Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Full Collapse posted:

The 12 hours of Bathurst is probably my favorite GT3 race. Starts in the dark and easily watchable in its entirety for us living in the Americas.

This years race providing it goes ahead isn’t till may which means it will both start and finish in the dark given the sun at that time of year doesn’t rise till 7 and sets a bit before 6. It’ll also be far colder given it’s heading into winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
holy Jebus. Theres not much of the car left by the time it stops spinning

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Next weekend is the Bathurst 12 hour which is in a different spot this year due to restrictions over the summer. Because there is another gt race happening in France on the same weekend craft bamboo racing is the only international team coming along. The remainder of the field is locals and while Bathurst isn’t a big drive for me I’m kinda glad I didn’t get tickets this year.
As we are heading into winter here and their desire to finish at dusk the race starts at 5:15 local time giving them close to 2 hours of dark running early in the day.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
12 hour quali is happening now. No radio lemans boys this year which makes sense with the scaled back nature. Few cars having issues already but hopefully they end up with the full field racing tomorrow.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Halfway through the 12hr and only 3 cars are still on the lead lap. The weather is also being fairly changeable so more rain might appear before the end of the race

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
They have the unlap option behind the safety car as well which could help them but the leader is smashing it strategy wise

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
poo poo is starting to get interesting with a decent amount of rain coming down.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
and we have a roo near the track further cementing its location

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I prefer nurburgring over le mans everytime. I think it's partly to do with the ease of watching and that its all GT3 cars for the most part.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Time for some rain to spice things up cause cars flying into barriers wasn't exciting enough

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The number 3 merc that’s in second pitted before the Audi but lost so much time that he didn’t get ahead

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Bathurst 12hr is part of the international gt comp and is currently run by the same people who do the V8 super cars. Having attended multiple times pre Covid it’s a good event that attracts plenty of locals as well as a decent handful of international teams. Given we don’t really do prototype racing in aus it would cut the field quite a bit

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
F1 only likes tilke designed monotonous circuits. No character other than a couple of tricky corners is allowed

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The eastern side of the ranges are currently gearing up for what could be our 4th 1 in 100 year flood in the last 12 months. If my front yard is anything to go by any excursion off track will be a boggy affair.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Bathurst is kinda being Bathurst this year. The top 10 shootout was cancelled after a massive dump of rain moved across the circuit in the hour or 2 that it was supposed to happen. They've also closed all of the parking at the circuit due to all of it turning to mud . Being country NSW the parking area is more or less a field for a majority of the year and not designed to cope with thousands of cars when the soil is saturated as it's been for months now

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
They’ve also been looking at the chase from what I’ve seen.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I miss the old days where it'd take them the whole day to do the number of laps around Bathurst. These days it's more of a long distance sprint race

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
supercars in the mud

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
There is the version they do in Australia where they race speedboats through a series of muddy ditches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

Is it normal for the racing line to go right over a set of sausage kerbs that you have to hit every lap?

it's a street circuit in QLD that was originally set up for indycar so yes. it's always been a bit of a demolition derby type of a round but they won't scrap it at any point