Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Daily SportsCar has more in a conversation with Ford Performance's boss about the choice to build a GT3 car

quote:

“Because you start with a production body in white, you start with a Coyote production block and heads. And certainly, if you’re in LMDH, it’s not that. That doesn’t mean LMDH is wrong. It just means for us we are putting more emphasis on the direct relevance.”

“We race Mustang in NASCAR. We race it in Australian Supercars and now we can take the same car, a Mustang GT3 and sell it or race it around the world starting with a production body in white which NASCAR and Australian Supercars don’t do. So for us, it’s that deeper relevance and the ability to do it in every market around the world. We sell Mustang around the world, so it makes sense to race the same car.”

it's interesting that twice in there the head of the project/department mentions directly a 'body in white' -- aka a production car, at least the body and bare chassis of one. And of a 'standard' Coyote V8 engine, too, which is also interesting.

why 'interesting'? I would imagine starting with a Mustang is a bit of a different place than starting with a supercar like an Audi R8, a Ferrari or Lamborghini, or even something more purpose-built at a higher price point like the new M4. Ditto for the engine. But considering this Mustang GT3 project is being worked on by Multimatic, aka the people who cooked up the Ford GT...I think they'll be fine. and it'll certainly be cool to have an American V8 out there thumping around in places like potentially Super GT, the SRO series in Europe, at the Bathurst 12 Hours, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
https://twitter.com/WSeriesRacing/status/1491064424723103748

nothing says trans rights in motorsport better than a team principal that doesn't think trans women should compete in women's sports, and also killed someone with her car

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

Daily SportsCar has more in a conversation with Ford Performance's boss about the choice to build a GT3 car

it's interesting that twice in there the head of the project/department mentions directly a 'body in white' -- aka a production car, at least the body and bare chassis of one. And of a 'standard' Coyote V8 engine, too, which is also interesting.

why 'interesting'? I would imagine starting with a Mustang is a bit of a different place than starting with a supercar like an Audi R8, a Ferrari or Lamborghini, or even something more purpose-built at a higher price point like the new M4. Ditto for the engine. But considering this Mustang GT3 project is being worked on by Multimatic, aka the people who cooked up the Ford GT...I think they'll be fine. and it'll certainly be cool to have an American V8 out there thumping around in places like potentially Super GT, the SRO series in Europe, at the Bathurst 12 Hours, etc.

The engine itself is definitely race capable, just need to replace the parts that don't like to live at high RPM forever. Ford apparently is going to be using the same engine they're planning on using in GT3 in Supercars, so keep an eye on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEuaNI-LA3w&t=37s

Here's the Gen 3 Supercars Mustang in testing, if you want to hear what it should sound like.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 8, 2022

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Neat
https://twitter.com/Cadillac/status/1491413352308174851

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Level of blue balls is killing me.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the 2022 Asian Le Mans Series is set to kickoff this weekend, with two races today and tomorrow at Dubai Autodrome followed by two races next week at Yes Marina in Abu Dhabi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah09mWCNWIQ

Should be fun watches, the series staying closer to Europe means the quality might be a touch higher than in the past, but it is a shame they can't do the proper pre-2020 tour of major Asian countries for obvious reasons. Here's hoping this is the last of the UAE special series they have to run.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Weirdly an indication of the health of the rest of the racing world is the big decline in entries, because people don't feel they NEED this to prepare anymore, the normal seasons are all happening.

But 4 LMP2s, with 1 handed a massive advantage by being the only all-pro car and not having pitstop restrictions didn't make for a good race at the front.

GT though...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
No Peugot this year, which is not unexpected but still sad.

Next year still going to be amazing if we get there.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

No Peugot this year, which is not unexpected but still sad.

Next year still going to be amazing if we get there.

No Peugeot at Le Mans in particular, but it might still be able to make it to Monza and Bahrain. Hope they do make it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Looks like Audi are gone, welcome to the slump period of the sportscar cycle.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's happened earlier than expected.

Audi's a bit strange since they were essentially "Pay a team to run the car Porsche are testing". You wonder if this means anything for the Porsche program.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dudley posted:

It's happened earlier than expected.

Audi's a bit strange since they were essentially "Pay a team to run the car Porsche are testing". You wonder if this means anything for the Porsche program.

It was a bit weird that Volkswagen had Audi, Porsche, and Lamborghini all as potential LMDh teams, it would be very strange to finance 3 race teams and programs when they can get the job done with less.

I don't think it will impact Porsche's program at all, might impact Lamborghini depending on how things go, Lamborghini has been a bit recalcitrant to tolerate racing endeavors under its brand historically, because of Ferruccio Lamborghini's stance on racing (loving hated racing and saw it as a waste of money).

Lamborghini is a land of contrasts and who the gently caress knows if the Lamborghini LMDh will come to fruition or just disappear, but Porsche will definitely stick around for at least a season if only so they can win and say they beat everyone's rear end at racing again.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 12, 2022

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The original rumor at the time of the LMDh announce was same chassis for sure, with some thought that Audi (DTM turbo four) and Porsche (the twin-turbo V8) would use different engines to help differentiate. Considering the investment and potential for customers, even that plan seems like a slam dunk, especially given Audi’s customer success.

One problem: Audi USA isn’t on board with much of this. There apparently has been real reluctance for Audi USA to pay their way along with what the HQ wants to do dating back to the R8s, so it’s little surprise their GT3 support has also slowed down.

So, Audi possibly looking at a WEC team and customers in just the WEC is probably why they’re pulling out.

What about Lamborghini? They have some more support in the US for the Trofeo rich-dude series and also a GT3 they’re doing more to support there as well. The rumors before were that Lambo LMDhs would be customer cars only, so I can see them wanting to do that in IMSA and the WEC in a couple years.

There’s also a chance for Bentley, but I’m not sure that was going to be more than a small works team (from a rich customer) targeting Le Mans on the anniversary year.

So, that sucks, especially for a few teams trying to line up Audi factory roles. I guess we’ll see if any other brands from VAG jump in to take that spot.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

The original rumor at the time of the LMDh announce was same chassis for sure, with some thought that Audi (DTM turbo four) and Porsche (the twin-turbo V8) would use different engines to help differentiate. Considering the investment and potential for customers, even that plan seems like a slam dunk, especially given Audi’s customer success.

One problem: Audi USA isn’t on board with much of this. There apparently has been real reluctance for Audi USA to pay their way along with what the HQ wants to do dating back to the R8s, so it’s little surprise their GT3 support has also slowed down.

So, Audi possibly looking at a WEC team and customers in just the WEC is probably why they’re pulling out.

What about Lamborghini? They have some more support in the US for the Trofeo rich-dude series and also a GT3 they’re doing more to support there as well. The rumors before were that Lambo LMDhs would be customer cars only, so I can see them wanting to do that in IMSA and the WEC in a couple years.

There’s also a chance for Bentley, but I’m not sure that was going to be more than a small works team (from a rich customer) targeting Le Mans on the anniversary year.

So, that sucks, especially for a few teams trying to line up Audi factory roles. I guess we’ll see if any other brands from VAG jump in to take that spot.

I figure the Lambo LMDh effort will be customer-only, if it survives instead of falling to the cutting room floor. They have rich guy series like Super Trofeo but there's little/no factory support or appetite to support a works program from what I can tell at Lamborghini, since their finances have always been shaky at best.

Audi USA being shitters has been a thing for a while, it's kind of amazing that the idea of a works based Audi team is still coasting on the last fumes of racing success from 12 years ago with the R8, but then again people also romanticize the 787B when it was a poo poo car except for winning Le Mans via a special weight restriction exemption giving it better fuel mileage than the other prototypes. (The Mazda was allowed to be 375lb lighter than any car in the C2 class, because they sandbagged and Jackie Ickx rules lawyered until FISA agreed that they should be allowed to run at the lighter weight.)

So we have
Porsche - Not vaporware, we promise, we're not Audi, we actually have a car that has tested in the real world!
Audi - Dead as gently caress
Acura - Still kicking
BMW - Thankfully does not have beaver teeth, 2023 IMSA, 2024 WEC/Le Mans.
Cadillac - Field will probably be silly with Cadillac cars.
Lamborghini - Possibly a thing, who knows, historically finances have not supported a factory race effort, but customer program is a a solid maybe, Lamborghini's finances were hurt badly again (-50% projected revenue) during the 2018 recession, and then the covid follow up in 2019 and onward.
Alpine - Should be a thing, who knows, I don't actually know much about their LMDh effort. Agreed to a 4 year program starting in 2024.

Who else is supposed to go in the 2024 block?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 12, 2022

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Porsche isn't even joking vaporware, they're the first testing an LMDh out there and have Penske working for both testing and with an LMP2 in the WEC. It'll happen.

It's not really clear who else would come or would want to right now. Ford said they're not looking at it right now, and not supplying power, so the rumor for a minute of a McLaren-Ford entry won't take off. I don't think Nissan or Mazda would, though Toyota could possibly bring the LMH car over to play for the 36 Hours of Florida and also Petit Le Mans. I know I put a couple other rumors in the OP of this thread too.

orange juche posted:

but then again people also romanticize the 787B when it was a poo poo car except for winning Le Mans via a special weight restriction exemption giving it better fuel mileage than the other prototypes. (The Mazda was allowed to be 375lb lighter than any car in the C2 class, because they sandbagged and Jackie Ickx rules lawyered until FISA agreed that they should be allowed to run at the lighter weight.)

yeah but it sounds amazing :colbert: and all the new-era Group C cars that year aimed shotguns at their feet and pulled the triggers

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

Porsche isn't even joking vaporware, they're the first testing an LMDh out there and have Penske working for both testing and with an LMP2 in the WEC. It'll happen.

It's not really clear who else would come or would want to right now. Ford said they're not looking at it right now, and not supplying power, so the rumor for a minute of a McLaren-Ford entry won't take off. I don't think Nissan or Mazda would, though Toyota could possibly bring the LMH car over to play for the 36 Hours of Florida and also Petit Le Mans. I know I put a couple other rumors in the OP of this thread too.

yeah but it sounds amazing :colbert: and all the new-era Group C cars that year aimed shotguns at their feet and pulled the triggers

Oh yeah I haven't even looked at LMH, I was specifically looking at LMDh.
Toyota - Doing really good with their LMH, and won hugely in 2021 with it
Peugeot - has their cool wingless thing that will be neat to watch, possibly can offer actual competition to Toyota this year. Will miss 2022 1000 Miles of Sebring, but should make round 2 of the WEC, 6H of Spa., and Spa, and Le Mans lol, maybe they will run at Monza?
Glickenhaus - Exists, doesn't do very well vs the Toyotas, better than ByKolles, but only by virtue of sometimes finishing races without DNF/DSQ.
ByKolles - can't burn as much dodgy ducats by doing LMDh so they will stick with LMH and lose repeatedly, everyone loves a punching bag. Dead.
Ferrari - Will exist in 2023 LMH. 2024 they're hopeful to do IMSA post-convergence, but depends on success and interest.

Once convergence happens in 2024, we should have 10 9 10 different works or customer programs at least in the top class of prototypes, so we're not in the slump cycle, unless it massively derails before 2024.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 12, 2022

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Only “major” OEMs are allowed in LMDh, and ‘boutique’ manufacturers are okay in LMH. However, ByKolles are neither, so they need a partner to keep the grift going. They weren’t allowed in for 2022.

Peugeot not likely to appear until Monza sadly :smith:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

Only “major” OEMs are allowed in LMDh, and ‘boutique’ manufacturers are okay in LMH. However, ByKolles are neither, so they need a partner to keep the grift going. They weren’t allowed in for 2022.

Peugeot not likely to appear until Monza sadly :smith:

Yeah the no on 6 Hours of Spa basically hands the 2022 championship to Toyota unless the necessary evil that is BoP reins in the Toyotas and stops them from running away from the SCG cars.

E: WEC rejecting ByKolles is hilarious, but I guess the bribes weren't big enough this year.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 12, 2022

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://twitter.com/eliz_blackstock/status/1504506671858597892?s=20&t=7XfuScgXZHC-45qOHvDyAw

:thunk:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

That rocks incredibly hard. It might be the loudest thing on the track too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

That loving rules.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

algebra testes posted:

That loving rules.

I didn’t realise this was even possible, but it’s the mechanism that allowed the Delta Wing to race. Get an Aussie V8SC over to France too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

not gonna lie, when I saw "NASCAR and IMSA have a joint press conference" I didn't think we were getting "NASCAR's Next Gen car as a Garage 56 entry in 2023," but can't say I'm upset about it.

Now give it a proper beer sponsor and a trio of American drivers and we'll be set. Jimmie Johnson should be open that weekend...

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Obligatory cornering joke goes somewhere around here.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
One of the articles about this said they were aiming for GTE Am pace, in which case they would presumably be allowed to shed some of the NASCAR weight and maybe otherwise make it somewhat more of a regular left-AND-right turnin' racin' car for this special occasion. And supposedly the ACO pres says they'll need to run the 2024 hybrid.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

marshalljim posted:

And supposedly the ACO pres says they'll need to run the 2024 hybrid.

If they’re introducing it for the 2024 season, the hybrid system should be well under development by May and June 2023. I don’t think that’ll be a problem, even if it’s “pre-production” it’ll be at an advanced stage of development and beyond the first test rounds.

Tire spec and fuel spec will be important details as well. But hey, NASCAR putting a bit of money into this as a project isn’t exactly a bad thing.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

marshalljim posted:

One of the articles about this said they were aiming for GTE Am pace, in which case they would presumably be allowed to shed some of the NASCAR weight and maybe otherwise make it somewhat more of a regular left-AND-right turnin' racin' car for this special occasion. And supposedly the ACO pres says they'll need to run the 2024 hybrid.

I mean its a downforce car with a huge undertray and sequential shift gearbox now, and the series runs 50% more road course races a year than the Asian Le Mans Series which somehow still gets guaranteed LeMans entries so. :shrug:

Cygni fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 18, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Owns

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Obligatory photo of the original NASCAR Le Mans car, and I love the additional headlights on it

Also forget V8SC, they should bring a Turismo Carretera car to Le Mans

Only registered members can see post attachments!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Obligatory photo of the original NASCAR Le Mans car, and I love the additional headlights on it

Also forget V8SC, they should bring a Turismo Carretera car to Le Mans

there were two cars! and the other one was this fantastic monstrosity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0nhkuJuBzI

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
btw if you don't know what turismo carretera is, it's the most popular racing series in Argentina and also the oldest continuously operating racing series on the planet, having run since the 1930s

it's kinda like if mods had become the national series for NASCAR instead of stock cars, the cars are all very modified versions of 1960s sedan cars (this is an Argentine Ford Falcon). you might know it as "that series that keeps showing up in those compilations of massive crashes from South American racing series". also Norberto Fontana won the series once, and Norberto Fontana is cool.

also there were a bunch of weird things over the years, like the series having co-drivers until like 2010. or that they still raced on public roads on occasion until the late 90s.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Scary crash with one of the Toyota's at Sebring just now. Driver is ok thankfully.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah that was huge, screwed the 8's race too, they ahd to take emergency service for fuel after the red flag

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jim Glickenhaus shut the gently caress up challenge

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

btw if you don't know what turismo carretera is, it's the most popular racing series in Argentina and also the oldest continuously operating racing series on the planet, having run since the 1930s

it's kinda like if mods had become the national series for NASCAR instead of stock cars, the cars are all very modified versions of 1960s sedan cars (this is an Argentine Ford Falcon). you might know it as "that series that keeps showing up in those compilations of massive crashes from South American racing series". also Norberto Fontana won the series once, and Norberto Fontana is cool.

also there were a bunch of weird things over the years, like the series having co-drivers until like 2010. or that they still raced on public roads on occasion until the late 90s.

They also have a track that's like, what if Indy had chicanes at the end of each straight and it kinda owns???

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

algebra testes posted:

They also have a track that's like, what if Indy had chicanes at the end of each straight and it kinda owns???

Rafaela, which I think is actually the longest non-test track oval track out there at 2.9 miles. Indy actually ran the oval once in one of their weird 1970s overseas races.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Uhhh looks ominous

https://twitter.com/fiawec/status/1504965666062934018?s=21

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah bit of an anticlimax there at the end. Track is gonna be hella green for tomorrow though, with the rain that did finally come after they called the race.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

net work error posted:

Scary crash with one of the Toyota's at Sebring just now. Driver is ok thankfully.

Jose Maria Lopez may be many things but he keeps driving like an Am driver. Toyota needs to find a better Brazilian or Argentinian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This back to back Sebring 8 hours, 12 hours, seems like it would be a great event