Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

We’re in Virginia for the imaginatively named Virginia Nationals. Brittany Force has set the track record twice with stiff competition from Austin Prock and Steve Torrance.

https://twitter.com/jfr_racing/status/1525276209382293505?s=21&t=Yqt30vd7YwpukusqB3PE5g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Halfway through the 12hr and only 3 cars are still on the lead lap. The weather is also being fairly changeable so more rain might appear before the end of the race

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Halfway through the 12hr and only 3 cars are still on the lead lap. The weather is also being fairly changeable so more rain might appear before the end of the race

Van Gisbergen is one of those cars a lap behind, I would not put anything beyond him.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

It's a small field, he could conceivably punt every remaining car into the wall

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
They have the unlap option behind the safety car as well which could help them but the leader is smashing it strategy wise

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
poo poo is starting to get interesting with a decent amount of rain coming down.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Someone's apparently drawn a penis in one of the gravel traps at the top of the mountain if you need reminding that this race is in Australia.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
and we have a roo near the track further cementing its location

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

We have further shifting into H news.

https://twitter.com/Motor_Sport/status/1526501278129479682

Looks like somebody might be taking up the place Audi has left behind in the order book…

quote:

“This step up into the highest echelon of sports car racing marks an important milestone for our company,” said Stephan Winkelmann, Lamborghini chairman and CEO. “We will be measuring ourselves against the very best, on the most demanding proving grounds.

“On one hand, this will give our successful motorsports program even more visibility, but it will also allow us to test future technologies: our LMDh prototypes will become our most sophisticated open laboratory on four wheels.”

Sounds from the article that it’ll be a customer-only program for WEC and IMSA. It’s also strongly rumored (per Pruett/Goodwin’s most recent podcast) that Iron Lynx could be one of the lead teams, and that may be where a certain retired bike rider might be finding himself stepping into the WEC and Le Mans.

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
Anyone like rallycross? RallyX Nordic is going on so here's a previous livestream from a really good track. You'll need to skip ahead for the racing to start probably. Hope you all enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MrMLs_friw

E: sorry it won't embed :ohdear:

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

We have further shifting into H news.

https://twitter.com/Motor_Sport/status/1526501278129479682

Looks like somebody might be taking up the place Audi has left behind in the order book…

Sounds from the article that it’ll be a customer-only program for WEC and IMSA. It’s also strongly rumored (per Pruett/Goodwin’s most recent podcast) that Iron Lynx could be one of the lead teams, and that may be where a certain retired bike rider might be finding himself stepping into the WEC and Le Mans.

Iron Lynx have been working with Prema a lot recently, which gets them both P2 experience. Rossi though is gonna need to find some more speed in cars.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Iron Lynx have been working with Prema a lot recently, which gets them both P2 experience. Rossi though is gonna need to find some more speed in cars.

For sure, but if they get that deal over the line, it’ll be box office. Le Mans will have swathes of highlighter yellow in every grandstand.

Also, along with Monaco, Indianapolis, and Charlotte, this coming weekend is the Nurburgring 24 Hours! Should be live in English with Radio Le Mans broadcasting via YouTube globally.

https://youtu.be/5kUOpUl3Etk

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
24 hour of the ring is always 10/10. Last year was settled in the last 40 min.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I prefer nurburgring over le mans everytime. I think it's partly to do with the ease of watching and that its all GT3 cars for the most part.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I prefer nurburgring over le mans everytime. I think it's partly to do with the ease of watching and that its all GT3 cars for the most part.
I like both, but I do think Nürburgring 24h is consistently better for close racing.

Le Mans can be tight, but often it's a single prototype car out in front and everyone else fighting in their classes, which has a different feel than watching whoever crosses the finish line first being the actual winner of the class with the most competition.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Hopefully Nurburgring actually goes green for more then like 8 hours this year

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Hopefully Nurburgring actually goes green for more then like 8 hours this year

There's no actual rain forecast but it's supposed to be cold and cloudy the whole time so you'll probably see a bunch of people bin it straight out of the pits.

There are some rad liveries this year.

Unfortunately a workshop fire claimed the foxtail manta but they're hoping to be back for 2023 :(

https://www.dailysportscar.com/2022/05/17/workshop-fire-sees-24-year-nurburgring-24-hours-streak-for-foxtail-opel-manta-broken.html

Powershift fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 24, 2022

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

WHAT? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
I didn't have this one on the "how to damage a car on the Nürburgring" bingo card:

https://twitter.com/VincentJBruins/status/1529786387909578753

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I have many questions from that.... but firstly.... why was the car being towed backwards like that, and secondly why the hell was the marshal beside them while they did that.....

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

For reference, this will be the official live stream for the English commentary for the Nurburgring 24H race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVjTSBefDjU

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Has anyone been to/camped at Road America for IMSA? It's about a 5 hour drive and i'm curious if it's worth checking out for the weekend.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The classics race is going on and it's a total shitshow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DJX5-4MMf4

classic 911s running into eachother, classic BMWs running into eachother, classsic VWs running into eachother.

some dude pulling the rad cap off a hot race car and scalding everybody in a 30 foot radius

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
The classics race is always fun, but its also always 3 hours of classic cars dying. There's some great equipment in it too (that will all probably die)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ow my brains

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Ow my brains

Put on your 3D glasses!

BMW legends thing on now

Warm-ups soon. I'm ready!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVjTSBefDjU

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Next family get together for the Vanthoor family is going to be awkward. The #1 Porsche got send into the wall at 250km/h while fighting his brother for position.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

lagidnam posted:

Next family get together for the Vanthoor family is going to be awkward. The #1 Porsche got send into the wall at 250km/h while fighting his brother for position.

This sport is good.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Powershift posted:

BMW legends thing on now

Some wild stuff already, burning cars rolling downhill on a Nürburgring curve.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 28, 2022

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The cars are going at the ring very fast in complete darkness. Crazy people

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

lmao a bunch of Rockstar devs from Scotland built a car and raced in this 24.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"Do you ever wish you could carjack one of the GT3s"
"Definitely. I mean, video games don't have that effect on people"

Loved the interview with the Rockstar Games guy, except they're evil and all that

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 28, 2022

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah but they’re broke enough to be doing that with an old BMW 325 built up over a number of years and basically doing it The Hard Way, so that deserves some credit. At least they’re not parachuting into an arrive and drive situation.

That’s car #323 and was Ben Lyons being interviewed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

posting for posterity

https://twitter.com/24hNBR/status/1530648718021640196

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Is there an english link that works in the US available? The one posted earlier cut out like 5 hours in.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bloopsy posted:

Is there an english link that works in the US available? The one posted earlier cut out like 5 hours in.

Think the YouTube is being geoblocked in the US thanks to MotorTrend. VPN’ing to outside the US is an option. Others available.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Time for some rain to spice things up cause cars flying into barriers wasn't exciting enough

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rain with 4 hours left

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

This is a good race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
I don't know if it was mentioned on the English stream but one of the drivers went 220 km/h through a double yellow zone, which is 100 km/h too fast. The car got a 7:32 time penalty, the driver is disqualified and his Nordschleifen racing permit got immediately revoked. The incident was also reported to the German Motor Sport Federation which will probably ban him from racing for a few more months.

Ops...