Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marty Crane
Oct 16, 2012

Mokotow posted:

Trying to get into WRC. It's a bit hard to follow, considering I'm limited to YouTube. Looking at the official channel, plus a pretty chatty channel called DirtFish. Any recommendations how to best follow?

I've subbed to WRC+ and I've loved every minute of it. But I also have weekends free to just sit back and watch them. But I love the coverage by them. Yeah, some of the commentary can be a little grating, but they give you so much content for a low price. You get access to some on-board cameras that you can watch in full, the stage coverage itself, post-race interviews, it's really cool. And it's all on-demand, so you don't even have to watch it live which is impossible for me in my region.

I don't necessarily watch every single stage or every single driver. I'll usually skip through the more boring drivers (Fourmaux, Katsuda, Greensmith - unless they've crashed out.)

I definitely avoid Instagram during a race weekend because that can spoil it pretty easily.

DirtFish is probably the best for their write-ups. They really tease out drama that isn't really apparent at first glance, and they're close enough to the action that they'll sometimes give you nice behind-the-scenes stuff that WRC+'s coverage is missing. And the writers and editors obviously love being around the WRC and their enthusiasm really shows in their work.

A few others have posted links to the RedBull site that gives nice summaries. A rally is long with however many cars going through in a day and with as many as eight stages in a day, yeah it can definitely be a lot. There were a few events last year where it was obvious who was going to win by Saturday, and those were usually the ones where I'd just tune out.

Monte was pretty fun to watch though. It was awesome to see Loeb going full-tilt. Hyundai is in a poo poo position which was to be expected, and Thierry Neuville acting like a child (again) at the end really made me think even less of him. Especially when he said he was upset at Solberg pulling out when his car had been filled with fumes the whole weekend.

Was incredibly interesting to see Ott Tanak talking with Malcolm Wilson in the background at the end of the event when they were interviewing all the M-Sport people. Ott hasn't really seemed happy at Hyundai the last two years, but he's still under contract until 2024 I believe. There were a few moments last year where Ott seemed untouchable, but his car would always end up failing. Kenya was a good example when he lost a minute because the defrost wasn't working on his windshield, but he ended up posting the fastest time in the Wolf Power Stage, and he seemed untouchable. Just watching him drive through some of those corners is burned in my memory because he went so damned fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU