have no idea how to interpret it https://www.imsa.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/32/2023/01/12/TB-IWSC-23-12-GTP-BoP-ROAR-01122023.pdf

Sexual Lorax fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XySlnWVj7I

Mx-5 Cup at Daytona Race 1

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 27, 2023