Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I don’t know enough about rasslin to add any insight on Vince as a person, but judging by his behavior, I think it’s safe to say that he hates wrestlers and wrestling fans.

I think a lot of business leaders hate their customers and employees, but because of the nature of his business, Vince is in a position to actively, directly, personally make wrestlers and wrestling fans unhappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Speaking of which, wasn’t there some dude who won the lottery and then tried to start his own wrestling league? Am I remembering that correctly?

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

shadow puppet of a posted:

That was Wrestlicious. And the musical jimmy heart into video is absolutlely must watch as you can mentally tally up the guys money getting drained (he later went bankrupt off a $32.5 million powerball win)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzUZwd9yC3I

Trying to find the right video. The full version ,It’s incredibly long, dozens of corny gimmicks. Jimmy heart put out a press release praising lottery guys financial acumen when it was announced. Probably hasn’t stopped spending his money earned off that to this day.

This is better than I could have hoped for--right down to Jimmy Hart. Thanks!

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Eclipse12 posted:

I used to do reviews of old Raws and was thinking of starting up again. Cool if I post them here?

:peanut:

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Sportsentertainemania

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What holds were they barring up until that point?

The dreaded 'Purple Nurple'

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

MrQwerty posted:

I am not going to venerate myself to participate in the art of Sumo, but I am going to cover my LSU tat with a lovely shark so I can be on a tag team for 3 weeks,

Yet another testament to the dark mind control powers of Kevin Sullivan.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Burning Beard posted:

This is probably older than you guys like but let's take a look at one of the best managers of all time: Gary Hart.

Hart started off as a wrestler. He was pretty decent. But he evolved because he was good on the mic. I think the turning point was the 1975 airplane crash which killed Bobby Shane, an and coming young guy who was pretty drat good. Hart recovered, invested his settlement money and went to work for Fritz Von Erich's World Class promotion. On screen Hart was the evil manager bringing in talent to take down Fritz and the faces. Behind the scenes he was a booker and a drat good one. In his autobiography he tells us he was among the elite class of bookers like Dusty, Jim Barnett of Georgia Championship Wrestling and others. I believe it. His book of WCCW was legendary and spawned one of the greats: Von Erich boys versus The Fabulous Freebirds. Classic wrestling, Georgia shitheels vs. Texas royalty. Then he quit. Why? Fritz hosed him on his pay for the big Christmas Star Wars (yep, Gary thought the name would attract.. it did) card. After that he bounced around, developing wrestlers like the Great Kabuki, managing (in real life) Bruiser Brody and the Butcher and booking for other promotions. In his book he rightly brags that he set WCCW up for success. The Freebirds versus the von Erichs is one of the great classic feuds in wrestling. Before Michael Hayes looked like your sloppy drunk Uncle at a wedding with a Fanny pack, he was a pretty decent wrestler and fantastic on the mic. And the women, at least in the early '80s, loved him. Hart saw that.

However, he always would return to Dallas because that was home. But friction between him and Fritz usually sent him elsewhere. He actually fought for Fritz at the end but after the death of nearly all of his sons to suicide, Fritz was done. Gary managed Al Perez in WCW in the early '90s but that ended when Perez wanted to shoot on Flair and steal the belt. Hart was not on board with that plan and ended the relationship, even though he loved Al. He did some indie work in the '90s but retired and lived off his investments, smoking weed and enjoying life, occasionally going to conventions to hang with fans.

Lots of his promos are on Youtube and he is fantastic on the mic. He is the definitive evil manager, but he's never over the top. Though born and bred in the Upper Midwest he has a slight Texas accent which adds to his persona.

His autobiography is long out of print and stupidly expensive. However, it is freely available on the internet in .pdf form. My Life In Wrestling...With A Little Help From My Friends is the title if you want to search.

I enjoyed this, because I find the old days of wrestling fascinating. When people (mostly) believed it was real, and elaborate medicine-show type promotions traveled from town to town selling violent passion plays, and the wrestlers and managers lived kayfabe to the extent that they had to get into fights in public and travel in separate cars to keep the illusion alive.

Stories about the North Korea match and the Shockmaster are fascinating in an "OMG WTF" way, but seem less substantial somehow.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I suddenly remember that Waluigi in Mario Strikers Charged does their crotch chop, apparently.

That gesture has aged waaaay better than DX.

Taylor Swift did the crotch chop as well, and she is way more famous than any member of DX and arguably more famous than Waluigi.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Sorry no but this is clearly indie wrestling legend The Trashman.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

shadow puppet of a posted:

Then shut up and name some other wrestlers so I can tacoize them.

Mabel

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Well it was a great run of insightful effortposts, but this thread has devolved into arguments about fast food, like all GBS threads eventually do.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

TIL that Jim Cornette, who i can literally remember from my childhood, is somehow still the most hated heel in pro wrestling.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

So from what gather from this thread, pro werestling is now in its post-modern period, where there is no longer any pretense of substance or deeper meaning and everything is either hollow consumer mass-marketing (WWF) or a cheeky send-up of the conventions of the genre (AEW).

And so the population of potential pro wrestling consumers is split into 4 groups: a tiny number of super wealthy patrons who have very specific ideas about what wrestling should be; a small number of people who "get" wrestling and devote a lot of time, effort, and money to it; a medium-sized number of people who used to enjoy wrestling but are unhappy (or downright bitter) about what it has now become; and a very large number of people who don't give a gently caress about wrestling because it doesn't speak to them at all.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Cubone posted:

MJF cut a promo a short while ago about... well, I'm not going to be able to do it justice, but it would be insane to me for someone to suggest that this is somehow guilty of not taking itself seriously
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAf6epYTUAM
this is a man telling a story of when he was a defenseless child, and his hero walked away

holy crap that’s a promo and a half. I actually kind of want to see this match now.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

:chloe:

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Hollismason posted:

I didn't know that the Ultimate Warrior was dead either.

The Ultimate Warrior will never truly die as long as all the wrestling fans out there continue to Never Give Up and to cherish his Warrior values such as...

*checks Wikipedia*

...oh dear.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Hollismason posted:

I'm sorry he did what to a squirrel?

Country boys make do

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I don’t know who plays Vince, but I want Danny McBride to play Jerry Lawler.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

ARMBAR A COP posted:

a piñata on a pole match between Mexicans

:chloe:

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

If this thread gets a gang tag, I vote for “Always Pounding rear end”.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Walla posted:

John Cena has also been quoted as being happy with this arrangement since he credits Vince for his success.

John Cena had also said that he hates Serbia. Because he is Albanian.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Cubone posted:

he never said that

Yes he did you son of a bitch.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Thank goodness someone itt remembered that meme. I was wondering if I was going to have to write up an explanation and/or an apology to John Cena.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

So last night I saw my friends who like wrestling, and they insisted I watch an AEW show from a few weeks ago. It is the second time that I have watched wrestling in like 25 years, so here are my observations as an uniformed spectator, in no particular order:
  • CM Punk and MJF wrestled while connected at the neck by a long chain. I don't know who either of these guys are, and I was clearly missing some context, but the match itself was really really entertaining. At times it felt like a UFC fight between between two guys who hate each other, and at times it felt like a movie fight scene. MJF was a little much sometimes, with his eyes bugging out and whatnot, but I got sucked into the match and really enjoyed watching it.
  • Jim Ross is still calling wrestling matches, but he's a shadow of his former self. Honestly, the announce team was kind of worthless in general. I think we could have safely muted the show.
  • There are two women's champions. One of them is named Jade and looks like the Soviet scientists from Rocky 4 used their machines to design the perfect woman wrestler. The other one is a cartoonishly bitchy dentist, and she is loving wonderful. Both champions seemed to be worse at wrestling than the face-painted Latinas that they were fighting, but not egregiously so.
  • Chris Jericho is still wrestling. The first move of his match looked brutal and for a second I honestly thought Jericho seriously landed on his neck wrong and seriously got hurt. The rest of the match was clumsy and boring.
  • Notable theme songs included the Where Is My Mind, Cult Of Personality, and Tarzan Boy. I like those songs, but it removed any doubts I had about the demographics of pro wrestling.
  • The referees were a lot more assertive and involved than I remember from the old days. This is kind of a cool touch, although it doesn't seem to ever impact the matches.
  • There were a lot of matches with six dudes in the ring, and I didn't enjoy any of them. It was a bunch of random people doing a bunch of random things. People were constantly almost getting pinned or constantly getting hit with furniture or constantly being interfered with. But none of that seemed to matter, and ultimately the matches just kind of ended when they ended.
  • Sting is still (kind of) wrestling? I think someone itt mentioned that, but I guess I just assumed he was a manager or just randomly showed up and hit people with baseball bats. He's looking rough. Maybe he needs the money?
  • Is this twat wearing half a Halo costume as he walks to the ring?
  • For the most part, the female wrestlers were more interesting than the male wrestlers. That might be because both women's matches were championship matches, and it might be because I'd prefer to watch scantily clad women than scantily clad men, but I think there's more to it than that. The women had better costumes and more well-defined personalities. Most of the guys were just schlubs in black tights, and their personalities were either 'wildly gesticulating goof' or 'grumpy uncle.' Sometimes the guys would just stare blankly at each other as if they had forgotten what they were supposed to do, and the announcers would have to tell us how important the moment was.
  • William Regal has trouble standing and walking, but can still get in and out of the ring effortlessly. That's pretty damned cool.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

rndmnmbr posted:

Go watch an episode of AEW Dark on Youtube. Excalibur and Taz on commentary is loving magical.

Ahhhhh actually I do remember when taz showed up to do commentary for one match, and I really did enjoy him a lot. He reminded me of Bobby Heenan and the other old time commentators who would talk trash about the wrestlers in the ring.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

spaceblancmange posted:

Vince instead of Trump as President. Discuss.

All of America's critical infrastructure is diverted to support the XFL. It fails anyway.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

The Papa Shango silent majority has awoken

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

RIP Trolologist. A mark who worked himself into his final shoot.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Szyznyk posted:

Televised snooker.

*insert Mitchell and Webb gif*

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

vince is going to sell the company to nick khan and his children will be lucky to get an advisor role in the new company

I am horrified to think about it what the WWF may look like without McMahons at the helm. What if the new owners let wrestlers use first names?

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

MrQwerty posted:

Hogan's was one of the funniest things I've ever seen, in a sad way

Has anyone dubbed vintage Vince commentary over that sex tape for comedic effect?

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

It's possible for Jerry Lawler to be smart, charming, a great wrestler, AND a horrible unrepentant sex criminal. People are complicated. At least the interesting ones are.

In short, Jerry Lawler is a land of contrasts.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Sad to see that this once-informative thread has devolved into random wrestling clips before we could definitively settle whether or not Vince McMahon is, in fact, old.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Gavok posted:

I'd get to talk about the absolute worst segment in WCW history.

:pray:

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Cornwind Evil posted:

his failings ended up consuming him instead.

I feel like this has been the ending of like 90% of the effortpost bios itt.

Not complaining, just saying.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

MrQwerty posted:

it's a story as old as time

literally, Gilgamesh is about that

Enkidu was the first face turn when you think about it.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Torchlighter posted:

You're also not playing wrestlers during a show, but a wrestling fed doing a show, which I can imagine might throw some people and is three kayfabe layers deep, so its very much a game for nerds with a deeper understanding of the minutiae of wrestling to play than a casual fan who remembers some big names and likes seeing big spots, as it were.

*angrily crumples up character sheet with 'Chilly McFreeze' scrawled at top*

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Actually, according to Hulk Hogan, Muhammad Ali was primarily inspired by Hulk Hogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Starting to think those pythons might not even be 24 inches, brother. :smith: