Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

gbs but from 2004 posted:

hell yeah these 2 posts was the poo poo I was looking for. Hhh is racist?

HHH: *To Booker T, a Black man and one of the most popular wrestlers of the late '90s and '00s* "People like you don't get to be champion."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Vince = DJT Sr
Triple H = Eric
Shane = DJT Jr
Stephanie = Ivanka

:aaaaa:

Straight up, all that poo poo about Trump being Vince McMahon's half-brother makes too much sense.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Infidel Castro posted:

Nothing on WWE TV goes on without Vince or Bruce giving the OK so it's 100% Shane taking the fall.

If it's one thing Shane knows how to do, it's take a fall.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Keller added, “While all this is going on, Shane is sweating, profusely [and] this has been a thing for him recently, more than recently where there’s a concerning level of perspiration. It’s almost like just droplets are shooting out of his head and face.”

Ahahaha oh my God

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Jamesman posted:

The video games were what got me into watching in the first place. I had a demo of WWF Smackdown for PlayStation that I tried out with friends, and we had so much fun with it, I went out and bought the full game. Then I bought the sequel, which introduced me to Too Cool.

"Wait, there's a guy who's signature move is to do THE WORM? And the other guy puts on GOGGLES when he jumps off the turnbuckle? And they DANCE? And they get other to dance by giving them SUNGLASSES? I gotta see if the show is really like this!"

And it was!

2 Cool and Rikishi were, without hyperbole, the single greatest act in the history of any entertainment medium and always will be.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Japanese wrestling is great because they don't even pretend to make a serious product

They ham it up hardcore and go for pure entertainment value. There's one wrestler whose signature move is using his dick to suplex people. It is stupid and insane and incredible

I mean, it's not all like that. New Japan Pro Wrestling and Stardom are both "serious" promotions in Japan, and there are some comedy wrestling promotions in the US that are great (Pro Wrestling Gorilla and WrestleCircus having some great comedy wrestling), but then there's stuff in Japan like DDT that's... oh, it's a treat. They still do have really high-quality matches, but they also have wrestlers fighting blow-up dolls and invisible opponents.

And then there's the Ironman Heavymetalweight championship: a belt that must be defended 24/7 and spans multiple promotions all over the globe. The belt changes hands constantly (from the wiki: "As of February 4, 2022, there have been 1,528 officially recognized reigns between 390 different human individuals, 6 teams and 42 inanimate objects and animals. The record for most reigns is held by Shinobu, who won it 216 times, including by trading the title back-and-forth with 215-time champion Yuko Miyamoto a total of 303 times on the same night.").

It has been won by a ladder, by a team of three elementary school girls, Vince McMahon's Hollywood Walk of Fame star, and belt has even won itself on multiple occasions. The title has changed hands in a dream at least once. It's definitely a high water mark for the sport and worth checking out the history of title changes if you're interested: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ironman_Heavymetalweight_Champions

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

Oh man, I really want to see this.

It is... hard to watch. Goldberg managed to concuss himself before the match even started.

e: before making it out of backstage, even

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What did he do, open a door with his head?

Got it in one.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Kuato posted:

Lol they released Bray Wyatt? I quit following for a while. So apparently they managed to take one of their most over performers and make him unmarketable? Impressive.

His entrance was fire.

It's worse. They clearly tried to sabotage his even more over Fiend gimmick and then axed him while he was still topping merch sales.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

pretty soft girl posted:

If someone told me the shockmaster introduction was a scene from an uncompleted Chris Farley is a pro wrestler movie I'd believe it

Oh my God why didn't anyone pitch this when Farley was still alive. Dude, I am so sad now. I'm not even joking holy poo poo

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

He must have really hurt some feelings in creative because firing someone who is selling the most merch is one of the few things they almost never do.

The one thing you absolutely do not do in WWE is get over with fans when it wasn't Vince's idea.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Didn't Danielson and Punk both do that though?

I know Punk hates WWE but after Danielson went to AEW he wrote a glowing article about how he enjoyed his time there and how he had a great relationship with Vince and all this poo poo. There's no way he'd lie about that so I really wonder what happened.

Exactly.

Danielson and his fans had to fight tooth and nail for months to actually get WWE to relent (same with Kofi Kingston). Punk's experience at WWE was so awful it put him off of wrestling for 7 years.

I guess it would be more accurate to say "Vince will do everything in his power to punish people who get over when it wasn't his idea." Remember Rusev Day? Zack Ryder?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

This is a fascinating analysis and I wouldn't sleep on it

Straight up. And I think it really gets to the heart of that Vince McMahon quote about WWE: that they don't do wrestling shows, "[they] make movies."

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

But also at least 100%. It's both at the same time, and it always has been.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Jesus christ, I picked a great time to stop watching

My dude, the Snitsky angle was so indescribably bad and tasteless. That was a really good write-up, and it still does not even come close expressing how loving vile and poo poo it was.

e: yes, you picked a really good time to stop watching

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah but Vince McMahon seems like extra psychopath right

He is the 1% both financially and in terms of mental issues, without question.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

The Undertaker is a white supremacist

And he only protected people he liked

I do recall hearing lot of "wrestler's court" stories that kind of made him sound like kind of a piece of poo poo.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have a feeling a lot of wrestlers are Trump guys.

Not as many as you'd think, but way more than you'd hope.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

at least we have mick Foley to balance it out

And Kevin Nash.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

is Kevin nash a normal human as well or is he another disappointing homophobe / right winger / qanoner? I don’t follow him at all

I did read that Val venis is a qanoner these days lmao

Kevin Nash is straight-up cool as hell. Anti-Trump, anti-conservative, pro-BLM, pro-vaccine. He's a good dude.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

shadow puppet of a posted:

A good dude who ruined dozens of careers all for a good laugh with his circle of drug bros.

I honestly do admire him.

Yeah...

... yeah...

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

shadow puppet of a posted:

Also anyone that misses old wcw should really watch aew. It’s got that same glorious thousands deep well of wrestlers roster like a owning a bucket full of m.u.s.c.l.e figures and the inmates are clearly running the asylum and the backstage executive guy just wants to be in with them like bischoff so it’s also got that class-where-no-teacher-showed up energy.

And it all makes Vince furious but he won’t admit it like a pair of torn quads and has been trying to walk off aew for years

This sums it up really nicely. It's got some strong WCW-in-2022 energy pouring off it. I don't think it will ever unseat WWE the way WCW did (for 83 weeks at least lol), but as long as everyone involved understands and is fine with that, I think it'll be a good product for years to come.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

I still cannot believe Raw is 3 hours long. And apparently there was an episode a few weeks ago that featured less than 30 minutes of wrestling across the entire 3-hour program?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Well WWE is on TV right now and I'm debating switching to it. I want the real poo poo. The Vince McMahon garbage. I think I'll try it out.

Yeah, if you're wanting to see the sort of poo poo this thread is about, that's where you're going to see it. I'm an AEW evangelist, too, but if you want to see into the demented mind of Vince McMahon, you should get it from the source.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Ok I turned on WWE for 10 minutes and it was two people slowly talking in the ring the whole time. It was boring. Back to AEW.

Yeah, it's too bad this thread wasn't around like 6-12 months ago when Alexa Bliss and Lilly the Doll were on loving nonstop. That was some peak Vince bullshit. I'm on a phone so I'm not really in much of a position to give a comprehensive rundown, but they leaned loving hard into making one of their more conventionally attractive women's wrestlers into suddenly acting like a possessed childlike girl and making her weird doll haunt people and cause other wrestlers to puke black goo.

That was some poo poo.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Jamesman posted:

See that's the kinda thing I eat up. I loved wrestling when it was just not trying to take itself seriously (but also wasn't using rape as a plot device). It's probably why I latched on so hard to Too Cool, and why I stopped watching when they got rid of The Spirit Squad, which I kinda want to gush about at some point in this thread.

Creepy girl who makes people throw up black goo? I'm in. Give me Harley Quinn Undertaker.

You will probably need to elaborate some more on why I should not be in love right now. I mean, I'm sure WWE/Vince are doing absolutely stupid poo poo with this but I'd also love to believe that this owns.

Edit: I looked at some clips online. She looks to be having a LOT of fun with this character and I'm down for it and all its cheese (AHAHAHAHAHAHA). But it also looks like they're doing away with the character? So that's lame.

Oh yeah. I mean, check my avatar. I liiiiiive for silly stuff. Too Cool, Orange Cassidy, Luchasaurus, Jervis Cottonbelly, Kris Statlander, Abadon, The Dark Order are my absolute jam. Like, yeah, Kenny Omega's series of 6+ star classics with Kazuchika Okada was awesome, but The Dark Order's 8-man tag where against the Super Elite and everyone was wearing Halloween costumes was my 2021 match of the year and it wasn't even close.

The world sucks. Give me something weird and joyful put together by people having the time of their lives and I am in.

e: To be clear, I'm not throwing shade. There were a ton of people who hated that character, but there were a lot who absolutely loved her in that persona and I don't blame them one bit. My response was to the dude who said that the 10 minutes he watched of WWE was boring as poo poo. Her big run with that gimmick was divisive, but it sure as poo poo wasn't boring.

e2: Probably a lot of the hate she got for the character was that she was given the gimmick to act as Bray Wyatt's partner. Then Bray Wyatt got fired, but she kept the gimmick. I think it's fair to say that there was a lot of bitterness surrounding that, the bitterness directed towards her was entirely unwarranted because absolutely none of it was in any way her fault. It was hosed up that she bore so much of it.

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 8, 2022

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

Saw creepy Harley Quinn fan service girl talking to a sexual predator 'therapist' trying to make her give up her mini-me doll and it grossed me out too much to keep watching. (To the goon who said 'tell me why I shouldn't be in love [with this character]' loving gross is why.

Yeah. There's nothing wrong with the gimmick of She-Taker or Ms. Fiend per se, but there have been several points where it has veered into really gross territory with the infantilization and/or sexualization of her character.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Aew is a good mix of “serious” wrestling and dumb fun. The Halloween match where the heels dressed as ghostbusters was actually super fun to watch, you should check it out

I mentioned at the top of the page that was my match of the year for 2021. One of my top feel-good moments in like 30 years of being a wrestling fan.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

yeah I was gonna mention you brought it up too but I couldn’t find the post for some reason but yeah agreed, it was so good

based purely on the onscreen vibe and the small amount I read about aew it seems the atmosphere / vibe for the workers is wayyyyy better and more fun sans mcmahon which is totally unsurprising

it must be refreshing to work without insanely bizarre mind games being played with your career on the line

I can’t remember where I read it but apparently if you talk to Vince McMahon while he’s hungry he just flips out

also Jericho is a chud shithead?? what did he do?

I know he donated a pretty substantial amount of money to Republican candidates.

Rock 'n roll.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Trollologist posted:

Do the brawl for all next!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh God loving Brawl For All.

I know it was at least mentioned in here, but holy poo poo it did not get the spotlight it deserved ITT.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Gavok posted:

1998 was the year when WWF was figuring its poo poo out and was rising up to beat down WCW and regain its spot as the #1 wrestling company. They had so many hot acts at the time like Steve Austin, The Rock, D-Generation X, Mankind, Kane, and so on. There were so many great characters and ideas that it’s shocking that this was the year when Brawl for All happened.

Apparently, head writer Vince Russo overheard wrestler Bradshaw boast about how tough he was backstage and, being that Bradshaw’s an rear end in a top hat who has it coming, Russo had an idea to give Bradshaw his just desserts. A 16-man quasi-MMA tournament was put together called Brawl for All. It was basically boxing with takedowns and a sketchy point system. Most importantly, it was REAL. Not predetermined or pulled punches or any of that. It was 100% entirely legit during a show where everything else was not.

The winner was set to get $75,000 and a bunch of wrestlers signed up for it because they were mostly midcarders who were in danger of falling into obscurity. Notably at the time, WWF had a handful of legit MMA guys, including early UFC stars Ken Shamrock and Dan Severn. Supposedly, Shamrock was told NOT to take part in the tournament and Severn was pulled from it after winning in the first round.

The main reason for this was that WWF had already handpicked their winner...despite the realness of the competition. “Dr. Death” Steve Williams was considered the favorite to the point that he was a ringer. The plan was for him to blaze through the competition, prove himself to be a true badass, and then go on to challenge Steve Austin at some point.

The problem with all of this? IT WAS A LEGITIMATE COMPETITION and Steve Williams, while the kind of guy you’d like to have on your side in a barroom brawl, was not a boxer. A lot of the guys weren’t trained in boxing and there were so many injuries. There were guys who lost and advanced anyway because the winner was too hurt to show up for the next fight.

Also of importance: the fans absolutely hated these segments and would chant "BORING!" regularly.

Steve Williams was put in a first round match against Pierre the Quebecer, who while a total badass in real life, is also blind in one eye, so pretty limited in this kind of situation. In the second round, Williams faced Bart Gunn. Bart Gunn spent several years in a tag team the Smoking Gunns and after they split, he had absolutely nothing to do. But he was trained in boxing. The match went three rounds and after the first two, the points seemed blatantly and undeservedly skewed in Williams’ favor. If this went into a decision, Williams would absolutely win.

And so, Bart Gunn knocked him the gently caress out with a left hook, messing up his jaw. Jim Ross on commentary tried to hide his anger, both because Williams was his close friend and because he knew that this was loving up the company’s plans. Not only was Williams out of the tournament, but he was also injured and would be gone for several months. Even when he came back, he was only around for a few weeks before leaving the company.

Bart Gunn went on to knock out Bradshaw in the finals, at least giving us that closure. Rather than, I don’t know, ride the wave of Bart’s success and make something out of him like they were planning with Williams, they instead sidelined him. He won Brawl for All and then went off TV for a long, long time.

They did bring him back for one more bad decision. WrestleMania 15 was coming up and they were putting Bart Gunn up against Butterbean in a boxing match. Maybe they were gambling on Bart Gunn’s career, figuring that he could punch his ticket to the main event if he won. Maybe this was punishment for daring to be good at the job he was asked to do. Either way, Butterbean annihilated him in 35 seconds and the entire Brawl for All experiment came off like a tremendous waste of time.

That was it for Bart’s WWF career and he went off to wrestle in Japan for a while instead.

This is the world's most perfect post. If all of humanity and its history were to vanish in an instant and only one thing could be preserved for whatever discovers the ruins, I would want it to be this.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Trollologist posted:

The real story about how Vince sucks rear end is the tragic tale of Zach Ryder.

I hope someone with more history knowledge can elaborate on him

Oh God no. Poor Zach's career.

Look how they massacred my boy.

E:

Elephant Ambush posted:

I have good news. Since he left WWE he's been one of the top draws in the indies, particularly Game Changer Wrestling which features guest appearances by Mick Foley on a semi regular basis.

He goes by his real name Matt Cardona and his heel gimmick is great. The whole thing is "I used to be in WWE therefore I am a huge star and everyone must love me" and gets really mad when people don't give him that respect. It's pretty great and I'm happy for him.

This is true, and it's awesome he finally landed on his feet. He is completely unrecognizable from his Hype Bros days. And I miss those days.

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 9, 2022

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Trollologist posted:

Oh yeah, that's the stuff.

Bootesta and the whole Roman reigns "suffering succotash" is the most recent thing I remember about Vince being an absolute crybaby about wanting his big musclemen to get over and the crowd just...rejecting it wholesale. I stopped watching after that.

It's insane to me that Vince would rather throw his toys out of the pram rather than make money off of other people's ideas and just giving people what they want, but I guess that's why I'm not a billionaire and/or psychopath.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Peggy Edson posted:

Vince Mcmahon isn't a billionaire either, LOL!

Sorry. As CM Punk famously said: "A millionaire that should be a billionaire."

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

This is actually nauseating.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I have a vague memory of head being screwed onto a bottle of head and shoulders so it could be pinned in a tag team match. I dunno if that happened or if it was a fever dream.

It was a fever dream, but it was a fever dream that happened in the waking world.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Per Gavok from the AEW primer thread I linked earlier:

Then he went to AEW and

He had a really long run with the TNT title and only lost it to Sammy Guevara because he had a hamstring injury. He's currently taking time off to heal and hang out on a boat with his hot wife.

Ah ah ah! Hot, flexible wife. He would definitely not want you to leave that part out.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Didnt Vince McMahon finally publicly admit in the 80s (as part of some legal hearing) that it was fixed and therefore not a sport so that he could pay less taxes or something?

Yes. But remember, Vince thinks that his audience are idiots.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

God drat joy

Thank you for sharing this story. Honestly, I got a little choked up at the reveal of the tickets. That sounds amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Jamesman posted:

Personally, I felt like the novelty wore off after the first competition, which is how I tend to feel about most reality competitions. The later seasons didn't really do anything to change up the formula with the exception of Tough Enough 4, but that was simply because MTV wasn't making it its own show anymore, so WWE had to incorporate it into its normal programming. And I would say those changes were stupid and dangerous for everyone involved.

My memories of the show are pretty fuzzy now, as are my memories of who would get signed and what would become of them. Maybe some other folks have some highlights to mention. In the meantime, please enjoy the theme song for Maven, the male winner of Tough Enough 1, who had a BEAUTIFUL dropkick and had a feud with The Undertaker after kicking him out of the Royal Rumble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z43_wtXsrU

And then listen to the theme song for Nidia, the female winner of Tough Enough 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSyvwLxfdOQ

Soon. I was hoping to find some good clips of them to share first.

I'll leave you with this though.

God, dude. The Spirit Squad, the B-Team, and Zach Ryder and Curtis Axel are such treasures, dude. God bless jobber stables and tag teams. We need more of them. I know that AEW has The Wingmen, but it's not really the same because they get next to no TV time. I don't think I even recall seeing them after their pretty flat feud with Orange Cassidy.