Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

AlmightyBob posted:

they should have a licensed bane luchador

Now that Christian Cage has had his balls thoroughly destroyed on live television, maybe the Patriarchy will fall apart and Killswitch (formerly Luchasaurus) can become Bane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

wwe smackdown airs on fox and wwe does (did?) an extremely stupid "draft" where they had cleatus the football robot as a representative for fox in the war room

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

AlmightyBob posted:

watching call out 2020 and this just happened

jr: Stu "Don't Call Me Dick" Grayson
Tony: I wouldn't even call him Jason Todd
Excalibur: you more of a Damien Wayne guy?

Matt Striker rear end commentary

Jim Ross kept calling Stu Grayson "Dick Grayson" accidentally for a while, so he was calling himself out on that. That, and Tony Schiavone is also a massive Batman fan.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

batista tried to get HHH and Stephenie to promote Guardians of the Galaxy and they laughed in his face and said the movie would bomb

To be fair, it wasn't like that thought was uncommon. Most everyone thought it was going to be Marvel's first big misstep. When it released and not only was it great, but one of the best parts, completely hidden from the trailers, being Batista's Drax, most everyone was amazed.

Though, wasn't the original idea that Batista would win the title at WM 30 and hence be the champion to promote the film, but the sheer Daniel Bryan backlash completely derailed that? It wouldn't surprise me if Triple H and Stephanie's reaction was, in pure Vince fashion, tied to Batista's 'failure to follow the plan', never mind Batista had zero control over any of it.

(Still doesn't explain Bluetista though)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Cornwind Evil posted:

(Still doesn't explain Bluetista though)

he was putting colloidal silver over

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
you hear all the stories about vince russo and you think a person like that cant be real and then you see him on dark side of the ring expressing his thought process for bash at the beach 2000 and you realize he's real

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

wwe smackdown airs on fox and wwe does (did?) an extremely stupid "draft" where they had cleatus the football robot as a representative for fox in the war room

I'm going to live my life choosing to believe I don't understand any of this

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
batista hated the bluetista chants but, sorry big dave, that's one of the funniest things a wwe crowd has ever done. stupidity bordering on the sublime. I was telling my friends about his 2014 run and when I got to bluetista they were laughing so hard I don't think I even got around to finishing whatever I was going to say

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

MrQwerty posted:

I'm going to live my life choosing to believe I don't understand any of this

WWE from 2018 until 2023 was the stupidest time for authority figures, primarily because there was a brand split but no authorities for either brand. When it came time to draft wrestlers to brands (itself a mostly pointless venture under current designs), there were no kayfabe GMs to make picks so WWE got various celebrities from Fox and USA to make the picks. Cleatus, the mascot for the NFL on Fox, was one of the celebrities once.

Post-Vince, WWE has improved significantly simply because it would be impossible for it to be worse.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

be careful, you might will something into existence that makes t l hopper look subtle and clever

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
one of vince's cronies is a man named kevin dunn he is one of the worst people to have ever been involved in the wrestling business and the moment he was fired the shows drastically improved because the camera wasnt cutting away to pointless bullshit every second

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
I got generally positive opinions of Batista as a wrestler and actor

Bluetista funny as hell

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
batista went into wrestling to get money for his kids nothing but respect for the blue guy

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

AlmightyBob posted:

they should have a licensed bane luchador

I'm so fuckin' mad they canceled this toyline.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

one of vince's cronies is a man named kevin dunn he is one of the worst people to have ever been involved in the wrestling business and the moment he was fired the shows drastically improved because the camera wasnt cutting away to pointless bullshit every second

Whoa now, let's not overexaggerate. The camerawork is decently better, but let's not use words like 'drastically improved' and make people think poo poo's worth watching.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Cubone posted:

batista hated the bluetista chants but, sorry big dave, that's one of the funniest things a wwe crowd has ever done. stupidity bordering on the sublime. I was telling my friends about his 2014 run and when I got to bluetista they were laughing so hard I don't think I even got around to finishing whatever I was going to say

Bluetista was hilarious due to how Triple H and Orton were wearing generic black outfits and it felt like, "drat it, Dave! We said we're not doing the blue thing!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Bluetista was actually after a few weeks of Bootista because everybody wanted Daniel Bryan instead.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Gavok posted:

Bluetista was hilarious due to how Triple H and Orton were wearing generic black outfits and it felt like, "drat it, Dave! We said we're not doing the blue thing!"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Vandar posted:

I'm so fuckin' mad they canceled this toyline.

Whoa now, let's not overexaggerate. The camerawork is decently better, but let's not use words like 'drastically improved' and make people think poo poo's worth watching.

youd think that but the wwe twitter stans are having their minds blown by simple camera angles

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

All this talk about needing a Bane luchador like AEW doesn't already employ Brian Cage:
https://twitter.com/briancagegmsi/status/1573799949468246016

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Check out this link and watch with bated breath as Nikolai Volkoff denounces communism and embraces capitalism:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf144AymLL0

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Germansimp posted:

All this talk about needing a Bane luchador like AEW doesn't already employ Brian Cage:
https://twitter.com/briancagegmsi/status/1573799949468246016

And he's got geek chops: all his finishers are named after Wolverine's special moves from the Marvel Vs games.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I got to say: I loving love Brian Cage.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

absolutely dying at megabyte ronnie hitting the people's elbow on Brian Cage while eating a hotdog

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
More wrestlers should eat while wrestling, or eat while coming to the ring, or eat during promos

Before Jay Briscoe died, all the Briscoe Brothers promos were just them recording on their farm with Mark's phone and every single one was awesome

Jay was doing his aggro thing and talking while Mark would stand in the back eating a snack and it was always something different

Best poo poo ever

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You'll love Bastion Booger.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
No

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Grendels Dad posted:

I got to say: I loving love Brian Cage.

I saw Cage at a Joey Ryan's "Bar Wrestling" show and told him "You're the loving man, bro." and he replied, seemingly intending to indicate that he had heard this many times already and was tiring of it, "Thank you, sir."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Elephant Ambush posted:

More wrestlers should eat while wrestling, or eat while coming to the ring, or eat during promos

Or eat while wrestling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCmGqN_M1Gc

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Before Jay Briscoe died, all the Briscoe Brothers promos were just them recording on their farm with Mark's phone and every single one was awesome

Jay was doing his aggro thing and talking while Mark would stand in the back eating a snack and it was always something different

Best poo poo ever

Does Hook still eat chips?

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Ahh, now I get why wrestling is the way it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUQD6JcKMu4

There are so many insights into Vince's drug-addled mind in here. And WCW's effort to compete.
Fat Chick Thriller is my favorite.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

To contrast all those terrible gimmicks and seeing into Vince's broken, black mind, here's one of the most famous Wrestlemania matches ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvJn-NVwSPY

Yeah, there might be a Citizen Kane 'It's become so normalized that this seems unexceptional' effect, but even TODAY, the PACE is something. No rest holds, no dead spots, they kick off in full gear and never stop. There can be a benefit to matches planned out to a T.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he was one of the few people to get a good match of warrior because he made him rehearse all the spots too

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

reliving the war is up to savage's '99 run. he aged about 10 years and took all the steroids in the year he had out. sad to see he could barely wrestle any more so of course wcw put the title on him

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Calvin's dad's definition of a control freak came to mind recently, and it comes to mind again now. It's probably more of an upside of otherwise very bad qualities, but actually wanting to plan things out and make sure people follow the plan is very important when it comes to actually getting things done.

Would also explain a lot that he's used to not being able to leave people alone for five minutes without them finding new and innovative ways to gently caress up.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

Ahh, now I get why wrestling is the way it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUQD6JcKMu4

There are so many insights into Vince's drug-addled mind in here. And WCW's effort to compete.
Fat Chick Thriller is my favorite.

Saw your username, saw the thread title, thought it was the title of a wrestling story and didn't even bat an eye

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Cornwind Evil posted:

To contrast all those terrible gimmicks and seeing into Vince's broken, black mind, here's one of the most famous Wrestlemania matches ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvJn-NVwSPY

Yeah, there might be a Citizen Kane 'It's become so normalized that this seems unexceptional' effect, but even TODAY, the PACE is something. No rest holds, no dead spots, they kick off in full gear and never stop. There can be a benefit to matches planned out to a T.

I vividly recall seeing Steamboat get this throat crushed as Savage jump down from the top rope and slam him into the steel railing.

What was the real reason Steamboat went away for a while? And after WM3 I think he left for good?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Bonzo posted:

I vividly recall seeing Steamboat get this throat crushed as Savage jump down from the top rope and slam him into the steel railing.

What was the real reason Steamboat went away for a while? And after WM3 I think he left for good?

IIRC he & his wife had their first kid shortly after he won the IC title from Savage. Ricky wanted to take time off but Vince wanted him on the road defending, so that's when he dropped the belt to Honky Tonk & left for a while to be with family.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
E: accidental double post

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Bonzo posted:

IIRC my sour smark knowledge, first he wanted some time off so he could conceive a baby with his wife, and Vince gave him time off...like three months worth, and didn't pay him for them. To show he was the boss. Or something. Then when Steamboat did win the title and wanted to spend some time with his family, Vince basically went "Screw you, you're dropping the belt to Butch Reed, his black man with blonde hair gimmick is gonna be a big money draw." Then Butch Reed got fired, so along came Honky Tonk Man who talked Vince into giving him a quickie run, which ended up being the longest run with the IC title for decades until it was just recently broken by Walter "Gunther/WALTER" Hahn.

I suspect the other usual reason was racism.

"Bonny Blood", Rickie's wife at the time (based on the fact that Rickie's actual last name IS Blood), sounds like a real piece of work herself, with inklings of her being a giant control freak who tried to horn in on Ricky's career (see his "Family Man" WCW run, where Bonny was so obnoxious in her role as her husband's valet that the fans semi turned on the man), and when the marriage broke up, she ended up claiming the rights to his name in the divorce, or something to do with his wrestling persona. Then again, my primary memory of these accounts is Ric Flair in his autobiography, so who knows how accurate, inaccurate, or worst person you know made a great point he is on that.

Cripes, while double checking, it seems like Steamboat, always consider a peer and yet a mirror to Flair, is a peer to Flair in real life in a most unexpected way: both have been married five times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
his real name is richard blood... dick blood