Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gavok posted:

They never did a good job explaining what their deal was and to make matters worse, they started hurting the show itself. One time Dynamite had a match of Hikaru Shida vs. Kris Statlander, which was one of the more exciting possible matchups with that roster. Said match had Brandi on commentary, making GBS threads on Statlander’s gimmick, making GBS threads on commentator Excalibur for wearing a mask, and just being awful. Then the Nightmare Collective got involved and ruined the match itself. Fans were pissed.

It was Riho versus Stat

for the title

and yes I am still pissed about it. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It is astounding how you hardly hear about any backstage drama, politics, and out-of-control egos out of AEW, even with Cody's departure.

There's been some backstage drama at AEW (the main thing that jumps to mind is the beef that was between Thunder Rosa and Ivelisse) but for the most part it seems like everyone is trying to make the company a more welcoming, inviting place for each other instead of trying to raise drama and cause fights. They know what happens when egos get out of control, the older wrestlers have lived through it and the younger ones have heard stories about it, and they don't want that happening if they can help it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Gavok posted:

- Months back, AEW signed Jake Atlas, a wrestler who didn't get to do enough on the WWE roster. His knee got messed up during his first match and he's been off TV since. Then he recently got arrested for beating his partner. It's especially messed up because by reporting the victim's name, the media was outing an NXT wrestler against his will. Anyway, AEW has been completely quiet about this, which has frustrated some.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/exclusives/jake-atlas-isn-t-expected-back-aew-was-appearance-deal

Apparently Atlas was never actually signed and was just on a per appearance deal. It's weird, because I remember him getting the JAKE ATLAS IS ALL ELITE graphic, but it's whatever. He's not coming back.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

The JBL era post-attitude always felt like McMahon wanting to be the star without having to do all the roids, workout regiment, and take the bumps.

Vince did all of that anyway though! And he still does them!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

SOMEONE POST THE GIF OF HIM DOING IT IN AEW

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

The AEW pape tonight was extremely good

Mostly because Jamie Hayter won the women's world title

Because she is the best

Long may she reign.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Gavok touched on this in his Miro writeup, but it's insane just how many times Vince tried to do a 'Lana is cucking Rusev' storyline.

Aside from the mentioned Dolph Ziggler and Bobby Lashley nonsense, Lana fooling around with Aiden English is what led to that group breaking up. Lana also tried to seduce and sleep with Enzo Amore (though this ended up being part of a trap for Rusev to get his hands on Enzo for reasons??? I'm still going to count it). The Rock even came back one night and a great deal of his backstage segment was dedicated to talking about how he and Lana slept together while Lana was giving him bedroom eyes and Rusev just quietly simmered in the background.

It's really kind of creepy!

Also Gavok left out that one of Rusev's Wrestlemania entrances involved him riding to the ring in a tank...and then a couple years later he and Lana revealed that they had sex in that tank before the show so uh, more power to them!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I know all the preliminary evidence points to a WWE sale, but somehow it doesn't feel right. Vince's only discernible motivation is to torment wrestlers and wrestling fans, and divesting himself of his authority seems counterproductive to that goal.

One of the terms for a sale of the company is supposedly that Vince has to remain in charge after it's sold or else it's no deal.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cornwind Evil posted:

Time will tell if Dashwood will be able to make something of herself on the main roster.

Extremely doubtful.

HHH brought her back as part of his whole 'hey look I'm in charge now and I'm bringing back everyone you like (even though I have no plans for most of them)' movement. What happened on her first night back?

Ronda Rousey squashed her. :negative:

In fact:

She's done nothing but eat losses since her return, and that's when they remember to actually put her on tv.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Dustin got a little too far into the gimmick sometimes.

He once pitched to Vince that he should get breast implants.

Yeeeah.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

AlmightyBob posted:

I always thought Vince was the one who wanted goldust to get implants lol

Nope. In a rare, rare display of Vince being reasonable, he turned down Dustin's offer.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

dustin was really hosed up but his lowest point has to be when he was slumming in TNA dressed like a gimp

If you mention that point in his life to him on Twitter it's an instant block.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Jarrett was always super lame. Felt like a wannabe DDP with a guitar gimmick.

In all seriousness, Jeff Jarrett is doing the best work of his career right now in AEW. He's being genuinely entertaining and helping put a bunch of other guys over.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Many of them were, in fact, quite terrible in the ring - Hogan being a classic example.

Hogan was good in Japan!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Wrestling is dying.

Watch literally anything other than the WWE. The rest of the industry is doing just fine.

The Last Call posted:

Miro was back on TV on AEW someone mentioned in the last page, so anyone know what the deal with him was?

Been lots of rumours, but I've suspected there were some issues between TK and Miro, so he wasn't around.

That or Miro was going through a serious medical situation, and they did a ridiculous good job keeping it quiet, kinda like they did with Brodie Lee.

Miro kept turning down AEW's creative offers because they all involved 'hey we're going to build you up and then you're going to put someone else over'. Allegedly.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

AlmightyBob posted:

remember the wwe novels where in between wrestling matches, the roster was like out fighting terrorists or something

BIG APPLE TAKEDOWN

It's kind of amazing not going to lie.

quote:

The story begins in December 2001. WWE Chairman Vince McMahon meets with old aide Phil Thomson, a government official. Thomson proposes to Vince the creation of a covert group consisting of McMahon's most refined wrestlers, knowing their exaggerated, constantly touring lifestyle will provide excellent cover. Vince accepts the deal, and recruits John Cena, Triple H, Dave Batista, Chavo Guerrero, Torrie Wilson, and finally himself as leader.

In March 2006, the team have by now formed a tight unit, and they are given their latest assignment, to break into a methyl-amphetamine development lab that is financially supporting terrorists in the European regions, when one of their own is taken prisoner, the wrestlers must stage a rescue which could endanger their careers and their lives.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

WAIT A MINUTE BATISTA AND CENA DIDN'T DEBUT IN THE WWE UNTIL 2002

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The best part of the Boom comics is Triple H's boat:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

Do you mean that she had been pierced shortly before the slam, or is this a tidbit about her recent activities?

When Brock and Shelton Benjamin were working in OVW, they had a program against the Disciples of Synn, a stable led by Cornette's girlfriend at the time and future wife, Synn. They had a spot they'd do every match where Synn would get into the ring and get in Brock's face, and Brock would give her the gorilla press slam.

Synn got her piercing and came to Brock that morning and went 'look, I just got a piercing down there, when you do the slam tonight don't grab me by the crotch, grab me by the thigh. Just be gentle with me alright?" Brock started joking all day that he was going to grab her by the crotch and Cornette (who was in charge at the time) had to keep telling him 'don't do it, don't loving do it.'

The match came, and guess what Brock did? :v:

Synn was in so much pain afterward she was in tears, and Brock was apparently pleased with himself, which pissed Cornette the gently caress off. He got in Brock's face and told him off, telling him you never hurt someone in the ring like that and that if he did that poo poo again he'd pull his gun he kept in the office on him. Cornette has since admitted that the gun wouldn't have stopped Brock and would have likely only pissed him off.

Cornette's a piece of poo poo but so is Brock and from the stories Corncob tells, Brock was nothing but trouble during his development. The two of them deserve each other, honestly.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Titus O'Neill.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Szyznyk posted:

The only reason I play the Powerball is so I can hit it big enough to get Jimmy Hart and bring back Wrestlicious.

God, Wrestlicious was a THING, wasn't it?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cubone posted:

lol

is cornette's cheeseburger addiction just exactly what it sounds like?

He stopped eating Wendy's burgers a long time ago, actually, just to help ensure that he outlives Russo and gets to piss on his grave.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I am unfamiliar with this story but feel strongly it belongs in this thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzUZwd9yC3I

This is all you need to know really.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I don't think most people know about Verne Gagne period.

This.

Dude was before most of our times.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

martha hart was demonized for years for sueing the WWE and forbidding them from profiting off his likeness or allowing them to induct him into their hall of fame despite being in the right for wanting neither of those things because the company killed her husband and didnt even have the decency to stop the show so the wrestlers, all friends of owen, had to wrestle in the same ring he died in on the same night he died

*Was* demonized? She's still being demonized by the WWE fans who are pissed off she's working with AEW to honor Owen's legacy.

FilthyImp posted:

Nash being able to book for himself explains how, one summer night, I channel surfed to WCW and saw an asian lady with ridonkulous fake boobs tease Nash with flashing her goods only for Big Sexy to be given a chair to the back of the head.

I swore for the longest that had to have been something I dreamt up.

Nitro Girl Chae, probably. Her and Kevin were a thing for a while.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

I dont even remember there being Nitro Cheerleaders.

You don't hear about them much anymore but they were like, a pretty big part of Nitro. I want to say they were there as a unit up until the very end?

3 A.M. Radio posted:

Is she the one that Nash made the comment on TV about, "Going in the back and eating a little Korean"?

One and the same.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Never heard of Wrestling Bios. What's the problem with them?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

Macho Man was a sick voice actor. There's an episode of Dexter's Lab he guest stars in and he's just drat good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmAPZB9jzHs

'NO AGONY, NO BRAGONY' has lived rent-free in my head.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Oh man. Please do one of these about The Ryback.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Whoa I didn’t know WWE games mattered that much. Is that like the one aspect of the business that results in money going to retired talent? From all the sad go fund mes mentioned on wrestler Wikipedia pages had assumed Vince didn’t give anyone a penny once they left.

Interesting how Hogan had to be scrubbed, but is he back in good odor again because a prince offered a dumptruck of money for him to show up at Crown Jewel?

Hogan’s back because he’s still worth money. THAT being said though, the last time he made an appearance on-screen he was booed to hell and back, so. A rare case of a WWE live crowd not sucking.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

God, I forgot that Hogan getting booed to hell and back was in Tampa of all places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UArOYpqoQsQ

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Is that... Phil Collins?

Fun fact: Easy Lover was the theme song for the first Wrestlemania!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Nixon was a carny, he worked the wheel of fortune in Prescott, AZ in the 1920s.

Is Vince considered hard working? I mean i know of his weird behavior during meetings but is he consistently doing like 80 hours of real work a week way past the point when he’d need to?

The man is a legit hard worker. He sleeps like three to four hours a night at best and is working for the majority of his waking hours. He's never taken a vacation. He micromanages everything, and on top of all his wrestling work he's constantly tried to expand out into other businesses.

He's like a goddamn machine that has it's off button broken.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Climbing into the ring and tearing his quad and somehow no selling it to continue in character is something like what, 5% of athletes could do? Even baseball players who take a pitch off the elbow need a minute before jogging to first.

BOTH his quads, mind you.

Vince's rage is a powerful thing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

I always liked Eddie's pairing with Chyna and the "Mamacita" gimmick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbYRPEhuF4E

Honestly might be the high point of both their careers. They were fuckin' great together.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The Fashion Police are one of the best things the WWE has ever done.

Also I can't wait for you to get to 2018 because *oh boy* Shane in 2018 is some goofy poo poo.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Coward posted:

How is the AEW computer game, especially compared to the recent WWE one? I have been hunting around to try and get a game that has the best custom creation stuff, essentially so I can run a wrestling RPG. Representing the PCs and the rest of the roster they create along with running AI vs AI fights would be a dream, but I haven't really touched a wrestling game since the 2000s.

Been super enjoying the thread - amazing effort posts.

The gameplay is mostly good to great.

The customization stuff is insultingly bad. If that's what you're looking for you should go for the WWE or Fire Pro.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Jesus :stare:

Also Sting is still around??? Holy hell I remember playing as him in video games in the 90s

Since coming to AEW, Sting has done some of the best and most fun work of his career.

He rules.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Gavok posted:

AEW had Jade as an unbeatable force for three years and everyone pretty much agrees that they did not do nearly enough with her. WWE, for all their problems, might actually be able to use her to her potential better.

No they won't.

They'll blow up her knees in the performance center and then they'll feed her to Charlotte.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

Honestly, I didn't believe the rumors until he actually made his entrance at WrestleMania because why would anyone in his position ever come back? It's easier to fix bad booking if you're in charge of it.

That was supposedly part of the reason he left. He wanted more booking power and Tony Khan wouldn't give it to him, and so he wanted more money and TK wouldn't give it to him, so he went 'gently caress it then, I'm out.'

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Lucha Underground was the coolest goddamn poo poo and had a fair amount of influence on the industry.

God I miss it. It was so far ahead of it's time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Gavok posted:

In the final scene, Dario Cueto hung out in his office with Agent Winter. Dario was hoping he could get the gauntlet back in their hands, but Winter told him not to worry about it... as Dario would be dead. Winter shot Dario in the stomach and casually walked out. With the last of his strength, Dario picked up the phone, called someone, weakly said, “Papa...” and keeled over. The man on the other end of the phone was frantic. To be continued.

I am so excited for you to get to this because it is SO delightfully dumb. :allears: